1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Pipes, Nov 23, 2016.

1. DeeCee5

DeeCee5 Masshole and proud of it

With all this talk about failures, I just want to mention that when a failure occurs @Pipes has been a stand-up guy. I had a problem with my Portside Mini and Pipes immediately sent a replacement part with a link to a video on how to disassemble. So easy a girl could do it (even if she wasn't schooled decades ago as an engineer). :D

Summer, GreenHopper, Hogni and 10 others like this.
  2. Guiltfeeder

Guiltfeeder Member

It only took me a few caps to realize I would have happily paid double for the Skeletor I am using. When you look at the price of other quality vape accessories, the price is really quite fair. I’m no mathematician but I’m quite positive Mr. Pipes is underpaying himself to all of our benifit. If/when DV releases their own IH and it is $100+ (just an assumption), $70 will sound like even more of a steal!!

KeroZen, GreenHopper, Hogni and 7 others like this.
  3. zhong8051

zhong8051 Member

click like this video is slow or fast, everybody ?
    Click to play YouTube Video

4. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Congrats! Seems to work good.

LesPlenty, GreenHopper and zhong8051 like this.
  5. V-apE

V-apE ☼⚡⚡☁☁ ⚡☼☁⚡☼⚡☮☮☮

Looks&sounds good!:tup:

zhong8051 likes this.
  6. phattpiggie

phattpiggie Well-Known Member Accessory Maker

Got an enclosure turned up for my original Skelly heater, it's going out to someone else who fancied it being mains powered.
    Sumac 'log' style heater with Spalted Beech base plate.
    Before the base was fitted
    [​IMG]

I smashed the glass on my Mini today and noticed how dirty it gets, I can only assume vapor must leak out when the load is heated,
    This is the second glass tube I've taken out of an IH and both had the same gunk build up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A Qtip damped in Iso gets rid of most of it.
    Gone with yellow glass this time.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  7. Squiby

Squiby Well-Known Member

WOW! That is a fantastic Skelly outfit! What you call it??? How about Down the Rabbit Hole?

Can you reproduce these now or do you need the actual Skelator there with you to make the fit?

8. Hackerman

Hackerman The Fool

Wow, that's for sure. Put me on the list for one of those. I can see it now, sitting on my desk next to my E-Nano

Once again, very nice.

phattpiggie likes this.
  9. tuuwie

tuuwie New Member

Hey guys
    Newbie here. Bought all the parts listed and put everything together with some help from a friend who's good with soldering and stuff. Used the device a couple of times and it worked really well. Unfortunately, as of yesterday, I seem to have caused a shot on the coil. It's working sometimes, not working otherwise. Checked with a multimeter and the two points on the coil are definitely indicating a shot on the coil with a continuity beep.

I have everything hooked up to a 12v10a box with ample supply. What might have gone wrong? Anything I can do to investigate so I don't mess it up again. Planning to buy a new coil cause I don't think I can fix this one myself.

The only odd thing I noticed was that when my friend brought his new 2018 vapcap over, upon first insertion it started to trip the way it does in the GIF. Post that I used my vapcap in it and it worked fine for about a couple of hours before going bust completely. Any and all advice welcome.

[​IMG]

phattpiggie and GreenHopper like this.
  10. zhong8051

zhong8051 Member

I thing 1 FET death. You can replace new 2 FET

Summer likes this.
  11. tuuwie

tuuwie New Member

Any idea what might have caused the FET to blow?
    Any way for me to check so i can avoid this happening again?
    These parts are tough to come by here in India.

12. zhong8051

zhong8051 Member

I need to know your circuit. Take some detail picture

13. tuuwie

tuuwie New Member

Here you go.
    I have two switches. One for the main power and one as a tactile push button self reset switch for the heating coil. The only thing missing / disconnected in this is the ZVS Induction Heater (<-- link) coil i bought from aliexpress. Thats been sent to an electrical shop just to check things out. Dont know if this tells you anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. zhong8051

zhong8051 Member

I think the issue is the quality of ZVS. You need to test the temperature of ZVS when it working. If anything on the board when heating you touch feeling too hot (about 70 *C) that is not good

15. tuuwie

tuuwie New Member

Should I try plugging it in to the power supply and checking again to see if any components are getting hot? Also, how do I find a good quality Zvs? How does one identify good from bad?

16. Pipes

Pipes Addicted DIY Enthusiast Accessory Maker

You hit the same dilemma as me. Many bad batches these days. In fact, all have been bad since last fall it seems. I test a couple thoroughly from each new batch and sadly find they fail. At that point, I just change out 100% of the FETs for that batch. Found failure rate has gone way down to just a few percent since starting this practice.
    BTW, have tried multiple Ali suppliers and Banggood to find they are all the same. At least they have the diodes in the right way around these days...
    My advice would be to always order a few extra FETs when getting one of these ZVSs and must have some soldering experience. Or know someone that does.
    :science:

17. polykoma

polykoma New Member

Hi

It has been probably said b4 but can you point out which FETs work for you by now?

Thank you and Regards :)

18. Pipes

These NTD4806NG have being working out great. Not the highest specs in the world but good enough for our task. And we know what they are..... lol. Unlike the ones that come with it with no markings. At least not any of the ones I've changed out had markings on them.

GreenHopper and polykoma like this.
  19. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  20. zhong8051

zhong8051 Member

updgrade it using 1 hand like my prototype ^^

21. tuuwie

tuuwie New Member

Hi Pipes. Thanks for chiming in. Just out of curiousity, my problem definitely seems to be a blown MOSFET right? These are encased under the board covered with that casing right?

Swapping them out for these should fix the problem? Do you have a spec for these? Maybe I can find some locally instead of waiting for the 20+ days of shipping.

Much appreciated guys.

22. Pipes

Yes, it's the FETs are gone. The reason is most likely quality issues but look for cold solders as well.
    I've gotten use to changing them. Twist those big coils as much as they will go so you can access the legs. Use hot iron with needle tip in good condition and put under each leg and prey up until lifts off the board. The good news is that the solder bath is so bad they lift easy. Once the two legs are lifted, heat behind the heat sink at the other end. Again with hot iron. Applying a tad of solder will speed up the process. Apply side force until it slips off it's location.
    Solder in new ones. I wedge under the big coil and use the coil to hold in place while I dab solder on the legs. Then solder the heat sink portion back on. Clean up and check work before firing.
    Also, remember to never fire up without the work coil installed.

Just google specs for NTG4806NG. I'm sure DigiKey or alike will have them.

Good luck! ;)

AtomicPB, tuuwie and GreenHopper like this.
  23. mr_cfromcali

mr_cfromcali New Member

Hi, thanks for linking to this here. I am the OP of this post on Reddit and the linked Imgur album of the built unit, and that's my build. It works great and I am very happy with it.

As I said in my notes in that post, I am definitely aware the hard work and trial and error you guys and gals in this thread did to get things to this point. Thanks!

My build. Notable points: momentary switch under coil, MOSFET board and wiring under unit. Works great.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  24. zhong8051

zhong8051 Member

My circuit using IRFZ44N and it working good

Pipes likes this.
  25. zhong8051

zhong8051 Member

Hi everybody,
    I make a new circuit and have some testing the position of the vap in heater.

[​IMG]

I want to know the position of the vap in your heater in any case, 1 or 2 and what the best case ? thank you for reading ^^
    Case 1 the vap tip inside the coil.
    [​IMG]

Case 2 the vap tip outside the coil.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2018

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors