1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Pipes, Nov 23, 2016.

1. cybrguy

cybrguy I mean really, WTF

Well, I know with the JarHead, and I assume with both of the other @Pipes IHs, the receiver of the VapCap is shorter than the tip itself, so it should not matter what VC style you are using, there should be room.

Edit: will/should

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    SSVUN~YAH, Shannock, RUDE BOY and 4 others like this.
  2. analytika

analytika Well-Known Member

Read up on the use of a FET.

3. ThatBoringBitch

ThatBoringBitch Member

Thanks. I just checked again. It appears you’re right. I swear when I checked it before it wasn’t fitting with a particular VonG, but apparently I had a few too many before testing it. :doh:

SSVUN~YAH, Sketch420, Pipes and 3 others like this.
  4. hujdimislav

hujdimislav Well-Known Member

Found this simple wooden box, made a hole, put some magnets and voila, Skelly isn't homeless anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pac-man wants some :)

KeroZen, Hogni, Summer and 16 others like this.
  5. bibblybobbly

bibblybobbly Well-Known Member

I've been trying to go through this thread to find the info I need but I'm stuck on something.

I've ordered the induction heater unit evreybody uses. I notice that the coil is covered with some enamel coating. Does this mean that the vapcap can touch the coil and the user doesn't get a shock? Regardless, could the heat wear away at the coating?

I've seen some nice designs on here like this [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    that appear to havea a little glass bucket that the vapcap can sit in. What are these called and where can I get them from? What is the best way to attach them to the coil?

Hogni and Summer like this.
  6. V-apE

V-apE ☮☮☮

Summer, Pipes, RUDE BOY and 1 other person like this.
  7. polykoma

polykoma Member

It would be so fantastic if the used LEDs for the glass chamber could be added to the parts list.
    I ordered some but I'm not 100% if they are correct ones...
    Or is there any closer information about within this thread? (Maybe I missed something)

I saw the pictures how its put together.........

@bibblybobbly the shop for the glass tube has no delivery fee. I ordered 2 for 4$ total with shipping to Germany . Awesom!

SSVUN~YAH likes this.
  8. V-apE

V-apE ☮☮☮

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Philreal187, AtomicPB, Hogni and 3 others like this.
  9. polykoma

polykoma Member

Ahhh okay - since im kinda LED junky i know strawhead means - rounded led with a sawed off head. I used them once when i put an "arduinome monome clone" together. Using strawheads.

But the square shaped ones look nice as well.
    Ill order both for my electronics box.

Thanks a lot for the fast reply!!!

SSVUN~YAH and V-apE like this.
  10. Pipes

Pipes Addicted DIY Enthusiast Accessory Maker

Was using round standard LEDs, now I use the square type as easier to fit into place. :science:
    3 in series and a 470 ohm current limit resistor.

frankbhelger, AtomicPB, Hogni and 3 others like this.
  11. bibblybobbly

bibblybobbly Well-Known Member

Interesting... so the glass tub is actually an e-cig glass tank. And it's a tube, not a cup shape...

I think I've only seen battery powered designs so far. Does anyone know of a way of making it plug into the wall? Is there some kind of power supply you can get that will supply the right voltage/current/whatever? What are the considerations there?

EDIT: whoops dumb. The FAQ mentions "12 Volt Power supply" Any more details on that?

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  12. polykoma

polykoma Member

The FAQ says:

Optional Stuff:
    12 Volt Power supply* - $15 (comes standard with Jarhead, optional for battery powered units.)
    *Not to be used with batteries installed or to charge the batteries.

So i guess its 12V - 5A regarding the sizes i saw here in the thread

Can someone verify?

Dynavaper likes this.
  13. Pipes

Many supplies have trouble, even if rated over 6 amp. Here is what I wrote about it a few pages back. 8+ amp rating would be less likely to have any problems of shutting off. But are more expensive.

SSVUN~YAH, AtomicPB, Hogni and 3 others like this.
  14. asdf420

asdf420 Well-Known Member

I accidentally plugged in a laptop charger (17.somethingV? 19V?)
    It still works. But it seems to suddenly run out of battery, from (while in use) 3 blue indicators to 2, to 0 (just the red led. or nothing)

15. Edgedamage

Edgedamage Well-Known Member

How low was the charge before the accident? You may have damaged the protection circuitry, and now the battery is running unprotected. Are you using 18650s ?

16. asdf420

asdf420 Well-Known Member

@Edgedamage the charge could have been anywhere between ran out (BMS or whatever shut off) or medium, not sure. It was a 19V, 3.42A charger, center positive. Stock Portside Mini from Pipes.

It still finishes charging, with the proper charger, with a green light. Sometimes it seems like there's a glint of green along with the red LED..

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  17. Pipes

The BMS does have over voltage protection but it's rather high at 4.3 volt area. If the batteries were not new, this may have damaged one or all of them but very hard to say. If the unit functions for a while, then I'd say the BMS is likely fine. I have my money on the battery(s) :hmm:

polykoma, asdf420 and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  18. Edgedamage

Watching the disassembly video, if you open the bottom the lipo is right there. If yours is puffed looking like a pillow it is damaged.

polykoma and asdf420 like this.
  19. Pipes

Use it for a for a couple cycles and see if things improve.
    This may just be a mis-reading of the battery indicator. You might have read it without load and it gave an indication of close to full. Always do the read while the VC is inserted and getting heated.
    :\

20. cybrguy

cybrguy I mean really, WTF

Is it me or does it seem like the tip gets hotter faster with the IH than it does with a torch? Not the cap, the tip.

21. Edgedamage

Oh damm you where right about it getting scary fast!! I bought two of these boards, one was always on my work bench. Connected to a computer PSU with 20amp 12v rail. I was messing with it, doing current draw tests. I was using small pieces of metal and heating them to a dull glow, and then switching the PSU off. I used a empty Vapcap on my next test, a FET let the smoke out. Then the connector started smoking, next the PSU went into short protection. Pipes is right don't use batteries with these unless you have fuse protection. That blown FET became a instant hard short, lithium cells give you no first or second chances with hard shorts. My black box is not running off batteries, until my BMS arrives.

22. Pipes

This is also an example of why not to use those connectors. Hard solder is best.
    Also, a good example of pushing these things past their limits. The VC is right up there pushing 6 amps or 72 watts. The advertised rating for the device is 100-120 watts depending on seller. I find many fail pushing much less. In fact, I've being changing out all the FETs for a couple months now because of quality issues. The FETs that come with them do not even have any markings so can't tell what they are using.
    Thanks for sharing @Edgedamage ! :science:

23. Edgedamage

Can you tell me which fets you are using? The one i killed is marked:
    NO6

GreenHopper likes this.
  24. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

@Pipes, do those of us with previously purchased units ( in my case specifically the PS) have to worry about this failure occurring?

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Hogni likes this.
  25. Edgedamage

Keep in mind I was abusing my work bench heater, I got it up to 9.8 amps. I was heating round bar stock, old needle nose pliers. Also what I believe killed the FET was the slow power off that PSU,s do when only one thing is connected to it. I feel if used only for the vapcap failures like this would be super rare.

Summer likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors