• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Not sure how detailed you need. It would likely benefit you to go through the picture album by clicking one of my pictures and go through them. You will find some good shots like the one below that should guide you through how to wire it. You do need some basic understanding of electronics to avoid any basic mistakes.
Also, keep in mind that we are dealing with high current and FETs so mistakes will likely cost you the FET drivers as they will blow with bad connections.

:science:

passenger

is this thing on?
Just checking in here to tell anyone who is still ambivalent that since I got the PS I NEVER use the lighter anymore if I have the choice. And I fucking like the lighter. That's how good Pipes' creation is. The Vapcap is killer without the IH but with it, it's a stellar expirience. Love it. :clap:

Duppypog

Hey Guys. This is for those who have wondered about the plausibility of using induction for their VapCap. The answer is, yes it works excellent. Surprised me as there seems to hardly have enough mass, but seems not an issue at all.
I used the cheapest induction heater I could find. Driving it with a power supply I have are left over from when I was making the Solo PA. Still have a dozen or so of these pups. Problem is he only sells in lots of 20. But I suspect this one will work just as well. Haven't visited in a while so might find better deals out there. A key point to watch for is what happens when the max current draw is met. The supply I'm using turns into a constant current supply when 5 amps is reached and starts to lower voltages to maintain 60 watts. This works out in our benefit in this application.
The adjustment for heat transfer is actually physically widening or narrowing the spaces in the driver coil.
If coil is pushed such that the winding is close together, the unit draws 6-7 amps when the VC is inserted and clicks in 2 seconds. I spaced out the coil such that it draws 5 amps and takes 5 seconds to set off the click in the VC.

Here is the "working concept" mock up:

20161123_191649-1_zpshmtihqc4.jpg

From here is just a matter of a switch and cosmetics. I think a FET switch would be the best route. To trigger the switch a couple low power tensile switches in parallel. One accessible by external press and the other pressed with insertion of the VC. And with a circuit similar to the above link, an off time delay variable resistor could be installed for heat timing. Maybe set to turn off shortly after the click sounds..?

I envision this as a two piece device. Home power supply detachable and a standard car accessory plug to take its place. Could Velcro it to either the home supply or dashboard.

Enjoy!!!
&
Thoughts?

:science:
I am new to this forum and not sure where to post this. I am interested in purchasing one of your induction heaters for the Vapcap M. I am struggling with the torch lighters and twisting the M. I have arthritis and I'm not getting clouds of smoke, wasting a lot of product (I use for chronic pain). If you could let me know what to do to be able to purchase one of your heaters I'd be so grateful. Thank you.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I am new to this forum and not sure where to post this. I am interested in purchasing one of your induction heaters for the Vapcap M. I am struggling with the torch lighters and twisting the M. I have arthritis and I'm not getting clouds of smoke, wasting a lot of product (I use for chronic pain). If you could let me know what to do to be able to purchase one of your heaters I'd be so grateful. Thank you.

Hi, welcome to FC.

The induction heater sounds perfect for your use case.

Click the below link to start a conversation with @Pipes. The link should initiate a private message, you should let @Pipes know which model you are interested in.

Start a conversation with @pipes

Here is the FAQ

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@Fat Freddy It's a magnet I bought ages ago, @Pipes puts magnets on the Mini.

Since I got a Skelly I've done nothing but single click bowls, other than when I was testing battery life.

I used to do the same with my triple torch but the IH makes for better consistency.

Count 3-5 after the first click, toke until you notice the vapor drop off then back on the heat for 1-2.

You may find 1-2 isn't enough so add a bit more.

Better to add a little at a time than toast the load.

MinnBobber

?? Is it normal for the charger tip to fit really really loose on the input pin?

It has like 10 degrees of wobble when snapped on the pin.

What are light codes on charger body: red is charging and green is fully charged?

I had an issue getting it to work but was not pushing the VC in---thought it could just
rest at the bottom. You need to push down and then hear/feel a little click.

It sure heats up fast and I was not happy with trying to use torches...

Last edited:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Generally, I found the chargers fit quite tight. Almost too tight and find you need to press hard to get the plug in initially. It does work in, although, you don't need to push in completely anyway. Maybe it has some movement from side to side when not all the way in..? If it is problematic, let me know.
Correct, red is charging, goes to orange near full and green when complete.
The old, (it's not doing anything?) PMs. Yes, I get these sometimes, do to people thinking it has optical switch. I did add to FAQ. Need to press down till you hear/feel the switch. I opted for the tach switch as if using optical switch, there has to be current flowing for the sensor to work. The tach switch scheme uses no current in standby. The tach switch has proven to be very reliable as so far, no failures do to switch going bad.
IMO, This gadget beats the lighters hands down. Although, I may be biased...:p

Have fun with them guys. :science:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Generally, I found the chargers fit quite tight. Almost too tight and find you need to press hard to get the plug in initially. It does work in, although, you don't need to push in completely anyway. Maybe it has some movement from side to side when not all the way in..? If it is problematic, let me know.
Correct, red is charging, goes to orange near full and green when complete.
The old, (it's not doing anything?) PMs. Yes, I get these sometimes, do to people thinking it has optical switch. I did add to FAQ. Need to press down till you hear/feel the switch. I opted for the tach switch as if using optical switch, there has to be current flowing for the sensor to work. The tach switch scheme uses no current in standby. The tach switch has proven to be very reliable as so far, no failures do to switch going bad.
IMO, This gadget beats the lighters hands down. Although, I may be biased...:p

Have fun with them guys. :science:

Totally beats the lighters!

The other thing I like about using the tactile switch is there is no chance one of my dumb ass friends could accidentally leave a VapCap in the coil cooking as you have to actively hold the VC down on the switch. I have seen my friend's put the VC back into the coil after hitting it, just as a place to store it.

DirtyD

If you buy a vapcap, and you like it, and you think "maybe I don't have the funds right now to buy a pipes ih", save up your precious pennies and make sure you get a pipes ih. No shit it quantums the vapcap device full on into the Universe . An investment in your future fun with vapcaps. Do it, Do it, Do it... Cheers, D.

Top Bottom