1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Pipes, Nov 23, 2016.

1. dtrdrk

dtrdrk New Member

thanks a lot Pipes! i really appreciate your input. will let you know how it goes. and i found your faq just now :)

GreenHopper, The Beagle and Pipes like this.
  2. MAbud

MAbud Well-Known Member

Can you link the FAQ? Looking for it myself

The Beagle likes this.
  3. Hippie

Hippie Well-Known Member

GreenHopper and The Beagle like this.
  4. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

The PortSide comes complete with a lill charger doo-dad. Why didn't anyone tell me!

The batteries have lasted so long on the initial charge I gave before installing them that they have yet to run out. I only use it a few times a week. I found the included charger when cleaning out my surplus boxes and packing material in the garage.

:rofl:

Zecrono, AtomicPB, paehtod and 4 others like this.
  5. Edgedamage

Edgedamage Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I went the mech mod route, direct connection via a heavy duty switch. I used a old wooden box it runs off a 2.0 amp 12v external drive power supply for around the house. Taking it outside it runs off three LG HG2 18650s. In fact the batteries see the IH as a vacation from running @20.5 amps in my ecig mod. From cold the M heats up in 5sec. [​IMG]The box will be painted black, i just have to stop using it for a day.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Zecrono, Sketch420, DirtyD and 12 others like this.
  6. Pipes

Pipes Addicted DIY Enthusiast Accessory Maker

Very cool.
    Not sure if you have a BMS mounted on the rear of your battery pack, but if not, I'd highly recommend you add a circuit breaker or at minimum, an in line 10-15 amp fuse. A good quality inline automotive type will suffice. Those are not super quality heaters and can fail which usually ends with a FET being shorted out. If no protection, the power will flow until something gives. If the circuity doesn't sizzle open, then the wires and connectors will heat and batteries will end up off gassing, or worse. Can get scary, very fast.
    Please play safe.:D
    But keep on playing. :science:

Oh yeah, are you sure about your power supply specs?
    Can't be a 2 amp unit. :hmm:

Zecrono, AtomicPB, paehtod and 4 others like this.
  7. Edgedamage

Edgedamage Active Member

Its a LaCie HDD external power supply, if I push the M past the fins the power supply cuts power. As for protection the switch is a 10 amp automotive momentary switch with a heavy spring, no way that thing is shorting closed. As for balancing the cells that job is up to my nitecore charger.

Pipes and The Beagle like this.
  8. MAbud

MAbud Well-Known Member

Joined the Portside Mini list...now comes the difficult task of waiting. Patience is not my strong suit

Zecrono, paehtod, GreenHopper and 5 others like this.
  9. tragique

tragique Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help about the M. I found my sweet spot for it was right around 5-6 seconds after the click. It gives me the same kind of high I got when heating as low on the cap as I could with a torch. I still can't believe how convenient this thing is, and since charging it 3 days ago, I haven't had to even plug it in yet, battery still has some juice.

10. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

In my experience 4s is already very hot, when I want to taste my flowers I heat the M for 4s for the first cycle but after I only heat for 3s, if I want to cash my load I continue to heat for some 4s heating cycles... even with concentrates I rarely pass the 4s mark (after the clic).

The M+Pipes induction heater handles perfectly the dense rosin chips, I cut them with scissors and pack the M tightly, very long and cloudy session, even tasty for the 2-4 fist hits .

Please @Pipes , is it an issue to let it plugged for months? in fact it was never unplugged from the wall plug since I got it (even while unusued for week)...

GreenHopper and The Beagle like this.
  11. Cyfcyf

Cyfcyf New Member

Hey there!
    I am new here, but have been lurking a bit and am totally amazed by the work done here!

I tried myself on building one of these but failed miserably...

I got a batterypack which is 12V 20c rated and a sufficiently rated powerswitch.
    When i hooked it all up and switched it on the the resistor next to the the LED (labled R5) just went poof and i quickly turned it off... :( There a no visible signs of damage at the resistor, but it is definitely broken...

Is it due to a faulty heater or did i miss something? Polarity was correct and also nothing was inserted in the coil...

Pipes likes this.
  12. Pipes

Hate to say it, but this is not great battery maintenance for sure. You will lose mAhs as the batteries were/are continually cycling at the top volt or so. Think of it like a laptop computer, many leave plugged all the time, but when they go to be stand alone, the battery dies quick.

@Cyfcyf, love seeing people DYIing it themselves. Hard to say what could have gone bad or if you just had a bad one from the start. The driver FETs are likely shorted if you had all hooked up right. I've had my share as well. Sometimes the soldering is to blame or even a bad tank cap can cause this. Also, ensure you never apply power without the work coil attached. Avoid using those stupid screw down connectors if possible too. Or at least triple check them before powering up. Don't give up, very satisfying once you get it going. :science:

Zecrono, AtomicPB, The Beagle and 5 others like this.
  13. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

Maybe I posted in the wrong thread but I have the PortHead which don't need any battery, just a wall plug.

14. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

Ah, @PPN, then you have the JarHead, not the battery-driven Skeletor or Portside. I guess, @Pipes has to re-answer your question.

The Beagle and PPN like this.
  15. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

Oh yes it's a Jarhead, not a Porthead..... I didn't drunk enough coffee and vaped enough bowls!

The Beagle, rz and Summer like this.
  16. wileycoyote1103

wileycoyote1103 Active Member

@Pipes, Interested in building my own, Do you have an updated parts list with links other than the FAQ?
    I noticed a few are discontinued. or bad page.

17. Pipes

@PPN, no problem then. It can be left plugged in all the time. Porthead... :haw:

I'd have to go through the list. Any part in particular?
    :science:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    PPN, SloJimFizz, Summer and 2 others like this.
  18. wileycoyote1103

wileycoyote1103 Active Member

PM'D

Pipes likes this.
  19. antispleen

antispleen Hyperborean Wanderer

Click to play YouTube Video

Heres a link http://www.easyinsmile.com/en/digit...red-electronic-sensor-induction-carving-.html

They can be found for as little as 60 bucks on eBay. Any thoughts? Would these work?

The Beagle and Summer like this.
  20. dtrdrk

dtrdrk New Member

i just received my induction board. there is one thing im wondering: im trying to get a really slim form factor. could i desolder the two inductors and the two caps and lay them flat right next to the board with some wires? i assume its not a problem at all for the caps, but im not sure about the inductors. can anyone help?

The Beagle and GreenHopper like this.
  21. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known Member

Major breakthrough with skelly housing. From cigar box( looked shady as all hell) to fake "yeti" cup . If you are a traveling person you need to do this. The big yet I cup. You can make skelly fit in there, just gotta drill out a bigger hole to fit diameter of glass tube. Gasket. Go straight to all the town's. Stabbing the cup holder with your pipes I h in an insulated s s tumbler. Fly down the highway. Be careful tho. And merry Xmas, D.

Dustydurban, GreenHopper and Summer like this.
  22. phattpiggie

phattpiggie Well-Known Member Accessory Maker

@dtrdrk I've moved the caps around a few times, soldered both of them together then used solid copper wire from the legs to the board.

Huge thank you to @Pipes for the opportunity to be the first to give this thing a whirl.
    Great fun and I learned a lot.

Nice surprise in a Canadian package today as well, thank you. I'll be sniffing some flux over the festive period especially since a couple of 800mah Turnigy's arrived yesterday.

I'm doing a med grind and straw method of loading.

It's just over an hour to fully charge. Without having sat and watched for the green light I can say an hour and 10 was the quickest I noticed an there were a couple of hour and 20's.

Been tallying 'click to click' and 'dip til done' heat cycles.
    No matter how I heat the M has given an average of 15 bowls, Ti has been 17.
    That's usually around a gram and is two days usage for me.
    [​IMG]
    I can't fault it, the li-po felt fierce at first due to the increase on the C rating from my VTC4's but now I'm used to it I prefer it this way. Especially with the M.
    [​IMG]
    Only tried on a set of kitchen scales but it weighs the same as the tin of soda.
    [​IMG]
    The battery level indicator works differently, it's as if the first 2 blue LED's are 6 heat cycles each and the third one equates to only 3.
    It's just a matter of having to read the indicator in a different manner.
    That's the only thing that threw me to start with coming from the Skelly.
    [​IMG]
    It fits fine in my Beats headphone case but it's still a little large for a the pocket in a pair of jeans. A jacket would be fine.
    I've got visions of all the people on the Mini lists walking around with soda tins in their pockets now:lol:

If you are on the list for one of these you should not be disappointed, having been inside this one I can say given the current build unless you get a smaller li-po you will not get a smaller induction heater.

Thanks again to Pipes for doing all this in his spare time, the Induction Heater is the best accessory any VC owner could have. I wouldn't be without mine now.

23. phattpiggie

phattpiggie Well-Known Member Accessory Maker

A little kief sandwich to get my mind and body set to handle sharp objects and fast spinning acylics

Zecrono, Alegre, Pipes and 9 others like this.
  24. Nilsson

Nilsson Well-Known Member

Yes, these work too, but they have an auto shutdown, a friend is using one of these ocasionally. After the auto shut down the unit will not heat up for 3 minutes. I dont know if this is also the case for the unit you found.

GreenHopper and Summer like this.
  25. Kermitt

Kermitt Well-Known Member

One question to the Portside. The instructions say the following:

"Note to advanced users: The Portside or PSM can be run like a Jarhead if batteries are removed. Meaning a high output 12 volt supply can be used, if batteries are removed ONLY!
    Do not get charger and supply confused. Can have very bad results."

But which output is high enough?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    The Beagle likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors