VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

AtomicPB

Just noticed something, not sure if it's an issue or not. Went to charge up my skelly today (only the 3rd time) and the chager is making a strange noise. Sounds kind of like air hissing/ buzz. Anyone else noticed the same thing or possibly an issue with the charger?

Funny, I charged my Portside for the second time today with the included charger and heard a buzzing sound as well. Not sure if I overheard it the first time or if it was new today. It was very noticeable in a quiet room.

I heard a more high pitched tone from my phone charger (Samsung Charger) as well.

Maybe it is normal that those kind of chargers make a little noise???

Maybe someone with more knowledge can advice.

AtomicPB,
Reactions: Pipes

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Yes, this buzzing has been reported quite a few times. It only buzzes under heavy charge when the batteries are very low. It quiets down as the charge comes up. I dare say this is normal but haven't had any actually fail from this buzzing. I believe it to be a coil in the charger kicking up a little fuss about the low battery. Report back if it fails or the buzz continues through the whole charge cycle.
:sherlock:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Messing around with my new thermometer today. Here is the VapCap M being heated with Pipes' jarhead:

DmKNAOH.jpg

The cross marks where I took the M out of the heater (about 1 second after the click). This was done with an empty M, so no herb was harmed during this test.

:peace:

MinnBobber

The cross marks where I took the M out of the heater (about 1 second after the click). This was done with an empty M, so no herb was harmed during this test.
.............................................................................................
Thanks for the testing and so glad no herb was harmed for this test....

Wow, after removal it looks like temp climbed 40 degrees (370-410). Latent/residual heat transfer after the fact.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Messing around with my new thermometer today. Here is the VapCap M being heated with Pipes' jarhead:

DmKNAOH.jpg

Interesting results man, any chance you could run another test but drawing air through the VapCap after removing from the IH to simulate a draw?

AtomicPB

Yes, this buzzing has been reported quite a few times. It only buzzes under heavy charge when the batteries are very low. It quiets down as the charge comes up. "..." I believe it to be a coil in the charger kicking up a little fuss about the low battery.

I've found that mine when charging goes through different tones. You can hear the IC switching the charging frequency and cycling.

Since you are mentioning it, I can remember now, that I did not hear any buzzing right before the Portside was done charging.

I wasn't really worried about the buzzing, but I got curious that it got mentioned here right after I had recognised it myself sooner that day. Worst that could happen would be buying a new charger.

I just used my triple torch once since I received the Portside the comfort of it is unbeatable. :tup:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Haha I hadn't used a torch since I got my IH until I had to show a friend how to heat their VC. It was weird going back to it. I love my IH and it's revolutionised my VapCapping.

In regards to the charger noise, I've gotten used to that as well. I charge up once every 4-5 weeks so it's not like it's on every day. Once I realised it's just the charger smarts switching frequencies and performing ramp up and ramp down charge cycles in a rather noisy fashion I became a lot more comfortable with it.

In fact I noticed the other day my AA/AAA niMH charger doing exactly the same thing but at higher frequencies and not as loud.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Wow, after removal it looks like temp climbed 40 degrees (370-410). Latent/residual heat transfer after the fact.
I think it has more to do with the delay on the thermometer which I can't really account for, but that's just a guess.

Interesting results man, any chance you could run another test but drawing air through the VapCap after removing from the IH to simulate a draw?
I'll do that next time. :nod:

rz

I had seen and found the links below interesting, though it seems the abuse the batteries are subjected to for capacity loss tests are much harsher than in an IH.

For instance, Mooch's tests are 50x continuous cycles of 4A charge and continuous discharge @ 15Amp with 60s between phases, which he admits is harsh, so equates it to 200 charge cycles.

The 7~10 amps for 15~20 second initial heat up + 5 second recovery heat up time between hits a few cycles a day doesn't even tickle these batteries, specially not with the lower internal R., so I'm hoping they'll maintain their initial capacity pretty well specially avoiding deep discharge, overcharge, charging at <1A.

Even so, with my use cases (most of which we share on this thread), and specially since I have a few units around, I'll only be charging these like once a week, so 200 charge cycles for a ~5% DIFFERENCE in battery degradation would take at least 4 years for a battery that performs a (marginally?) bit better to begin with sounds fine to me. Within a year I'll have even more units in the rounds, so charge cycle degradation differences is not much of a concern.

I originally planned to get 2x30Q, 2xHG2, 2xVT6s but VT6's appear to be better for my current use case so I just got them. I may have some other reason to think some other battery is a better idea tomorrow morning, and could have spent the next few years scratching my head about the differences between them. I'm sure I'd be happy with any of the top few batteries, and doubt I'd actually notice much of a difference. Not sure if it's better to have different kinds of batteries around so I can experiment with that, or prefer to have more of the same kind to make it easier to compare other differences between my systems. Not sure it matters too much if I do this or that, as long as I'm enjoying it one way or another :D

P.S I'm (wildly?:D) guessing that I'll be buying more batteries in my future, and I'll probably get different ones to try out next time. Happy for now that I have a bunch of great cells on their way to me :D

https://www.facebook.com/batterymooch/posts/1910933909196186:0

and

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...ults-a-great-battery-equaling-hg2-30q.754649/

yungstar

My skeletor will be here much sooner than my batteries. Anything I can do to use it in the meantime?

yungstar,

ChaiLifeOR

Can we have an option that doesn't use wood? This can be a problem for overseas customers but for myself, I'd really like something durable and clean (a metal or glass enclosure) that can be kept in a concentrate processing space for example. I do not allow wood near my processing since it cannot be wiped down with iso.

I look forward to seeing where this one goes!

As well it would be nice to see some kind of either varied temp (or if this leads to combustion, an option to change how long the heat stays on for - concentrate use necessitates heating up to 5 seconds past the click!).
I was taking wonderful hits of live resin in my NonaVong S just yesterday. Just gotta pack it about halfway, put in like half a rice grain sized amnt, and then fill the chamber with herb and pack as usual. Using a Vertigo triple torch, and my technique(which usually only gets me 2-3 hits per pack, sometimes only 1,) I usually hear the sound of the live resin vaporizing right around the time of the first click. By the second, things are perfect.

Also, I’m interested in the current state of the project/availability. I’m definitely interested at the right price. Mostly because I feel like the torch turns people away from wanting to try my DynaVap. Or at most, they’ll want me to heat it properly and then hand it to them, so that they can find the carb and miss out on the best part of the hit...

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Batch 4 Portsides are complete and notifications sent out.
If I missed anyone, let me know. :)

Any new requests for any models will not be ready until into the new year including the PS batch 5 and initial mini list. :( Getting low on a few different parts but have more on order. I will get a few more done off the current Skeletor and JH lists by Christmas, but new requests will not make it.

The Mini is still in evaluation stages and so far looking promising. There will be a placement change for the Power switch and charging port, as suggested by @phattpiggie, to the top. This will make more space for the battery and gives easier access for charging while installed wherever, or pocketed.

Can't believe Xmas has come up so quick. Less than a month off.
Cheers all, :cheers:

Square4Life

Hey @Pipes got a question for ya. So while I love the shit out of my Portside, I still feel the torch can get me a fuller extraction (get to where I'm not getting any additional vapor with PS, pull out torch and get an additional two hits)...which didn't make sense considering how I can combust easy if I wanted to with the PS. That led me to wondering if there was a way to tone the PS down some, basically it would take longer to heat up but would the slower heat up would aid in heating up evenly. I'm wondering if the PS is actually a bit too hot and therefore doesn't get the inside as evenly extracted.

THEN, I got to wondering if the batteries could dictate how 'hot' the PS was? I'm currently using three LG HG2s.

Anyhow, the mind gets to wandering and just thought I'd ask lol TIA!

Top Bottom