1. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Pipes, Nov 23, 2016.

1. rz

rz Well-Known Member

Not really an aftermarket upgrade. TBH, this thing is still far from leaving my work-bench. I have no intentions of actually making them, rather that I'd be more than glad to contribute to development of a portside 2.0. Induction heating the VC is awesome and @Pipes is leading the way, so enjoy your 1.0 while it's hot out the door! :) Hope I didn't cause any confusion..

2. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

No confusion at all bud, I suspected as much.

I like the idea and I wanted to show some enthusiasm for the concept.

If further down the line there's a 2.0 or even better a 2.0 kit (skeletor) that I can cram into my 1.0 with the aid of a dremel, goggles, hammer, bigger hammer, soldering iron, etc... , then I'd definitely be interested.

Pipes, SSVUN~YAH and danald2000 like this.
  3. Diggy Smalls

Diggy Smalls Daily Roaster

Oh my gosh somehow I've been sleeping on this thread. I really don't have expendable money right now cause I'm saving to go to Cali, but I really want to get one of the Skeletors (I think that's right) to put in my own small enclosure.

I really love the different options, so awesome. Jarhead still looks really cool. Anyway, I'm over here just dreaming of this. Thanks for all the photos mates, they really inspire me.

4. Kalessin

Kalessin Well-Known Member

@Pipes haven't read all of the thread, only after about page 8, so I hope I didn't miss the answer to this but I was wondering about how replaceable the batteries are on the Portside? I'm assuming it probably won't be an issue for some time, but I am curious if it would be possible for someone with no real electrical skills to do

GreenHopper, danald2000 and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  5. Pipes

Pipes Addicted DIY Enthusiast Accessory Maker

Nope, that was never asked and is actually a very good question.
    A phillips screw driver will be needed along with the 3 each, "flat top" 20 Amp minimum drain batteries.
    Fastest method will be to remove the two screws on the left on the front and the opposite two screws on the rear. The right side will slide forward along with the front plate leaving the main stuff and rear panel behind. The battery holder will then be directly accessible once pulled 1/2 way apart. I am going to mark the polarities, as the molded markings are more for parallel configuration and can be confusing. But nothing will work until you get it right anyway, thanks to the protection.

BTW, have made a slight mod to the Skeletor and will post a bit later..... :brow:

6. Pipes

Portside:

[​IMG]

Skeletor:

[​IMG]

I have made a minor change to the Skeletor unit. It is configured in the smallest way possible for overall real-estate. However, to make the top of coil slightly protrude over the battery holder height, it had to be lifted higher above the driver board. So I added a spacer "of sorts" under the coil driver board. The needed height ended up being very close to the measurements of a Tic-Tac container. I think the end user can figure out a use for the extra space. I did have to trim about 5mm from around the top of container.

Here's some shots of the the Skeletor from different angles. I have felted over the bottom as well, so can be used as is without fear of scratching the table.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

If some re-configuring is needed, there is no problem as it is all held together with high quality double sided adhesive tape. It can be gently preyed apart if needed.

The Portside will still be a few weeks away but these can be made upon request. Just have to pick up more Tic-Tacs...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 8:01 PM
    Hogni, grokit, marduk and 18 others like this.
  7. jambandphan03

jambandphan03 Change Agent

I'm just finding all of this :) need to get my hands on a VapCap still... looks really cool Pipes :D

8. dorkus_molorkus

dorkus_molorkus Well-Known Member

wow, utterly amazing.

well done @Pipes

the ingenuity of this community boggles the mind.

:whoa::whoa::whoa::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::rockon::rockon::rockon:

GreenHopper, SSVUN~YAH, Pipes and 2 others like this.
  9. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

Is this induction system will work with the Vaponic?

That's amazing @Pipes !

10. Andreaerdna

Andreaerdna If God is the answer, then the question is wrong

I tryied

Vaponic glass is not heated by induction unfortunately.

I tryied the concentrate screen too but it isn't working either.

Have a cylindrical steel tube I want to try (heating metal by induction and heat outer vaponic glass by conduction/radiation) but had little time to play these days

11. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

Thanks for the fast reply.... I remenber somebody posted one of the @Pipes ideas to heat the Vaponic ...although it wasn't induction in fact...

GreenHopper, Pipes and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  12. Hippie Dickie

Hippie Dickie The Herbal Cube Manufacturer

you could wrap the glass with a metal foil, eh? magnetic type.

GreenHopper, Pipes, rz and 4 others like this.
  13. Pipes

A quick FYI. I've updated my signature to have a link to a Induction heater FAQ page.
    Click the Jarhead to access. Same as the Eraser and SF. Others link to different slide shows.

Also, enclosures are in Canada as well as the power switches. Fiber cable is a different story but will figure something out. Should receive the main stuff in a few days. A couple weeks assembly time and we should see some Portside movement.

Also, welcome @jambandphan03! Being a while. You will enjoy the VC. ;)

14. virtualpurple

virtualpurple Well-Known Member

@Pipes I think you know that I'm an automatic buy-in. You are the man!

SSVUN~YAH and GreenHopper like this.
  15. Alexis

Alexis Open minded philosopher and realist.

I think I will be very interested in a heater for my Omnivap. I gave up on it recently because I have some issues with my hands and wrists and pick up repetitive strain injury and tendonitis from both using a torch llghter, and twirling the vapcap.

Could anybody please reference me to the best pages to get an idea of what, if any of the models are available so far?

And if they ship to the UK? I intend to read this thread through, but just trying to see if this will be a goer for me first.

GreenHopper and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  16. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

Sorry to hear about the RSI, I know how that feels.

Best post to check out for model details and shipping costs is: 228 Page 10.

There maybe a few JarHead models available: 203 Page 9 (requires a high wattage 120w/10a 12v power supply, you'll have to supply your own).

The PortSide has been prototyped and @Pipes is working on the first batch now, he can let you know if there are still units available in batch 1. (requires 3x flat top 18650 batteries High Discharge 20 amp minimum, you'll have to supply your own).

The install in your own case 'Kit' 218 Page 9 (requires a high wattage 120w/10a 12v power supply and a case to install it into, you'll have to supply your own).

"International will be up to the buyer to pick but seems $20 slow boat without tracking will be the norm as jumps like crazy after that. $30 Air and $40 Air with tracking." - @Pipes

Hogni, grokit and SSVUN~YAH like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors