VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

cgod

So does the Caldron work and perform pretty much identical to the Portside Mini? For $75 I may have to make the purchase, always wanted an induction heater from Pipes but didn't NEED it as I was happy with my torch, this thread is huge and right now I am super busy and stressed with work to look for the pages as I usually do, so if any members can be kind enough to give me a quick rundown on any differences I seriously would appreciate it, I may have to make my first induction heater purchase!

myla

Anvibian
The Caldron works and performs equally or slightly better than PSM. Battery devices always perform slightly below average when battery is running low, Caldron doesn't have this problem. I have been using the PSM for almost a year until I have my Caldron recently which has completely replaced the PSM in-house.

cgod

The Caldron works and performs equally or slightly better than PSM. Battery devices always perform slightly below average when battery is running low, Caldron doesn't have this problem. I have been using the PSM for almost a year until I have my Caldron recently which has completely replaced the PSM in-house.
So what does the Caldron use as it's power source? I'm guessing it isn't battery powered? Asking because I plan on using it on the go mostly

yeswecann

You can kind of lay an XL inside the larger section but you give up over half of your storage space within the Box. And you're only fitting a 92 mm in the long single slot. In spite of this it IS still a cool case, though.

As for the Aomai, I've had it for nearly a month now and no problems with the Flint. Agreed, somewhat small tank, but it's a single Jet and fairly efficient for its tank size. It's become my first go to lighter for everything lately. LOL
I have a Xikar scribe soft flame Flint wheel pen style lighter that is pretty nice except for how you have to activate the fuel valve. You have to grab both ends like a pen and cap and pull them apart until they click. Mine is really tight so it's annoying to do so. Other than that, IT'S a really nice lighter too.
Loving my Xikar Tech single but it's certainly jealous of my Caldron.

thejackalsmark

Just another "Person Of Interest"
I just got my Caldron info to ship. I wasn't even on the list a week. When I contacted Pipes he got back to me within hours. If the product is anything like the customer service, I will be very happy.

Yeah, I freaking love my cauldron! And business with him was the same with me. Quick responses and excellent customer service! Had mine basically a week after I placed the order for it. I have been so spoiled by this thing. Haven't touched the cap of a dynavap with a torch at home since. LMFAO

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Haven't touched the cap of a dynavap with a torch at home since.

This is me at home too, with Pipes PSM and now the Cauldron my Dynavaps haven't been torch driven since June or July of 2018 other than showing someone how to use theirs with a torch.

It's truly taken it's place next to my Vapman / heating station and my log vapes with the Cauldron being my main driver for the last month or so.

:peace:

Last edited:

thejackalsmark

Just another "Person Of Interest"
I just found out that my Caldron will be here next Tuesday. NICE, that is a day I do not work. :rofl:

I forgot, I'm covering for another driver. :doh:

Gotta keep those vapes packed somehow. lol
(Myself, I've got a VaporGenie Coil, Shadow M, NonaVonG XLS, and a Long Glass Charlie Spikey Stem, to keep fed. lmao)

THAT just means, the NEXT day, you get to enjoy an EXTRA session!
#RealShit

Last edited:

Mono Loco

Hi.

Caldron in the car?

I have a couple of Power Inverters for the car ... 12V DC to 120V AC.
I have a small, self-contained one that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket and has one AC receptacle at its other end - rated for 100 Watts. I also have a larger, more powerful one that has a long power cord that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket and has (4) AC outlets in its main body - it is rated for 600 watts, but instructs to hook-up directly to the car's battery instead of using the cigarette lighter socket if the device being powered by it draws over 150 watts ("Note: Never run the inverter with any loads higher than 150W via the cigarette lighter outlet in your vehicle, since the maximum allowed current through cigarette lighter outlet is 15A. Please use the battery clamp cable with connection directly to the 12V battery while you run any loads higher 150W."

I believe I "could" use either of these two power inverters to power the 12v "Home Supply" brick of the Caldron. It seems silly, though, to take the car's 12vDC, kick it up to 110v AC, and then have the Caldron's external "Home Supply" brick drop it down to 12vDC again. Is there not a simple cigarette lighter power adapter cable that can power the Calron directly ... one that looks like the "Car Charger" Pipes offers? Is the cord mentioned at the bottom of post #44 of this thread ("Hefty, 10 amp car power cord adapter") such an animal? I think most such power cords are rated at just 3A, though I've seen one with a 5A fuse in-line ... what does the Caldron draw?

Thanks!

Mono Loco,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I think most newer cars will have a hard time with that 15 amp rating you're giving it. Mainly because of the light-duty hardware receptacle many manufacturers have been putting in.
Agreed that using an inverter is just over-engineering at it's best or worst. The Caldron along with the PSM runs between 5-6 amp. IMHO, this amount of current borderlines the trustworthiness of the receptacle. If you're confident the receptacle looks like it's heavy duty enough, you need to find a heavy duty plug to use along with at least 14 AWG wiring terminated with the 5.5x2.1mm plug. An inline 10 amp fuse is still a good idea.
The last word of caution, and a big one, is ensuring the plug is all the way into the accessory receptacle. This is the main reason I don't recommend it, because if not and making little connection, the contact tip will heat up and melt the plug and likely damage the receptacle. I have done this myself and started not to recommend ever since.
My recommendation is to treat like a stereo install and just have the wire go to the fuse box with an inline fuse and with the DC plug on it and tucked away until you need it. :science:

Last edited:
Top Bottom