VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

odc57

To get yours just reach out to @Pipes via PM. He will be happy to help you out.

I have the PSM and I think I should have gone for a Jarhead. The main reason I got the PSM is the idea of “portibility”, but I’ve mostly used it sitting at my table because it is a little heavy and not really something I can carry in my pocket.

But it’s nice to just pick up and carry from one place to another without worrying about loose/dangling cord. Just hate when I have to stop in the middle of the session to charge up because I’ve exhausted the battery regularly. I think whichever you choose to go with it will certainly enhance your VapCap sessions.

Just Ordered my PSM today and would like to know any Tips or Tricks for a New owner of a PSM ??? Do you use your PSM until it Dies or do you Charge over nite ? Ty; for any Help :leaf:

odc57,

started@52

Just Ordered my PSM today and would like to know any Tips or Tricks for a New owner of a PSM ??? Do you use your PSM until it Dies or do you Charge over nite ? Ty; for any Help :leaf:
I used mine till it died and charged it full a few times and the battery actually got stronger as far as getting more heat cycles per charge. Now I recharge when it gets down to one blue led under load.

Mono Loco

Yes, a JH (home unit) replacement. A 1/2 - 2/3 size PSM encloser would be possible because of the lack of a battery. Would just give the two units the same look. And saves me making two driver configurations. ...
:haw: :science:

Pipes, will the guts of the Caldron be removable, to basically have a BB Components that a Caldron purchaser could swap into a wooden enclosure later on, if desired?
Or, are some parts going to be epoxied in place and such?

Mono Loco,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Hey all, for those confused here, which is must of us...:freak: I have officially retired the Jarhead. They made a good run and I will continue to support them of course. However, there is a new guy coming down the pipe to replace it.
The Caldron is a basic BareBone driver modular encased in an enclosure which is identical to the PortSide Mini's enclosure but is cut to 68mm tall rather than 100mm which is the length of the PSM. This unit will come with the same PSU as the JH. It uses a 5.5X2.1mm standard DC connector which is detachable at the side of the unit.
The BB driver will be basically a drop in with no glue and very easy to replace or remove.
I have to charge $5 more do to the custom cut enclosure but I think it will be worth it.
I have ordered the enclosures and awaiting updates about the process which will likely be a couple of weeks. Give another week for shipping and then assembly time on my end and we are looking at late April early May availability to you guys. ;)
Other news. I had hit a problem obtaining batteries from HobbyKing as they no longer ship quantities over 10 pieces for any single order. I'm still hashing it out with them and have moved on to their wholesale department. Just started making some headway there but in the meantime, I've placed an order from Ali-Wholesale for an equivalent sized battery. I have some now coming in with the proper dimensions with a rating of 850 mAhs. I'm hoping this delay will be minimal but will put the PSM back to a waiting list for a little while. :ugh:
Cheers and keep them IHs humming! :D

Last edited:

odc57

Hey all, for those confused here, which is must of us...:freak: I have officially retired the Jarhead. They made a good run and I will continue to support them of course. However, there is a new guy coming down to pipe to replace it.
The Caldron is a basic BareBone driver modular encased in an enclosure which is identical to the PortSide Mini's enclosure but is cut to 68mm tall rather than 100mm which is the length of the PSM. This unit will come with the same PSU as the JH. It uses a 5.5X2.1mm standard DC connector which is detachable at the side of the unit.
The BB driver will be basically a drop in with no glue and very easy to replace or remove.
I have to charge $5 more do to the custom cut enclosure but I think it will be worth it.
I have the ordered the enclosures and awaiting updates about the process which will likely be a couple of weeks. Give another week for shipping and then assembly time on my end and we are looking at late April early May availability to you guys. ;)
Other news. I had hit a problem obtaining batteries from HobbyKing as they no longer ship quantities over 10 pieces for any single order. I'm still hashing it out with them and have moved on to their wholesale department. Just started making some headway there but in the meantime, I've placed an order from Ali-Wholesale for an equivalent sized battery. I have some now coming in with the proper dimensions with a rating of 850 mAhs. I'm hoping this delay will be minimal but will put the PSM back to a waiting list for a little while. :ugh:

Hello Pipes,
Is there a waiting list for the New Caldron. It’s sounds like a great little IH.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Did a fun portside mini test this AM. I got 12 bowls using a SS tip and shadow cap before the battery died.

I bought my PSM used and was worried the battery had degraded and I would need to change it soon, I don't think that's the case. 12 caps is more than enough in most scenarios to get me back to an outlet, or car.

started@52

Did a fun portside mini test this AM. I got 12 bowls using a SS tip and shadow cap before the battery died.

I bought my PSM used and was worried the battery had degraded and I would need to change it soon, I don't think that's the case. 12 caps is more than enough in most scenarios to get me back to an outlet, or car.
Sounds right, I got almost 14 with a ti tip at 4 heat cycles per cap.

dale_ranchero

Stuff Doer

How long did you keep in after the click or if at all?

dale_ranchero,
Reactions: odc57

started@52

I always take it out right after the click, draw until vapor production begins to fade and then stick it back in the IH for 2-4 seconds. I repeat this until it tastes cached.
Dip and sip. I have never tried it but I will, my luck I’ll combust, lol.

started@52,

MasonJar

Hey all, for those confused here, which is must of us...:freak: I have officially retired the Jarhead. They made a good run and I will continue to support them of course. However, there is a new guy coming down the pipe to replace it.
I have ordered the enclosures and awaiting updates about the process which will likely be a couple of weeks. Give another week for shipping and then assembly time on my end and we are looking at late April early May availability to you guys. ;)

@Pipes I saw this Gens Ace 800mah 3S lipo at RotorQuest... It has 50mah lower capacity and 5C lower discharge than the Tattu 850mah 45C I linked to before which I am using in my DIY IH. It probably is smaller than the Tattu.

The Gens Ace has no measurements on the website but you can call them (ask for Eugene) or go to their storefront near Sheppard and Allen Road to check out the lipo physically.

A quick search and I found this from Gens Ace:

Specifications:

- Capacity: 800mAh
- Voltage: 11.1V / 3S / 3 Cell
- Discharge Rate: 40C
- Max Burst Discharge Rate: 80C
- Weight: 72g
- Size: 52mm x 30mm x 23mm (L x W x H)
- Connector Type: JST-SYP-2P

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
How do i get on ur list
Pipes FAQ said:
You can place an order by sending me a PM via FC. Pending inventory, you will get added to the waiting list of your choice. Once the unit is ready to ship, you will receive notification requesting your PayPal email. Please ensure your PP information is up to date and complete, including phone number for customs form. You will then receive an invoice and your unit will be shipped right away upon confirmation of payment.. North American orders will receive tracking, whereas international orders are shipped via Air without tracking.

:peace:

CanadianBakin

I've found a battery seller on ebay that ships to Canada. Only $13 and higher capacity (1000mAh), so I've ordered some. I'll provide an update when they arrive.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3S-11-1V-10...691702?hash=item260a5e0776:g:HwYAAOSwwSJb8jY~

. Brand: FLOUREON®
. Chemistry: Li-Polymer
. Voltage: 11.1V
. Capacity: 1000mAh
. Discharge: 20C
. Charge Plug: JST-XH
. Discharge Plug: JST Connector
. Battery Dimension: 55.00*30.00*25.00mm
. Battery Weight: 78.9g / 2.78oz

Mangu

Anyone got a link for a more robust charger that will match the specifications of the stock Portside Mini charger? Mine is starting to not work unless I wiggle it around just right. I think the cable is failing at the bendy parts.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Yeah, those chargers are not great quality at the connector terminations. I have dissected to see what gives and found it's just a quick spot weld for the thin wire and can break at the weld easily. If you do find one that has a better connector I'm all ears. The best thing to do is re-terminate the connector yourself. Depending on your skill sets available to you, there are solder on or screw on type connectors available or snip the connector with some wire off a power supply or charger in the junk box to repurpose. It's a standard 5.5x2.1mm connector. :science:

Anzac Evo

Can anyone help with the australian 240 volts issue if there is an issue with PSM.want to work everything out before my order is ready.i only use store and bickle and arizer in electric vaps as they are the only companys i know of that wont over heat and die in 240v.log vapes.seveth floor .davi iq .grasshopper ect all suited for usa power supplies.warrenty void

Anzac Evo,
Reactions: Ramahs
Top Bottom