VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

MasonJar

Nice video! Must have been early in the morning judging from the lack of people. Those Bluff grounds usually have tons of picnics going on. You would get into huge trouble these days as that coastline is classified as a no-fly zone now. I have a Hudsan H109S which I've had up a few times. Fun stuff, too bad they added so many regulations now. :ugh: This is the first test flight behind my backyard last spring. Was nervous as shit.

Nice flight Pipes! You definitely get a rush flying these things! You are right about my flight over the Bluffs... It was early morning when I took that video with very few people around. Even at the time, I timed my flights so there will be no one or very few people around. Even at the time I only flew FPV with a spotter (my son was spotting for me during this flight). Things have changed the last 5 years or so as there are a lot more restrictions now on where you can fly.

I seldom fly my quads/drones and mostly fly RC Helis nowadays. The smaller helis I still fly in nearby parks when no one is around from Fall to Spring but the bigger ones I only fly at MAAC sanctioned flying clubs. As a result of this (not being able to fly the bigger helis in parks nearby due to restrictions) I have been spending more time on the simulator compared to flying real helis. It can be boring but it does not cost a cent when you crash :)

Here is a video of a practice flight on the simulator... The heli I am flying on this sim (RealFlight 7.5) has flight characteristics very closely modeled after a real Chronos 700. I even modded the canopy so it looks almost exactly like my real Chronos (pictured above) including the Scorpion motor decals on the side :)

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Looking for something about 1/2 size to the PSM or 65 X 42 X 50mm height. These are the minimum measurements I'm after. Ideally, since the PSM is extruded aluminum, and the height is 100mm for the PSM, you'd think there would be the same 65x42xlength in different lengths but haven't found as of yet. :sherlock:
I just want to be clear because this comes right after you are talking about a JarHead replacement. You ARE talking about this half a PSM sized case FOR A PORTABLE not for the home unit, right? Don't want to get folks all excited if I am misinterpreting...

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Yes, a JH (home unit) replacement. A 1/2 - 2/3 size PSM encloser would be possible because of the lack of a battery. Would just give the two units the same look. And saves me making two driver configurations.
Those PSM enclosures seem very popular on many sites in my searching but no other length options.
A smaller portable would need a downsized driver assembly. There is some planning happening in that direction but won't be happening for a while yet. :haw: :science:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I want to see if there's some sort of USB charging cord I could use to charge my PSM off of this big ass battery bank

Sorry but only a 3S charger should be used. And I recommend sticking at a 1 amp charge rate. For the most part, you can really only easily get online but the good news is they are not expensive to buy. Always a good idea to get a 3S car charger version as well if you're on the road a lot.

Would something like this work?

Charger:
MJX B2W RC Quadcopter Spare Parts C3 Balance Charger With USB Cable

Cable:
Power Cord, 2.1mm Barrel Plug to JST BEC Female

mixchu69

Would work. The only problem is you would have to remove the battery from the PSM to access the 4 pin connector.
Pipes, I clicked on your link to look up the portside manual, but it looks like you only have the portside mini, jarhead and bare bones documented. I have the regular portside, not the mini, and would like to see the instruction manual (i.e. charging tips, unscrwing the device, etc.) Thanks.

mixchu69,

started@52

Sorry but only a 3S charger should be used. And I recommend sticking at a 1 amp charge rate. For the most part, you can really only easily get online but the good news is they are not expensive to buy. Always a good idea to get a 3S car charger version as well if you're on the road a lot. ;)
So I’m guessing there is a balance board inside the psm?

started@52,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Pipes, I clicked on your link to look up the portside manual, but it looks like you only have the portside mini, jarhead and bare bones documented. I have the regular portside, not the mini, and would like to see the instruction manual (i.e. charging tips, unscrwing the device, etc.) Thanks.
Should treat the same way as the PSM. The only real difference is the battery type.
Dissasembly is pretty self-explanatory once you remove the screws.
So I’m guessing there is a balance board inside the psm?
This BMS does not have balancing abilities but does have protection if any cell gets too far out of voltage range. Many do confuse this as a balancing circuit. If you suspect a cell is not balanced, you should do a couple full charge and discharge cycles. Balancing, although a nice feature, isn't overly needed for just a 3 cell battery used in this type of mid current draw application. The protection offered from the BMS combined with the Smart charger protection is fine for our purpose.

started@52

Should treat the same way as the PSM. The only real difference is the battery type.
Dissasembly is pretty self-explanatory once you remove the screws.
This BMS does not have balancing abilities but does have protection if any cell gets too far out of voltage range. Many do confuse this as a balancing circuit. If you suspect a cell is not balanced, you should do a couple full charge and discharge cycles. Balancing, although a nice feature, isn't overly needed for just a 3 cell battery used in this type of mid current draw application. The protection offered from the BMS combined with the Smart charger protection is fine for our purpose.
Thanks!

Ok so I finally got to my extremely un scientific heat cycle per battery count for the PSM. The count was done with a full load in a Ti tip and Ti screen. I heated the cap from cold for the first heatup then three more for a total of four. All four were taken within about three minutes or less so the tip stayed warm for three of the four heat cycles. The tip and heater were left to cool for at least an hour so again the first heat cycle of every session was from cold. This is what I counted.

13 sessions plus 3 heat cycles, one shy of 14 sessions.
55 heat cycles, 14 of them from cold.

I have had my heater for a couple months and believe the battery has actually gotten better then it was when I first received it. I believe I was only getting around 8-10 sessions at first. I’m impressed with it but don’t plan on doing another count with it, lol. I am doing a count with my 14mm Fluxer Deluxe but it’s going to take a while as I only use it with my SS tip because it is too hot for my likings with a Ti tip(I have a 15mm ordered).

Cross posted

Last edited by a moderator:

TheResistance

Just about to buy one of your heaters, read through some of the forum and all of the info on your first post but I would like to ask a few questions that I'm missing.

If I am understanding correctly the jarhead is not portable but can be used with a car charger?

Also, the PSM can be used as a desktop while plugged in and also is chargeable for on-the-go?

TheResistance,
Reactions: Squiby

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
No, the JH cannot be used with a "charger".
No, the PSM is not recommended to be used as a desktop. Can be used while charging but not a permanent setup. Like a laptop, will work while charging but do not leave on the charger or will have a very short battery life down the road.
FAQ Document

NitroRIP

Hey all, can anyone with a Pipes PSM induction heater tell me how many cones/bowls you get from a full charge? Also, how long does it take to charge back up to full capacity? Much appreciated.

NitroRIP,

CanadianBakin

Is there a cheap source for Canadians to buy the RC batteries for the PSMini? I'd like to have a spare or two on hand.

This is the source linked in the FAQ, but $30 shipping really kills the deal. Plus it's FedEx, which usually means extra brokerage fees. They have free shipping over $50, but I don't need 6 batteries

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...k-e-flight-compatible-eflb0995.html?wrh_pdp=3

That shipping info was for the US store. The Global store is a cheaper option when it has them in stock - shipping is $20 via UPS Express, which includes customs brokerage.

CanadianBakin,
Reactions: Pipes

odc57

What would you recommend the Jar Head or the PSM ? And can someone steer me the way to get one of these Heaters ??? Ty:leaf:

odc57,

Mangu

What would you recommend the Jar Head or the PSM ? And can someone steer me the way to get one of these Heaters ??? Ty:leaf:
To get yours just reach out to @Pipes via PM. He will be happy to help you out.

I have the PSM and I think I should have gone for a Jarhead. The main reason I got the PSM is the idea of “portibility”, but I’ve mostly used it sitting at my table because it is a little heavy and not really something I can carry in my pocket.

But it’s nice to just pick up and carry from one place to another without worrying about loose/dangling cord. Just hate when I have to stop in the middle of the session to charge up because I’ve exhausted the battery regularly. I think whichever you choose to go with it will certainly enhance your VapCap sessions.

Top Bottom