Gear Vandy Vape Mesh

Deleted Member 1643

Govad's a great deck. Airflow is similar to the Tokugawa. The clamps take up a lot of build space, which is intentional, because it's perceived to improve flavor. Vandy's Pulse is the same.
m4OWxj9.jpg

A standard (level 2) inception coil. For vertical builds, both leads at the same end is a feature, not a bug. Vandy's Govad has both bottom and side airflow, which seems ideal for a vertical mount with the coil hanging directly above the tube.

You'd have to cut a notch in the end of the mesh to make room for the screw.

Last edited:
Deleted Member 1643,
Reactions: 2clicker

2clicker

Observer
You'd have to cut a notch in the end of the mesh to make room for the screw.

or put a hole in the mesh. or another way im working on. need to get one of these. if a short strip could be mounted in there, with thise airflow options, i see potential.

@Accept any chance you can take that atty apart and snap some pics? specifically of the clamp bars and the “posts”. maybe even get some measurements...?

Deleted Member 1643

JOPzHvL.jpg

Had to try. The resistance was 0.05 Ohms, which might be acceptable. (The Yihi chip's sweet spot is 0.065.) This build was unstable and burned before field testing. Stainless steel mesh isn't easy to cut, and fraying is likely. (Used an exacto knife. Need a better method.) The Vandy mesh just fits in the clamp, so you need to be accurate in notching it. The bar over the screw is very thin and should be relatively easy to cut. Anticipate concentrate flowing to the clamps and making a mess. Especially when you overload a coil, have you noticed concentrate flowing along the leads to the screws?

Maybe try again later.

2clicker

Observer
JOPzHvL.jpg

Had to try. The resistance was 0.05 Ohms, which might be acceptable. (The Yihi chip's sweet spot is 0.065.) This build was unstable and burned before field testing. Stainless steel mesh isn't easy to cut, and fraying is likely. (Used an exacto knife. Need a better method.) The Vandy mesh just fits in the clamp, so you need to be accurate in notching it. The bar over the screw is very thin and should be relatively easy to cut. Anticipate concentrate flowing to the clamps and making a mess. Especially when you overload a coil, have you noticed concentrate flowing along the leads to the screws?

Maybe try again later.

nice! my plan was to cut off those peices of the bar that cover the screw. that way the mesh wouldnt need to be notched. and then i was just going to run the mesh under the bar until it hits the screw. should be enough bar there to get a good grip no...?

the mesh fraying isnt an issue when working with the new mesh. that shit is just like wire. it takes a bit more to cut it (even with scissors) but it wont fray.

i would expect some errl to flow to the clamps, but i also expect the dab to vape pretty quickly. before any flow starts. slowly after use the mesh builds up residuals and that fills in the open areas. then the oil just vapes off the suface of the now solid strip of mesh and flows all over. thats when its time to change mesh. also by the time this happens you will probably have already detected a reclaim taste and will have swapped mesh anyway.

.05 eh? damn thats low. thats the VV supplied mesh you used there yeah?

and yeah ive had some oil flowing down one of the leads on that coil i last shared pics of. only after about a gram through it though. it only started traveling down that lead after that. so it likely time to change this mesh. the first sample of mesh im still using has a 20% open area available. the new sample, of which could arrive today, has a 45% open area. i expect this to allow for far more usage before the pores clogging up becomes and issue. hopefully 2 or 3 grams...?

my only real concern at this point is being able to clamp the mesh sufficiently after trimming the bar down. yeah ive seen the Vandy Vape breakdown of the atty, but was hoping you could tell me how wide the bars are. and how thick. also if you could get a pic of the bar upsides down so that i can see how much real estate is between the inner edge of the bar to where the screw comes through... that would be great.

actually now that i think about it... i think the small distance between the bars you mention may be the deal breaker. and you’re probably right that the short distance will always mean too little resistance. damnit. too bad the Mesh Pro doesnt have bottom airflow.

well looks like the Mesh Pro will be my next clamp RDA to try. didnt want to go to 25mm but it def looks like an upgrade over the VVM. going to see how the newest sample of mesh works before ordering it, but i expect it soon and good things from it.

Deleted Member 1643

Admire your enthusiasm. Never let success stand in the way of progress. :science:

BSFchBz.jpg

First complete disassembly. Remarkably well-made. Seemingly flawless.

should be enough bar there to get a good grip no...?

Yes, don't expect that to be a problem.

.05 eh? damn thats low. thats the VV supplied mesh you used there yeah?

Yes, this is the Vandy mesh.

hoping you could tell me how wide the bars are. and how thick. also if you could get a pic of the bar upsides down so that i can see how much real estate is between the inner edge of the bar to where the screw comes through... that would be great.

The bars are 3mm wide and less than 1mm thick. There's no additional space. You'd be clamping on the cut edge of where the bar was, but you shouldn't need to make contact there with the rest of the clamp intact.

actually now that i think about it... i think the small distance between the bars you mention may be the deal breaker. and you’re probably right that the short distance will always mean too little resistance. damnit. too bad the Mesh Pro doesnt have bottom airflow.

If your mesh has lower resistance than the Vandy Mesh, then you probably won't be able to use it.

So, now you're into bottom airflow?

elmoe420

Hey all, I picked up a Vandy Vape Mesh to play around with. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get good results.

First question I have, is it intended that the mesh included with the RDA by VV needs to be cut to fit? I don't understand why they wouldn't manufacture it to fit out of the box. I found it was too wide and I had to cut a strip to the right width.

Second and big issue I have is that I cannot get this to TC at all. So far I have only tried the SS mesh (no interest in Ni). However, none of my mods I have tried would TC. I have tried an eVic VTC Mini (running myevic), eVic Primo Mini (running latest stock fw) and Teslacigs 120W. The resistance shoots up (after being locked while cold) and it hits temp protect immediately.

Running in wattage mode works decently but I get a lot of concentrate that just wicks to the clamps and then pools underneath without vaping properly.

Appreciate any insight you all have.

Deleted Member 1643

Welcome aboard, @elmoe420! Sorry you're stuck.

First question I have, is it intended that the mesh included with the RDA by VV needs to be cut to fit? I don't understand why they wouldn't manufacture it to fit out of the box. I found it was too wide and I had to cut a strip to the right width.

Below are quotes from elsewhere in this thread. The first pic is with Vandy's sample mesh strip uncut. This worked okay. You can gently push down in the center to get a flatter shape. Below that is wicked for it's intended use with e-juice. And then @2clicker's build. @2clicker, do the creases in the mesh produce hot spots?

First noted in the one-hitter thread, but sadly, that venerable thread isn't getting the traffic it deserves. In any case, this is different. Easy, almost too easy.

p4zmvRw.jpg

A small dab of green crumble smeared onto mesh in Vandy Vape's Mesh RDA. The resistance wire coil is replaced with a mesh strip. Vandy supplies kanthal A1, nichrome 80, and stainless steel 316L mesh strips, pictured. Clamps are tightened onto the mesh strip with a regular, slotted screwdriver. That's all there is to it! Can also be used with one, two or more coils as a post-less deck.

k7CdjgN.jpg

Wicked for nic (or 0 nic) e-juice. (May as well use a cotton ball. Holds a lot of juice - no need for juice wells.) Flavor with e-juice is intense, yet resolved. (This naturally flavored, 100%VG e-juice tastes like a refreshing honeydew and cantaloupe salad with cannabis dressing.) Handles high wattage with or without temperature control.:tup:

my current build. running it on an Evic Vtwo mini at 400F - .21ohms - 13watts. and loving the flavor.
ttbQEtL.jpg

Second and big issue I have is that I cannot get this to TC at all. So far I have only tried the SS mesh (no interest in Ni). However, none of my mods I have tried would TC. I have tried an eVic VTC Mini (running myevic), eVic Primo Mini (running latest stock fw) and Teslacigs 120W. The resistance shoots up (after being locked while cold) and it hits temp protect immediately.

IME, the only mod that reliably regulates temperature with the supplied mesh in this application is the EHPro Fusion using their in-house chip.

2clicker

Observer
Admire your enthusiasm. Never let success stand in the way of progress. :science:

BSFchBz.jpg

First complete disassembly. Remarkably well-made. Seemingly flawless.

Yes, don't expect that to be a problem.

Yes, this is the Vandy mesh.

The bars are 3mm wide and less than 1mm thick. There's no additional space. You'd be clamping on the cut edge of where the bar was, but you shouldn't need to make contact there with the rest of the clamp intact.

If your mesh has lower resistance than the Vandy Mesh, then you probably won't be able to use it.

So, now you're into bottom airflow?

thanks for the pic my man! exactly what was needed. bottom airflow... you have me wondering now. and yes it should be well made. im hearing nothing but super positive feedback on the Vandy Vape stuff. apparently the brain behind VV is a transplant from Geek Vape of whome only make very well made products. the VV line seems to equal that.

and yeah, the thicker wire equals less resistance so using this RDA for mesh isnt likely to work out. im a bit disappointed, but in an effort to comfort my shattered ideas of the Govad pushing mesh i went ahead and ordered the DigiFlavor Mesh Pro RDA. lol. i like that it can be completely disassembled for cleaning as opposed to the VVM. found a coupon code at NWVape and got it shipped for $25. should have it around Wed. hopefully the new meah will be in to test on it.

Hey all, I picked up a Vandy Vape Mesh to play around with. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get good results.

Running in wattage mode works decently but I get a lot of concentrate that just wicks to the clamps and then pools underneath without vaping properly.

Appreciate any insight you all have.

if you read through this thread you will see that we are all having some issues keeping the stick VV mesh in a specific temp. my opinion is that the wire diameter on the mesh that comes with the RDA is too small. i have been getting samples of mesh in larger wire diameter and am not having this issue anymore. and im quite certain an joyetech device can TC is fine. the stock mesh works amazing for juice, but we arent completely submerging the heater in liquid so the chips think the heater or “coil” is dry. more to come on that. and if anyone is interested, after i order some of this new mesh, ill have some for sale.

@Accept, no the creases have not caused any hot spots yet, but they aren’t exactly flat creases either. they have a curve to them like maybe a 1mm wrap would have. no hot spots at all. and since this mesh is evenly woven by computers i dont expect any at all.

2clicker

Observer
I would love to buy some mesh from you :tup:

right on! as soon as i decide on the mesh count ill place an order for some. most of these companies that make this kind of stuff have minimum order amounts and knowing that others are interested helps justify an order for those minimums.

been thinking about reviving my old vapor emporium thread and starting fresh with mesh heaters and RDAs. been thinking about offering the mesh alone as well as RDAs that come with mesh pre mounted. extra strips will be included and all pre dry fired/heat treated by myself. ready to use out of the box. we will see.

mixchu69

right on! as soon as i decide on the mesh count ill place an order for some. most of these companies that make this kind of stuff have minimum order amounts and knowing that others are interested helps justify an order for those minimums.

been thinking about reviving my old vapor emporium thread and starting fresh with mesh heaters and RDAs. been thinking about offering the mesh alone as well as RDAs that come with mesh pre mounted. extra strips will be included and all pre dry fired/heat treated by myself. ready to use out of the box. we will see.
Would def be interested on "ready to use out of box". Not much of a tinkerer
Always been interested after using my Muad-dib

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
I use to make my own screens for the MFLB Muad Dib. Basically same thing, with the mesh.

Decided to make an rda version.

OSAtbd9.jpg

It works surprisingly good and taste excellent, better then the Muad Dib I would say.

Only thing is when i dry burn it does not glow up where the oil is suppose to be. Looks funny, but works so Can't complain lol

shlcIkM.jpg

2clicker

Observer
You can trim them easily. Running in wattage mode 15-25w. It does not seem to work in tc mode,

lzbWVjy.jpg

thanks for the pic! looks just like the clamps/bars on the VV govad. i know the digiflavor and vandy vape people are the same or once worked together at geek vape. anyway, that looks very easily trimmable.

when you say it isnt working in TC... are you saying your getting burnt dabs? sounds like what was happening to me. it would vape the dab nice and then at the end would burn up any residue left in the mesh. creating smoke and just nastiness. at first i thought it was the TC functionality of my budget box mods. so i got a DNA chip device and still had the issue. then i thought it could be the wire diameter of the mesh i was using. this is discussed in this thread and another, but ive since been receiving samples of 316L mesh made in wire diameter just like the wire being used to build coils. and the problem is gone. in short... if you used this new mesh you could run it in TC all day. even on budget mods.

anyway, thanks again for that pic! it tells me what i needed to know. unfortunately i just ordered a digiflavor mesh pro or id order the pharoah dripper tank now. my wife always rolls her eyes when the mail comes... lol.

Deleted Member 1643

at first i thought it was the TC functionality of my budget box mods. so i got a DNA chip device and still had the issue.

Have you ever tried a full-length mesh strip with TC? Tried a build similar to your pictured one with shortened mesh, and the EHPro couldn't handle it. Replaced it with longer mesh, and it worked fine again. (All Vandy mesh.)

2clicker

Observer
Have you ever tried a full-length mesh strip with TC? Tried a build similar to your pictured one with shortened mesh, and the EHPro couldn't handle it. Replaced it with longer mesh, and it worked fine again. (All Vandy mesh.)

interesting. i have always cut it a bit, but that first pic i posted was the first attempt and it was too low to the deck. lots of vapor was condensing rapidly because of how close it was. i ended mounting and using a longer strip, but it still did the wire glow thing i descrbed before. using a full strip never crossed my mind as it just seems too long.

ive got one full length strip and three cut down strips of VV mesh. the cut versions are soaking in ISO. when my mesh pro arrives this week ill start experimenting with the VV mesh again in the mesh rda while experimenting with the thick mesh in the mesh pro.

2clicker,
Top Bottom