using Volcano bags with an Arizer Extreme Q 4.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojanglez

hi - so, I just did a search and found a bunch of different posts but nothing that answered my question exactly, sorry if this has previously been asked/answered.

I'm a big fan of vapes and I bought a Silver Surfer a few months ago which I absolutely love using, but a pal of mine keeps telling me about his volcano vape and how he prefers it over a whip-vape (which he has owned previously) and it's gotten me way more interested about buying a second (bag-based) vape.

Using the SSV helped me quit smoking tobacco so, going off the basis of "I save myself $x each month by not buying cigarettes" I'm going to treat myself to a second vape and after reading a bunch of reviews I think I've settled on the Arizer Extreme Q 4.0 (although I would VERY much welcome opinions if anyone thinks this is a bad choice) over the HA 2.1 or Volcano, but the one thing that seems to be "better" about the volcano is the bags with the valves and I was wondering:

a) is it possible to use the volcano bags/valve on the EQ (I suspect not as they look to be different sizes, but wanted to verify)?
b) is there a system for the EQ bags that is similar in nature and would prevent leakage, long term? Ideally I would like to fill a bag or two and then smoke them at my leisure and the valve would seem to facilitate that?
c) If A & B are both "no", what solutions have users of the EQ found that they would recommend?

Lastly, does anyone have any negative experiences with the EQ that would give them pause for thought before buying one again, or recommending one?

thanks in advance!

Bojanglez,
Reactions: Slayer

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
a) is it possible to use the volcano bags/valve on the EQ (I suspect not as they look to be different sizes, but wanted to verify)? No
b) is there a system for the EQ bags that is similar in nature and would prevent leakage, long term? Ideally I would like to fill a bag or two and then smoke them at my leisure and the valve would seem to facilitate that? You can use household items such as a bic pen cap or pencil eraser to act as a stopper. I used to use the glass pic that came with my Q. However none of these are really "airtight" solutions that the volcano valve offers.
c) If A & B are both "no", what solutions have users of the EQ found that they would recommend? I think you will find that the vapor will begin to condensate on the inside of the bag so it would not be recommended to let a bag full of vapor sit around for any length of time. Most people ingest bagged vapor within a few minutes of filling the bag anyway, so this isn't really a big deal.

:2c:

Stu,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
Bojanglez said:
hi - so, I just did a search and found a bunch of different posts but nothing that answered my question exactly, sorry if this has previously been asked/answered.

I'm a big fan of vapes and I bought a Silver Surfer a few months ago which I absolutely love using, but a pal of mine keeps telling me about his volcano vape and how he prefers it over a whip-vape (which he has owned previously) and it's gotten me way more interested about buying a second (bag-based) vape.

Using the SSV helped me quit smoking tobacco so, going off the basis of "I save myself $x each month by not buying cigarettes" I'm going to treat myself to a second vape and after reading a bunch of reviews I think I've settled on the Arizer Extreme Q 4.0 (although I would VERY much welcome opinions if anyone thinks this is a bad choice) over the HA 2.1 or Volcano, but the one thing that seems to be "better" about the volcano is the bags with the valves and I was wondering:

a) is it possible to use the volcano bags/valve on the EQ (I suspect not as they look to be different sizes, but wanted to verify)?
b) is there a system for the EQ bags that is similar in nature and would prevent leakage, long term? Ideally I would like to fill a bag or two and then smoke them at my leisure and the valve would seem to facilitate that?
c) If A & B are both "no", what solutions have users of the EQ found that they would recommend?

Lastly, does anyone have any negative experiences with the EQ that would give them pause for thought before buying one again, or recommending one?

thanks in advance!

IIRC there is discussion in the Q thread about using Volcano bags, and also in several other threads. Try searching on "volcano AND Q AND bag" and see what you get.

There is also a youtube video, I think explained in the Q thread (but not sure), that describes how to modify a very inexpensive Rubbermaid water bottle into a valve device. I haven't made this myself, but have done something similar. If you understand the principle, it's a pretty simple mod that should work with anything similar. (Btw, in that video the guy suggests using the glass stir stick as a stopper; I did that and it broke the mouthpiece. The glass may have had a defect; I was gentle. Whatever, I won't use the stick again for that.)

That said, a lot of folks only care about the valve if in a group passing the bag, to prevent vapor loss. At the same time, and especially if you're flying solo, it's a one-time task to find something around the house or at the hardware store to act as a stopper (like a pencil eraser).

Re leisurely bag hitting, personally - since I like water filtration and glass - I use a GonG-to-tubing adapter. After filling the bag I just pull the bag mouthpiece from the mini-whip and attach my adapter to it, then to my bubbler or bong. The GonG joint and water chamber below it, prevents any vapor leaking. (This and just about any other mod is made a lot easier by switching from the stock PVC to silicone.)

Re bags, seems the consensus is pretty much to go with grocery store oven bags. A lot more economical and they do the job. (I haven't tried these myself, I still have stock bags.)

Of course, you will find just about as many different opinions as there are members on this forum. :D For myself, I eliminated the Volcano because I couldn't justify the substantial additional cost over the Q or HA. The HA's external pump is a strong feature, and if I were into the multiple-bags-in-a-group thing, I would seriously consider it. But given that I only bag solo, essentially for the same reason and in the same manner as you intend to (I actually bias to the whip), then the Q's bag plus glass or just a simple stopper, is everything I need (and I really don't care for the HA's radiator clamp/plastic mouthpiece thing with the bag).

Hope that helps some.

oldiebutgoodie,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
Or you could just go with the best and get a real Volcano from the start. :2c:

elmomuzz,

weedemon

enthusiast
if you are set on a bag vape then I gotta agree i like my volcano a lot. but try the others first. the oracle costs about the same and it's a bag filler too i hear? from reading the last page on that thread i hear it's a lovely vape.

there are lots more options to consider also. but +1 for volcano i love mine too.

weedemon,

Bojanglez

elmomuzz said:

pure economics - I didn't want to spend $650 on a vape at this point. For less than $450 I have bought a SSV and an Extreme Q, both of which i love. I know the Volcano is awesome but, having tried both that and the Extreme Q, I can honestly say the only difference is the bag - the high was exactly the same.

Bojanglez,

Bojanglez

So, having received my Extreme Q I looked around the house and found the insert from a mechanical pencil that fit the tube EXACTLY (even requiring a tad more pressure to seal into place) which allows me to inhale from the bag at my own pace over the course of a few minutes without needing to thumb-seal it.

IMG00104-20110424-1451.jpg

Loving the Extreme-Q :)

Bojanglez,

I.N. HALE

Aficionado
Hi there and Happy Easter if you are so inclined. I use the EQ and find that the best little inexpensive seal is good old Glad Press n Seal. Love this vaporizer Love It!!!

I.N. HALE,

There is no reason for the added expense, as the volcano is a less versatile machine with a more limited temperature range. With price removed from the equation, I prefer either the HA or the Q over the volcano, and that would also be true if I hypothetically wanted to mostly blow bags. The only advantage I see the volcano having is that it's durable enough for morons at clubs to use, has a valve system on its bag, and has a purpose-made liquid pad, although that same 5 dollar 'cano pad can be cut down for almost any vaporizer imaginable. So in my mind, there is virtually no reason to buy a volcano even if you have money coming out of your ears.

charliedontsurf,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
So, having received my Extreme Q I looked around the house and found the insert from a mechanical pencil that fit the tube EXACTLY (even requiring a tad more pressure to seal into place) which allows me to inhale from the bag at my own pace over the course of a few minutes without needing to thumb-seal it.

IMG

Loving the Extreme-Q :)

I wouldn't do that that way. I see the sharp end is too far in the baloon so it can make a hole in there very easily. I am talking from my own experience with sharp thing inside bag. And if your vapor leaks from your bag it's not good. You're risking making a permanent leak while trying to stop leaks. Also the faster you empty the bags, the longer it will last before it gets gunked.

Seek,

Bojanglez

I wouldn't do that that way. I see the sharp end is too far in the baloon so it can make a hole in there very easily. I am talking from my own experience with sharp thing inside bag. And if your vapor leaks from your bag it's not good. You're risking making a permanent leak while trying to stop leaks. Also the faster you empty the bags, the longer it will last before it gets gunked.
Not disputing the theory behind what you're saying but that post will be 1 year old in 10 years and in that time, despite using those bags on an almost daily basis, I've yet to have any issues or punctures and am still using the same pencil-insert to seal the bags.

Not sure what you think you'll be doing with the bags where you might be swinging them around or slamming them down and get a puncture (also, the mechanical pencil inserts doesn't have any sharp edges, just rounded plastic) but this method has served me well :)

Bojanglez,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom