Using Vape after working out?? Is it ok?

Maddog

Well I am into the body building, working out. Does THC have an effect on muscle growth?? I am just talking about Vaporizing. Is it ok to vape after an intense workout? I need honest answers

Maddog,

Konrad_Zuse

I don't think so. I work out and am an Athlete, I haven't felt effects. I know that when you do work out you could get runners high, which is the high runners usually get when they go running, but it's used for any physical activity really. Since THC is stored in your fat cells and such when you're burning and building the thc stored starts to activate or w/e and you get high. This is what I have found at least, maybe it's not 100% but makes sense.

Konrad_Zuse,

Herbling

You can enjoy your vapors with no worry, as far as I know there is not much direct connection between cannabinoids(chemicals found in cannabis) and muscle growth. I vape daily, I'm pretty much stoned 100% of the time and I go to the gym, do thai boxing, yoga and can't say I see any bad effect. I've also found that certain strains in the right amount can put me in this "hyper-mode" and I can get out a lot more of my self during trainings, the munchies is also great help with packing in large amounts of food if your really into bodybuilding.

Herbling,

lwien

Doesn't hurt with cardio either. I run 4 miles a day, and vape every night afterwards.

lwien,

chucku

Charles Urbane
When I was in my early 20's I would get ripped before working out (power lifting routine) and had my best, most intense workouts when stoned.

chucku,
Konrad_Zuse said:
albe said:
i get way higher vaping after exercise too ...
That's probably due to the "runners high" I spoke about earlier.
Actually, cannabis has nothing whatsoever to do with runner's high.

A "runner's high" is what they call it when endorphins are produced during exercise.
These endorphins are also produced with pain, excitement, orgasm, etc., in people who have never partaken of the herb.

You might try actually looking up information instead of making it up.:rolleyes:

Howie Feltersnatch,

Konrad_Zuse

Howie Feltersnatch said:
Konrad_Zuse said:
albe said:
i get way higher vaping after exercise too ...

A "runner's high" is what they call it when endorphins are produced during exercise.
These endorphins are also produced with pain, excitement, orgasm, etc., in people who have never partaken of the herb.

You might try actually looking up information instead of making it up.:rolleyes:
http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/alter/20050101/msgs/436411.html

You should read more, instead of accusing people of making stuff up. I actually got runner high information from a person with a master in bio-chemistry.

THC binds to the same receptor as the chemicals produced while doing physical activity. So being high while exercising will produce a bigger high, it's like smoking more.

Wow chocolate contains anandamide compounds, so you could get more high while munching, haha that's awesome.

This article is actually really good.

Konrad_Zuse,

digglover

I'm a powerlifter and unfortunately I've noticed vaping does affect me and my sport.
Weed's great in that I can stuff down lots of calories that otherwise I probably couldn't stand to eat, but it affects my sleep and recovery.

I've noticed that I wake up less rested and muscle recovery seems to be worse when vaping every night. I'm not entirely sure why - I've got two hypothesies.

1) Vaping is interrupting my REM sleep (I believe this has been shown in research) and given that I sleep around 8 hours each night (early morning classes) I'm not getting as rested as I should be. The solution would be vape and sleep 10 hours or don't vape near bedtime.

2) Marijuana use is decreasing my testosterone (I believe this has been shown a bit in research too). I don't see this as being as viable as my first theory - I'm 19. My testosterone is raging - I could stand to decrease it a bit :lol:

Your mileage may vary. This is completely anecdotal and a study of 1.

Konrad_Zuse said:
Howie Feltersnatch said:
Konrad_Zuse said:

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/alter/20050101/msgs/436411.html

You should read more, instead of accusing people of making stuff up. I actually got runner high information from a person with a master in bio-chemistry.

THC binds to the same receptor as the chemicals produced while doing physical activity. So being high while exercising will produce a bigger high, it's like smoking more.

Wow chocolate contains anandamide compounds, so you could get more high while munching, haha that's awesome.

This article is actually really good.
You need to read the post that you are responding to more carefully.
I think it is a pretty silly idea (personally) to get high and then exercise. However, getting high afterward - it would make sense that you get higher since your blood is really flowing and air passages are opened up, etc.

My whole point is that the "Runner's high" that people refer to is produced by endorphins (created by the body) and does not have anything to do with partaking in MJ. There are millions of athletes (pro and amateur) who get a runner's high every time they work out who have NEVER HAD CANNABIS. If you will take a course in logic and learn about inference and faulty syllogisms while you are still in school it will help you in many facets of life.

One 7-year-old study by somebody is nothing to base your decisions (or your statements) on. While I understand and agree that naturally-occurring cannabinoids can be SIMILAR to the ones in MJ and have similar effects - they are not the same and they are not directly related.

Unfortunately, there are many "scientific studies" that report sensational findings which are then proven false. In fact there is a paper out there called "Why most scientific studies are flawed" or something like that. Also understand that most scientific studies are not pure research, intending to discover new ideas. They are usually funded by someone trying to prove a point they want made. Because of this, they tend to be slanted heavily in that direction and data that does not fit their hypothesis is just thrown out or warped to support their idea. Compare that study to the MANY that prove clinically that endorphins are responsible.

Here is just a tiny list of examples of Junk Science:

A link between mouthwash and oral cancer
A link between underarm deodorant and breast cancer
Toxic chemicals in makeup
Perfume makes your unborn baby infertile
Global warming
Radiation from Wi-Fi networks
Chlorinated water and birth defects.

By the way, you do realize the section of the website you quoted is in the "Psycho-Babble Alternative" section, right. You do know what "psycho babble" means?

Also, do not assume the fact that someone has a Master's degree means that they are experts or even knowledgeable about something. I have hired (and fired) people with advanced Computer Science degrees because they were not capable. Getting a degree (or even several) means very little in the real world.

Howie Feltersnatch,

Purple-Days

Right on, to all of that, Howie. :2c:

AND: The endorphin receptors involved in 'runner's high' are opiate receptors (I believe, from reading many articles) .

Purple-Days,
Purple-Days said:
Right on, to all of that, Howie. :2c:

AND: The endorphin receptors involved in 'runner's high' are opiate receptors (I believe, from reading many articles) .
Keerect!

And I know whereof I speak. Suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis for about 10 years now, I experience some pretty significant pain 24X7 and have done a LOT of reading (actual books too, not just online) on pain and pain relief. Many years ago when I was in school, I participated in some of those "studies." I remember actually being instructed on what specific "results" I should experience.

I am really rather surprised that the use of MMJ for RA is more common in the UK than the US.
Too bad the stone-age Deep South (US) is unlikely to approve any of it anytime soon.

Howie Feltersnatch,

lwien

I run 4 miles a day and don't get that runners high but when I used to work out at the gym pretty regularly pumping weights for about an hour, that runners high came on strong on the drive home. Lasted about 10 to 15 minutes and I gotta say, is one of the sweetest highs around. The only way I can describe it is a very relaxing feeling of well-being. For those of you who ever took pharmaceuticals recreationally, it felt like I just took a Valium or two.

Don't work out with weights anymore. Just run, but I really do miss that high.

lwien,

PerseusStoned

In high school I use to run about 8 miles a day; my fastest 5k was 17:23 and my fastest 1-mile was 4:48. I combusted marijuana about once or twice a week, always during season for all 4 years, always immediately (within an hour) after working out. Did the same for wrestling, but I wasn't very good at that, so not sure what to tell you about that. I'm no doctor and I was a lot younger then, but it didn't seem to affect me very much.

I put on 50 pounds of muscle my junior year (to 190) which was where I started smoking more in the off-season, but that also had to do with needing to wrestle in a higher weight bracket. I am positive smoking affected my performances, but I think that had more to do with combustion than anything else.

Edit: I'm pretty sure you won't get any better answers than these until more research tests are doing into THC. This, of course, will not happen until better legislation is discovered. Sounds like you need to figure out if you're willing to (possibly) sacrifice a bit of performance to continue getting high. That doesn't mean you will have to, but its a decision you need to make. Sorry, best of luck.

PerseusStoned,

max

Out to lunch
digglover said:
2) Marijuana use is decreasing my testosterone (I believe this has been shown a bit in research too). I don't see this as being as viable as my first theory - I'm 19. My testosterone is raging - I could stand to decrease it a bit :lol:

If it makes you feel any better, I think this is an inaccurate conclusion. I haven't noticed any significant effect, and I've been consuming since before you were born. I do think that vapor is kinder than smoke. I noticed a difference when I switched from smoke to vapor. And smoking tobacco is definitely bad for the libido.

"A recent study by Dr. Robert Block has refuted earlier research suggesting that pot lowers testosterone or other sex hormones in men or women."
http://www.lycaeum.org/paranoia/marijuana/facts/mj-health-mythology.html#myth13

max,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
My friend combusts some herb before going on long vigorous bike rides. So vaping should be all the better...

MoeOnTheMoon,

PeteyS

Using cannabis is a great post workout recovery routine. I use it all the time and it helps me recovery from long runs, and heavy workouts.
I don't use it right away however. Usually later on in the day of the said workout.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Using cannabis is a great post workout recovery routine. I use it all the time and it helps me recovery from long runs, and heavy workouts.
I don't use it right away however. Usually later on in the day of the said workout.
Agree. I find vaping post workout seems to amplify the natural post workout high. Also, it's the perfect time to stretch I think. Weed is a great muscle relaxant and seems to have painkilling properties as well, at least for me, so I find it helps me maximize my stretching.

Pretty sure weed is a known vasodilator as well so if you're not too stoned, I don't see why it wouldn't help during a workout as well. Similar to taking beetroot supplement.

TigoleBitties,

Durbandream

I love vaping a strong sativa like Durban Poison or Red Congo before working out, it makes the process feel amazing.

Durbandream,

JimmyCricket

I'm a powerlifter and unfortunately I've noticed vaping does affect me and my sport.
Weed's great in that I can stuff down lots of calories that otherwise I probably couldn't stand to eat, but it affects my sleep and recovery.

I've noticed that I wake up less rested and muscle recovery seems to be worse when vaping every night. I'm not entirely sure why - I've got two hypothesies.

1) Vaping is interrupting my REM sleep (I believe this has been shown in research) and given that I sleep around 8 hours each night (early morning classes) I'm not getting as rested as I should be. The solution would be vape and sleep 10 hours or don't vape near bedtime.

My anecdotal experience: I am into bodybuilding. I have noticed similar consequences on sleep and recovery. Worse hydration and a need for longer recovery between workouts. In practice for me, this can lead to needing an extra rest day to get back to full intensity in the gym.

Consider that vaping and its effects use resources from the body. The cells lining the lungs may get irritated and need to turnover. The brain and nervous system stimulate neurons/neurotransmitters which need to recover. It may dehydrate you or lower blood pressure. Thus, if you just spent hours in the gym training hard (breaking down muscle tissue, sweating, doing cardio) you may be adding more to your "recovery load".

It's all about priority. If I vaped on a Friday night, going into a weekend with two rest days, ample sleep, low stress, and lots of food, water, and electrolytes available... sure vaping a small amount isn't going to make a huge difference. But when I vaped regularly, after every workout, multiple times a week, my training intensity and speed of recovery were noticeably worse...leading to slower muscle gains.

Your experience may vary, it affects everyone a lil different. Also be careful about vaping while taking dietary supplements which can also dehydrate you ie creatine & B vitamins

JimmyCricket,
Top Bottom