Using MJ for pain management (on my hurt cat)?

rabican

My cat was attacked by a dog saturday morning. The dog was let out without a leash (no owner in sight) and came onto my property and attacked my cat. The dog bit a hole in her side straight into her intestines. Shes in pretty bad shape, shes been at the vets the last couple of days and had a surgery but the vet said shes in a lot of pain and hes got to be very careful with pain killers because it lowering her blood pressure a lot and is very hard on her system. I was curious when i get her back home if MJ is bad/good for her? i was googling it a little and couldn't find any solid information but most people said not to do it (but didn't have a good reason).

Any thoughts?

THANKS!

rabican,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Hope your cat gets better.

As a disclaimer, I am not a vet so take everything I say with a grain of salt (but I am going to be very conservative in the opinions I offer)

1. Has the cat ever had MJ before? If not, I wouldn't consider trying it while the cat is in distress. A cat in pain and freaking out would not be a good thing.

2. If the cat has had MJ before, how does he/she react to it (gotta be your own judge here). Hyper? Or does the cat tend to calm down and just eat?

GF has a Greyhound/Whippet/Lab cross that stands in front of the Extreme and laps up the vapor as the fan forces it out. But we only let the guy do this once a month (he will still stand in front of the empty/turned off vaporizer and lick it though). You would have to be *very* careful about dosing given the smallish body weight of the cat. I wouldn't do it on a cat, but that's just me.

Is it likely to harm your cat (in my opinion no), but I don't think it is likely to benefit your cat either :(

Keep us posted about recovery please.

Tom

tdavie,

rabican

thanks tdavie, shes never been high before so i guess i wont try it...ill keep you posted, thanks.

rabican,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
My cat hates the weed he gets so pissed when I blow vape in his face

bluntfaced,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
yeah some animals seem to seek out sessions, and if mr bigglesworth thinks he can handle it, I say let him.

but having the cat try it out for the first time when he's hurt is probably more questionable than having him try it out in general.

in general i say see how the cat reacts to a small cloud of vapor in their general direction. some will be very interested and stick their noses into any clouds.

i've also seen cats get pretty into vaped catnip, not sure if that's a great idea for the hurt cat either though.

rabblerouser,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Did you catch the 'owner' or was the dog taken into possession of the state? Fuck... Thats alot of cash you have to fork out to save your kitty :(

I have 3 cats and out of them, only one seems to seek it out. He actually almost begs when I come out for a sesh. It totally tripped me out the other day too because after I dumped some ABV on the desk he started eating it!

I feel for your poor kitty BTW. Thats a tough thing to have to deal with.

AGBeer,

rabican

funny about abv.

yeah its alot! :(
no i dont know whos dog it is atm, a neighbor might so iv been trying to get ahold of her (a dog walker). Then i will call animal control of there asses and see what we can do...but since no witness im fucked out of the 7k.

rabican,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Maybe try some edibles made with ABV, it will have much less THC in it and a lot more CBD which is what you want for pain relief. Try an extremely small amount to start out with if are going to try it. Those pain killers from the Vet are not cheap. Hope kitty recovers quickly.

DeepFried,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Awesome idea!

http://www.the-cats-meow.com/cattreats.shtml

Id say be VERY WISE about dosing. While I highly doubt MJ is toxic to kitties, there are some things to us that arent toxic, which may otherwise be for kittyola

EDIT - Not condoning the action but here is science.

Toxicity
An LD50 has not been established in dogs or cats. Research
in dogs and monkeys showed that oral doses of
delta 9-THC and delta 8-THC ranging from 3,000 to 9,000
mg/kg were not lethal, and all dogs recovered within 24
hours of ingestion.5 At higher doses, clinical signs in
monkeys persisted up to five days.5 No histopathologic
lesions have been noted in dogs or monkeys.5 After ingesting
3,600 mg/kg of delta 9-THC, rats developed mild
to moderate lesions, including splenic hypocellularity,
lung congestion, pneumonitis, thymic congestion and
hemorrhage, and adrenal congestion.
Paper published in 2002 - http://www2.aspca.org/site/DocServer/toxbrief_0602.pdf?docID=101&AddInterest=1101

AGBeer,
Top Bottom