• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Spyre/UpToke E-Cigar

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Wow pretty crazy. 2.5 sec heat up time for vaping that sounds like its most likely conduction based. Herb and concentrates too..... a little concerned about the mention of a CPU for battery life but sounds interesting thats for sure.

Puffers,
Reactions: Roger D

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Is it just me, or are there no unit pictures? The more electronics, the more there is to break.... I know not everyone can take the ThermoVape/Magic Flight mechanical unit approach, but I really like it... whats with the news organizations at the bottom? Endorsements?

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I know I am always super cynical when it comes to new vapes like this, but that webpage just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

It's full of buzzwords, listing feature after feature that sound awesome but would be super hard to implement, while showing no pictures of the unit. Then they parade a bunch of popular venture capital, media and finance company logos with absolutely no context whatsoever.

So while I hope to be proven wrong by a masterful device that can sense and change for my personal vaping habits, while reaching heat time in two seconds after letting me grind up my herb in it's built in grinder. But I have my doubts this is ever going to see the light of day.

NyQuil

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Thanks, I'm browsing on my phone so it was mobile view and I didn't know I could click on the tiles at the bottom.

Hmm. Looks like a footlong VB Pinnacle with a built-in grinder and hardly any vapor... what an interesting time in the vaporizer community. Aside from the heat-up time, I don't really see any benefits it has over any other choice currently on the market. Then again we haven't seen much, so a lot remains to be seen.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Well at least they have a unique prototype. More than can be said for most of these startups.

In fact the more I am seeing of this the better it is making me feel about it. The creator actually has a unique prototype, and from what I can tell all of the companies that he has on the website either have stories about him on their websites or have provided startup capital. My initial response to this was really negative, but now I am quite hopeful.

And you guys will want to get the next months edition of FORTUNE, by the way.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I reached out to the creator, and not only is he aware of FC but he really seems to appreciate the community. He's already got an account and is waiting on manufacturer status so that he can post.

However, he is in the middle of single handedly operating a startup so he is understandably very busy. The product is in rough prototype stage at the moment and he is taking on more staff which is going to eat up most of his time for the next little while. He's planning on waiting until the start of May to start his presence here so that he can devote enough time to the torrent of questions we will no doubt have for him.

So I think we should just let things ride till then, but this is very exiting now that I know this is a real thing!

Shmoo

I'm a bit confused as to why he's getting so much press...there's already a lot of established vaporizer companies out there, yet multiple media organizations mention and/or feature a guy who just has a prototype. It seems pretty obvious that he paid these organizations to mention and/or feature him.
Also, although he has been a redditor for 3 years, I feel as though calling it the "UpToke" is more pandering than it is "an homage to r/trees". If he could gain the attention of r/trees and receive the same circlejerk treatment as the mflb does, then he could be quite successful.
Another thing I'm surprised about is that he claims to have "...been working hard the past 3 years...", yet all he has at this point is a prototype that as Quetzalcoatl mentioned, is huge and produces little vapor. I understand that new technology takes time, but if he was truly working hard for 3 years, wouldn't you expect to see more results?
I know I'm being cynical, but this whole thing sketches me out, mainly because of the media coverage and the obvious pandering to r/trees.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I'd be lying if I said I still don't have small reservations in the back of my head, but honestly as someone who has worked on complex projects in the past 3 years does not seem like to much time to spend independently designing a portable vaporizer from the ground up. I mean, Hippie Dickie has been at his for years and that isn't because he isn't smart - it's because it takes a lot of time to perfect a design and even longer to kink out the software. When you have to wear a lot of hats, things can go pretty slowly.

He is obviously very savvy in regards to marketing. But he seems willing to back up his marketing with brass tacks, even if not quite right away. That's a really good sign, and that I didn't get a bunch of technobabble about innovation or scientific terms splayed together like some other outfits. Instead he told me he was more than willing to have a dialogue with us about his vaporizer but he wanted to wait until he could give us his full attention as to properly answer or questions. A really good sign, if you ask me.

As for the press thing, he's not the only one who is enjoying an increase in exposure. Perhaps he payed for the media, but I think it's more likely that he got the attention of some people over at Reddit who features them on their site (like the HuffPost, who seems to draw a good half of their content from reddit) and things spread from there. You really should check out the next month's edition of FORTUNE, because it is all about how ancillary cannabis industries are exploding as more states become accepting of the herb. It looks like it will be really interesting.

lesvape

Queer in a high haze
Sounds interesting at least the 2.5 seconds of heat time. I wonder how big the chamber/bowl area is.

lesvape,

UpToke

Silicon Valley Meets Humboldt County
Manufacturer
Hey FC,

We're still super busy ramping up for our final push toward launch, but I wanted to say a quick hello, because I told CentiZen I'd post in May. As was mentioned above, we're in prototype phase now, and over the next few months we'll be working on final tweaks, materials, finishes, aesthetics, branding, and the website.

Once we've locked that stuff in, I'll be able to jump into an official thread and we can let the Q&A fly. That's my favorite part, I'm looking forward to it. In the meantime, please be patient. We're a startup, so we're stretched thin and working crazy hours.

Thanks!

Hey FC,

We're still super busy ramping up for our final push toward launch, but I wanted to say a quick hello, because I told CentiZen I'd post in May. As was mentioned above, we're in prototype phase now, and over the next few months we'll be working on final tweaks, materials, finishes, aesthetics, branding, and the website.

Once we've locked that stuff in, I'll be able to jump into an official thread and we can let the Q&A fly. That's my favorite part, I'm looking forward to it. In the meantime, please be patient. We're a startup, so we're stretched thin and working crazy hours.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, mate! Always great to have another manufacturer here.

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
Hey FC,

Thanks!
Welcome, looking forward to an amazing product.

BLAZING OG,

UpToke

Manufacturer
I wonder where progress is on this, almost half a year later?

Good question. We took feedback to heart and worked on redesigning the prototype to make it smaller and sleeker. We also modified the air path and a lot of the internals (air path doesn't cross electronics now).

We're launching our pre-order next month. I figured I'd wait until then to jump back into the thread, but you asked, so here I am.

Good question. We took feedback to heart and worked on redesigning the prototype to make it smaller and sleeker. We also modified the air path and a lot of the internals (air path doesn't cross electronics now).

We're launching our pre-order next month. I figured I'd wait until then to jump back into the thread, but you asked, so here I am.

Great news guys! A purer airpath and more compact design are always deeply welcome here.

UpToke

Manufacturer
Thanks for the support! We're really excited. We'll get into an official Q&A thread in a bit, I already messaged the mods about it.

I know how passionate fellow FC'ers are, so I want to wait for the initial launch stuff to propagate so I can devote full attention to FC questions. Plus the holidays are next week so everyone is pretty busy.

Smoke1ForMe

Thanks for the support! We're really excited. We'll get into an official Q&A thread in a bit, I already messaged the mods about it.

I know how passionate fellow FC'ers are, so I want to wait for the initial launch stuff to propagate so I can devote full attention to FC questions. Plus the holidays are next week so everyone is pretty busy.

Do you have any usage videos yet? Need to see this thing in action before considering a pre-order.

UpToke

Manufacturer
Do you have any usage videos yet?

I totally understand that. We have prototype usage videos, both from the lab and from our CNN Money piece. The CNN piece is pretty old and that unit is larger than the final Spyre, but it worked really well.

We'll be releasing more polished videos in Feb. We need time to dial in cosmetic features for production and semi-professionally film and edit the videos.

Top Bottom