• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Unreadable posts! :mad:

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Does it bother anyone else to read new posts in a thread you find interesting only to find out that they have nothing to do with the topic (or are extremely difficult to read due to free-flow, unedited nonsense). :mad:

What can be done about it? :hmm:

IMO, the report button is helpful (as are the mod notes added to inappropriate comments that break the rules).

Thank you to the mods who add bright, bold 'modnotes' for offenders and readers alike to see. :tup:

Somehow, there are some members that repeatedly break rules about turbo-posting, cross-posting, off-topic-posting, flaming, etc.

Read through some of the posts by THC if you want an example of what I am talking about http://www.fuckcombustion.com/search.php?search_id=1088106333
(note where they are posted as well as what they say).

Sorry to point you out as an example, THC, but you seemed to provide the most examples of these transgressions amongst a splattering of informative and appropriate posts.

Progress,

mnmlh

I like this forum, but the overall tone is pretty serious here, which I find kind of odd. Maybe it is trying to stay above water with regards to the quality of information. I'm not accustomed to MJ related forums, but since being on here, I've checked out some of the other ones out there and it is mostly adolescent type behavior and nonsense, so I can see how the mature space here is valued. Maybe the best solution is to not read the confusing posts?

mnmlh,

Progress

Thanks for the input, Mmmlh. :)

How do you know it is confusing until you read it? :shrug:

It also becomes annoying to find info in a thread (although the search tool helps a bit).

Does anyone else find themselves saying that the threads can be long and have off-topic posts all over when they direct people to FC (as, IMO, it is the best source of vapor/vaporizer info on the web ATM)?

I too love the silly joke threads, stories shared, etc. (in addition to information threads, of course).

I even started a Lounge Thread for people to share interesting dreams they have had (http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=610). Share a dream, anyone?

Progress,

lwien

Yeah, this forum definately has an older and more mature demographic, and is one of the things that I really like about FC.

Progress, something to keep in mind. For the most part, we are all self-medicating here, and being that that's the case, what is also true is that there is a large percentage of people that self-medicate who also have underlying, undiagnosed mental conditions that they are, sometimes unconsciously, trying to address with the use of MJ, everything from ADD to depression, to bi-polar conditions, etc etc etc. That is a fact. What is also a fact is that some of them may be here, and as such, may not communicate in the most desirable and clear constructed posts.

While it could also be a matter of just laziness in regards to wanting to spell or punctuate correctly, I think the above also needs to be kept in mind.

lwien,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Also, people under the influence can sometimes make posts that make sense only to them. I know I've been vaped out of my mind and made posts that made no sense whatsoever when I read them a day later.

DevoTheStrange,

mnmlh

Heavy vaping takes my writing skills down a few notches, that's for sure. I can be blazed from combustion and it is not an issue. Go figure.

mnmlh,

Progress

True, Devo (thanks for contributing).

However, the rules do state that intoxication is not an excuse, and I imagine you edit nonsensical posts that you made while under the influence once you notice what you had done (as I have enjoyed the majority of your posts that I have read).

lwein - Progress, something to keep in mind. For the most part, we are all self-medicating here, and being that that's the case, what is also true is that there is a large percentage of people that self-medicate who also have underlying, undiagnosed mental conditions that they are, sometimes unconsciously, trying to address with the use of MJ, everything from ADD to depression, to bi-polar conditions, etc etc etc. That is a fact. What is also a fact is that some of them may be here, and as such, may not communicate in the most desirable and clear constructed posts.
While it could also be a matter of just laziness in regards to wanting to spell or punctuate correctly, I think the above also needs to be kept in mind.
Good points, lwein (just saw your comment). I make no judgments about the intentions of 'sloppy posters'. I mostly wonder how we can prevent them from turning FC into a completely worthless site, while welcoming them as members of the community with opened arms.

I just felt that this comment belonged in this thread.

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=61537#p61537

Progress,

lwien

DevoTheStrange said:
Also, people under the influence can sometimes make posts that make sense only to them. I know I've been vaped out of my mind and made posts that made no sense whatsoever when I read them a day later.
Yup, that too and is the reason anytime I post up here when vaked, I read through my post about 3 times before I hit submit and sometimes, after the second read through, I'll just say, fuck it, and wait to post in the morning. Or, hit submit, and after another read through, realize I made no sense whatsoever, and then delete everything I just posted and replace it with a couple of dits ( .....) .

A bit of OCD going on with me with the written word, I guess. :uhoh:

lwien,

Raf007

Retailer
yep, and ImHo in a democracy such posts have their place as long as there is a balance.
And the balance is on a positive side at FC, I like to read a bit of flooding in the middle of serious info, it's relaxing.

Maybe it's because I'm used to forums or because I'm only a junkie thrill seeker, but I don't mind skimming/not reading what I don't find intersting. I'd rather do that than forbid people to express themselves the way they want/like.

ps/edit: ImHo rules are made to be bended :cool:

Raf007,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Yeah, any time you see an Edit on my posts it is because I am vaked and realize I made a mistake.

DevoTheStrange,

mnmlh

Another factor is that the majority of readers are vaked too, which probably doesn't help with reading comprehension.

Furthermore, it is possible that with the older demographic on here, there is not the same familiarity with forum antics as those of us who are younger, possibly more tech-savy, and have been participating in in these types of thing for 10+ years. Either that, or we've just come to expect a different quality in online discussion. In less controlled (moderated) forums with a strong community, experience has shown me that the trolls end up getting ostracized just like in the "real world" and just go away on their own.

In most cases, it's name calling that gets people banned. That general rule keeps debates somewhat objective. On other forums there is also usually a warning system and temporary bans to help people learn how to cooperate.

mnmlh,

Raf007

Retailer
totally agree.
Also I think it's a little little bit rude to point at people when it comes to such a matter, even if guess Progress did not mean any bad.

Raf007,

max

Out to lunch
Raf007 said:
yep, and ImHo in a democracy such posts have their place as long as there is a balance.
Ahh, but a forum is not a democracy. It's owned by someone, and the owner can run the forum any way he/she wants. I don't always get what I want here, but it's not my forum, so if my request is denied, I accept it or leave. I do have some years of forum experience and I consider vtac to be a very reasonable and amicable owner.

He just gave one member (previously banned under another name) a 2nd chance, and did so after getting called names in chat and getting a ton of abusive emails.The member then proceeded to screw up once again on the forum and then portray vtac as the bad guy. This little story is sort of off-topic, but I wanted to post it, since vtac took the high road and chose not to post his side of the story.

mnmlh said:
In most cases, it's name calling that gets people banned. That general rule keeps debates somewhat objective. On other forums there is also usually a warning system and temporary bans to help people learn how to cooperate.
You need to check the rules page at intervals. We've had a warning/temp ban system for a while now.

Infraction System

Breaking the rules may result in your post being edited or removed. Members that repeatedly break the rules may be issued an infraction. Individual infractions will expire after 1 year.

1st infraction - warning (sent via email)
2nd infraction - account closed for 3 days
3rd infraction - account closed for 7 days
4th infraction - account closed for 15 days
5th infraction - permanent ban

Raf007 said:
Also I think it's a little little bit rude to point at people when it comes to such a matter
It remains to be seen if we're going to allow threads like this, where someone's posting style is criticized in the open forum. Frequent back to back posts, instead of using the edit button to add to a post, are definitely frowned upon. Posts that are hard to understand due to hastily constructed, run on sentences, with poor spelling, grammar, etc., are a different story, and I don't think we can enforce those types of things.

We do consider this to be an international forum, and even with English as a first language, some people just aren't good at writing. Even if a member is just lazy, and wants to use slang or shorthand that others have trouble with, this has to be situation where they take criticism from others and try to construct more understandable posts, or take the risk of just being ignored. If a member insists on creating posts that others can't understand, or just don't want to deal with, and gets no response to any of his/her posts, chances are that member will just move on to some other forum where that posting style is more accepted.

Members should report posts they feel are out of line, even if the post doesn't appear to break a rule. If you're thin skinned and report every post that hurts your feelings, where no flaming or trolling is involved, we'll let you know your reports are out of line. If we get a lot of reports on a particular topic that's not covered in the rules, we may decide to add another rule to cover it. Everyone should remember that the forum is a work in progress. Changes are made as needed, thus the crowded rules page that started out as just 'Be nice'. But we're never going to make every member happy. Just can't be done.

max,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I've read off topic posts. Probably even made a few myself. English is my first language, and I certainly admire those for whom English is not a first language coming here and posting in English. Grammatical structure is hard, even for me at my age :) And yes, some posts are rambling vape influenced monologues. About 2 days ago, I posted in the Vapor Lounge a lebgthy piece about feed intake/weight gain ratios in broiler chickens (eh, cause thats what I sometimes do at work. I deleted this post before I submitted it.

Sometimes things get by people. And when I don't have my reading glasses on, my posts probably look like I'm learning challenged (hows that for a politically correct phrase?). When a mod moves one of my posts, I ask myself why, try to come up with a reason (to learn from it), and move on.

But yeah, there is some chaff with the wheat. I find FC an invaluable resource and I would have 0 vaporizers without FC instead of the 3 I do own. So FC is doing something right.

I find it rather an easy going place, but with firm rules.

Tom

tdavie,

Progress

My added replies are underlined in the quoted comments below:

Raf007 - "totally agree. Also I think it's a little little bit rude to point at people when it comes to such a matter, even if guess Progress did not mean any bad." Agreed. I tried to request that THC think about whether something he stated as fact in the DeVerdamper thread was actually true (that you can buy two deluxe DeVerdampers and a Heat Gun for the price of a Volcano). After I began to feel that our conversation was beginning to further derail the DeVerdamper thread, I requested that he join chat to resolve our disagreement and amend whichever post actually needed to be amended. (please see http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=60257#p60257 for the full story before judging my actions) I definitely created this thread to see if anyone else had experienced reading posts that they can not make sense of, with grossly untrue statements, or with nothing to do with the topic, etc. (and get some of their insight on how they feel this should be handled) I only used :mad: in the topic as a response to what I thought was THC calling me mr angry (THC - "Va Bah is Italian which means ok and also whatever - the rest was in English mr angry vah bah?")
Tdavie - I've read off topic posts. Probably even made a few myself. English is my first language, and I certainly admire those for whom English is not a first language coming here and posting in English. Me too Grammatical structure is hard, even for me at my age smile Agreed. And yes, some posts are rambling vape influenced monologues. About 2 days ago, I posted in the Vapor Lounge a lebgthy piece about feed intake/weight gain ratios in broiler chickens (eh, cause thats what I sometimes do at work. I deleted this post before I submitted it. IMO, that seems appropriate for the Vapor Lounge where anything goes (except name calling, etc.) AND you deleted it out of a concern that it should not be posted.

Sometimes things get by people. That is why I feel it is unfair to expect some to know unless you tell them (which started this whole thing back in the DeVerdamper thread. :lol: And when I don't have my reading glasses on, my posts probably look like I'm learning challenged (hows that for a politically correct phrase?). When a mod moves one of my posts, I ask myself why Maybe ask the mod why if unsure, try to come up with a reason (to learn from it), and move on :tup:.

But yeah, there is some chaff with the wheat. I find FC an invaluable resource Me too! and I would have 0 vaporizers without FC instead of the 3 I do own. So FC is doing something right. Agreed

I find it rather an easy going place, but with firm rules. Agreed (well put)
(mod) Max - Ahh, but a forum is not a democracy. Agreed. It's owned by someone, and the owner can run the forum any way he/she wants. Agreed (but feel compelled to add that if it does not meet the needs of its members he/she may be the only one one posting <---Obviously not the case here) I don't always get what I want here, but it's not my forum, so if my request is denied, I accept it or leave. I do have some years of forum experience and I consider vtac to be a very reasonable and amicable owner. Agreed (he is still human and prone to error, but agreed nonetheless).

He just gave one member (previously banned under another name) a 2nd chance, and did so after getting called names in chat and getting a ton of abusive emails.The member then proceeded to screw up once again on the forum and then portray vtac as the bad guy. This little story is sort of off-topic, but I wanted to post it, since vtac took the high road and chose not to post his side of the story.

You need to check the rules page at intervals. We've had a warning/temp ban system for a while now.

Infraction System

Breaking the rules may result in your post being edited or removed. Members that repeatedly break the rules may be issued an infraction. Individual infractions will expire after 1 year.

1st infraction - warning (sent via email)
2nd infraction - account closed for 3 days
3rd infraction - account closed for 7 days
4th infraction - account closed for 15 days
5th infraction - permanent ban

IMO, it would be unfair to ban people without posting the rules and giving them a chance. I am glad it is clearly stated (and that we can ask for clarification, or even amendment, if desired). Although, obviously, it all ultimately comes to the owner of the website, (creator) Vtac.

It remains to be seen if we're going to allow threads like this I feel that would be a shame and would promise to continue to make every effort to be respectful and appropriate if allowed to do so, where someone's posting style is criticized in the open forum After attempting to address it privately (and respectfully)? I figured that this post would fall off of the face of the earth after it was resolved (although, maybe i should have posted this in the Ask FC section, as it is a question? :lol: . Frequent back to back posts, instead of using the edit button to add to a post, are definitely frowned upon. Posts that are hard to understand due to hastily constructed, run on sentences, with poor spelling, grammar, etc., are a different story, and I don't think we can enforce those types of things. Not even with a friendly request to proofread, stay on topic, or keep from spreading misinformation (as I believe I have seen and appreciated in red writing at the bottom of some other posts).

We do consider this to be an international forum Which I feel is AWESOME. We even have a French thread! :tup: , and even with English as a first language, some people just aren't good at writing And should not be excluded from participating IMO. However, IMO, their laziness should not be allowed to pollute every thread (make your own thread--even about chickens and feed or sharing dreams :D --and be lazy in to lounge). Same with ask FC where people can search for group consensus on the forum or rely on whoever happens to answer in Ask FC (if it is a new question, the answer will likely end up in the appropriate thread as well IMO). . Even if a member is just lazy, and wants to use slang or shorthand that others have trouble with, this has to be situation where they take criticism from others and try to construct more understandable posts, or take the risk of just being ignored. How does one know if they are being ignored and what if they are just oblivious to it or don't care and just like to see how many things they can post? If a member insists on creating posts that others can't understand, or just don't want to deal with, and gets no response to any of his/her posts, chances are that member will just move on to some other forum where that posting style is more accepted. Maybe (but maybe not IMO/E)

Members should report posts they feel are out of line, even if the post doesn't appear to break a rule. If you're thin skinned and report every post that hurts your feelings, where no flaming or trolling is involved, we'll let you know your reports are out of line. I eventually reported this, bit tried to resolve it in private with THC first on my own in order not to disturb the mods. If we get a lot of reports on a particular topic that's not covered in the rules, we may decide to add another rule to cover it. Everyone should remember that the forum is a work in progress. Sure. Changes are made as needed, thus the crowded rules page that started out as just 'Be nice'. Those were the days, huh? :p JK. I hope FC continues to grow, inform, and entertain. But we're never going to make every member happy. Sure (especially this Progress fucker :lol:). Just can't be done.
Thank you to everyone who has contributed their insight, experiences, and opinions. :)

Progress,
I have joined 2 other forums aside from this one in my life, and I only have like maybe 10 posts altogether in the two of them. As you can see, I have a lot more than that here. I am mostly a quiet person in real life, and I'm not much different online.
This place attracted me with its politeness, and bullshit free environment. The main posters here really are knowledgeable people that act with sincerity. I hope to learn lots, and maybe even lend a little knowledge here and there myself.
I know for a fact that I will make a slip up in readability or relevance every once in a while, and I know I'll be forgiven as long as I'm not acting like an ass and being disrespectful. I enjoy that others try and do the same. Thanks, S.L.

SkeletonLips,

Raf007

Retailer
ok, obviously I came in the middle of something here (that was not my business), and spoke without knowledge of every facts.
Sorry for that. Progress I totally understand you. Then it's just a matter of personality, I would just ignore those posts. But I can understand that one can want a forum without such not-so-good-spirit.

Max, I really appreciate the time you and ALL the others dedicate to the forum and I hope that you got the humor I put in some of my sentences. Also hope that you noticed that I am not here to piss people. I just like, maybe a little to much, to express myself.

Of course it's no democracy (I was waiting for that one), and one takes it or leaves it.
But I like to believe in humanity and its positive power, and humanity is no dictatorship. ;) and people can maybe call each other "mr angry" (it's not that a big deal imHo):lol:
BUT I got what you meant and will take it and keep it in mind

Peace. Will try to shut my keyboard sometimes. :)

Raf007,

Beezleb

Generally I do not speak on moderation/forum issues. Somewhat early on when I came here I said my piece on a few things and that was that.

This site is a resource and as such it needs to be in usable format as possible. For other discussions and whatnot, I believe that is what the vapor lounge is for. Have at it.

I will say finally that in part the reason why we have become a factor in the vaporizing scene is because of the moderation taken. It is the skeletal system that enables us and in part focuses our input into a resource. Why it may seem to one or a few people that some moderation may seem over handed to have a post edited or remarked on by the powers that be when they feel it was no big deal and similar to any other place. Well, FC.com is no other place and this is part as I believe to be that has enabled to become an influence.

I have not done the numbers or anything like that, but just from the people who have PM'd me and I assisted who have went on to select vaporizers that "best" fit them is extensive and it is not me, who has done that, it is us. I and just like everyone else here are a checker piece on a large checker board. Something is working right! Look around by those in the industry that are. To allow frivolous post and the like in serious vapor discussions potentially demeans and lessons the impact of input by those contributing.

Example, not long ago I was listening to the news. A serious news story from a top news corporation. The points being made were very good but when I looked at the tv, they were showing pictures making fun of the target of the news story, a judge I believe it was. Now if you listened to them only it was a very good story on an issue but when you look at the TV and see them making fun of the person in a negative way that has no impact on the story they lost creditability. That news channel went down a whole peg in my view and I do have concern that a lack of moderating can cause this type of issue but I believe the moderating is a good balance.

I do not see any ego's or authority jumping up and down people. I can only say good things about the moding and the moderators and believe the success of this forum is in part due to that. So thanks guys, my next vape is in the moderators honor and difficult work. Also, keep in mind, these guys are not paid and it might as well be a part time job at times. It is something I would not want to do and FC.com has become a regular part of my online life and for quite some time has been the center of the vapor world.

Beezleb,

Progress

The individual I had cited in the original post, was kind enough to chat with me for a bit (and I feel we were able to resolve things for the time being).

It seems to me that he didn't realize that FC is a resource as well as a place for people to chill (as he seemed much more insightful than many of his nearly unreadable posts led me to believe). I advised that he read the rules while banned (and read how other respected members post) if he wished to be more than just a mere reader on FC.

We even did the math on the DeVerdamper, and it turns out that it was just so long ago that he had forgotten exactly how much it cost.

Anyhow, nothing was ever personal. I just hope that rules of interaction make it so people can talk about anything (and feel confident that FC is not some biased corporate entity banning people to hide the truth :tinfoil: ). The fact that banned members can return (and even chat in the chat room while they are banned) is proof of this free flow of information, experiences, ideas, and the like (IMO). ;)

Toke it easy. :)

Progress,

Purple-Days

This is a little askew, but related.

It has been mentioned that some contributors are using English as a second language. I am amazed at the effort, and courage, it must take, to write to a mostly English speaking audience. :tup: How the heck, can they make sense of some posts... in English?

Respect everyone here, by re-reading your post a couple of times.

Put in commas (every so often, even if you don't know where they belong).

Use paragraphs to seperate your thoughts. Start the paragraph with a comment that ties the rest of the paragraph to it. If you can't make a paragraph at least seperate comments with a blank line.

Try to stay on subject, nobody cares about your post count but you. At least stick to the general theme... OK, sometimes sidetracks make sense, but random crap bores the hell outta everyone but you. See paragraph header.

BTW we all know a few shortcuts. But if it's obscure, you may be leaving a vast group dumbfounded. Not that there are many dumb folks around here.

If you have just posted, and you are still the last post, don't post again, edit your last fucking post. Otherwise it's a bump. Bumping is against the rules and is a violation. Duh!

Speaking of which, read the rules once in a while, they have changed and probably will.

Hey, my posts ain't perfecty but some of these things are just courtesy. :cool:

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom