• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Underdog Log Vapes

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Greetings everyone,
I'd like to introduce you all to Underdog Aromatherapy and our associated products, specifically our vaporizers. We have been making vaporizers since late 2009 / early 2010 but haven't had a web presence until this week so please bear with us as we iron out any wrinkles.

>> Update: for anyone on FC who is interested in purchasing a piece please message/email me so I can give you a discount code for free shipping and some other FC upgrades! <<

Underdog vaporizers are probably best classified as "log" vapes but combine fine-art quality woodworking and a proprietary heating core to bring you a unique vapor experience.

We build each of our vaporizers as one-of-a-kind pieces of functional art by hand here in NorCal.

Features at a glance include:
- highest quality woods
- stainless steel heat core
- beautiful, unique and original pieces of art
- renowned "log" vape efficiency
- simple, reliable design
- organic, sustainable, eco-friendly materials (even our exotics!)
- first rate customer service
- nearly boundless customization options

I could happily go on but as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words".. so, how about a picture?
Ambrosia_Maple_b-900x900.jpg

I invite you to check out our newly launched website at: www.underdogvapes.com
or visit us on facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Underdog-Aromatherapy/138617099562048

Cheers!
Dave (Underdog)

**edited for update at top**

Last edited by a moderator:

RumbleShorts

That's some beautiful wood!
Can you provide some additional information on the models themselves? What type of Power Adapter is used? 12v? 13v? What is the average temp at the delivery point? Is the air-path clean of all materials but SS? What type of warranty is offered? Do you ship outside of the US?

I'm sure, most of these questions will be answered as this tread progresses but, it's a place to start. The other "log" makers on the forum have build a tremendous loyalty by providing quality products and more importantly by be available and visible on the board.

Good luck! and hope to see your line take off.

Edit:
I see most of the questions are answered on the FAQ page of your website. Although I'm sure repeating them in this thread wouldn't hurt :)

which ones has the hottest temp? Obviously you have many different different woods and shapes but you should determine which log vapes run at certain temps to cater to people needs. Kinda intersted in that side unit but outta my price range range for a log vape. . . :(

On the plus side the art work is mighty pretty. good luck.

EDIT: Also what size diameter stem do you use?

McNerdius

god of nerds
Firstly, as RumbleShorts stated, BEAUTIFUL wood. Incredible variety and originality ! The first question that pops into my head is in regard to the variation in temperature calibration due to differences in size and style. What kind of experience can be expected here ?

McNerdius,
Reactions: pomogirl

underdog

Manufacturer
RumbleShorts said:
That's some beautiful wood!
Can you provide some additional information on the models themselves? What type of Power Adapter is used? 12v? 13v? What is the average temp at the delivery point? Is the air-path clean of all materials but SS? What type of warranty is offered? Do you ship outside of the US?

I'm sure, most of these questions will be answered as this tread progresses but, it's a place to start. The other "log" makers on the forum have build a tremendous loyalty by providing quality products and more importantly by be available and visible on the board.

Good luck! and hope to see your line take off.

Edit:
I see most of the questions are answered on the FAQ page of your website. Although I'm sure repeating them in this thread wouldn't hurt :)

Hi RumbleShorts,

I'm fading fast tonight but I'll try and answer your questions as best I can:
1) The power adapter is 12v
2) Avg temp is 350-70 though herb, grind and draw technique can greatly effect those numbers
3) The air path is stainless steel, high temp silicone and the ceramic heating element
4) Warranty is 2 yrs on vapes and all accessories including power supplies
5) We ship custom (commissioned) pieces internationally but stock pieces in the USA only

Thanks,
Underdog

biojuggernaut said:
which ones has the hottest temp? Obviously you have many different different woods and shapes but you should determine which log vapes run at certain temps to cater to people needs. Kinda intersted in that side unit but outta my price range range for a log vape. . . :(

On the plus side the art work is mighty pretty. good luck.

EDIT: Also what size diameter stem do you use?

Hi bio,

To try and answer your questions:

1) Due to the design of our heat core out temp is less effected by the wooden body and they all heat to almost exactly the same temp. The amount of time it takes the piece to get to that heat is effected by the mass of the body though so to answer your question (kinda haha) the quickest (hottest) ones are the small pieces like: http://www.underdogvapes.com/index.php/catalog/11527/ which gets up to temp in as little as 15-20 minutes vs the large side mount Tortuga: http://www.underdogvapes.com/index.php/catalog/11484/ which can take close to an hour.

2) Currently I build two different size cores, one uses a 3/8" stem and the other a 1/4" stem, if you look at pieces on the website they all indicate what size they are under "core type"

Thanks,
Underdog

McNerdius said:
Firstly, as RumbleShorts stated, BEAUTIFUL wood. Incredible variety and originality ! The first question that pops into my head is in regard to the variation in temperature calibration due to differences in size and style. What kind of experience can be expected here ?

Hi McNerdius,

I'm just going to copy and past from my other response: Due to the design of our heat core out temp is less effected by the wooden body and they all heat to almost exactly the same temp. The amount of time it takes the piece to get to that heat is effected by the mass of the body though so to answer your question (kinda haha) the quickest (hottest) ones are the small pieces like: http://www.underdogvapes.com/index.php/catalog/11527/ which gets up to temp in as little as 15-20 minutes vs the large side mount Tortuga: http://www.underdogvapes.com/index.php/catalog/11484/ which can take close to an hour.

So, basically they all heat up to the temp range everyone expects log vapes to but just vary in how long they take to get there. On the site you'll see each piece has an rough warm-up time listed. With the variable power supply and some careful usage you can experiment with a range of temps, you can also reduce the warm-up time by increasing the voltage slightly but I wouldn't recommend doing it all the time as it will increase the wear and tear on the core.

Thanks,
Underdog

Modnote: 3 posts merged. Please use the edit button to avoid back-to-back posts. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

manchild

Vapourist
Wow I'm digging how many options you have there.
Also love that aromatherapy cup and hook and the extension cord. Nice ideas!

Edit: and the variable power supply! I'm interested in seeing that silicon stem in action.

weedemon

enthusiast
Hey man! Welcome to FC! It is always great to see another vape manufacturer over here on FC!

I hope you get settled in and are good and comfy! treat us right, and you will probably gain a strong following!

your wood pieces look amazing!

how much does the difference in shape and design change the thermal properties of the product? I would think bigger ones would retain more heat right?

nr-cole

Hot damn, those are some pretty pieces. If you don't mind me asking:

How did you find out about FC? Did customers direct you here?

How did you get started making these, and you don't have to answer this one, but how many units have you sold since you got started (roughly)"

nr-cole,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Obligatory video demand. :p

While I really don't see why I'd need another home vape, these grab my attention far more than a PD or MZ due to the originality and exotic woods and insane quality work. I'm really impressed with these vapes, even if I never end up using one!

darkrom,

guardian

so the bowl itself that connects to the heater is silicone? or glass but from the pictures it looks likelengths of tubing with a screen in them. just asking because im curious. the designs are very amazing how do you get the different woods to hold together? thanks the underdogs look cool nice name as well , may be on my wishlist im always looking to expand my collection. :peace: EDIT: ok so the stem really is a thick piece of high temp. silicone tubing with a steel screen odd yet simple, also custom work? do you mostly do lathing or carving as well, i sort of would like one shaped like chesspiece but mayby something simple like a castle, but a knight piece would just be badass! :cool: i guess i should look into other parts of the website before asking questions...

guardian,

SirElton

Some very nice creations you have. The Knight and 'Purple Pint' tickle my fancy. Its sweet to see another log vape creator pop up. There are some nice things happening in the log vape world. :)

SirElton,

Twanbiz

These things look amazing. I'm guessing it's all rohs compliant? I
couldn't really see the bowl either, but the designs are all really nice.

Twanbiz,

underdog

Manufacturer
manchild said:
Wow I'm digging how many options you have there.
Also love that aromatherapy cup and hook and the extension cord. Nice ideas!

Edit: and the variable power supply! I'm interested in seeing that silicon stem in action.

Thanks manchild!

Ed's TnT said:
Very nice work Underdog, all your pieces are sleek and elegant, all true works of art! I wish you much luck!

Thanks Ed, I've spend quiet some time admiring the beautiful things on your site too.. quite nice!

weedemon said:
Hey man! Welcome to FC! It is always great to see another vape manufacturer over here on FC!

I hope you get settled in and are good and comfy! treat us right, and you will probably gain a strong following!

your wood pieces look amazing!

how much does the difference in shape and design change the thermal properties of the product? I would think bigger ones would retain more heat right?

Heya weedmon,

The shape and design differences between our pieces is most effected by how long they take to get up to temperature and to a lesser extent heat retention. I can take one of my Twig pieces which is barely bigger around than a quarter, had out stems to 5-6 friends and start passing it around and it will keep up without bogging down. I'm sure the 5lb Tortuga retains more heat though on some scientific level.. :cool:

darkrom said:
Whats the FC consensus on the safety of high temp silicone? Looks like a new company to keep an eye on!

Hey darkrom,

I'm not sure about the FC consensus re: hi temp silicone but I'm pretty sure it's safe. I mean I've been using it daily for years and I'm just a regular old 5 legged 3 eye dog.. ;)

nr-cole said:
Hot damn, those are some pretty pieces. If you don't mind me asking:

How did you find out about FC? Did customers direct you here?

How did you get started making these, and you don't have to answer this one, but how many units have you sold since you got started (roughly)"

Hi nr-cole,

I don't recall exactly how I stumbled upon FC but at the beginning of this year when I started contemplating making a website I was looking for a community to lurk in and figure out how the whole online world revolved and FC struck my fancy as a highly suitable place for lurking!

I started making these in an effort to make myself a vape with all the features I wanted when I couldn't find one on the market that suited me. I have a long drawn out version of my story on the website under "about us".

In the early days I didn't keep very good track of what I made or where it went but I would guess I gave away 40-50 vapes. I've never tried selling these in any quantity as it is at art for me and not an assembly line and sales have always been by word of mouth.. but I would estimate I've sold 40-60. Sorry I can't be more precise but tell you what, ask me this time next year and I'll just post website sale logs! ;)

Thanks!
Underdog

darkrom said:
Obligatory video demand. :p

While I really don't see why I'd need another home vape, these grab my attention far more than a PD or MZ due to the originality and exotic woods and insane quality work. I'm really impressed with these vapes, even if I never end up using one!

Haha I'm hoping someone else will make and post the obligatory video.. I don't want my ugly mug floating around on this here inter-web! Oh and I'm going to have to insistently hope you do end up using one of my pieces! :lol:

guardian said:
so the bowl itself that connects to the heater is silicone? or glass but from the pictures it looks likelengths of tubing with a screen in them. just asking because im curious. the designs are very amazing how do you get the different woods to hold together? thanks the underdogs look cool nice name as well , may be on my wishlist im always looking to expand my collection. :peace: EDIT: ok so the stem really is a thick piece of high temp. silicone tubing with a steel screen odd yet simple, also custom work? do you mostly do lathing or carving as well, i sort of would like one shaped like chesspiece but mayby something simple like a castle, but a knight piece would just be badass! :cool: i guess i should look into other parts of the website before asking questions...

Hi guardian,

I think you already answered your own question but just in case, yeah the bowl is simply just a piece of high temp silicone with a stainless steel screen in it. I do do (hah I said do-do) custom work, probably half of the stuff I do is commissioned. Right now I'm just doing work on the lathe (like you see on the site) and the occasional commissioned box vape but I'm hoping to be able to do some carving work next year so keep tuned and you might get that knight piece yet!

Thanks,
Underdog

To answer some more questions that have come in:

1) Yes everything is 100% lead free and RoHS compliant

2) Yes the stems are high temp silicone tubing with a screen embedded and yes it's that simple.
http://www.underdogvapes.com/files/cache/2be5951da44dc0ed1bec5d9a69eea1f4.jpg

3) Yes the core is stainless steel with a stem fitting of either 3/8" of 1/4" and is screened at the top.
5a57b7471f5b5a05d8493a9d2e4fda0b.jpg

0340644dca44db6fc7b0131a112c4c23.jpg

4) The power plug is recessed and a standard 2.1mm size
23e5f677ec45b05ac82371b6f5fdfc28.jpg

5) @ guardian: magic, glue and intense willpower. Mostly magic. :cool:

Modnote: 8 posts merged. Please avoid making back-to-back posts. Thank you.

djonkoman

this is something to follow
do you know if stems of other log vapes are interchangable? (I think ed's stems also would be a great combo)
how does it compare in temp etc with the other log vapes?

it would be cool to have an entire chess set of these :lol:

djonkoman,

blackbur

All the shapes and wood types are pretty exotic.
Like Dark said, can't wait to see some video of usage and a couple user reviews.

Do you guys to plan to come out with some simple units with cheaper wood as an alternative to the more expensive units?

blackbur,

underdog

Manufacturer
blackbur said:
All the shapes and wood types are pretty exotic.
Like Dark said, can't wait to see some video of usage and a couple user reviews.

Do you guys to plan to come out with some simple units with cheaper wood as an alternative to the more expensive units?

Heya blackburl, if someone from FC purchase/review/post videos before long I'll see about finding another way to get videos up. I'm hesitant to do it myself as I have a job that makes it a risky for me to do so. As far as cheaper units, I am in the middle of a core redesign with one of the objectives being to be able to offer a lower priced unit, something like a small Bullet
3975702da2190d1e37a9fa538d436d2b.jpg
I have yet to add it to the website yet or go over it here yet but Underdog also offers a trade-in path for upgrades where you can trade in your Underdog vape for credit towards a new piece. There are many many exciting things to come!

djonkoman said:
this is something to follow
do you know if stems of other log vapes are interchangable? (I think ed's stems also would be a great combo)
how does it compare in temp etc with the other log vapes?

it would be cool to have an entire chess set of these :lol:

Hi djonkoman, the temp from our pieces are for all intents and purposes the same as what you would expect from a PD. Our 3/8" core using the same resistor/voltage combo as the PD while our 1/4" core uses a smaller 3w similar one. PD stems will fit snugly over the top of a 1/4" core and I've had luck using a PD stem stuck into an Underdog silicone tube as an adapter. I'll try and get a pic to post later on.

I think you're on to something with the chess set idea.. that'd be an interesting game if you had to toke before each move, it might be a long game though! :lol:

**edited to fix another photo link**

blackbur

Very understandable, that's very sweet can't wait to see more from you and your company.:)

blackbur,

djonkoman

I think you're on to something with the chess set idea.. that'd be an interesting game if you had to toke before each move, it might be a long game though!
I would think more along the lines of vaping a stem out of every piece you defeat(don't know what's the english term, in dutch we say a piece is 'geslagen' , from slaan=to hit):p

underdog

Manufacturer
djonkoman said:
I think you're on to something with the chess set idea.. that'd be an interesting game if you had to toke before each move, it might be a long game though!
I would think more along the lines of vaping a stem out of every piece you defeat(don't know what's the english term, in dutch we say a piece is 'geslagen' , from slaan=to hit):p

Excellent!

underdog,
you put them together with glue? Does any of this glue seep into the air path after many long hours of expanding and contracting?

I might look into a solid unit, but too many beautiful options to choose from. Any chance you could use bison or lizard on the bottom.

biojuggernaut,
Top Bottom