Underdog Log Vapes

stroh

errl enthusiast
haha i wont be placing my order till later in the week, so it looks like i'll be arriving fashionably late, but better late than never ;)

i plan on ordering the Tupelo Goblet, i love the simplicity of it, yet it also displays characteristics that make it quite unique

b997c983e3ac42d4864ed3894e6dab5f.jpg

stroh,
Reactions: pomogirl

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
darkrom said:
There is no silicone taste. Anyone being super fussy (me usually) would say there is a silicone taste if you count the fact that silicone is in your mouth, but silicone in general has essentially no flavor. There is definitely NO silicone vapor/smoke or anything like that and the silicone isn't off gassing. The faintest taste that only the pickiest would notice is the silicone resting on your lips and that is really a stretch.

As far as I am concerned no taste and definitely no gasses coming from it.

Sorry my stem is dirty, just dropped it trying to take the pic. My camera really hates me, but the screen is in there and its a nice stem honestly. Simple and incredibly effective.

I think you pretty much summed it up there darkrom.

When I was designing my vapes I spent a while trying to decide on what to do for a stem. I didn't like the hard poly feel (and I've got material concerns with it) of the typical log vape stems. I wanted something that was simple, provided good suction, was easy to clean and maintain, didn't break easy and was as affordable as possible for my customers. Silicone meets all those criteria and ended up being just the ticket for what I wanted. I like my customers having the option of picking up an extra stem for only a few bucks.

Now, not to say I don't have long (and short) term goals for some nicer looking stems cause I do.. in fact I have a couple that might be coming to market soon if all goes well... fingers crossed. It's not glass but I think you guys might be pleasantly surprised when I unveil the UberStems. :p

underdog,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Uberstems sounds awesome :).. It will be nice for the stem to be an artwork that matches the artistic looks of the ud vaps.

Abysmal Vapor,

stroh

errl enthusiast
i wish i could turn the hands of time to next week, but this short wait will only make receiving my underdog that much better :D

to Dave, this isn't really a question about your product persay, but i remember you mentioning you had a couple pieces that were 2+ years old that you still use regularly, and it got me curious as to what your personal underdog setup looks like, or if you have more than one go to vape.

i just thought it would be neat to see what creation the underdog himself uses!

stroh,

Abysmal Vapor

stroh said:
i wish i could turn the hands of time to next week, but this short wait will only make receiving my underdog that much better :D

to Dave, this isn't really a question about your product persay, but i remember you mentioning you had a couple pieces that were 2+ years old that you still use regularly, and it got me curious as to what your personal underdog setup looks like, or if you have more than one go to vape.

He mentioned that he uses a very small unit while at work i think :).. Smth like the cebil twig may be..
Will be very nice to see a shot of an old and used dog :)..

Abysmal Vapor,

underdog

Manufacturer
Abysmal Vapor said:
stroh said:

He mentioned that he uses a very small unit while at work i think :).. Smth like the cebil twig may be..
Will be very nice to see a shot of an old and used dog :)..

I have a small selection of pieces that I use depending on if I feel like a 1/4" or 3/8" session and I also rotate through them whenever I get bored of any one piece. I'll snap a couple pictures later but I've got to clean my desk off of top-secret prototypes first, sorry. ;)

Right now I'm headed back to the shop to finish sawing Abysmal's lumber. I was pretty bummed when the lumber I wanted didn't (and still hasn't) show up!

In more lumber related bad news I just got about half of the load I was expecting delivered and started going through it.. about 70%+ is damaged, I'm not sure what the hell happened but it's pretty mangled and going to have to go back. It's been one of those kinds of months.. haha.

underdog,

Abysmal Vapor

I will puff up a fresh magic hash bowl from sacred wild dinosaur age strain..growing near Thracian shaman temple.. I use this stuff to brake curses and as a bad luck remedy :brow: ..
:ninja: Uhh i love top secret prototypes .. :rolleyes:

Abysmal Vapor,

underdog

Manufacturer
Abysmal Vapor said:
I will puff up a fresh magic hash bowl from sacred wild dinosaur age strain..growing near Thracian shaman temple.. I use this stuff to brake curses and as a bad luck remedy :brow: ..

Excellent! You'd better hit that bowl 2-3 times just to be sure the bad luck is broken.

Just came in out of the shop, here's your pup in all it's re-sawn glory. Not much to look at right now but it'll all come together!
2dahft3.jpg

For the curious that's 6 pieces of Purpleheart, 1 piece of White Ash and 3 pieces of Black Walnut.. any or all of which may or may not end up in Abysmal's Underdog. :cool:

Alright, back to the shop...

underdog,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I think it'd be really cool if you take some pics along the way and show off the build from blocks to beauty.

I'm looking at my vape, then back to the wood, then back at the vape in disbelief. I'm hitting it as well. How would you describe the difference between the 1/4 and the 3/8 vapes? I think the 3/8 was a better fit for me if it is just harder hitting. This thing has me take one hit and take a rest to recover and enjoy. Other vapes i'm puffing along all night. I could not be happier with it still. I can't wait to hear other reviews. I'm actually excited for you.

darkrom,

underdog

Manufacturer
darkrom said:
I think it'd be really cool if you take some pics along the way and show off the build from blocks to beauty.

I'm looking at my vape, then back to the wood, then back at the vape in disbelief. I'm hitting it as well. How would you describe the difference between the 1/4 and the 3/8 vapes? I think the 3/8 was a better fit for me if it is just harder hitting. This thing has me take one hit and take a rest to recover and enjoy. Other vapes i'm puffing along all night. I could not be happier with it still. I can't wait to hear other reviews. I'm actually excited for you.

Heya darkrom, I'll take the disbelief as a compliment.. :D

The difference between the two cores is simply that the 1/4" heats up slightly faster and the stems take a smaller load of herb, about 1/2 that of the 3/8" core. They are also smaller in diameter than the larger core which means it can fit in a smaller vape body. Hope that answers your question.

Really glad to hear that the Jester is keeping you medicated and from what it sounds like doing it efficiently! Mission accomplished. :)

underdog,

darkrom

Great Scott!
The jester is fantastic.

I was wondering if the 1/4 gives less of a kick in the pants due to the smaller bowl size? Heating up quickly sounds cool, but this thing just floors me.

darkrom,

underdog

Manufacturer
darkrom said:
The jester is fantastic.

I was wondering if the 1/4 gives less of a kick in the pants due to the smaller bowl size? Heating up quickly sounds cool, but this thing just floors me.

Well I've never really thought about it in terms of hit size and with the way I use them I seem to get about the same 'size' hits from either. If I want to adjust the hit size I load less herb into the stem or take smaller puffs but at least for me once I start to draw it's hard to stop before getting a big ripper.. haha.

Sounds like an awesome problem to have though, getting easily floored by your piece. People never believe how little herb can get the job done with a log vape until they experience it. I like to tell heavy users that their Underdog will effectively pay for itself in saved herb cost in short order.. would your experience back that up so far?

underdog,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Absolutely. I use far less than the underdog that any other vape I've used. I thought the solo was the most efficient so far, but the underdog has it beat. I like to tell my friends 1 hit off the Jester = a 12 min session with the solo using double the herb. It's true every time so far give or take a little time/bud but not much. It's the only vape I can hit once every 20 minutes and be high for as long as I want. I have a pretty high tolerance and this has far exceeded any expectations I've ever had really.

darkrom,

underdog

Manufacturer
darkrom said:
Absolutely. I use far less than the underdog that any other vape I've used. I thought the solo was the most efficient so far, but the underdog has it beat. I like to tell my friends 1 hit off the Jester = a 12 min session with the solo using double the herb. It's true every time so far give or take a little time/bud but not much. It's the only vape I can hit once every 20 minutes and be high for as long as I want. I have a pretty high tolerance and this has far exceeded any expectations I've ever had really.

:p

underdog,

sunsett70

hey underdog, from your comment "The difference between the two cores is simply that the 1/4" heats up slightly faster and the stems take a smaller load of herb, about 1/2 that of the 3/8" core."

so the size of the vape make a difference to the performance? and if i wanted to conserve, i would order a 1/4" instead of a 3/8"? log vape newbie, sorry if my questions are ignorant.

sunsett70,

stroh

errl enthusiast
from what Dave has mentioned, the actual size/type of the wood doesn't make an impact on actual vapor performance, simply heat up times.

stroh,

underdog

Manufacturer
sunsett70 said:
hey underdog, from your comment "The difference between the two cores is simply that the 1/4" heats up slightly faster and the stems take a smaller load of herb, about 1/2 that of the 3/8" core."

so the size of the vape make a difference to the performance? and if i wanted to conserve, i would order a 1/4" instead of a 3/8"? log vape newbie, sorry if my questions are ignorant.

Heya sunsett, no worries you can ask as many questions as you'd like and we'll try our best to answer them.. no such thing as ignorant questions here!

I can't really speak for other log vapes but with Underdog vapes if you want to conserve herb then yes I would suggest the 1/4", you'd be amazed how little it takes to get the job done.

Any other questions at all feel free to ask! :peace:

underdog,

Abysmal Vapor

underdog said:
Abysmal Vapor said:

Excellent! You'd better hit that bowl 2-3 times just to be sure the bad luck is broken.

Just came in out of the shop, here's your pup in all it's re-sawn glory. Not much to look at right now but it'll all come together!
http://i53.tinypic.com/2dahft3.jpg

For the curious that's 6 pieces of Purpleheart, 1 piece of White Ash and 3 pieces of Black Walnut.. any or all of which may or may not end up in Abysmal's Underdog. :cool:

Alright, back to the shop...
I love the purple hearth wood :).. :rolleyes:
LOL looking at the green color on the left side of the laid horizontally piece on top of another piece.. i think it should be the white ash i guess being only 1 piece.. as you mentioned.
And i have a wood question.. Is this real unpainted wood http://www.rodsbot.com/images_maps_cache/3805-map-assoc.jpg >?
This one seems more real.. .. http://image.shutterstock.com/displ...4/stock-photo-green-wood-texture-28533364.jpg
LOL there is even blue one.. Nature got all colors i can imagine i guess..
blu_house.jpg
fungus and mold resistant :D.. BluWood
" ...protected against the devastating consequences to wood of fungal and termite infestation."

Abysmal Vapor,

underdog

Manufacturer
Abysmal Vapor said:
And i have a wood question.. Is this real unpainted wood http://www.rodsbot.com/images_maps_cache/3805-map-assoc.jpg >?
This one seems more real.. .. http://image.shutterstock.com/displ...4/stock-photo-green-wood-texture-28533364.jpg
LOL there is even blue one.. Nature got all colors i can imagine i guess..
http://www.bluwood.com/images/blu_house.jpg fungus and mold resistant :D.. BluWood
" ...protected against the devastating consequences to wood of fungal and termite infestation."

Haha awesome. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that none of those woods are naturally those colors. :lol:

underdog,

Abysmal Vapor

Darkrom this is just where i felt i was .. when i was looking at those colorful woods ... Wasn't sure if it is my brain that was playing with the contrast.. LOL It turned out to be paint :ko:

Abysmal Vapor,

underdog

Manufacturer
darkrom said:

I actually have plans and an expensive pile of wood to make a black/yellow striped piece or two.. I was thinking it would look more like a bee but I guess it would also look kikda like truffula's. :p

In other news, just came in from the shop where I released Abysmal's piece from the clamps and then added the 2nd stage glue up parts and back into the clamps. In a couple hours at 1,200lbs of squishing the glue will be set and I'll move on to stage 3. I'll get more pics at some point.

underdog,
Top Bottom