Underdog Log Vapes

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
@underdog yep that one's mine :tup: I'm sure there will be no approval necessary haha but I'm very excited to see how it turned out!

Haha thanks for the vote of confidence but I'll have her grab a pic anyways. :tup:

Speaking of camping/remote applications does anyone know if this would be suitable to pair with a 2.1mm jack, cable, dimmer, cable & a couple alligator clips?

It says it will deliver 12V for 20 hours running at 6.5ah. Would that translate to a minimum of 120 hours of continuous use if the UD draws under 1a per hour & could be as high as 180 hours use? If so it coudl be a highly viable solution as the battery is not very big to take camping.

MeXGLjL.jpg

That combo looks awesome @iVapeTooMuch

Yep that should make for a nice little kit for some offgrid UD'ing.

ltv

Is there specific information (volts watts, etc) needed when ordering a dimmer for my doggie?

ltv,

indicandescent

Dismembered Member
Received my oversized stainless stem and gosh, it is working so well that I have not yet tried out the J Hook I ordered.

@underdog It is really cool to see these different stem options showing up. Any plans to fabricate any alternate oversized stems in the near future? I'd sure be interested to know what other ideas have crossed your mind.

BlazeInTheNorthernSky

Been meaning to pop in to say how much I've been loving the SS Lite stem and especially the TonG.

SS Lite is a heavy one-hitter for direct draw that takes a bit of technique but always gets the job done. The TonG, however, has brought vaping concentrates to a level I never thought possible when used with my (also new) FC-187. The look and feel of the thing is a great bonus, but performance-wise I couldn't be more pleased and it adds a whole other aspect to the Dog. Highly recommend both of these stems!

ltv

How would one know if combustion
is occurring when using gong or direct glass stem?
I leave the glass around the core for 4-6 seconds and the vaporized material is dark brown. Darker than with a Pax.
Despite this, the UD produces abundant clouds and only two draws with small amounts of material achieves/exceeds needed affects.
How long do most leave a gong around core while taking a draw?

sixstringsmash

@ltv my avb with the underdog is usually much darker than it is with most vapes getting to the dark brown to a sometimes blackish color but I still rarely combust so I wouldn't worry about dark brown avb. The biggest telltale sign of combustion would be seeing a cherry on the stem. Other than that you would definitely notice the harshness and taste of the vapor would be much different. The only times I ever really accidently combust with the UD though is if I'm pulling too hard on the stem while drawing. Duration of the hit shouldn't really force combustion but if your drawing too hard on the hit that can definitely do it I think.

underdog

Manufacturer
How would one know if combustion
is occurring when using gong or direct glass stem?
I leave the glass around the core for 4-6 seconds and the vaporized material is dark brown. Darker than with a Pax.
Despite this, the UD produces abundant clouds and only two draws with small amounts of material achieves/exceeds needed affects.
How long do most leave a gong around core while taking a draw?

If you combust or get right to the edge there will usually be a 'wooshing' sound as it starts to go up and also a crackling burning sound. You'll also likely see an ember glow and smoke coming off the stem tip when you pull it. The smell will also be a telling factor since combustion has a hard-not-to-notice smokey stink.

I don't put stems on the vape any sooner than I'm ready to use them or leave them on there any longer than needed to hit them. Most of these new Dogs are running so hot they're right at the edge of combustion already without letting the heat soak in. :2c:

ltv

I also only put stem on vape when ready to use, then immediately separate them.

I haven't heard any sounds when vaping. Taste is more of a burnt flavor.

Before the dimmer arrives, (which could be the foolproof answer)
Would taking a draw w/o the glass stem making contact with the vape work?

Definitely not pulling hard at all.
Thank you @sixstringsmash and underdog!
As a noob, I clearly need more practice. Lol

underdog

Manufacturer

Taking a draw without the glass making contact might work, alternatively you can just blow (not through a stem) into/onto the core for a few seconds to cool it off a bit then hit it.

Sounds like you're at the edge of combustion but not quite there with the glass stems, a Nylon or NonG would probably push it over the edge. :2c:

FreddieFresh

Yea it sounds like scorching but if there's no cherry or ash present then you likely didn't combust. Faster draw speeds could also help until you get your dimmer. Sorry if I missed this but have you tried it through a waterpipe to see how that does? I personally like having those high temps available for concentrates, but for herb (especially with the ss tips) you may need a dimmer to tame that puppy

underdog

Manufacturer
Probably me learning how to negotiate the process.

I'm sure the majority of people don't have an issue with the amount of heat from the UD?

I look forward to the dimmer.

It's not uncommon since we raised the default temp about as high as it could go. It's been our experience over the years that most users would rather have too much heat and have to adjust down than too little and have to adjust up. For most people it's cheaper and easier to adjust down than the opposite. :2c:

underdog

Manufacturer
My third TonG arrived today and my wooden/SS stem. I love the feel of the wood/SS stem. Beautiful work @underdog

@Itv

This is the dimmer I got. It works well though honestly I rarely use it anymore.

Awesome dude, glad you're enjoying them!

Received my oversized stainless stem and gosh, it is working so well that I have not yet tried out the J Hook I ordered.

@underdog It is really cool to see these different stem options showing up. Any plans to fabricate any alternate oversized stems in the near future? I'd sure be interested to know what other ideas have crossed your mind.

Cool, those things (OS SS Stems) are beasts huh?

No current plans for anything else in particular at this point. I try to not get carried away with stem options that are too similar since I find it both sometimes confuses people and can really slow our production down (of everything including vapes).

Been meaning to pop in to say how much I've been loving the SS Lite stem and especially the TonG.

SS Lite is a heavy one-hitter for direct draw that takes a bit of technique but always gets the job done. The TonG, however, has brought vaping concentrates to a level I never thought possible when used with my (also new) FC-187. The look and feel of the thing is a great bonus, but performance-wise I couldn't be more pleased and it adds a whole other aspect to the Dog. Highly recommend both of these stems!

That's just how I like to use both of those as well! The Lt SS as a one hitter and the the TonG as a concentrate stem. Great minds think alike I guess. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:

indicandescent

Dismembered Member
Cool, those things (OS SS Stems) are beasts huh?

Well coming from using only the nylon/stainless stem for about a month, it is either way more efficient or my technique is better suited to it or something. It seems that the larger screen real estate affords more even heat against justttt enough material to cover the screen versus that same (quite small) amount going into the smaller stem and not really being a single layer, leading to more restricted airflow and a quite brown top of load and less brown underside. If that makes sense. Not exactly sober right now, sorry for the run on sentences. :sherlock:

shredder

My dog was not warm enough for me. Buck/boost cured that and mini loads, even several in a line are great. I run mine at 12.8-12.9v and get 2 great pulls on 1/3 stem. This combo is as easy on herbal supply as anything.

I adjust my buck boost frequently. On the dog I'm currently using, and it runs hot, I run it at 10.6 but crank it up when using the oversized nong. Or when vaping concentrates in a tong.

I havnt tried the oversized as stem yet, but I imagine that could take more heat as well.

I'm mildly concerned with the aluminum part of the oversized nong tho.

My mightys aluminum bowl also concerns me.

underdog

Manufacturer
I adjust my buck boost frequently. On the dog I'm currently using, and it runs hot, I run it at 10.6 but crank it up when using the oversized nong. Or when vaping concentrates in a tong.

I havnt tried the oversized as stem yet, but I imagine that could take more heat as well.

I'm mildly concerned with the aluminum part of the oversized nong tho.

My mightys aluminum bowl also concerns me.

Yeah many of the new Dogs run exceptionally hot like yours as compared to older ones that needed a lot more voltage to generate the same heat. I actually think I'm going to lower the default heat a little bit and try to keep it more constantly there from vape to vape other than when people request a cooler/hotter Pup.

The aluminum bowled OS NonGs are just the left overs from a big custom batch I made, probably not something we'll make again. Aluminum is one of those things that definitely get people polarized, doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground between people who have concerns about it and those that don't. The SS OS NonGs are certainly more popular but the aluminum ones are less expensive. I personally don't have any concerns about it but I know some people do. I do like the heft and hardness of the SS a lot more though. :shrug:

Top Bottom