Underdog Log Vapes

nykwil

Just put in an order for one of the vape specials in the wild maple as a present to self :)

Question, how varied are the woods in the specials? I really would like to get a model without any gaps or small voids. If I get one with voids is there anything safe I can use to possibly fill it in? I'm really interested in watching it age and patina with time through my own personal use.
From what I've read, Underdog's customer service is amazingly personal and great and am certain I'll be getting a beautifully crafted and one of a kind durable vape.
I've been looking forward to the day I can sell my SSV (getting tired of dirty whips) and have been wanting something more efficient like the Underdog since forever.
Looking forward to receiving and can't wait to use my Underdog. :)

shredder

Just put in an order for one of the vape specials in the wild maple as a present to self :)

Question, how varied are the woods in the specials? I really would like to get a model without any gaps or small voids. If I get one with voids is there anything safe I can use to possibly fill it in? I'm really interested in watching it age and patina with time through my own personal use.
From what I've read, Underdog's customer service is amazingly personal and great and am certain I'll be getting a beautifully crafted and one of a kind durable vape.
I've been looking forward to the day I can sell my SSV (getting tired of dirty whips) and have been wanting something more efficient like the Underdog since forever.

The unique thing about wood is that it's unique, lol. No two are exactly alike. Yours will be yours, and yours alone. It might be worth a call to be reassured. Or if it's vitally important, you can always get a custom vape. The wood types are varied as the users.

BTW after a couple days of owning a underdog, my ssv went back in the bag. I love that vape, and my enano, and my mighty, but the dog scratched all my itches.

If you go back 15-20 pages, you will find battery pack info to make an underdog portable, and lots of other commonly asked questions, and tips. Party on nykwil.

NickDlow

Log Hog

Pm @underdogette she'll fix you up right!

shredder

Question for those with lots of underdog experience.

What types of woods and wood thickness can change the underdog experience. In the pics there are many sizes and shapes.

I have a cocobolo dog, with a standard heater core and love it. But im intrigued with the thicker heavier log types. Hence my question.

How do those heavy thick dogs preform against lighter thinner wood types with the same heater cores? And of course the actual wood species differences. How does that affect preformance.

shredder

Generally speaking, thicker = cooler. Lower thermal mass = higher temps at the core.

:peace:

Your saying thicker wood dogs are cooler to the touch, or the vapes run cooler? Or both?

I'm surprised. I thought thicker dense wood could hold more heat due to thermo mass. At least for vaping. For touch I understand.

I have noticed a big difference between my air core mini, and my full size standard core. Better more powerful hits on the big dog.

The mini gets hot, and can blacken the load, but does not extract like the big dog. But this is apples and oranges. And I wondered how much the wood type factored in.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Your saying thicker wood dogs are cooler to the touch, or the vapes run cooler? Or both?
Dogs with more mass will typically run cooler due to the amount of thermal mass that they contain. If you put the exact same heater in 2 dogs with differing thermal mass, the heavier dog will constantly be drawing more heat energy into the body than the lighter dog. This means that once at it's thermal equilibrium, the lighter dog will have more heat energy to transfer to the load, resulting in a higher temp than the heavier pup, even if only marginally.

:peace:

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer

I'm surprised. I thought thicker dense wood could hold more heat due to thermo mass. At least for vaping. For touch I understand.

I have noticed a big difference between my air core mini, and my full size standard core. Better more powerful hits on the big dog.

The mini gets hot, and can blacken the load, but does not extract like the big dog. But this is apples and oranges. And I wondered how much the wood type factored in.

Thicker wood will have more of an insulating effect and feel cooler to the touch, especially in less dense woods.

Denser woods will feel hotter since they conduct heat better and will also tend to lower the vapes internal operating temp a little by acting as a heat sink and radiating that heat outward.

The wood doesn't really add anything in regards to thermal mass in a positive sense (it won't boost performance) but can decrease performance until the wood is fully heat saturated at which point it has less of an effect.

The Mini vs a Standard core difference is more straightforward - the Mini uses a different heating element that runs cooler at any given voltage and has a shorter air path too. That's less power and less time for the air to pick up heat as it's drawn thru the air path so a Mini is basically always going be outperformed by the 'real' Dogs with full length air path and higher power heat element. :2c: :science:

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
The wood doesn't really add anything in regards to thermal mass in a positive sense (it won't boost performance) but can decrease performance until the wood is fully heat saturated at which point it has less of an effect.
Good discussion on the topic. :clap: I had my own questions. Had a hunch that waiting for the outside to get warm was the best indicator as to being ready. If I use it too soon, then I'm stuck in the ramp up/cool down loop waiting game with the heater.

So for wood choices, type or style, is there any considerations for heat insulation? In an indoor setting, I'm guessing wood type is not an issue and then the subject of thermal mass is negligible. The barrel shape suits me fine. Any thoughts?

I'm think of a portable that runs on a battery pack or setup.:hmm: Rugged and power thrifty. Weight is another factor. Rings are nice for grabbing with gloves on , I'm guessing.
But for an outdoor UD, I would consider what core and wood holds the heat best when fully charged with the least weight and size needed to do the job. (And maybe a dog sweater/cozy? IDK.) Perhaps a taller wall with some other considerations.:science:

Last edited:

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Nothing wrong with a husky dog but I like mine fit and trim.

FaAR9ro.jpg

:peace::love::leaf:

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
Fifth day in the hospital, I think. Haven't been high, of course. I'm amazed that it hasn't been difficult for me not being able to get high at all (because I usually experience a lot of MS spasticity when I don't get high for a long time). That's awesome, especially because I hadn't been able to go a full day without weed for over a year, if not well over a year, and because this will surely end up like a tolerance break, which I'm not sure I've ever experienced.

Can't wait to get home and see Missy Pod Dog again. I have the feeling she's gonna do me real good next time I see her.

Unfortunately the original Missy has blocked me on Facebook and refuses to communicate with me (from another continent). I'm inclined to think this is temporary, but it sucks nonetheless. At least I have even more unending pain than usual to distract me.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
I was just visited by the cops in the hospital. That paramedic motherfucker got a search warrant, and they took all my weed shit. Unbelievably pissed off right now.

Dude, that is just fucking AWFUL.

It's not going to help much, but FWIW at least you can say "I'm good people, and good people care about me".
Can that EMT say the same thing without getting a middle finger salute?
I doubt it.

Concentrate on getting better.
You have my very best wishes man, mend up.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
I was just visited by the cops in the hospital. That paramedic motherfucker got a search warrant, and they took all my weed shit. Unbelievably pissed off right now.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say that we're sorry you have to add that to the list of bullshit you've got to deal with man! Keep us posted (here or privately) once you find out more details and/or get out of there. Stray strong Dog Brother. :peace:

indicandescent

Dismembered Member

I'm so mad right now, that is such bullshit! You should try to stay focused on your recovery but man, so infuriating! Dumbass medic thinks he saw a meth lab and now you, a person utilizing for extremely legit medical reasons get to have your property confiscated? Aaaaauuuuugggggghhhh!

Sorry man, hope things turn around for you soon!

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
Thanks everyone who has already responded, as well as everyone who may still respond.

I suppose I'm not too worried about the lost weed, but I have/had like 15 grinders and four vapes. Not to mention the very illegal invasion of my privacy. There was absolutely no justification for a search warrant. It was entirely based on hearsay, which has no value in any American court of law. Especially considering the other shit I think most of you already know I've been dealing with, I was very seriously victimized here. Just because.

Aside from the fact that the search was very fucking illegal, I'd have to think there's no way they can connect my Underdog with anything illegal. I better get Missy Pod Dog back.

Also, knowing it will be legal here probably within a few years, I wonder if I'll get all of the "evidence" back in a few years. Regardless, fuck Ohio. (If anyone wonders, I've lived in Ohio essentially my whole life.)

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
That sux bigtime @Aimless Ryan :mad:. You should send a letter to the Narcomedics boss expressing your displeasure as a medical user in his staff's absence of compassion for a clearly sick man. You could be the catalyst for cannabis law reform in Ohio :shrug:. Not encouraging you to go public with the way you have been mistreated but I understand your indignation when you are just a sick man who fell & broke his leg.

Hopefully you can get your hands on some bud & a vape when you get home & eventually get your property back from the law.

Top Bottom