• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Underdog Log Vapes

YungLeaner

If you give us some more info on your Dog (how old it is, Air Core vs Standard, etc) we can help you troubleshoot. Have you tried running it on a standard wall-wart since then?
It's a standard Cherry Underdog. It wasn't originally mine but it can't be more than a few years old, and I doubt even that. I don't have a standard wall-wart but I do have a standard car power adapter for the UD. I will try that when I next get in the car.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
It's a standard Cherry Underdog. It wasn't originally mine but it can't be more than a few years old, and I doubt even that. I don't have a standard wall-wart but I do have a standard car power adapter for the UD. I will try that when I next get in the car.

Ok let us know the result of that. Also if you can take a pic of the Dog from the side with the power plug visible, this will help me narrow down it's age. If it truly is dead then we'll have you send it in so we can take a look and make repairs as needed. :peace:

YungLeaner

G7JrCYM.jpg

Here it is! Let Me know what I should do. Thank you so much :) you are very kind and helpful

underdog

Manufacturer
G7JrCYM.jpg

Here it is! Let Me know what I should do. Thank you so much :) you are very kind and helpful

Cool, thanks for the pic, that at least confirms it's a relatively current generation piece.

Try it with the car adapter for a minute and see if it starts to heat at all then report back and we'll go from there. If it doesn't then we'll have you send it in.

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
IT'S ALIVE!!! Where can I buy a standard wall wart? And I suppose never go over 14 again on a VVPS? Currently very hot and ready to vape in my car. I think this one runs a little hotter in the car, which is awesome.
I know Underdog sells them....
Maybe a Radio Shack if you have one local. Otherwise I'm sure you can find them all over the web.

ZC

I think all you need is a wall wart capable of 2a if that, but 5a woudn't hurt anything.

EDIT:

So my oversized SS stem arrived!

I love it. I'm suprised at how thick it is, that is, not just the stem itself but the wall thickness of the tube is significant. I love it, it hits nice and smooth. It's also a longer style stem (6-7") which is what I prefer.

The only con is that you can't tell at a glance which side the screen is in, so if you're not very deliberate about how you put it down you might have to check which side is which each time you pick it up.

Last edited:

underdog

Manufacturer
IT'S ALIVE!!! Where can I buy a standard wall wart? And I suppose never go over 14 again on a VVPS? Currently very hot and ready to vape in my car. I think this one runs a little hotter in the car, which is awesome.

Any 12v wall-wart that's 1A or higher output and a 2.1mm connector will work fine. Most 'regular' wall-warts are 2.1mm (it's the 'standard' size) and 12v/1A+ are very common so these aren't hard to find.

You can buy them from us via the website (www.underdogvapes.com), you can buy them from places like Amazon or eBay, you can find used ones really cheap at thrift stores as well.

I think all you need is a wall wart capable of 2a if that, but 5a woudn't hurt anything.

EDIT:

So my oversized SS stem arrived!

I love it. I'm suprised at how thick it is, that is, not just the stem itself but the wall thickness of the tube is significant. I love it, it hits nice and smooth. It's also a longer style stem (6-7") which is what I prefer.

The only con is that you can't tell at a glance which side the screen is in, so if you're not very deliberate about how you put it down you might have to check which side is which each time you pick it up.

Hah! Yeah the oversized stems are pretty heavy duty.. :borg: :cool:

GTAVaper

I've been away for a longtime.......but still loving my Underdog.

My computer had a system/HDD meltdown late last year and I spent about a month opening it up (Asus G53) and upgrading components (extra RAM, SSD & Additional HDD backup drive) and then learning what I could about data recovery.....and was able to recover most files on my own but then spent forever (most of November and December) rebuilding the system 3x due to BSOD issues before realizing that my unbalanced RAM (which the board with its dual memory channels, 2 slots per channel, was supposed to be OK with) was causing the problem. So I had to bite the bullet and remove the laptop screen to access the last RAM slot so that I could go 4x4 for 16Gb rather than the 4x2 and 2x2 (12GB) configuration that was causing me my BSOD issues)

I've been back online for a while now but just been lurking on FC during that time. But I just wanted to stop by and say how much I love my Ailanthus Underdog (Product Code: 18312). It has darkened very slightly with usage and repeated applications of the wax conditioner. It is absolutely beautiful and I love the unique shape that it has as well! It also fits extremely comfortably in your hands in either an upwards or downwards orientation. If anyone is getting a custom dog done........ then I would highly recommend this shape for their Underdog

I actually run it off a laboratory DC power supply - a Gophert CPS-6005. This is extreme overkill for an Underdog as it is capable of delivering up to 60v at 5A - and can be specifically set with precision to any volt/amperage combination less than that.

I had originally purchased the power supply to potentially run a Sublimator off of as it is a much better power supply than stock at a far better price and provides much greater precision and no timer issue. But I am not sure that I will ever end up getting one (a Sub) in the end as I have a dog and am concerned about potential accidents.

But I can give you some advice on voltages. For my SS tips I run it at 12.5v and for my Gong's I run it at 13v. I used to run it at 13.4 for the gong's .....and it does milk quite nicely. But I have also combusted at that voltage as well - either with too dry an herb or too slow a draw rate.

I find that I can also combust with the SS tips at 13v with the same draw/dry herb issues.

So in the end this works out very well since my portable battery powered power supply that runs off 5-18650's also has a range of up to 13v - which allows me to run both SS tips and glass from it and get the desired results.

I find that with the glass nongs that there is too much air being pulled from around the heater core with a nice fast draw that it really requires 13v for me to get the results I want......it really wasn't living up to its potential with the standard wall wart and the gong's although the SS tips are driven well by the wall warts. I measured my wall wart and got 12.3v as the output - so this would coincide with my observations running it on the Gophert.

Perhaps a core o-ring would reduce the amount of air coming in from around the heater core and get better results at lower voltages for the gong's/direct draw stems?

The oversized SS tips do sound intriguing - but I was too late and they sold out. The only issue that I have with the regular sized SS tips is that there is a high degree of draw resistance - especially going through a few glass water pieces like the way I run mine.

But the oversized SS tips would provide less draw resistance - which is my only issue with the regular SS tips - and also provide some additional conduction heating along with the convection heat and thereby get better results with fast draws through glass at lower voltages. At least that is what I would be guessing.

To anyone considering a purchase, if you have a VVPS capable of going to at least 13v I would advise stocking up on the long 14mm Gong's. They can double as a direct draw stem and they don't get too hot to touch on the bottom like the short gong does. I will probably place an order for at least three more 14mm gong's in my next order as well as some core o-rings and possibly some of the oversized SS-tips - if I am quick enough to notice them before they sell out.

I also saw some recent conversation on cleaning the ABV out of the basket screens/stems after each use and what I found to work very well is a crotchet hook. The blunted small diameter hooked end doesn't damage the screen yet will also grab onto the ABV very well with a swirling motion.

If you are on the fence and looking for a discreet plug in home vape that can deliver great clouds through water and also do off-grid duty with a battery pack (not a true pocket portable - although I suppose it could be done) then you can't go wrong with an Underdog.

Last edited:

YungLeaner

I have another electronics question. My UD is great and really getting back into the hang of vaping with one set temp. I love it. However, I like it more with my car adapter because it has slightly more power and milks my glass easier, and provides darker avb. I know that I can buy an adapter that will connect my DC car cord into the wall. Does anyone know if this will still provide the extra heat I'm craving? I don't want it any higher than that, so I don't really need a VVPS. The car temp is ideal--I push it pretty far without combusting.

underdog

Manufacturer
I have another electronics question. My UD is great and really getting back into the hang of vaping with one set temp. I love it. However, I like it more with my car adapter because it has slightly more power and milks my glass easier, and provides darker avb. I know that I can buy an adapter that will connect my DC car cord into the wall. Does anyone know if this will still provide the extra heat I'm craving? I don't want it any higher than that, so I don't really need a VVPS. The car temp is ideal--I push it pretty far without combusting.

It most likely outputs more voltage in your car than it would via a wall adapter because the car charging system outputs voltage more in the 13v+ range. If you want to go hotter than the standard wall-wart you'll probably need to go the VVPS route. You can do that real inexpensive though if you don't mind a little DIY. :2c:

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I found a 12v 1.5a power pack lying around the house. Would this be suitable to power a Pup? I can get whatever adapter I need but would it be worth spending a few more $ to step up from 2a - 3a or 5a power pack if I buy a new one? A 3a or 5a pack is bulkier though so if it won't offer anything over a 2a I won't bother.

YungLeaner

I found a 12v 1.5a power pack lying around the house. Would this be suitable to power a Pup? I can get whatever adapter I need but would it be worth spending a few more $ to step up from 2a - 3a or 5a power pack if I buy a new one? A 3a or 5a pack is bulkier though so if it won't offer anything over a 2a I won't bother.
I don't think anything over 1.5 is used. But then again, I killed a VVPS literally 24 hours ago running it at 17 volts. So I may not be the authority here. Just hanging out, puffin on my UD, chilling with my real dog.

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep

You could use that one, no problem. Just make sure you don't need it for anything else, in case it dies. Log vapes tend to be rough on power supplies - especially with all the movement of the cord that goes on. That's why we recommend getting a power supply that has a little bit of a buffer. The more amps you have (2 is sufficient), the more margin you have, where you're not running the power supply at its max output. The vape will only take as many amps as it needs (less than 1A), and you don't want that power supply redlining at maximum load all the time. Hope that makes sense!

YungLeaner

Too early to say that my other vapes are retired...but I'm having a hard time using my other vapes when .3 gives me multiple bowls that wreck my face with milk shots.

Also, as a heavy tolerance user who occasionally worries about his intake, the small loads (besides the efficiency) are actually really helpful as a limiting factor for my vaping habits.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Too early to say that my other vapes are retired...but I'm having a hard time using my other vapes when .3 gives me multiple bowls that wreck my face with milk shots.

Also, as a heavy tolerance user who occasionally worries about his intake, the small loads (besides the efficiency) are actually really helpful as a limiting factor for my vaping habits.

Posts like this give me hope I can lower my consumption whilst maintaining the satisfaction of facemelting hits.

underdog

Manufacturer
Heya Dogs, hope you're all having a great weekend!

Just wanted to drop by and let you all know we're still waiting on the stainless heating elements to come in so we can put up a big refresh and also build out enough Holiday Vapes to satisfy everyone who didn't get one before we ran out. Hopefully they'll be arriving soon and then we'll put the pieces up ASAP after receiving them.

We'll also have a bunch (<100) of both the regular size and over-sized stainless stems available again when we put the refresh up. I don't know that I'll run either of these again so if you wanted one be sure to get one this time.

We should have a bunch of J-hooks again soon too, I don't know if we'll keep stocking them long term but we'll probably have a decent stock for a little while at least.

Lastly I have a handful of inexpensive (<$30) in-house VVPS we'll have available for people to pick up on the site. With the Dogs running so much hotter these days 90% of users won't need/want a VVPS but I wanted to try having a limited amount on hand for those 10% that do. :peace:

GTAVaper

I have been lurking on fc for a bit. I think it's time I get a plug-in type vape to call my own and have made up my mind that I want it to be an underdog. I am pretty excited at the prospect.

I would stock up on the long 14mm gong's if I were you as they are the most versatile and perform the best if you have the power (VVPS). The nongs are nice for small hits but have a bit of draw restriction - especially through water.....and you also get some heater core o-rings as well as the vvps that should be in the store soon.

I can't speak to how the j-hook performs as I haven't tried it.....but I do have a 14mm j-hook already so I might give it a shot......it's just that I pretty well exclusively use the UD through water.

Just a little advice because had I known what I would like to have at this point .....I would have got it the first time around and saved some shipping

Top Bottom