Underdog Log Vapes

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
BAM! Decision made, Underdog ordered. Will they Semi-Gloss a special? I got the Air core special in Walnut. Also picked up a GB-187 bubbler to go with it. Maybe this can replace a few of those joints! I have been relying on my concentrates Via enail lately about 3/4 of the time so I have been missing the taste of flower!

So... Which VVPS? Is a scientific power supply worth it over the $15 2a 15V Tattoo units? I know a simple dimmer may work but I want it concentrate capable and able to heat up quickly if needed.

(Something like this Or the suggested $35 Tekpower )

http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-TP1503C-Display-alligator-Connector/dp/B00MMN59KY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41xdUNbPICL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR80,160_&refRID=01PN89M8C9M1T64PXC1C

http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-TP18...7706238&sr=8-4&keywords=tekpower+power+supply

Last edited:

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
BAM! Decision made, Underdog ordered. Will they Semi-Gloss a special? I got the Air core special in Walnut. Also picked up a GB-187 bubbler to go with it. Maybe this can replace a few of those joints! I have been relying on my concentrates Via enail lately about 3/4 of the time so I have been missing the taste of flower!

So... Which VVPS? Is a scientific power supply worth it over the $15 2a 15V Tattoo units? I know a simple dimmer may work but I want it concentrate capable and able to heat up quickly if needed.

(Something like this Or the suggested $35 Tekpower )

http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-TP1503C-Display-alligator-Connector/dp/B00MMN59KY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41xdUNbPICL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR80,160_&refRID=01PN89M8C9M1T64PXC1C

Thanks for the order! It should ship tomorrow.. :cool:

RE: semi-gloss - unfortunately that's not an option as it's something we have to do when turning the wooden body, long before it gets assembled and put on the website. :|

RE: VVPS - I would recommend getting a cheap inline dimmer instead. A VVPS is more useful if you want to go up in temp but is unnecessarily expensive when you just want to go lower. All the newer Dogs run hot enough that it's almost unheard of for a user to want to go hotter now. Heat up time wise you might shave a minute off by pushing it but again they're running so hot now on the standard wall-wart that they're effectively already boosted to near max anyways. That all said if you do go the VVPS route the Tekpower will tend to outlive the tattoo power supplies by a very long time. :2c:

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Thanks for the order! It should ship tomorrow.. :cool:

RE: semi-gloss - unfortunately that's not an option as it's something we have to do when turning the wooden body, long before it gets assembled and put on the website. :|

RE: VVPS - I would recommend getting a cheap inline dimmer instead. A VVPS is more useful if you want to go up in temp but is unnecessarily expensive when you just want to go lower. All the newer Dogs run hot enough that it's almost unheard of for a user to want to go hotter now. Heat up time wise you might shave a minute off by pushing it but again they're running so hot now on the standard wall-wart that they're effectively already boosted to near max anyways. That all said if you do go the VVPS route the Tekpower will tend to outlive the tattoo power supplies by a very long time. :2c:

Gotcha, Dimmer it is. this is the best option?
http://www.amazon.com/ESUMIC-Dimmer...p/B00A5193J8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Also what is the best method for concentrates in your opinion, Cotton Ball or a little herb?

Last edited:

srama21

Monotonous Botanist

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker

underdog

Manufacturer
Gotcha, Dimmer it is. this is the best option?
http://www.amazon.com/ESUMIC-Dimmer...p/B00A5193J8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Also what is the best method for concentrates in your opinion, Cotton Ball or a little herb?

I like the one srama21 links below a little better due to the higher rated voltage/power range. Either would work though I'm sure.

As far as concentrates go I think both work about equally well so I don't really have a preference. I'd say a little experimentation is in order on your part.. on the bright side it should be fun. :brow:

@underdog I have a question on the dimmer. I ordered the one that's been mentioned on this thread a few times. Is the max on the dimmer just the maximum of what the power supply would put out?

Edit: @mrbonsai420 This is the one that's been mentioned on this thread a few times http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Lig...F8&qid=1446216454&sr=8-10&keywords=led+dimmer

Edit2: an additonal question for @underdog do i need to purchase any additional extensions with the dimmer?

The max on the dimmer is the max load it can be hooked up (safely) to, not the rated max load of the power supply. For example if you had a monster sized 12v power supply rated at 1000 watts and hooked an Underdog up to it the UD would only draw it's normal 8-10 watts and no more. Similarly the dimmer will only be passing thru that same amount of current that is drawn by the UD so even a cheap 24w dimmer is more than sufficient.. but for (nearly) the same price you might as well have the 48w dimmer. I'd rather one run at <25% of it's max power than 50% if that makes sense? :2c:

::edit:: - Oops, missed the part about the extensions and dimmer, sorry. The dimmer will work with your existing (2.1mm) extension(s) so as long as you already have some you'll be fine. The dimmer will goes between the power supply and extension so it's just a quick plug-n-play setup.

mikeben

Having gotten one recently I think they run warm enough out of the box to use concentrates now. That's not totally a problem, but with a slightly lower temp my herb lasts longer. This is why I love the $35 VVPS. It really works perfect with the Dog as I have figured out where exactly I like it for dry herb 12.2, and other 12.8.

It's very good with oil, hash etc., and of course dry herb. To avoid too much a mess, I do the herb bed method and also throw on a small cut up piece of a SS vape pad. You still have to clean the stem after each use (where pure dry herb you can get a number of uses before a clean) but it's not nearly as bad then. Nylon stays very clean, but it's hard to get a dab in the small basket unless you take it out and get it in that way. You still need a clean with it but nylon it's super easy to get the gunk off.

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate

I like a little herb and then the concentrate, but from my experience the herb gets spent and the concentrate is still going so you get some weird tasting hits.

What I personally like doing is, I have a Mighty Liquid pad I just cut about a third of it off, and just throw my concentrates on it. Fits perfect. I also only use the Stainless Steel stems with the concentrate, as it holds my steel better and gets hotter in general compared to the glass.

Any type of metal pad or cotton will do though, something to let it soak into and get vaped. I just prefer not to use cotton as I always fear I will burn it.

underdog

Manufacturer
Snapped a quick pic of what I have done so far.. some exotics and a bunch of nice Walnut too.

Remember, no 'dibs' on the sneak peaks otherwise everyone else calls foul.
15fqa0l.jpg

wqzt4p.jpg

I also have a sneak peak of the limited run of stainless stems I'm making. Some of you may have seen these specialty stems before when I've made them for myself and upon request for a few FC'ers. I'm making a limited amount of them for the Holiday Special so if you want one make sure and pick one up since I don't plan on making them again any time soon. They're a standard SS stem tip permanently swaged to a larger SS stem body.

symky0.jpg

underdog

Manufacturer
I gotta say i love my pups!!:nod::D
u9qirov.jpg

That's a hell of a lineup there KeVo! :tup:

Do the SS stems get real hot throughout or does the other end stay cool? What effect do they have on the flavor? Obviously meant more as a direct draw??

They're definitely meant as direct draw stems. In my experience the stainless has a slight taste but that it's mostly only noticeable the first time or two you use it. They will get hot if left on a vape for any extended length of time but it's a gradual process and doesn't happen super quick.. not a problem for normal use IMO.

Top Bottom