Underdog Log Vapes

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
My Pup is my daily driver. Fortunately, I've got my Pinnacle and my Volcano to comfort me in my sadness. :cry:

Crohnie,

Meghan

My Pup is my daily driver. Fortunately, I've got my Pinnacle and my Volcano to comfort me in my sadness. :cry:

To be fair, I have two Pups now, so I could loan her one. She is my sister, after all. lol.

But if I only had one? My Solo would sure help, but I'd miss the always-on convenience of my beloved UD. Guess that's why I bought a backup!

Darkedhunter

I'm pretty curious about the silicon stems. I've never used them before on any type of vape. What's the appeal/advantages? Do they load any differently?

Darkedhunter,

Meghan

I'm pretty curious about the silicon stems. I've never used them before on any type of vape. What's the appeal/advantages? Do they load any differently?

In my mind, the main advantage over the glass (but not the nylon) is the durability. You won't break a silicon stem. They also feel a lot "thicker" in the mouth. I feel like they translate into more draw resistance. Honestly, the silicon is my least favorite. I have cats and dogs, and mine seems to attract pet hair whenever I set it anywhere. It loads just the same as the others.

AdmiralAlpacha

I daily drove a silicone stem for a while and was pretty fond of it. They are durable they won't break on you and they are cheap so you can experiment and cut them to different sizes. I find that after you use it for awhile it loses its "stickyness" and doesn't attract particles any more. The silicone also makes a really nice seal around the core, which I think may result in a thicker hit (not sure on this but it seems that way).

However I actually like my hits a little wispier, and the silicone can put off a little smell/taste which is why I ultimately switched to different stems.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose, overall with any stem you are going to get a nice hit with your dog, but I find they all provide a little something different, and it's best to try them all out and see what you prefer.

Darkedhunter

My mistake! I meant to ask about the nylon stems. =/ All these synthetic polymers are getting jumbled in my brain (must be finals).

I agree about the silicon stem. I like that they typically seem less fussy then the simple glass stem. I always seem to have trouble getting the screen to stay put on the glass ones, probably because I don't use it enough. xD

Darkedhunter,

AdmiralAlpacha

I agree with that, plus I think the domed stems provide a better hit.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten to try a nylon stem so I can't help there.

AdmiralAlpacha,

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep
My mistake! I meant to ask about the nylon stems. =/ All these synthetic polymers are getting jumbled in my brain (must be finals).

I agree about the silicon stem. I like that they typically seem less fussy then the simple glass stem. I always seem to have trouble getting the screen to stay put on the glass ones, probably because I don't use it enough. xD

Just a side note - anyone who's looking to get their screens to fit better in the simple glass stems can hammer them out a little to make them wider. You can do this with the back of a spoon or anything else you've got handy. Widening out (flattening out) the screen will help the edges grab into the silicone walls a little more and keep it seated. :)

that herb guy

An easy way to do it, for anyone with the gadget, is a 'pollen press'. I just set a screen down between two 'back up' dowels (there are 4 that fit together in mine for some reason) and leave that for 30 seconds. Take it out and the screen fits brilliantly. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but probably no more than hammering with much less noise.:2c:

Darkedhunter

I will definitely have to try that out when I get home! Probably the number one reason I don't use the glass stem as much would be an unfortunate draw I had after stirring a stem once. Quite the mouthful of partially vaped material. :lol: silly mistakes...

SD_haze

Also - for those of you who've been asking how we like to replace the screens in the 14mm GonG stems, we made a quick little video:

You posted the video 1 minute before I came on FC to ask how to replace the 14mm GonG stems :rofl:

My first impressions with the 14mm GonG stems are that they're excellent. I'll still use the silicone once in a while for a more concentrated, less airy rip, but functionally this thing works awesome!

Stirring works phenomenally and the screens are set real tight.

timmahsan

treEnt
Hehe me too SD! I just placed an order earlier today to try out the WonG adapter, and just sought to try and amend my order to include that handy screen replacement kit. I'm like a lost lamb in a hardware store, so very happy that they think of these kits!

Edit: had another session just now. Played around with the vvps and got some great clouds and nice golden brown extracted ABV. I also tested how little I could put in the stem and get nice clouds. It was about a dash. Crazy small amount and still had great taste on the second hit. Bravo! My pregnant wife is enjoying the aromatherapy cup with lemon grass oil. :-)

Meghan

I'm pretty curious about the silicon nylon stems. I've never used them before on any type of vape. What's the appeal/advantages? Do they load any differently?

Ah, the nylon stem. I really like mine! I was using the simple glass stem exclusively until I got two of the nylon with my new Pup. Again, they're durable! No glass to break. The metal chamber is a lot narrower than the simple glass, GonG or especially the silicon stems, which makes it ideal for small loads. I normally load the other stems with my fingers (I'm a girl with slim fingers, so it's not difficult), but I always use the suck-up method with the nylon. That's the only real difference in loading. If you normally suck the material into the stem, you won't see any difference at all.

Beyond easily delivering you a shorter session with a smaller amount, the main advantage to the nylon, for me, is the ease of cleaning! Or rather, the fact that I haven't had to clean it at all. With the other stems, if I neglect to empty the ABV while it's still hot (and even sometimes when I don't), I get a lot of residue that's difficult to clean out completely. For whatever reason, the nylon stem just stays cleaner even when I don't knock it out immediately. That alone makes it worth having one! Granted, I haven't been using it long enough to do a real road test, but so far I'm really enjoying the addition to my stem lineup.

My apologies if this has already been answered or if I sound redundant. I started typing this a few hours ago and just came back to it. Oh well. :lol:

HSIHP

Hey everybody, I was hoping you guys could help me out a bit. My father in-law just called and told us that he wants to switch to vaping. We have used the SSV with him and he liked it but he is very impatient and pretty oblivious so he would probably have a hard time even with that unit (he would turn it up all the way and either combust or forget to turn it off!)

My thought process is that the little he needs to do to get vaping the batter so my question is, would the UD (or even a log in general) be good for him?

HSIHP,

timmahsan

treEnt
I would think so HSIHP. The most technical part you could avoid is by getting a wall plug adapter instead of the variable voltage power supply. But really, the VVPS isn't that difficult to follow through with. Dave (UD) gives great instructions with your order, and I was able to quickly learn what gave me the best results. Is your father-in-law going to vapebong, or use a stem? Both are easy! The only negative about the UD is the wait up time, but just leave it on, and you are ready at any time. Though, given you can leave these on 24/7, that is hardly on the radar as negative. This log vape is efficient, saves money, and does its job well.

Read the thread for great information and reviews, you'll see a lot of great tips and tricks.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Hey everybody, I was hoping you guys could help me out a bit. My father in-law just called and told us that he wants to switch to vaping. We have used the SSV with him and he liked it but he is very impatient and pretty oblivious so he would probably have a hard time even with that unit (he would turn it up all the way and either combust or forget to turn it off!)

My thought process is that the little he needs to do to get vaping the batter so my question is, would the UD (or even a log in general) be good for him?

An UD with a standard power adapter might be a viable option for your FIL but I'd recommend against a VVPS if he is prone to turning things to max power and forgetting them, that would destroy an UD in short order.

It might be that there's a better match for him than a Log style vape but I'm not well versed in non-Logs so someone else will have to make suggestions on that. :peace:

AdmiralAlpacha

When I get my father into vaping I plan on giving him my dog so that I can have an excuse to get a new one :p.

But really it dosn't get much simpler than a dog. You can leave it on, no controls to fuss with. To load it up all you do is suck through the stem and place it on the dog and you are ready to go. They provide small enough loads not to destroy his small tolerance, and provide fat enough rips to let him know it's working correctly.

But as others have said, I might stay clear of the vvps to keep things simple for him

Imo a log is the way to go

timmahsan

treEnt
Does anyone have any good links for VVPS's for sale that would work well with the UD and still stay on the low price end?

I want to leave the VVPS plugged in different rooms and just move the UD with me.

TIA!

timmahsan,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
quick question, how conservative is this vaporizer, or how little can you put into the bowl pack and still produce clouds of vapor?

Smacked_Salamander,

Adobewan

Very subjective. But I've gotten fantastic rips off of less than .05g. YMMV.:peace:
Agreed Stu, look at my early UD posts when I was raving like a newbie that everyone was putting too much in their stems, that I was barely loading and getting huge clouds.
@Smacked
The Underdog is the most conservative vape I own, rivaling my Cloud(signature update is very overdue). From loading to instant use, it's the easiest flower vape to use as well.
You will get an amazing device that doubles as art and Dave and Amanda, golden through and through, will take care of you FOR LIFE! AND they somehow bend time to get my packages to me before expectation every time.
I've bought three UDs so far and definitely see more in my future, for gifts and for my own greedy agenda(build an army of Underdogs to defeat the evil Overcats!).
Anyone on the fence about an Underdog should just take the plunge. You will be SO glad you did!
Peace and Happy Weekend!

AdmiralAlpacha

I haven't weighed my bowls in a while, but a lot of times before I take my daily walk I just put in enough to cover/fill the little domed screen. My standard for a large hit is probably different than some, but it provides me with 2-3 nice full hits.

In my experience underdogs(or log vapes in general really) are some of the best at micro amounts.

Also like Adobewan said, it's in your best interest to own one, even if it's just for fighting off Overcats :rofl:

Top Bottom