Underdog Log Vapes

timmahsan

treEnt
While I am going through this thread, is there anyone that can point me to a post regarding what's needed for a new buyer? I plan on using it with a bubbler. Also does anyone have a good inexpensive VVPS to pair it with, or does it come with one?

timmahsan,

AdmiralAlpacha

It should come with everything you "need." You can choose between several different options for stems, but if you want more you may need to buy those separate. Also some of the units come with the option for a vvps stock. If not though I know a lot of people around here use tattoo power supplies that can be found on amazon and ebay. If you buy one separate you will need the VVPS cord dave sells to hook it with your UD. I don't have an exact model to share with you however. Maybe someone else who has used one can jump in there.

Also depending on what kind of stem you want (the new GonG stems seem popular) you may need an adapter if your bubbler has an 18mm joint.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Hey guys, hope you're all having a good weekend, we certainly are.

@ Stu - I don't have a picture but the the new nylon SS tipped stems work by inserting into the center tube (like old Zaps, etc) to a certain depth then stops when it hits a protruding section of the center tube. This keeps the stem inserted at exactly the right depth and removes any potential stress from the heating element, etc.

@ timmahsan - I think AA has summed things up nicely but I'll add to it. Pretty much any Dog offered now (with the occasional very cheap Lost Dog as the exception) will come with the option to take a VVPS at no additional charge, this includes a cable. The Dog should come with everything you need to get you up and running right out of the box. The only thing you need to do and/or decide is what kind of bubbler you want to use and then pick stems that will work accordingly. As noted by AA we don't offer an 18mm GonG but you can use our 14mm and pick up and adapter somewhere if need be. We do still have the 18mm WonG (Wood on Glass) stems so those are an option too.

Options for direct draw: silicone stems, simple glass stems, stainless steel tipped nylon stem.

Options for bubbler use: 14mm GonG stems, 18mm WonG stems

Heading out to catch up on some busy work, will be around if you guys need anything though so let me know. :peace:

Last edited by a moderator:
underdog,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

timmahsan

treEnt
Great. Thank you UD. Whats the difference between the classic core labeled UD's and the non-labeled ones?

timmahsan,

underdog

Manufacturer
The classic core models will NOT work with the new nylon stems whereas the non-labeled ones will.

underdog,
Reactions: timmahsan

timmahsan

treEnt
Excellent, appreciate the explanation. I'm going to go over wood choices with my wife tonight. Are you expecting any new pieces in?

timmahsan,

that herb guy

Dave, Got to ask, are the wooden lined simple stems fading out? Might be worth me picking up one more if they're on limited amounts. Noticed it was conspicuously absent from the 'direct draw' options:ninja:.

that herb guy,

underdog

Manufacturer
@ timmahsan - no problem, glad to help. Probably no more pieces for 2-3 weeks until we post the next refresh sometime around then.

@ thg - yeah most likely we'll start ramping down the before long. That being said I do have quite a bit of wood cut to that size so I'll probably want to make a bunch of stems and WonGs to use it up so there will probably be a bunch available for a while and then fading out to none.

underdog,

cjwally

Hey UD - Been enjoying my dog now for 6 months or so and have been loving it! Noticed lately though that when I vape it tends to combust which tastes disgusting now that I am used to vaping. Any ideas on that? Another thing I noticed is that the core is a little loose. It hasn't been dropped and it is handled with care. What should I do?

cjwally,

SD_haze

Hey UD - Been enjoying my dog now for 6 months or so and have been loving it! Noticed lately though that when I vape it tends to combust which tastes disgusting now that I am used to vaping. Any ideas on that? Another thing I noticed is that the core is a little loose. It hasn't been dropped and it is handled with care. What should I do?
I've packed tight bowls & bumped the voltage real real high (not over 5min!) and have never, ever combusted or charred with my underdog. Is that with the unregulated wall-wart power supply? (the classic fat box that plugs into the wall)

SD_haze,

underdog

Manufacturer
@ timmahsan - order received, thanks! Will ship your Pup out in the morning. :cool:

Hey CJ, haven't seen you around in a while so it's nice to see you again. If I remember your Pup was a softer wood one so will run a bit warmer than some others and also be more prone to the loosening you're seeing. The piece will also run hotter after a long(ish) break-in period so that's probably what's up with yours. I'm guessing that you have the standard stock power supply, a VVPS would be better so you could just lower your temperature as low as you want whenever you want.

We can tighten up your Dog with a retaining ring, you can install it if you're a handy type otherwise you can send it in and I'd be happy to do it. Heat wise just sounds like we need to get you into a VVPS, shoot me a message or email and we'll get you patched right up. :peace:

Darkedhunter

Hey guys! Haven't checked in in a long while, school has been pretty hectic. Anyway, have been LOVING my Bocote Lost Dog. One stem 2-3 night a week has me soaring and my depression gone. My usage is about a gram a month, which is definitely pretty nice. =)

Anyway... Might have had a tad too much gumption when loading a stem just now. It was a tad bit full and when putting it on the UD, I think I saw the screen that is part of the UD drop slightly. Out of curiosity, I took the wooden dowel that is part of the screen making kit and pushed on the screen some more (EDIT= would like to note that this was done pretty gingerly. I poke and prod, but I also baby my things).

The screen sunk about half a centimeter. Grrrr... I screwed up, didn't I? Anyway to fix this? =(

Darkedhunter,
Reactions: underdog

underdog

Manufacturer
Hey guys! Haven't checked in in a long while, school has been pretty hectic. Anyway, have been LOVING my Bocote Lost Dog. One stem 2-3 night a week has me soaring and my depression gone. My usage is about a gram a month, which is definitely pretty nice. =)

Anyway... Might have had a tad too much gumption when loading a stem just now. It was a tad bit full and when putting it on the UD, I think I saw the screen that is part of the UD drop slightly. Out of curiosity, I took the wooden dowel that is part of the screen making kit and pushed on the screen some more (EDIT= would like to note that this was done pretty gingerly. I poke and prod, but I also baby my things).

The screen sunk about half a centimeter. Grrrr... I screwed up, didn't I? Anyway to fix this? =(

Hey Dark, glad to hear your Dog has been keeping you good company.. thanks for the update.

As far as the screen goes don't worry, it should be fine and not affect function. Most of them can move about 1/4" down before they hit the top of the heating element and can't go further. There's no good way to get the screen back up to the top that doesn't require me tearing the whole thing apart since they weren't meant to be adjusted. :peace:

underdog,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
The new GonG stems are slick. I really really like them. :) If you have not checked them out yet, I can't recommend them enough.

I like them too! I've tried a few times to take a video of my GonGage action, but something is wrong with the camera mode on my phone. Whenever I figure something out I still want to get some coverage up of the UD GonG, they work so well!

cjwally

Hey CJ, haven't seen you around in a while so it's nice to see you again. If I remember your Pup was a softer wood one so will run a bit warmer than some others and also be more prone to the loosening you're seeing. The piece will also run hotter after a long(ish) break-in period so that's probably what's up with yours. I'm guessing that you have the standard stock power supply, a VVPS would be better so you could just lower your temperature as low as you want whenever you want.

We can tighten up your Dog with a retaining ring, you can install it if you're a handy type otherwise you can send it in and I'd be happy to do it. Heat wise just sounds like we need to get you into a VVPS, shoot me a message or email and we'll get you patched right up. :peace:

Hey Dave! Good to be back at FC. Always enjoy the compassion of the forum. Sounds like I do need a VVPS. Do you carry them in stock? If so, please PM pricing :) also looking to pick up your new 14mm GonG WPB and a few more screens. If we could wrap that up in one box along with the retaining ring (with instructions on how to install) ... Much appreciated!

Happy Fogging!

AdmiralAlpacha

Just grabbed my GonG out of the mailbox. I got a nice big glass of water and a lovely sativa time to test this guy out.

Pictures will come in a second. They come in a nice little container aswell.

I also got some lemon oil to try out my dogs aromatherapy capabilities, but I have to wait to try it since I left my cup and hook at my other place :(.

Anyway, gonna test out this new gong and Ill report back.

I'm very happy with the new gong stem.

Because I can see the entire load I am more prone to stirring for some reason, which means I'm getting perfectly toasted loads from this thing.

Dave said he made them to support our pups, but I wasn't sure if that was only when completely vertical. It does in fact hold my pup on its own at a 45 degree angle.

I also have to be careful about leaving my dog on the stem when I'm not taking a hit, as expected glass gets pretty hot pretty quickly, I've burnt myself with my extreme Q plenty of times to learn this lesson. If you leave your dog on it between hits, handle with care.

I tried to show how the stem fits onto my dog the best way I could think in this video.
And here is fogshot, I didn't have any stunt doubles near by, so forgive me for the lack of milk :p
I need to get in the habit of putting it back into my glass after a hit. I keep sitting it down on its end, and then I knock it over. So far it hasn't suffered any damage though.

Here are some random pictures I took, I'm no photographer.
DgnrZdNl.jpg

ryTFviPl.jpg

3RBo5Odl.jpg

Boy do I love when my sessions include something new vapor related :p
Video's are going to be a little while, this computer doesn't do much of anything quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

underdog

Manufacturer
Thanks AA glad you like the new stem. :tup: They can get a bit hot after sitting on a vape for a minute or two.. don't ask how I know lol. I'll be getting some silicone tubing in that people can get and just slide a short piece (maybe 1" long) down over the section they like to grab to when removing/clearing, so hopefully that will be appreciated by peoples fingers. :peace:

AdmiralAlpacha

I still really like my thick silicone + simple glass stem that someone recommended on here awhile back for direct draws.

But the new gong step is such a great upgrade from the chiseled thick silicone stem I was using for hits through glass. Plus is looks much less home made for guests :p (They are always worried about what kind of weird equipment I;m pushing onto them XD)

Water kind of kills the flavor for me, but if hit directly the GonG stem has great flavor, makes me want to get some kind of 14mm GonG mouthpiece to attach to it.

I'm not sure if the evenness of the bowl is due to me stirring more often than usual, but so far this thing is giving me the most uniformly cooked bowls I have seen.

I'll be getting some silicone tubing in that people can get and just slide a short piece (maybe 1" long) down over the section they like to grab to when removing/clearing, so hopefully that will be appreciated by peoples fingers. :peace:
That sounds great, let us know when it's available!

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I'm very happy with the new gong stem.

Sweet, thanks for the media coverage! These GonGs are pretty impressive, and priced so right. That looks like some tasty fog in your video, too :cool:

Something is up with my camera, but I still plan on shooting some UD footage as well when I get that straightened out!

djonkoman

Water kind of kills the flavor for me, but if hit directly the GonG stem has great flavor, makes me want to get some kind of 14mm GonG mouthpiece to attach to it.
you could look for a nice J-hook, when I wanted a bubbler(nextr to the straight tube bong I already had) I ended up getting a precooler and a J-hook because it was much cheaper, and now I end up sometimes using just that J-hook with a 18 mm WonG for the same reason you describe, getting more flavor(but still some cooling since it has to travel a greater distance)
(the one I have is this one: http://www.head-nature.com/article/06495/"Saxobong"-Mouthpiece-18.8mm-connection.xhtml )

djonkoman,
Reactions: underdog
Top Bottom