Unbelievable (CannaCloud)

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
Wasteful (environmentally) as fuck, probably overpriced as fuck.

That said, cool that they are mainstreaming cannabis to more people in a sense.

HellsWindStaff,
Reactions: Squiby

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Am I high, yet? It says one capsule......

We're Newbies!
So doobies have ne'r
Touched our lips.
We're tokers,
Not smokers.
Our highs are legit.

Last edited:
macbill,

BeardedCrow

I can't see too many stoners using this.
And I dislike how you can't examine the quality of the weed beforehand.

BeardedCrow,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Pretty sure I called it like a year ago when we were talking about "what if apple made a vaporizer"

Delta3DStudios,

BadDog No

So if Ma legalizes, I can expect to see this at my local Bed, Bath, and Beyond? OK, not the pods maybe, but the appliance? Fat chance of legalization in a state that won't even allow all grocery stores to sell beer, but it's a nice fantasy. I'm sure there's a workaround to the pod thing just as there are refillable Keurig cups. Who knows, maybe it's a decent vape and will end up on everyone's wish list.

BadDog No,

HighSeasSailor

I'm fine with efforts to provide consistent dosing, but I inherently dislike this kind of wastefulness, and the pods sound ridiculously overpriced (paying for packaging, anyone?). I also think it defeats its own purpose to a certain extent; unlike coffee, where pretty much everyone drinks it "by the cup", cannabis doses vary from person to person and by the need at the moment. Standardizing this removes choice from the user.

Just off the top of my head, I think a vaporizer system that included reusable cartridges and a separate loading device with integrated scale and user-friendly loading and weighing system (think custom dose presets, integrated mechanical grinder, self-funneling, etc) would serve the desired purpose better. However, products like this are really aiming to go with the razor blade marketing model - cheap to get in the door, expensive to keep refilling it.

HighSeasSailor,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Medicinal marijuana needs to be consistent and prescribable by the dose. This is the kind of tech doctors need to be able to treat patients for specific ailments on a consistent basis. It is not designed to be cheap or recreational. I don't even know where a recreational user would get the pods. But this is the direction the medical industry is going in and it makes sense for them.

HighSeasSailor

Medicinal marijuana needs to be consistent and prescribable by the dose. This is the kind of tech doctors need to be able to treat patients for specific ailments on a consistent basis. It is not designed to be cheap or recreational. I don't even know where a recreational user would get the pods. But this is the direction the medical industry is going in and it makes sense for them.

What you say makes sense, but are these pods going to be available in an array of 1mg dose increments, or what? I agree with you in principle that controlled dosing is valuable to patients, but I don't think disposable cups that cost many times over what loose flower does and generate loads of trash is a useful solution for anyone except the medical industry. Preloaded cups will only force specific dose increments.

Further, I believe the pricing puts the cart before the horse! Anything designed for medical users should be cheaper than recreational products. At $6-7 a pod, assuming a pod is a single dose, that's significantly more than most recreational users would pay for a single use*, much less what you'd pay at tax-reduced medical prices. $150 is actually quite reasonable for a quality vaporizer unit, so that's not particularly overpriced, but the pricing model appears to be meant to gouge long-term users.

I couldn't find anything on the company website about where this will be marketed, or what the contents of the pods will actually be. It doesn't appear they've even gotten that far, so who knows how this price was floated.

*Just some rough estimates: many users here state use of 0.1g or less per dose, and this study finds that 0.32g is the average size of a joint, with all the implications that come with it being a joint. At $15/g, what you'd pay for small quantities of top shelf recreational cannabis in Colorado (it can be as low as $10/g if you buy in quantity, again rec prices), this implies $1.50 for a .1g session or $5 for spliff quantities, both less than what this suggests is the price of a single pod. Again, with no info on where this figure comes from, the quantity in the cups, or where this is planned to be marketed (is there a state with truly insane medical prices that they plan to sell this in?), I have a hard time judging, but this is where I base my comparison.

HighSeasSailor,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I don't think you'll ever see it marketed to you unless you are a medicinal user. imo, it fits the medical insurance model to a tee. Sell the patient a device and let the insurance cover the prescription costs. Then big pharma still gets their money like they want.

stickstones,
Top Bottom