• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

unable to edit old posts?

weedemon

enthusiast
I made a post last night around 11, and I wanted to add a word to my reply, but the edit button is gone?

how long do i have to edit posts before it's too late? can this be changed please?

weedemon,

hanfhead

is high
test

edit: still there after 5 min 10 min 30 min over an hour now

The admins really should reconsider this. If someone has a guide thread or something else that may need edited from time to time, it will not be possible to keep all the info in the original post. They would have to create a new post each time once it reaches the time limit, which will be lost in the pages of junk posts.

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
On the flip-side to consider why this can be a 'good' thing.... is that from moderating at other forums that allowed unlimited editing timelines if caused all kinds of issues when older posts were changed and directly effected both intent of the thread and in general made it near nonsensical and confusing.

So for the benefit of the forum (and members) 'in general' it was switched to limiting and has worked much better in the end.

weedemon

enthusiast
i hear what you are saying. i find in most cases when someone make an extreme post we get many members who quote there person before making their reply. (I always appreciated that) [on a related side note, I also dislike it when someone used just the quote tag, and not say who's quote it is. I always have to go searching]

but if you are limiting a person from improving their post then I think that is more harmful than helpful (in my case)

the word i wanted to add was talking about the vaporist vs vapist comments. and simply wanted to add another "ist" word that i hadn't considered.

not a huge deal but the little things count too.

also I remember a post i made one time, while i was in a really bad mood, and after a few hours i totally wished i hadn't made that post. luckily i was able to edit it and express my opinion in a less crude manner.

weedemon,
Reactions: hanfhead

placetime

I like the time-limited ability to edit posts. It would be useful to know what the time limit is, though, imho.

And there are always exceptions, right? If one were to have a compelling reason to edit or remove a post after the window has closed, couldn't the mods "fix" things if needed?

placetime,

weedemon

enthusiast
yes you're right. they could. but it's more work for them too. i guess it depends on how often they get bugged to do it.

4 h later and i can still edit the post so far.

weedemon,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
It would be nice if they could leave the edit option available for topic starters, at least for a week to a month or so, but otherwise I think it's good the way it is now. No more hindsight-self-censorship, think before you post!

..an art I not quite master myself yet, i must admit..

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
If you have a legitimate need to edit an old post (updating the url on a video or picture that may have moved, for example) then the mods will consider exceptions and make case by case decisions. This topic was heavily debated prior to the move and I think they (the mods) came to a workable solution that eliminates the ability to abuse the "edit" feature, while allowing for editing of current posts for a limited time to correct spelling, etc. Exceptions will be handled on a case by case basis.
:peace:

hanfhead

is high
Just to note, I can no longer edit my above post. I could edit it for at least 4 hours hours but left for a while and now the edit button is gone. 11:57am until sometime before 10pm so between 5-10 hours must be the limit.

hanfhead,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
As Stu mentioned, this was discussed in some depth prior to the move. I appreciate that no one likes having an ability or feature taken away, and as this is a sensitive issue it was not taken lightly. From an administrative perspective, the ability to put a time limit on edits was a very welcome feature. We've been burned in the past by members (manufacturers and thread starters included) going back months or even years later and maliciously editing or completely deleting the content of their posts, rendering important threads useless.

Being able to edit is important—I almost always see errors in my posts right after hitting the 'Post Reply' button—but unlimited edit time can be a serious problem. There are always trade offs, and while it's not a perfect solution, I think the 6 hour edit window is a good middle ground. If someone has a legitimate need to edit something beyond that (making a new post with the updated info may be a better idea since those who've been following the thread won't go back and read the old message) they can ask me via private conversation.

psyshaman

Vapor Viking
I do believe we need to rethink the classifieds rules due to this limited time to edit posts.
I needed to add extra information to my For sale add, asking people to refrain from filling my inbox with lowball offers, and the only way I could do this was via adding another post. I had already added one extra post to the thread and have then been told to re read the classifieds rules due to 'bumping' too many times.

I have read the rules and I wasn't intending to put my thread back at the top just highlight the fact that my price is firm and that the many offer emails of prices well below asking price were becoming tiresome.

I don't know how this works or if it is possible but my thoughts would be that the one section of FC that needs the OP to be able to edit their original post is the classifieds section

psyshaman,

weedemon

enthusiast
I don't know how this works or if it is possible but my thoughts would be that the one section of FC that needs the OP to be able to edit their original post is the classifieds section

i think thats a great idea. :)
in the mean time though you must pm a mod/admin to make the changes for you.

weedemon,

JoeKickass

Modnote: Merged into existing thread.

Why does the edit feature go away so quickly?

It seems like regular posts have a 5 minute edit window and PM's have a 1 minute edit window. :o

I think each should be at least five times longer.

This is why there are so many:
"Mod note: This post has been merged please use the edit feature."

What are we supposed to do if we have something else to say 6 minutes after we post?

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeKickass,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
You get 6 hours to edit a regular post, I'm not sure about PMs, but they certainly don't let you do it for that long.

6 hours should be plenty of time to edit a post :2c:

Edit:
At the time of this post, you should still be able to edit your OP for another 3 hours
Edit 2:
My rule of thumb is if its outside the 6-hours edit window, a double post is unavoidable, so not really that bad.
You can also report your own 2nd post and ask a mod to merge it with the other one? Just a thought.

Frederick McGuire,

VapeHeadz

I was wondering why I couldnt edit a post of mine from a couple of days ago where I have noticed I made a slight mistake. I guess I'm not going to be able to edit it.

So, we have between 5-10 hours to edit our posts after posting, is that right? I should try and re-read my posts a few times before that time frame I guess.

I'm not used to having time framed edit capabilities, but I'll get used to it now that I know.

VapeHeadz,
Reactions: Joaon

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
My understanding is:

It's a 6 hour limit.

Imo if anyone has responded to a thread since you've posted, you're better off quoting your own post and then adding any additional info after that.

And if no one has responded in the 6 hours it takes for your edit window to expire, it's fine to double-post.

Edit:
Aaand I thought this was a new thread :lol:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
How about this perspective:

What if a member posted comments that might be incriminating if they live in certain states? Is there nothing that can be done to allow those persons some way to remove posts based on the grounds that they were incriminating?

Most come here for information, and I think they would ask great questions [and receive great answers] if there was some assurance they could remove a paper trail.

I feel many lurkers don't contribute for just that reason.

FlyingLow,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member

What if a member posted comments that might be incriminating if they live in certain states? Is there nothing that can be done to allow those persons some way to remove posts based on the grounds that they were incriminating?

Most come here for information, and I think they would ask great questions [and receive great answers] if there was some assurance they could remove a paper trail.

Don't use your real picture and real name and you're golden. Unlimited edits leads to threads that make no sense due to deleted content. Trust me, we've seen it before and therefore have the current 6-hour limit in place.

:peace:

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey

For anything serious like that, just report your own post, and in the reason ask the mods to remove the offending material.

That's how I've done it once or twice.
Or pm a mod directly and get is sorted that way. :)

hanfhead

is high
Just to note, I can no longer edit my above post. I could edit it for at least 4 hours hours but left for a while and now the edit button is gone. 11:57am until sometime before 10pm so between 5-10 hours must be the limit.

Argh damnit now I will never be able to edit the "hours hours" typo. Why did I have to notice it after all these years. Fitting thread at least lol.

Top Bottom