Ughh...mason jar broke - glass shards in herb

Balzac

I feel embarrassed just for asking this question, but I have about an oz of high-quality herb that was in a mason jar which was in another larger container - it broke and glass shards got everywhere. It is possible to remove them but I assume there could be even smaller invisible fragments still in there so obviously I don't want to risk it.

I also prefer not to make homemade concentrates so I'm thinking my best bet would be to get a water filtration device?

Or are there any vaporizers out there that would have an airpath that would eliminate any possible glass shards from the vapor? I own a Firefly, MFLB, Mighty Vapcap and Enano.

Balzac,

Balzac

Thanks for the replies so far - I'm a light user and never needed water filtration but am I wrong in assuming it would be impossible for glass to get through water?

Balzac,

vapmanjoe

Thanks for the replies so far - I'm a light user and never needed water filtration but am I wrong in assuming it would be impossible for glass to get through water?

Water filtration could help but not sure if one can call it absolutely safe :shrug: I think for me the possible health risks would predominate. But that would be quite an interesting study - to examine the fine dust of vapor with and without water filtration with a sort of a dummy lung :science:

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Try a dark room, magnifying reading glasses or optical loupe, tweezers and a small flashlight. Slowly work your way through the herb. When finished, don't grind any of it before using. Then I would think that a VapCap with a hemp sandwich filter would pretty much safeguard inhalation of solid particles.

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
Or are there any vaporizers out there that would have an airpath that would eliminate any possible glass shards from the vapor? I own a Firefly, MFLB, Mighty Vapcap and Enano.

...depending on how big/small the shards are a fine screen may keep the shards back... or something like a double weave screen (eerlectric or newvape) i would assume would do the trick... the double weave screens keep everything out ime (little bits of herb)...

...if your still worried, use a double weave screen, water filtration and add some hemp fiber somewhere in the mix, on top of screen perhaps?

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
all i know is about 30 years ago i had my car broken into in Manhattan; a window was smashed and my tape deck was stolen. No matter what i did, no matter how thoroughly I vacuumed I NEVER got all the glass out - there was always just a little glass somewhere. I think your health is worth more than the cost of an ounce and i know it's pricey.

The following day after my window was smashed, after I spent the afternoon at car glass junkyards I treated myself to a higher quality tape deck for the car. I would suggest you do the equivalent - if you can, buy another ounce of even higher quality bud and the loss will seem less significant.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
For your health and safety it would be impossible to get all the shreds of glass removed. It’s just too difficult to find those tiny pieces. Something like a small piece of glass could go into your lungs.

I feel for you because that’s an expensive goof up. Not worth your health though. What a bummer.

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
You can make a filter for the vapcap using the @Squiby method (see best of vapcap). You could even do a double filter on each side of the screen.
This coupled with a water pipe should be fine.

I’d be afraid even if you pressed it for rosin, there could still be bits, depending on your method.

MinnBobber

IMO, don't squish into rosin. Glass specs could flow out and glass can wreck ones rosin plates!

Since Mighty holds more than VapCap, I'd modify a dosing capsule with a screen AND hemp filter in the lid.
I do this anyhow, for normal use---to keep those nasty ABV micro particle/ABV dust from getting out.

No glass is going to get thru that double barrier.
Picture attached---dosing capsules on far left: above the open lid is the screen and hemp filter which secure into lid.
WccBNVa.jpg

Note: I like extra screens and filters in all my vapes !!!

MegaMan2k

This is one of the few cases where i would call for a solvent indeed.
I just dont see glass shards of any size getting past the cofee style filter that is involved in these types of extraction.

to avoid solvents you could maybe just go with a coconut or olive Oil infusion and strain that thru a cofeefilter

Balzac

Thanks for weighing in everyone! I don't know what I'm going to do yet, but I appreciate all the advice.

Balzac,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Chicken Charlie

MicroDose Cognoscente
M.D. (Psychiatrist) responding. Don't put your lungs at risk via introduction of glass particles (and/or) glass dust into your plural cavities (lungs); as you risk development of Silicosis. Symptomology equates to prolonged shortness of breath concurrent with diminished levels of blood oxogen saturation. Further...this diagnosis also increases the risk of comorbid diseases (tuberculosis, lung cancer, and chronic bronchitis). Cut your loses and stay safe) Edit...from psychological/behavioral perspective I endorse the suggestion offered by contributor jffp.

MinnBobber

I would feel 100% safe vaping it thru a dosing capsule with the bottom half being the bud and the top half of the capsule being a much thicker than normal degummed hemp fiber filter or organic cotton.

No way any particles are getting thru that filter!
PLUS, after vapor exits that maze, it goes thru the Crafty cooling units with a dozen twists and turns, all lined with goo.

I wouldn't waste an oz when it can be salvaged with a little extra technique. Just my opinion and what I'd do :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom