TV Shows - General Discussion

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
"The Knick"-- A look at the professional and personal lives of the staff at New York's Knickerbocker Hospital during the early part of the twentieth century.
I can't get enough of this show.
Thank you for suggesting The Knick. It's an excellent show. Clive Owen does a great job. Just watched 3 episodes. I didn't even know that this little gem was out there.

I can't wait for a new Outlander in January. It's also really good.

NinjaMindTriks

Ninja Vapor Enthusiast
I was really pumped for outlander because it's written by battlestar Galactica's Ron Moore, but I've watched 3 episodes and can't really get into it. Not much action, just romance.

NinjaMindTriks,

FrigginRights

Is it me, or is walking dead really lame now?
I mean a group of people find another group of people, who get attacked by another group of people + zombies, then half of the original group dies, and then repeat the process.

They went from hospital, to farm, to jail, to one eyed dude, to cannibal land, to a church, and now a hospital. Amazing... I rather watch someone play left 4 dead haha.

FrigginRights,
Reactions: snamuh

olivianewtonjohn

I mean a group of people find another group of people, who get attacked by another group of people + zombies, then half of the original group dies, and then repeat the process.

They went from hospital, to farm, to jail, to one eyed dude, to cannibal land, to a church, and now a hospital. Amazing... I rather watch someone play left 4 dead haha.
I hear you. I think walking dead is just one of those shows that you have to just enjoy for what it is and not over analyze as a whole. Enjoy it more episode bases than zooming out. What I mean is you listed those faults but just enjoying the character interaction and the different growth they have. If for some reason you havent checked it out, I would recommend breaking bad; basically the perfect show IMO

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
I've got some guilty pleasures.

- During the day, lot of time I have the History Channel on while doing stuff, or Comedy Central. Got to love the classic South Parks/Chappelle's Show/etc. and History Channel usually has some interesting stuff on, sometimes its a little dry but I'm not usually engrossed, just keeping it on in the background.

- If I'm actually trying to watch TV though, I love a good drama. Breaking Bad, Lost, Game of Thrones, are some of my favorites. Lost is maybe my favorite show of all time :p Also love sci fi, Battlestar Galactica, Dr. Who, and I'm kinda backlogged on the Walking Dead but its pretty good. Also started watching True Detective, really good so far but only one episode in.

- My guilty pleasures, I'm a sucker for CBS reality TV, specifically Survivor but I'll keep tabs on what is happening in Big Brother. I like the idea that it's a big mind game essentially that you are trying to fuck everyone else over, but at the same time do it gracefully. The finale of this season of Survivor is Wednesday, hasn't been the best season but I'm pretty hyped still not gonna lie.

So what else do you guy's like to watch? Again, sorry if this is a duplicate, just trying to generate some discussion and hadn't seen anything :p happy vaping.

HellsWindStaff,
Reactions: Magic9

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
Big Brother is a blast. It's not summer at our house without BB.
I just recently started getting into it, pretty psyched for BBCAN though, very much enjoyed the first 2 but that is also around when I started getting into BB, so that could be a factor.

HellsWindStaff,
Reactions: mitchgo61

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I just recently started getting into it, pretty psyched for BBCAN though, very much enjoyed the first 2 but that is also around when I started getting into BB, so that could be a factor.

It's a roller coaster. There's always a point in the season where I lose interest and then a week later something changes and I'm all engaged again.

Last year they altered a couple rules that sorta ruined the arc of the game. Given all the negative feedback I suspect they will change it back.

mitchgo61,

lwien

The Wire
The series has been remastered in HD for the first time, and to celebrate, one full season will air each day—starting Dec. 26th. and will be released digitally on Jan. 5th.
-------HBO

I never got a chance to watch this series so my DVR is set to record. This was a great find for me. To others who have never seen it, it is, along with Breaking Bad, one of the best reviewed series on TV.

mitchgo61

The Wire
The series has been remastered in HD for the first time, and to celebrate, one full season will air each day—starting Dec. 26th. and will be released digitally on Jan. 5th.
-------HBO

I never got a chance to watch this series so my DVR is set to record. This was a great find for me. To others who have never seen it, it is, along with Breaking Bad, one of the best reviewed series on TV.

Incredible show. Couldn't be less like BB (or The Shield, the other member of the Holy Trinity of crime drama)...but it is mesmerizing. The way each season has an interlocking but variable focus makes it even better. The manner in which the story arcs unfold is masterful and unlike any other show. (Only Coppola's The Conversation comes close to this storytelling approach.)

Enjoy!

mitchgo61,

djonkoman

I thought it was always somewhat lame, but still I watch it... but I can only watch it stoned, if I watch it sober I'm constantly annoyed by their lack of long-term thinking and their stupid decisions.
they had a great place at that farm, if they had just taken some cars, wich are abonded all over the place, and drive tem to the farm(they constantly drive, so apparentrly no gasoline-shortage), and place them in a circle around the farm as a barrier. most basic thing they could've done, but no, instead they were bitching at eachother and fucking eachother while out on a supply-run(seriously, you're in an abonded store you just entered, no idea how many zombies are inside, and you think it's a good moment to fuck?)

but despite the stupid decisions it's a fun show to watch, as long as I'm stoned enough.

djonkoman,
Reactions: grokit

lwien

Sounds like when I used to try and watch true blood :tup:

I LOVED True Blood but then I lost interest and stop watching it after the 2nd season. That usually happens when I see the show going askew, either in plot, direction, script, acting, etc. It gets to a point where I say to myself, "Why am I still watching this?" and then I stop.

But what happens sometimes, and this drives me nuts, is after I tune out, a season or two later, I read a review stating how great the series is and that whatever rough patches they went through, they made the necessary corrections and it's now a great show.

Enchantre

Oil Painter
It is always the second season that gets messed up.

Usually, for a good series, they pick up the pace again in third season.

Enchantre,

grokit

well-worn member
Yeah true blood rocked the first season, and really fell off after the second one. I stuck with it but not because I was compelled to watch it. It just got more and more ridiculous, then it was finally over.

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
The Wire is pretty amazing, I've only seen 2 seasons of it, but I would like to finish it up at some point.

I've really been enjoying True Detective, about 4 episodes in now, really gripping show.

Walking Dead is OK....I have to be stoned, and the lack of common sense does annoy me, but it keeps me kind of entertained...that being said, haven't seen any of the new season and most of last season...its a show I'll catch up on, on a rainy day.

I've also been watching Dragonball Z.....recently downloaded the whole series so reliving my childhood a little bit :p the nostalgic feels

HellsWindStaff,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
Broad City is pretty funny, though I've only seen a handful of episodes.

Finished True Detective, was fantastic. The ending was somewhat lackluster, but its a crime show....they either solve the case or they don't, its not like there can be much of a climax....but the journey and the thematic tones they incorporated into the show, really really well done, specifically I like how they bring up the idea of a "good man".....what makes a good man? Is it how one carries himself on the job? At home? When alone? Overall just a splendid show, really looking forward to S2.

Downloaded the complete series of Curb Your Enthusiasm the other day....always heard great things, and REALLY loved the first season a few years back, but I never had the time to acquire them. Gonna watch a few of those after work.

As far as good dramas......kind of don't know what to watch....love a good TV show and just can't find anything thats really keeping my interest. AHS S1 was fantastic, S2 was decent but I thought it was getting a little off, and I heard S3 was pretty terrible so haven't watched it yet. LOST is my favorite show of all time probably, haven't ever rewatched it so maybe I can do that. BSG and Fringe were both pretty good. I have Seasons 1-4 of Oz and never finished the series, but I don't remember whats going on and don't really want to rewatch the prior seasons.

Maybe The Shield? Always heard good things. Also meaning to get The Larry Sanders Show....its kind of before my time, but I've only heard AMAZING things. Some of you older heads may be more familiar.

I've been watching Dragonball Z still at night before I go to bed with a FireFly, the memories :') I'm like halfway through Gohan's training with Vegeta and the Ginyu Force on their way :D

The next season of Survivor starts Feburary 25th, and the cast is officially released this Wednesday....I'm pretty hyped about that....3 tribe start which always allows for more fluid and exciting gameplay, and I actually have spoke with a guy on this upcoming season a handful of times about Survivor before he got cast.....he's a former professor at who taught a class on reality TV, real funny dude and I'm excited to get to watch a guy who I know in any capacity play.

BBCAN 3 starts in March as well I'm pretty sure, so I'll be enjoying that.

That's what I'm watching or planning on checking out, could always use more suggestions though :) I'm open to most anything if you couldn't tell.

HellsWindStaff,

grokit

well-worn member
I just watched the first season of banshee, it's not quite as good as true detective but I like it so far.

grokit,

mitchgo61

The Shield is great. One of the great crime/cop shows ever. Might seem a bit dated now, but it's not to be missed. It is fucking brutal though....there are a few scenes I could use scrubbed from my memory. Luckily the passage of years has dimmed them a bit. :uhoh:

Season 3 of The Americans starts next week. Everyone should check this show out...up there with the great modern dramas. Seriously outstanding acting.

Top Bottom