TV Shows - General Discussion

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Has anybody checked out the amazon series, the man in the high castle?
It's based on a philip k dick novel, sounds interesting.

It's decent, the production and style is incredible. Acting and story are so so but it picks up a bit and sets up season 2 well (which premieres in December)

Amazon will have a lot this fall/winter

Shit Snacks

I checked out a couple of shows... like Atlanta a lot, One Mississsippi looks really strong but I think Mary & Jane is kinda meh. If you've got Broad City and you've got High Maintenance then....???

lol yeah, its not quite as good as either of those shows, it's way too focused around hipster parody, but also very LA vs NY like those. Still pretty fun though, I watch a lot of comedies so it's nice to have so many good ones (especially female driven ones where we used to only see men like that)... I also like Atlanta much more than One Mississippi so far, and Better Things dude, definitely watch Better Things... Also pretty excited for Insecure on HBO, some broadcast comedies too, but we'll see

Last edited:

Ricardo

For anyone in the UK (or with VPN access) , Channel 4 has a collection called "Walter Presents" which showcases "the best of international TV" and there's some good stuff on there. I've just finished watching a very dark Belgian (Flemish) comedy called "The Out-laws" (original title "Clan"). Subtitles in English. This is one most women will love (I think) and most men will feel very uncomfortable watching, especially with wives or girlfriends.

lwien

Just finished watching the second episode of Better Things. This is one of those rare shows that when it's over I can't believe that it's over. It's like, "Wait, it's only been 5 minutes." Quirky in a CK kind of way and the acting is ridiculously good, especially from the lady that plays Pam's mother.

And Atlanta, a show that's outside the box, both in script, cinematography, pacing and comedic timing. Love this show as well. A real refreshing change of pace.

My 2 new favorite shows at this time.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Just finished watching the second episode of Better Things. This is one of those rare shows that when it's over I can't believe that it's over. It's like, "Wait, it's only been 5 minutes." Quirky in a CK kind of way and the acting is ridiculously good, especially from the lady that plays Pam's mother.

And Atlanta, a show that's outside the box, both in script, cinematography, pacing and comedic timing. Love this show as well. A real refreshing change of pace.

Between you and @Shit Snacks recommending it, I'm definitely going to have to watch Better Things.

Shit Snacks

:nod::nod::nod:
and You're the Worst has been great as per usual too. I did another two episodes of One Mississippi too, no new Louie but at least hes producing so many good new shows... Oh and Documentary Now! just came back with season two as well, different kind of comedy, but good goofy fun nevertheless

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I really liked this week's episode of South Park. It started out going in so many directions and then everything started converging near the end. I like how they're doing season long story arcs now. It's rare that a show steps up its game that far into its lifespan.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Atlanta is incredible. Knew it from the moment FX starting developing with DG. The BAN episode is truly brilliant, top notch TV

Just finished season one of Blunt Talk, not as good as Bored to Death but still fun and fully realized. Ready to start season 2 now

Also recently started This Is Us and Speechless, pretty good broadcast family shows. Oh and binged through Fleabag in a day (UK comedy streaming on Amazon) which was also great

Still need to start Quarry, it's got five episodes now and I'm sure it will be quite good as well (going to start Westworld when it's got some more episodes to begin en binge too)

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
Anyone else check out the Amazon Pilots for Jean Claude Van Johnson and The Tick. Both look very promising.

Currently binge watching the second season of Salem to get ready for season 3. Didn't think I would like it but the show really draws you in.

Shit Snacks

Then there's the new time travel shows - Timeless (meh) and Frequency (mmm)... Westworld is a bit meh too, IMHO.

Yeah timeless has potential but is too easy probably, will take several episodes if it can get that far. Didn't expect much of frequency, I guess we'll see long-term. I'm more looking forward to Making History when its on fox in early 2017, the pilot script was pretty fun. There's another one coming on abc, time after time with hg wells chasing jack the ripper

Need to watch the Amazon pilots but the whole seasons will be available eventually so no rush really... Always so much to watch never enough time, i guess we need real life time travel!

Shit Snacks,

Deleted Member 1643

Has anybody checked out the amazon series, the man in the high castle?
It's based on a philip k dick novel, sounds interesting.

Tied with Mr. Robot Mr. Robot as best new series of 2015, IMO. Binge-watched the whole season, thought "that was cool", and watched it again. Read the novel ages ago, along with dozen's of Philip K. Dick's others. He was remarkably prolific and my college library held an impressive collection.

No idea what to expect from season 2, but that was true of Mr. Robot as well.

Shit Snacks

Tied with Mr. Robot Mr. Robot as best new series of 2015, IMO. Binge-watched the whole season, thought "that was cool", and watched it again. Read the novel ages ago, along with dozen's of Philip K. Dick's others. He was remarkably prolific and my college library held an impressive collection.

No idea what to expect from season 2, but that was true of Mr. Robot as well.

You know there's a Philip K Dick anthology series in the works too, stand alone episodes inspired by his books and stories, I think some big names are involved too, UK/USA production

Morty

Not sure if anyone here's into The Evil Dead movies, but they just started the 2nd season of Ash vs. Evil Dead on Starz. It is fucking brilliant! Great rock soundtrack throughout & freaking hilarious. You should check it out even if it's not your normal thing.

Tranquility

Not sure if anyone here's into The Evil Dead movies, but they just started the 2nd season of Ash vs. Evil Dead on Starz. It is fucking brilliant! Great rock soundtrack throughout & freaking hilarious. You should check it out even if it's not your normal thing.
Would it be as funny if one hasn't watched the movies? I saw the Rotten Tomatoes review/rating this morning and they (as well as the audience rating) rated the show high and it made me interested. But, I haven't watched the movies.

Would it still be great?

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Would it be as funny if one hasn't watched the movies? I saw the Rotten Tomatoes review/rating this morning and they (as well as the audience rating) rated the show high and it made me interested. But, I haven't watched the movies.

Would it still be great?
I think you would still like it. I've only seen the first movie and it was years (decades) ago, I barely remember it. I thought the first season of the show was brilliant.

Shit Snacks

Falling Water on USA is pretty intriguing, character mystery drama about interconnected dreams, first two episodes are quite good so hopefully it continues to build

First two episodes of Insecure were also pretty good, but not yet a favorite

Shit Snacks,

Ricardo

Maybe of limited interest (it's on BBC Four in the UK), a trilogy of Nordic Noir feature length episodes - Department Q,
based (I think) on novels by the guy who wrote Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It takes the place of (gentle, procedural Beck - man, did I get a shock!!!

Ricardo,

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I am halfway through "Haters Back Off" and I can't stop pissing myself. This shit is ridiculous but hilarious. I thought Steve Little was great in "Eastbound and Down", but his potential really seems to blossom in this one. Between him and Colleen Ballinger they really nailed the Napoleon Dynamite charisma. The only thing about the show is the normal girl is the one thing that almost makes it uncomfortable. It's like she is too normal to actually exist with the rest of this splendid freak show...now to get back to my soaking wet lazy-boy so I can finish my show!

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
I'm a Black Mirror fan, mostly.. A lot of the episodes are like a fucked up Twilight Zone...

They recently released season 3 of Black Mirror on Netflix! The first Episode of Season 3 is Nosedive :tup: It's a satire on social media addiction... Check it out! whether you consider yourself an addict or not.. but especially if you do! :lol:

:peace:

Tranquility

I'm a Black Mirror fan, mostly.. A lot of the episodes are like a fucked up Twilight Zone...

They recently released season 3 of Black Mirror on Netflix! The first Episode of Season 3 is Nosedive :tup: It's a satire on social media addiction... Check it out! whether you consider yourself an addict or not.. but especially if you do! :lol:

:peace:
While Black Mirror tends towards being dark, I think this season was morose. The shows were good, but, they didn't really leave you feeling upbeat after watching them. (Not that we are meant to feel that way.) I'd think they'd be a lot more enjoyable with a certain mind set.

Don't go in in a bad mood.

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
While Black Mirror tends towards being dark, I think this season was morose. The shows were good, but, they didn't really leave you feeling upbeat after watching them. (Not that we are meant to feel that way.) I'd think they'd be a lot more enjoyable with a certain mind set.

Don't go in in a bad mood.
I really like entertainment that ins't afraid, or maybe even eager, to go against the grain just to take you on a unique and bumpy ride.. After seeing the very first episode of the series, I pretty much knew what I was signing up for :lol: IMO they play that double edge sword w/ the writing pretty well in most episodes, and I think that's really what attracts me to the show, but I can see how that can leave some feeling like the episode doesn't agree w/ them.. While I enjoyed them all as a whole (even the more morose ones), I tend to really like the episodes like Playtest though; the ones dealing w/ perception, reality, technology, etc.. Also the amnesia type ones; I'm a sucker for amnesia type stuff! :lol:

Top Bottom