KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
On a completely unrelated note, I was trying to find some info on the OMNI chipset (as used in the Vaporesso mods) and I stumbled on this discussion which gave me a strong feeling of deja-vu:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/vaporesso-nebula-wattage-change.800815/

Especially the end. We had exactly the same discussion here with @funkyjunky when I said you guys should really be using 30A CDR cells with your 70W output target as it's way too much for the 18A cells you use (ex: HG2, 30Q, VTC6...) I also think it's stressful enough for the cell, even if the firmware tries to prevent that from happening, but FJ thinks it's fast to detect the problematic condition... Well, I still think it's best to prevent the condition in the first place by using the right cells.

In the e-cig world nobody recommends using sub 20A cells for over 70W output. Even 25A would be too close to the limit. Also many of you guys reported overheating conditions, so it's not good for the cells (even if it's only the chipset converter / FETs that are heating too much, the heat gets transferred to the entire device)

Last but not least, everytime I read resistance range recommendations for SS TC, they say it's best to have the coils between 0.5 and 1.0ohm. With lower resistances you get a really bad resolution on the ADC and errors are amplified which results in a greater temperature variation. I had hopes when I got the evic Primo mini but it's the same chipset and the ADC is poor really. Even with ArticFox and PID regulation the readings are wild and it's pretty hard to get under 10°C temperature precision.

What makes the success of DNA, YiHi and HohmTech chipsets is not just the software, they also use better hardware. I hope FJ will consider making some deluxe Tubos using DNA boards. That would get rid of the (IMHO) somewhat awkward form factor and would feel much more elaborated and integrated.

https://www.evolvapor.com/products/dna75
https://www.evolvapor.com/products/dna250

Of course the price would have to be higher, but that's expected when using high end components. And when buying in bulk, I'm not sure that the price difference would be that large, "just" need 18650 battery holders, an internal frame of some kind to add rigidity, a front panel and/or button caps and voila... All the rest can be borrowed from the existing Tubo.

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Did @funkyjunky ditch the PA project?
Nope,he has the design ready. If you anybody wants one i am sure he will make one,but it would be best if you supply the meanwell 200-4 on your own cause it is one heavy bitch,and might bump up the shipping cost. As for the rest of stuff box,battery dummy,cables, FJ offered to print them and send them in a flat envelope it would be the most affordable option,but still a DIY format . As much i love the PA i must say that it didnt got me rid of the overheating issues when back to back bowls are done and for the price of the meanwell you can get 12 x VTC5 here.. :)
The PA is cool if you have the Single battery tubo but With my 4 battery MOD i counted 16 arizer cup loads divided into 8 sessions and battery was like 20% .. My gf is the only person using it now but she went 3 days without the need of charging and i think she can squeeze some more. Performance doesnt drop like on the single battery mod at all..
Edited:
Ooops i guess Prolusio beat me to it, i should have hit refresh before posting :)..
-----------
With the meanwell PA you can run the TUBO at 4.5 V if i am not mistaken.
------------
I actually had thoughts of getting one EVIC VTC MINI for the TUBOx so i can use it with the PA. So this is probably going to happen when i start vaping again :) and also will order the box,dummy,battery door like @Gray Area plans to do.. ,i actually regret for not ordering them along with the TUBOx,just because of the aesthetic value.

If you wanna get the PA with a nice warranty i suggest choosing someone from the recommended distributors ,mine came with 5 year warranty :o http://www.meanwell.eu/distributors.aspx

Last edited:

luke00978

After a quick search it appears the 5V LED drivers are not suitable as they only have +/10% output voltage adjustment.

But I stumbled on a cheaper alternative >> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/rat...12cm-fan-220v-with-6pin-8pin/32788733562.html

...using a PC power supply! This one for instance claims 28A on the 3.3V rail and that could do the trick (@funkyjunky will have to do the math and confirm, also it might force the evic into boost mode maybe in which case it would heat more due to the lower efficiency compared to buck mode?)

There are some subtleties to make PC PSUs work without a motherboard connected though (some need a dummy load and most need at least a way to exit standby mode) but nothing hard really and there are plenty of youtube tutorials for that.

For the fake 18650 if you find the right 3DP model there are many on demand printing services that would make the part and ship it to you for a reasonable fee. Of course getting the "real deal" from FJ is even better and would support his business...

sounds interesting, was going to look into hacking an old pc power supply will have to watch a few vids and get the multimeter out!

SiDankies

Someone want to explain the function of this thing I’m not gunna read through 72 pages but I keep hearing how great this vape is. Is it on demand? I know it’s removable battery. What is the heating element? What is that cord that I have been seeing in people’s pictures? Where the heck can I buy on?

Abysmal Vapor

Someone want to explain the function of this thing I’m not gunna read through 72 pages but I keep hearing how great this vape is. Is it on demand? I know it’s removable battery. What is the heating element? What is that cord that I have been seeing in people’s pictures? Where the heck can I buy on?
http://tubo.lamart.ch/ Use the e-mail at the bottom for contact or message @funkyjunky via the forum message system.
There are two models of Tubo currently available, Classic Tubo is 2in1 (mod Evic VTC mini + heater) ,Tubo X (the one with the cable is just the heater which u can use with a mod of your choice, somewhere in the thread is a list of models that are compatible with its software.
Heating elements can be seen in the first pages, it is made of SS coils inside glass tubes.

Last edited:

SiDankies

http://tubo.lamart.ch/ Use the e-mail at the bottom for contact or message @funkyjunky via the forum message system.
There are two models of Tubo currently available, Classic Tubo is 2in1 (mod Evic VTC mini + heater) ,Tubo X (the one with the cable is just the heater which u can use with a mod of your choice, somewhere in the thread is a list of models that are compatible with its software.
Heating elements can be seen in the first pages, it is made of SS coils inside glass tubes.

Thanks bud. Are the two models comparable in performance?

metaknight

I dab. A lot.
This looks like a great vape IMO. Convection, glass air path, and uses an 18650 battery. Maybe a contender to my Air II? I've been watching videos of this vaporizer, courtesy to @Abysmal Vapor for the purchase page. I really like how it has a power adapter just like how the old Solo used to have, a must-have for a stoner mind like mine, forgetting to charge all of those darn batteries! :doh:

I have a couple of LG HE2's, I noticed that it's a lower capacity than the recommended batteries that are displayed but holds the same amperage and voltage as the HG2's so I'm assuming that wouldn't be an issue to use with this unit. I bought the HE2's for my OG Air and they worked great, almost a little bit better than the OG Air's battery.

The usage videos though...:mmmm:

Abysmal Vapor

Thanks bud. Are the two models comparable in performance?
Yes and no.I have both so i will try to make a comparison. As mentioned classic TUBO is based on a single battery mod EVIC VTC,while TUBOx can be hooked to a 3-4 battery mod like the WismecRX300 (4 batteries 300w) and the Cuboid 200w(3 batteries). So in my case the TUBOx outperforms the TUBO mainly because of that.
IMO The Classic TUBO is more compact in design cause it is two in one ,but the downside is that it gets hot easy, and battery lasts only 2-3 full bowl(18.8mm Glass joint) or 4 caps session(Arizer cup which sits on top of the Glass joint which allows to use less material and keeps it closer to the heater) . There is some heat radiated from the heater which gets to the mod part ,which might get you DEVICE too hot message when doing back to back bowls. Performance drops a bit when battery is getting low as with many other vapes. I suggest getting more than one battery with it ,so you can swap them.Also this model is better for one hand vaping and direct draw ,because of the 2 in 1 design.Tubo classic weights total 232 grams with the samsung 30q battery inside (which represents 42gram of the overall weight) . I recommend this model if you are looking for something more comfortable and are not looking on doing back to back bowls. It also can be hooked to a Power Adapter(cost as much as 12 batteries) ,which gives you endless battery life ,but it wont get you rid of device too hot message if you are doing back to back bowls.(wont shine at parties,multiple user experiences)
TUBOx will never get the device too hot message at least that is the case with my WISMEC RX 300 .. U can do as much back to back bowls if you like ,and service the needs of a few people. Batterylife is HUGE,because it has 4 batteries inside. I think it would outlast the EVIC VTC mini with 4 batteries in rotation,because battery drain is distributed evenly among the 4 cells,While with the Classic single battery drains charge really fast and performance drops a bit as soon as it goes below 50%. I have to note that with the wismec mod TUBOx is really heavy = 520grams (280grams for the Wismec + Sony VTC5 batteries x 4 =170grams and TUBOx = 70g) .I recommend this model if your vaporizing habits involve water filtration + it can be used with other mod devices,which means that you can get single dual battery mods which are less on weight compared to the RX300. TUBO heaters are extremely durable and those cheap mods we are using are known to brick easily,so having it separated from the device makes it far more user serviceable than the classic tubo,where if you get a problem with the Built in Mod you will have to send it back for repair ,while with the TUBOx you can just switch to a new mod battery.
My thoughts got scattered so i will say in summary .
If you are looking for one hand vaping experience and are willing to wait few minutes for cool down between sessions get the Classic TUBO. It is much more comfortable to use .
If you are looking for more power,battery life and doing back to back bowls then get the TUBOx with a 3-4 battery mod.
---------------------
On a side note , in better times than now i would get a EVIC VTC MINI to use with the TUBOx and the PA and will let you know if it has the same issues with back to back bowls like the OG TUBO. I still cant figure out which plays bigger role in the board overheating issue - The heat radiated from the chamber or it is just the chip of the EVIC thats gets too hot easier than the Wismec.

Last edited:

Prolusio

TUBOx will never get the device too hot message at least that is the case with my WISMEC RX 300

Nice comparison! So far that has been my experience with the TuboX as well. Performs = to or better than the Tubo, depending on your preferences. I typically use my vape through water so the X is pretty much an all around upgrade for me.. Longer lasting, more powerful, and easier to replace individual parts. I feel the TuboX provides the full Tubo experience once configured properly; very happy with its performance.

I'm using it with the Cuboid and have my cruise timer set to 500s. The heater does get warm in repeated back to back sessions but the Cuboid itself is nice and cool and has yet to give me any issues. No atomizer shorts, no frozen cruise screens, and no too hot messages; I think that extra power really benefits the whole system.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Nice comparison! So far that has been my experience with the TuboX as well. Performs = to or better than the Tubo, depending on your preferences. I typically use my vape through water so the X is pretty much an all around upgrade for me.. Longer lasting, more powerful, and easier to replace individual parts. I feel the TuboX provides the full Tubo experience once configured properly; very happy with its performance.

I'm using it with the Cuboid and have my cruise timer set to 500s. The heater does get warm in repeated back to back sessions but the Cuboid itself is nice and cool and has yet to give me any issues. No atomizer shorts, no frozen cruise screens, and no too hot messages; I think that extra power really benefits the whole system.

I would love to see one of your great videos of the Tubo X! My buddy loves my Flowerpot, but has two kids... so I keep telling him get a Tubo!

Prolusio

I would love to see one of your great videos of the Tubo X!

Thanks man! I'm new to making videos, but it's a lot of fun!

I tried making a couple tonight. The first one is just me rambling about the Tubo PA and Tubo X side by side. Second video is some hits from the Tubo X + Cuboid 200W and the Tubo + PA.

Excuse my silly syntax at times; I had a few bowls getting the shots setup so I'm well under the effects of the Tubo by the time I was ready. Said the PA had an air filter when I really just meant intake/vent, forgot to mention that poplar wood can be coloured, said the "jaws" didn't line up when I meant the laser cut wood, etc.. Minor mistakes (that I noticed :lol:) but I didn't mean to be misleading!
Really need to get a camera so I can see wtf I'm doing.. There's a time where I hold up a black book I had trying to make the vapour more visible, total fail:doh::shrug:. Tried adding a black background and didn't seem to help; think I have too many lights. I can't seem to get a good place to show everything clearly and the vapour.

When I shot my GS vid I had a sunbeam coming in just perfect so it worked great. But sadly winter is coming and the sun abandons me :ugh:. Ah well, good enough for fun! I think it's pretty logical that milky glass = good clouds anyway.

Oh, I realize that after all that I didn't really give my opinion on the PA/Tubo X itself! :disgust::rolleyes:

The Power Adapter is simply amazing. @funkyjunky did an outstanding job constructing it and on the custom paint job I requested. The fact that it was damaged in transit should not be a knock against it IMO; to me that just means it can survive a lot of abuse and keep working.

Function wise the PA makes the already amazing Tubo even better.. Works the same, but no charging..I think that's pretty much all that needs to be said about that!

If I had any criticisms of the device it would be I'd like to see some kind of fuse incorporated just in case the terminals or cable were to short out. I think I remember Funky mentioning it has some kind of short protection? Which might make my concerns unfounded. But still, the electrician in me likes fuses.

Tubo X.. It's all the function of the Tubo with a different form. I love the braided cable Funky sourced for it and the PA.. feels very robust. On the heater for the Tubo X funky added an extra tombstone shaped piece of wood so that the wire entry is covered; excellent touch. Love to see that air intake screen on the bottom too, necessary or not I think it looks great.

The only thing I dislike about the Tubo X is I think the cord could be a little longer; or rather I'd like a cord extender so I have the option to use as is or pass around. I think for a short cable the current length is perfect! Maneuvers easily onto your piece but won't flop around.. I just like options.

I was thinking a longer cable would be awesome for ice fishing! I'd keep the Cuboid in my jacket so it's all warm but pass this little powerhouse of a heater around. That'd be sick! :rockon:

Oh and the Tubo X makes my Tubo less special.. so there's that against it. Now anyone can enjoy the power of the Tubo from the comfort of their own box mod?! Outrageous!! :argh::myday:

So in summary Tubo PA = total win. I can't really imagine someone who uses their Tubo daily not wanting one! Not needing maybe, but gotta love those charge free back to back bowls!:nod:

Tubo X = Tubo, but a little different.. possibly better depending on your needs/mods. If you like one you'll like the other just depends on what style of device best suits your needs.

My only gripes about the Tubo X/PA are tiny nitpicks which in no way affect the usage. And the build is the typical mix of quality and "maker" ingenuity I've come to expect from @funkyjunky. Excellent work man!

Likun

So my tubo arrived today... While I wasn't at home. So I have to wait one more day to pick it up at the post office :cry:.
Fortunately the customs didn't keep it and I'll just have to pay the vat to DHL, so I got that going for me, which is nice.
Sorry for the OT, I'll post my impressions after I've tested the device :).

Edit: Can I use a Samsung 29E in my tubo? I'm a little bit afraid as it isn't listet @ tubo.lamart.ch. Unfortunately my ordered 30Q and VTC6 are delayed in delivery and the 29E is the only thing I got here atm.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Thanks man! I'm new to making videos, but it's a lot of fun!

I tried making a couple tonight. The first one is just me rambling about the Tubo PA and Tubo X side by side. Second video is some hits from the Tubo X + Cuboid 200W and the Tubo + PA.

Excuse my silly syntax at times; I had a few bowls getting the shots setup so I'm well under the effects of the Tubo by the time I was ready. Said the PA had an air filter when I really just meant intake/vent, forgot to mention that poplar wood can be coloured, said the "jaws" didn't line up when I meant the laser cut wood, etc.. Minor mistakes (that I noticed :lol:) but I didn't mean to be misleading!
Really need to get a camera so I can see wtf I'm doing.. There's a time where I hold up a black book I had trying to make the vapour more visible, total fail:doh::shrug:. Tried adding a black background and didn't seem to help; think I have too many lights. I can't seem to get a good place to show everything clearly and the vapour.

When I shot my GS vid I had a sunbeam coming in just perfect so it worked great. But sadly winter is coming and the sun abandons me :ugh:. Ah well, good enough for fun! I think it's pretty logical that milky glass = good clouds anyway.

Oh, I realize that after all that I didn't really give my opinion on the PA/Tubo X itself! :disgust::rolleyes:

The Power Adapter is simply amazing. @funkyjunky did an outstanding job constructing it and on the custom paint job I requested. The fact that it was damaged in transit should not be a knock against it IMO; to me that just means it can survive a lot of abuse and keep working.

Function wise the PA makes the already amazing Tubo even better.. Works the same, but no charging..I think that's pretty much all that needs to be said about that!

If I had any criticisms of the device it would be I'd like to see some kind of fuse incorporated just in case the terminals or cable were to short out. I think I remember Funky mentioning it has some kind of short protection? Which might make my concerns unfounded. But still, the electrician in me likes fuses.

Tubo X.. It's all the function of the Tubo with a different form. I love the braided cable Funky sourced for it and the PA.. feels very robust. On the heater for the Tubo X funky added an extra tombstone shaped piece of wood so that the wire entry is covered; excellent touch. Love to see that air intake screen on the bottom too, necessary or not I think it looks great.

The only thing I dislike about the Tubo X is I think the cord could be a little longer; or rather I'd like a cord extender so I have the option to use as is or pass around. I think for a short cable the current length is perfect! Maneuvers easily onto your piece but won't flop around.. I just like options.

I was thinking a longer cable would be awesome for ice fishing! I'd keep the Cuboid in my jacket so it's all warm but pass this little powerhouse of a heater around. That'd be sick! :rockon:

Oh and the Tubo X makes my Tubo less special.. so there's that against it. Now anyone can enjoy the power of the Tubo from the comfort of their own box mod?! Outrageous!! :argh::myday:

So in summary Tubo PA = total win. I can't really imagine someone who uses their Tubo daily not wanting one! Not needing maybe, but gotta love those charge free back to back bowls!:nod:

Tubo X = Tubo, but a little different.. possibly better depending on your needs/mods. If you like one you'll like the other just depends on what style of device best suits your needs.

My only gripes about the Tubo X/PA are tiny nitpicks which in no way affect the usage. And the build is the typical mix of quality and "maker" ingenuity I've come to expect from @funkyjunky. Excellent work man!

Fantastic videos @Prolusio , very informative and thorough. I really appreciate your perspective on this forum. I like Plini too :D

Top Bottom