• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Thanks @Abysmal Vapor ! I was very surprised about the fast shipping, I thought I’d be anxiously checking my mail for weeks.

The problem basket is actually too small for the cooler so it falls right out. Has anyone run into this problem and created a fix? Maybe I’ll try fitting a rimless basket over the rimmed and see if that tightens the connection. It’s probably easier just to find new ones.
Sry i mean if your cap is too small.Try pressing it a bit.. pushing the bottom of the cap up will result in increase in diameter ;) ,but yeah finding new ones aint hard :). (just look for arizer screens)

leveltree

never wanted to beat that one ;)
@kuzko welcome to the family and nice first impressions :)
I think it's better to use a really fitting screen in the cooler to prevent particles getting inside.
Mine has some still stuck in it which is no biggie but just doesn't look as good.
They don't always get out easily.
So it's a good thing you went for a safe solution there.

Shipping is crazy fast, I waited 2 weeks and it's just the next country. :D

Last edited:

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
If your cap is too big for the cooler stem just squish it a bit between your fingers ,pushing the bottom up.
Ah, my favorite Basket Screen Adjustment Technique!

AtH2ZXF.jpg

*** Gently squeeze! Small adjustments at a time only! (Once squished, cannot be unsquished!)

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
Hey, I've been holding back on my tubo family! Almost 3 months since I last posted on this thread, and there's good stuff going on almost every day. :) New firmwares updated and posted, and many new members of "team tubo" Welcome to all the new tubo owners and impatient, VAS-afflicted soon-to-be-tubo'ers. :D You will be happy. :nod:

IDK how many of these things @funkyjunky has made so far, and if anyone doesn't love their tubo, they sure don't seem to be complaining about it here. :shrug:But from only a couple of people I know of that apparently didn't like or quickly resold their tubos, I think the satisfaction rate is well above 90, 95% for the tubo line :tup:

Maybe FJ can tell me how many tubos he has created and sold if that's not top-secret info? (Don't worry I'm not the EU/US/Swiss tax man :uhoh: haha)

That "Great wall of tubos" is an impressive sight :o :bowdown: so much convection power stacked up together :evil:

hellohello,

all good in tuboland? :)

In short....

YESSSS!!!

I'm still using my tubo almost every day and loving it, my preferred, go-to vape when I want a flower session that's potent enough to command most, if not all of my attention. My old arizer EQ is nearly obsolete to me now, the tubo is more potent, has more airflow, is quicker to warmup, and can be picked up and walked around with (cut the cord)

I still use my volcano + solid valve when I want a more casual, lazy vape session. Fill up a bag, take a few puffs, do stuff, come back to finish the bag, re-fill, repeat. Not taking my continuous attention like the tubo + glass deserves.

When I want to walk around outside the house and vape, or "vape whilst driving" I still use my crafty, because I don't fear dropping and breaking the crafty the way I fear that with the tubo, made of wood and glass, and because the tubo is "less discrete" than a crafty, plus the tubo is so much more powerful, and almost requires glass + water for me to use, so I'm not huffing on a big hydratube in traffic :lol: (although some are known to do that)

The main reason I wanted to post today is to share my new glass setup with my tubo evic:
let me introduce,

the tubo tree (or the tree of tubo)

EV2ctX7.jpg

38fPP6W.jpg

It consists of: a dhgate hydratube stand, a custom 3-angle "carb adapter" and a 90* F/F adapter by @Oregonglassblower, a "sunshinestore" recycler hydratube, FJ's 18mm water tool adapter, some keck clips, @DDave rimless basket screen, and the original tubo evic, of course :cool:

gpslT7X.jpg

packing the basket screen is my preferred method of feeding flowers to my tubo.

TELLKVF.jpg

retro-sepia tubo! :o haha

IDK why, but sometimes when I take pics with the camera on my phone, the color balance goes way off and makes these weird pics. (not a filter, not edited :mental:) tubo-delic?

5MgQc8a.jpg

UdSyqrc.jpg

A casual early-evening tubo session in the backyard, while my scraggly, traumatized parsley plant looks on approvingly in the background :spliff: :leaf: Tubos are great for vaping and walking around without the cord. In pre-tubo times, I would occasionally run an extension cord for the arizer EQ outside, but that seems so unnecessary now :\

And just for context, this is how I was using the tubo with the hydratube stand earlier:

jcoxBx6.jpg

This worked ok, but to "carb" the glass rig, and clear it out in between puffs, I had to remove the glass elbow on the tubo, or remove the silicon tube from the carb adapter. I added an extra 18mm M/F adapter to the end of the silicon tube to make carbing easier, but it was still not an easy, reliable motion. Now with that 90* bent F/F adapter, it is easy and natural to empty the hydratube of vapor and inhale the complete puff before starting the next, which is more satisfying and makes for a more steady convection vapor stream. :tup:

Also got some new elbow adapters for using the tubo with my more conventional rigs. Just a nicer, more sturdy adapter than I was using before.

sV0fI78.jpg

Ktrde8d.jpg

Not great focus on the pic, but you get the idea. To "carb" the glass rig here, the small 14mm slot gets a little sticky and resists being lifted up easily. I already changed this setup to put a 18mm M/F adapter underneath the other elbow, directly into the tubo, to make carbing easier.

These are the 2 main methods I use the tubo, but there are so many ways to use it, your imagination is the only limitation really. Comparing the 2 ways, my new "tree of tubo" is more fun to use, perhaps, and "feels better" in the tactile sense. It's fun and easy to use, carry around, etc. Compared to my little imitation klein recycler rig with the smaller, limited 14mm input, however, the little recycler seems to puff harder and smoother, even with the smaller input. :shrug:One is more mobile and fun to hold and touch, the other pulls more vapor and is similarly a joy to use and carb, it's tough to decide which to use for each session :D

Now...to be fair, and keep it 100%, there's only one main part about the tubo I don't really like, it's how the glass / steel heater and bowl section of the tubo is a sealed unit, which cannot easily be emptied of little flowery bits that inevitably fall past and around the screen? :(

MduvXQd.jpg

Since I've found out it's ok to carefully remove the screen by picking at the edge with a metal tool, I make a habit to clean out the old material that falls inside every few weeks or so. This takes several dozen sessions or so to accumulate like this. If you do this, be very careful to not touch the metal heater wires, and be gentle (better yet, avoid touching) on the glass tubes while cleaning. Use the proper skinny tools? Since I will be using my tubo upside-down more now, inverted, with my new "tree of tubo", this stuff will build up less quickly. But this is still necessary, periodic tubo maintenance....but speaking of inverted...

Wow that 2 tone might be the best looking yet in my opinion! Great work @funkyjunky

I somehow overlooked that 2-tone tubo...nice :cool: I'm wondering what you're waiting for and why you haven't grabbed one of these yet? I see you've picked up a flowerpot, which seems like a very potent, capable system. But from what I can tell, the tubo can come close, if not rival, the flowerpot, all in a much smaller package, and with a battery! Why don't you join us and cut the cord?

Could be a good compliment to the flowerpot? Not too many people have both of those vapes? I think muunch does, is it ok to compare here? (other thread?)

Hey guys, i was just wondering how much does your BOARD temp raises within one or two session ?
This can be monitored by entering edit mode (3 clicks on mine) and changing the line under the resistance to BOARD.

I do notice the draw sensor helps a lot with the "device too hot" msg, which was my one glaring issue. And for the sake of clarity, this would only happen on my SECOND full, joint-packed stem with NO breaks in between. 5 min, cruise to cruise, .25gram full joint-packs. The device does not overheat trying to do a .1g or .2g cruise in 5minutes.

I did not check how hot it gets after only a couple of minutes, but after my typical session of several bowls in the course of an hour or so, maybe 3 or 4 1/8 of a gram-sized elbow packs in 40-50 minutes or so?

The highest I've seen the board read is 134*F, just short of the 70*C cutoff? My tubo has never given me the "device too hot" message. Perhaps because I take short breaks, mid-cruise, between big puffs to catch my breath and hydrate, and to enjoy those clouds and let it all soak in, and with moderate temps around 380F, that helps my tubo never reach that critical heat point?

Be careful with OEM stems cause i have one which is a bit longer than usual ,and it kind of meets the tubes before it locks on the joint. If pushed further that would result in breakage . I advise everyone to get FJ bowls too,cause they are also polished on the bowl side, which makes the Tubo easier to remove without unplugging the whole gong.

FYI, there are two kinds of tapered male glass joints for 14 & 18mm size...full length and short length tapered male joints. The space in the tubo's female joint between the 18mm glass and the heaters / screen on the bottom is too small and tight, so a full-length tapered male 18mm joint won't fit in all the way in there, and will contact / grind the bottom. So let's only use those short 18mm males in our tubo's. If you ask your glassblower, they can make custom adapters and stems with short or long tapers to your request ;)

Haha i tried to see how many watts can i make it draw.. My record is 222w and i dont think i could have inhaled any harder, i even had to empty my WP cause with it i had it at 160w max.

:o Whoa! That's some serious huffing! :D The most wattage I've ever made my tubo pull during use, (not initial warm-up) that I've seen, is about 40-50w, through water (which dampens the airflow) but 160, 220w on the tubo-x...damn :ko: :science:

Last edited:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Great post @Vape Donkey 650

comparing the Tubo to FP is comparing a dog to a horse or something - apples and oranges doesn't suffice! ...but i'm really baked and you asked so I'm going to do it anyway

If the tubo had unlimited battery power and didn't give the "too hot" msg with constant use, I'd say it's pretty close to a hotter/harsher/more flavorful version of the OG FP at least as far as flower goes. definitely not nearly as powerful - not even close. but it ends up working pretty similarly imo... and the tubo CAN pump out the power. Not smashing .1g in one hit here... but it's a portable, not a desktop - hence the comparison is hard.

That's where the tubo shines; with it's customization of cruise... choice of cruise/session or on demand... of course you can essentially do the same in the FP, but again... portables/desktop...

The maintenance and use of the devices is completely different but the airflow and vapor quality is pretty similar. The tubo has less airflow and worse vapor quality obviously, but it's still very good. And I find the tubo to have better flavor. Of course that is likely because I only use the FP through water but anyway, this post is too silly for me to keep going! @Prolusio also has the OG FP and tubo! Please share your opinions if you have them man!

They're great companions. My #1 desktop and #1 portable for sure - If I had only these two, I would be a very satisfied muunch

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Just wanted to update you ,that the battery issue was fixed by FJ ! This guy with his numerous talents is kind of like the "Da Vinci" of vaporizer world..,not only he produces top quality and thoughtfully designed hardware with great aesthetic value ,but also digs software and coding and when you think it cannot get better he comes up with more extras and those are just his side work/hobbies.. I doubt i've received any better customer service from anyone ever.., managed to fix a model specific software issue which was present even in the stock software,and many others were complaining about(on e-cig forums), in less than 24 hours.. (and some guys are waiting months for whole teams to do software fixes on some other models ,which vape uneven for twice the price :lol:).
Now everything is perfect! Giga clouds, endless battery life ,after 4 full bowl sessions and 2 caps = 66% left) .This was my first session since 15 days and sadly will be the last for a month ahead,cause i have to undergo a dental surgery on Monday and i gotta take it easy on my gums for 2-4 weeks.. :)). I am glad that at least it wont collect dust ,cause there is another person with me who can use it and i can adore the beauty of its operation and aromatherapy ,and also will have fun hanging around in this great thread filled with awesome dudes ! Cheers !
P.S Some hardware issues with the camera but i will try to shoot a sesh one of these days when i am feeling better,hopefully somewhere next week ! :))
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
@DDave *** Gently squeeze! Small adjustments at a time only! (Once squished, cannot be unsquished!)
It actually can, i push from the other side with 12mm glass tube or the tip of a 14mm gong. I know that cause i've pancaked two of mine by stepping over them..
---------------------------------------
@Vape Donkey 650 Great pics and thoughts man, i have no doubts you love the tubo like any other true connoisseur does !
----------------------------------------------
@leveltree Haha in my country people would say for @kuzko that he must be having occasional dinners with God.(like best buddies do, i hope not all gets lost in translation) or that he has married the Postal Chiefs daughter.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forgot to mention that no matter how much i pull with the TUBOx i never get device too hot.
The wismec is quite heavy with the 4 batteries and probably gives far better heat sink on the chip than the EVIC VTC mini + no radiation from the heater.. Boardtemps range from 30C to 50C C depending on the environmental temp,after back to back sessions... lol Batteries also dont get hot at all compared to what happens in the VTC mini,probably cause the powerdraw is evenly distribute to the 4 cells.
I am pretty sure that it wont get ""device too hot"" even if i hook the vacuum cleaner while it is set at 260 C ,

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Since I will be using my tubo upside-down more now, inverted, with my new "tree of tubo", this stuff will build up less quickly. But this is still necessary, periodic tubo maintenance....but speaking of inverted...

I somehow overlooked that 2-tone tubo...nice :cool: I'm wondering what you're waiting for and why you haven't grabbed one of these yet? I see you've picked up a flowerpot, which seems like a very potent, capable system. But from what I can tell, the tubo can come close, if not rival, the flowerpot, all in a much smaller package, and with a battery! Why don't you join us and cut the cord?

Could be a good compliment to the flowerpot? Not too many people have both of those vapes? I think muunch does, is it ok to compare here? (other thread?)

Good seeing you around Donkey, this is a great thread. :D

I'm pretty sure Tubo would be a great compliment to the Flowerpot, I was debating between the two for a while. I'm actually hoping to pick up a Tubo eventually, as the FP has made all my other vapes obsolete! My number one reservation for the FP was the cord, but it's also what sold me! Nice not having to tend to any batteries or butane for a bit, but for those times I could totally see a Tubo!

sticky555

Wow this vape is amazing I don't know about dry hitting it but I was hitting it like a mighty on cruise mode and just about exploded my lungs in one long hit. Thing has insanely crazy vapor didn't feel that harsh or hot by my mouth (call me crazy but I get this heat around my lips/tongue when using a sticky brick) but I don't think my throat was to happy. I've just bought like 3 vapes recently and this is probably the best I've tried so far out of all of the ones I have of course all of them serve their purposes. I can see why most of you use it out of water piece though.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Depth of discharge has less impact than state of charge. Better to remove them from the charger before they are full. I tend to stop at 4.10V when I can. Do not store them *long term* fully charged, it's bad too.

I tend to discharge down very low as I favor capacity over cycle count (it's more convenient for me to buy a few cells every year and have more sessions with my devices than to carry a lot of cells every day with me just to preserve them a little more... as they will age no matter what you do anyway and they are cheap)

Last edited:

leveltree

I change them before a new session when indicating less than a third and they are around 3.6V mostly.
I feel it's when they start to loose power and also it's an very unproblematic discharge.
I tend to store a few of them fully charged but charge what's empty before I want to use them. It's probably not as good as storing in "storage voltage" (~2/3) but results have been mixed in RC hobbies and in my opinion the benefits are too small to justify having low stored batteries if you need them spontaneously.
It's an often discussed matter but generally you shouldn't discharge below 3.3 or charge to more than 4.2, because that's really "harmful".
Also operating under high heat or cold is not too good for them and draining more amps than specified can shorten the batterie's life alot.

Opinions and experiences vary though... ;)

leveltree

Don't get me wrong @KeroZen, I'm glad you posted info from a reliable source like batteryuniversity, it's just that I'm sceptical to those hardcore storage proclaimers, charging and discharging their batteries all the time for a small amount of longer lifetime. ;)
I have read a lot of discussions on this subject so it seems on a lot of details there are different opinions coming from different experiences :)

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@leveltree: right. I tend to care a bit more for my (relatively) expensive R/C batteries as I can really experience the degradation first-hand. For 18650's under $5 a pop, I do the bare minimum. In fact I only just try to remove them before full-charge (around 4.10V) and only when I don't forget.

Otherwise I drain them down to 3.4V and sometimes even less, maybe 3.3V or more rarely 3.2V (depending on how low the device cuts off, if ever it does cut-off at all... my Zion was a battery-vore for instance as the regulation masked the low voltage pretty well... but since I have a PA it's a thing of the past)

For those of you using the Tubo at home, I really invite you to consider getting a PA, it's a must really.

EDIT: I'm able to cut so low because I vape at relatively low power only, if you use your Tubo at or over 70W you should probably cut sooner due to the higher sag under load.

Last edited:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Not sure - I was just teasing. I haven't bugged him for quite some time.

I hope to grab one of the waterpipe bases he makes when he opens up the shop, and would love a PA if one would be offered!

Otherwise, I donno. I don't conspire with anyone lol, I am strictly a consumer I guess.

Gray Area

Did @funkyjunky ditch the PA project?

I dunno either. I was just looking at it yesterday (page 19) and thinking of PM'ing him, as I could REALLY do with one now I'm using it almost exclusively.
But then I know he seems pretty busy with the Tubo orders... and quite frankly I'd prefer him to spend any "extra" time on the dual battery option (coughs again, but louder this time :D @funkyjunky ).

I read your Zion PA thread in the diy section and know @Abysmal Vapor has one he put together, so I'm thinking I should just do one myself tbh.

I can get a spare battery door online for the evic mini, so would need the dummy battery and power supply. Suitable just to copy your tutorial, or would I need to consider anything different?? Pointers would be appreciated :tup:

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
The major difference is that the evic VTC mini works with a single cell. I think the firmware would bad-trip if you feed it with 5V... So the hardest part would be to source a PSU with 4V output or thereabout. With some chance you could find a 5V one that has slightly adjustable output that could go down to 4.2V? Or one of these fully configurable "universal" power supplies (but those for laptops usually have a high voltage as those are 3SxP or even 4SxP)

You would also need quite some amps, I think 20A at least but 30A would be even safer...

Then building the fake 18650, that would require a different 3D printed part or something equivalent. Maybe have a look on thingiverse etc to see if someone already posted some models?

EDIT: 3rd "4.2V power supply" google hit for me would do the trick, albeit overkill and somewhat pricey >> https://www.jameco.com/z/NEL-400-4-...put-AC-DC-Switching-Power-Supply_2221624.html

EDIT2: or well nevermind, it's not for 110V so I guess it's out for you...

Prolusio

Did @funkyjunky ditch the PA project?

Nope, still going! Mine is on the way right now. Funky is offering a pretty sweet bundle, IMO.. Comparable to buying the components and assembling it myself. Especially if I factor in my time and all the time @funkyjunky spent colouring it. (which there was no way I was going to get around to).

So the hardest part would be to source a PSU with 4V output or thereabout.

I believe the one @funkyjunky is using in the kit he provides is the RSP-200-4. I did not have much trouble finding a power supply locally, the issue for me was the battery adapter like you said.. It was going to be more time than it was worth to 3d print one, especially if I wanted it to match the Tubo aesthetics. Much easier to get a nice painted one from Funky with the coloured cord and wooden parts. I think he prices stuff really reasonably.. just that gosh darn shipping :o:(

@Prolusio also has the OG FP and tubo! Please share your opinions if you have them man!

Sorry buddy, busy weekend! I hoped my PA would arrive so I could comment on that but postal gods were not kind. I think you nailed the comparison pretty well though

comparing the Tubo to FP is comparing a dog to a horse or something - apples and oranges doesn't suffice!

I'd say it's pretty close to a hotter/harsher/more flavorful version of the OG FP at least as far as flower goes. definitely not nearly as powerful - not even close. but it ends up working pretty similarly imo...

Pretty spot on I think! Differences in device design aside if we're going for a straight hit comparison the FP and Tubo are both top tier devices and perform as such. I find it really hard to imagine a vaporist disliking what either device has to offer; and it's possible to dial each in to perform well where the other device shines by default. (purely flower)

I typically use both the Tubo and FP (OG 16mm SIC, using my Omron) through water so I do not really notice any harshness from either device.

With it's nearly total convection and the separation of heat source from herb I think the Tubo really shines in the flavour department; it's effortless to get tasty hits no matter how high you crank the temp.

The way the FP totally surrounds your herb does seem to rob a little bit of the flavour at ~ similar temps IMO. But it's totally possible to get awesome taste by dialing down the temps a bit and hitting the FP as soon as you put the head on the body. I find letting it sit there and heat soak seems to add some more conduction/harshness to the hit; but it also thoroughly cooks the bowl without really needing to stir so :shrug: .

The tubo has less airflow and worse vapor quality obviously, but it's still very good. And I find the tubo to have better flavor.

Personally I find the airflow pretty similar! They're both wide open as far as I'm concerned. Except I do use the FP with the cap mostly, for that milky goodness, so that restricts it some.. But regardless if a person finds either the Tubo or FP too restrictive then I honestly am not sure what vape would be ideal for them.

I would agree the Tubo vapour quality is slightly below the FP, but I think it depends on what you prioritize.. Flavour chasers would prefer the Tubo I think, and those who want to white wall their piece with ease would prefer the FP.. But really both devices perform excellent in either category once you learn how to use them fully.

I feel super lucky to be vaping at a time when this level of performance is becoming almost common or expected (sometimes demanded :lol:). I find more and more the differences between my favorite devices, as far as pure vapour and getting high are concerned; are little nitpicks/nuances that I struggle to come up with and don't really matter.

I've come full circle.. once the design didn't matter to me as long as it worked. But now.. so many things work so well! Now I want an excellent design AND awesome performance. I've been spoiled by my Tubo :luv:.

To sum up my ramblings in my mind the difference between the Tubo and FP are like the difference between 2 good hammers.. both of them are gonna drive that nail; it's just a matter of which one has the right balance for your hand. If I was cursed to only have one vape for the rest of my life I'd be happy with either device. And once my PA arrives my Tubo will be shackled no more by the constraints/lifespan of a single cell! That's the Tubo for you, gets better every week.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
After a quick search it appears the 5V LED drivers are not suitable as they only have +/10% output voltage adjustment.

But I stumbled on a cheaper alternative >> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/rat...12cm-fan-220v-with-6pin-8pin/32788733562.html

...using a PC power supply! This one for instance claims 28A on the 3.3V rail and that could do the trick (@funkyjunky will have to do the math and confirm, also it might force the evic into boost mode maybe in which case it would heat more due to the lower efficiency compared to buck mode?)

There are some subtleties to make PC PSUs work without a motherboard connected though (some need a dummy load and most need at least a way to exit standby mode) but nothing hard really and there are plenty of youtube tutorials for that.

For the fake 18650 if you find the right 3DP model there are many on demand printing services that would make the part and ship it to you for a reasonable fee. Of course getting the "real deal" from FJ is even better and would support his business...

Top Bottom