vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
I got 4 Hg2s that I share with multiple vapes. Whenever I need a fresh one for the tubo, it's just a matter of 5 seconds (not even?) and I'm back in the game. My battery life depends on my usage pattern, but I don't feel it's terrible. If you have a spare battery loaded, it's a non-issue. If it wasn't replaceable THAT would suck, so I'm all good and it vapes heavenly :luv:

Have a nice Sunday everyone!

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Oh, also I just meant I don't "milk" my waterpipe with the tubo. I get massive clouds on the exhale, just none that builds up in the chamber of the pipe due to the lack of draw resistance.

I really can't wait to try some concentrates in this thing...

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Oh, also I just meant I don't "milk" my waterpipe with the tubo. I get massive clouds on the exhale, just none that builds up in the chamber of the pipe due to the lack of draw resistance.

At what temps are you vaping ? I am getting really think vapor in my waterpipe . When i am loading the whole bowl i vape at 215 C and i get nice brownie color,but when i am using the basket method ,i dont get over 200 Cand i get visible vapor even at 190 C.
My stock Samsung 30q ,i believe it was purchased from fasttech,a friend of mine who is into the e-cig business said that he had crappy batteries mixed along with the good batches bough from there. funkyjunky offered me a refund ,but i can't really take it cause he cant be really blamed for that , having also in mind that he sold it really close to what is worth on fasttech excl the two month wait .
My Efest that was purchased locally is tons better,it doesnt gets more than 35C when charging compared to 50C with the 30Q . I also get vapor faster, i dont know if the bigger pulse discharge is related to that,or the mAh ,but it even lets me drain it furter down before showing that battery is too low .. I can drain this one till 17% before i start to get this message. I am quite sure that there are even better batteries than what i got.. so i guess ,so i guess that is the the key to better vaporizing experience.
--------
On the concentrate subject, i can only share my experience using herb along with hash,it is great for sharing with friends,clouds are lungbursting and endless. I load herb straight into the bowl,then i put the cap over and fill it with some hash rolls ,few times after removing the tubo from the bowl , i could see rosin like substance dripping down on the herb.. :drool:

Last edited:

vapen00b

At what temps are you vaping ? I am getting really think vapor in my WP . When i am loading the whole bowl i vape at 215 C and i get nice brownie color,but when i am using the basket method ,i dont get over 200 Cand i get visible vapor even at 190 C.
My stock Samsung 30q ,i believe it was purchased from fasttech,a friend of mine who is into the e-cig business said that he had crappy batteries mixed along with the good batches bough from there. funkyjunky offered me a refund ,but i can't really take it cause he cant be really blamed for that , having also in mind that he sold it really close to what is worth on fasttech excl the two month wait .
My Efest that was purchased locally is tons better,it doesnt gets more than 35C when charging compared to 50C with the 30Q . I also get vapor faster, i dont know if the bigger pulse discharge is related to that,or the mAh ,but it even lets me drain it furter down before showing that battery is too low .. I can drain this one till 17% before i start to get this message. I am quite sure that there are even better batteries than what i got.. so i guess ,so i guess that is the the key to better vaporizing experience.
--------
On the concentrate subject, i can only share my experience using herb along with hash,it is great for sharing with friends,clouds are lungbursting and endless. I load herb straight into the bowl,then i put the cap over and fill it with some hash rolls ,few times after removing the tubo from the bowl , i could see rosin like substance dripping down on the herb.. :drool:

Nice idea! I assume you use the tubo thru a bubbler - basically upside down? (Otherwise it would drip onto the heater?)

Thanks for the 17% reference - have to compare it with my batts... Have a feeling mine start to trigger that weak battery message way earlier... Would be interesting to gather this info from some more owners.

Abysmal Vapor

Nice idea! I assume you use the tubo thru a bubbler - basically upside down? (Otherwise it would drip onto the heater?)

Thanks for the 17% reference - have to compare it with my batts... Have a feeling mine start to trigger that weak battery message way earlier... Would be interesting to gather this info from some more owners.
My Samsung 30q says weak battery below 38%,but as mentioned there is smth wrong with mine.
Yes you have assumed correctly about upside down usage. (WP = Waterpipe ,i edited my previous post already to avoid confusion).

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Hey,

I also get the "weak battery" pretty early on one of mine. Will have to check which it is... I assumed I just had the temp set higher than the battery was capable of providing with what life it had left, didn't know it was a sorta malfunction...

Also, I've never vaped a fresh bowl through water with my tubo which is maybe why I don't get the visible vapor in the pipe. I get no irritation from the bent stem or the DDave cooler, so I honestly just use those and only bother with water when I want rly high temps for sleep, so I'm often putting a bowl that's probably 70%+ done in. I would never use water if I didn't have to, I like flavor too much but sometimes it's necessary due to possible irritation.

I'll try a fresh bowl for science :worms::science:

Last edited:

RelaxedNow

Can someone explain to me why seeing large clouds of vapor is so important if it is as it is often effective without them?

I wouldn't presume to speak for others, but although I can enjoy a vape without clouds, I find clouds in and of themselves to be enjoyable also. I dunno, it's the feel, the flavor, something psychological maybe.

But I also love a good cigar, so that may provide some explanation.

funkyjunky

www.lamart.ch
Manufacturer
@mistvaporizer, the problem is inconsistent. In fact, I'm happy to say mine is working just fine today, after struggling with it the past couple of days. Today, I've used it 3 times, taking 2-4 draws each time, and also cycled it several times without drawing so as to observe the screen closely. Even though the battery is getting weak, the Tubo is keeping up very well.

Documenting the failures may require me to go beyond my capabilities while high. j/k :rofl:....... Actually, if you can tell me what you'd like to track, I'd be happy to give it a try.
hehe, i am hoping someone can give a recipe to generate this failure. like, do this before this followed by this and you get the improper heating issue. with info like this i can track it down better in the code. unfortunately if the behavior changes it doesnt help much, i am interested in a repeatable procedure to get this issue.

First impression.........I love it. Excellent results on first attempt, big clouds, excellent taste and multiple hits........

Battery life is non-existent, so I am glad I have a decent arsenal of them.

Really impressed with the craftsmanship as well. I opted for plain beech, and I think it is beautiful.
Feels quite solid in the hand. The screen in my female joint is off a bit, and hard to get to for any adjustment, but do not think it will pose any issues. Some fine particles could get through if they make it out of the bowl.

Excellent in every way. My hat is off to you, @funkyjunky, this is very well done indeed.
thanks, happy you received yours and were able to get it working right away. how is the screen off? can you make a pic and send it to me or post it here? other than preventing bits to fall into the sides of the heater its mainly there to prevent bits from going into the three tubes, so as long as that is covered it should not pose a problem, maybe using the baskets as a cap to keep the heater clean.

I tried as you suggested @KeroZen and my Tubo is not able to maintain temp after lowering the watts, fresh battery. It'll heat up but it can't sustain under use like it used to. I'm not sure it's necessary to adjust the watts; my tubo never outputs 70w or over 20A even during cold start/heavy draws. The max I've seen briefly is ~50-60w @240, and that drops off very quickly. Typically my Tubo reads 14-17A at the high end.
that is also my finding. in fact i am pretty sure the mod/firmware limits current to 17.1A, i have not seen values over that with the 30Q set as battery (preset for all units). and when the battery is not able to supply the 17A anymore it displays weak battery and watts go down to ~60W at max.

Heh I knew what your answer would be! :p In fact we already had that discussion...

But you gotta admit that one bowl out of a single 25R is terrible. I get 3 with that same cell in my Milaana which is quite the power hog. And even more with the Project.
yeah, you had to... again ;)
1 bowl of a 25R battery seems very low. my estimation would be a solid 2 bowls for a 25R (2600mAh) and 2.5-3 bowls per 30Q,HG2,VTC6 (3000mAh).
if one is doing bowls back to back and taking advantage of the tubo heater preserving the heat for a while it will use less energy in total than if it can cool down in between hits for example and needs to heat up everything again.

I edited my post above, most of my batteries are Sony VTC5 with low usage. They are working fairly well, but still only manage about 2 bowls max it seems.
that sounds more in line with what id expect a 25R to perform as well.

Can confirm battery life is pretty poor (1 or 2 bowls at absolute Max) but like I said, I have a bunch and don't really care as the results are worth it. I get absolutely baked from a few hits even at low temps. I really dunno what it is. Maybe some psychological honeymoon but that sounds like a load of a shit...

That said, if I were attempting to use this as a "true" and/or my only portable it'd definitely be an issue without a cache of batteries.

Also will note that even passthrough charging causes me to lose battery (albeit at a slightly reduced rate - also only tried my PC so far as a power supply...) So even as a "desktop" batteries COULD be an issue if you have a massive tolerance or just like to puff away like me.

However I can totally make my Milaana last "only" one bowl on a battery if I try and really extract every last bit that's in there... And I feel like the temp stepping I do with this thing is kinda equivalent but less work with the Tubo :tup:

edit: I have 4 hg2s, a vtc5 and a 30q so all good here. tubo for days
the energy supplied by usb will not be enough to power the tubo or a similar devices right away. it will charge its battery and drain from there, recharging inbetween hits.
i am currently working on a power adapter, its going to be on the bigger. no more batteries, no more weak battery. tubo for infinity (@home)

try preheating it for 20+seconds at max setting, then back to about 440F. you should definitely see vapor building up in your piece.

At what temps are you vaping ? I am getting really think vapor in my waterpipe . When i am loading the whole bowl i vape at 215 C and i get nice brownie color,but when i am using the basket method ,i dont get over 200 Cand i get visible vapor even at 190 C.
--------
yep your samsung was purchased from fasttech and seems like its a bad one. i have received multiples that work without a problem and do perform. your EFEST seems like it does what the 30Q is supposed to do.
i am sorry if i sent out batteries from a weak batch, please tell me, so i can refund and you buy yourselves a proper one.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@funkyjunky : what about creating a second stock profile with lower power?

You could have the current 70W profile for those wanting ultimate power (ex: large water pipes users, guys with iron lungs like @stickstones etc) and that would be the default.

And add a second profile tuned around 40W - 50W maybe, that wouldn't cope that well with fast draws (would be more for dry hit usage, sippers like me etc) but would offer an increased battery life.

The software already allows it easily, but can your heater operate at 40W? I'd think so, seeing the Milaana is about 40W when fresh and already deemed quite the power monster, and I operate my various 510 attys in that range. Just need a tad more preheating and be more gentle on the draws.

funkyjunky

www.lamart.ch
Manufacturer
in my opinion the whole point about temperature controlled mods is about achieving the desired temperature almost immediately and holding it stable.

by reducing the maximum power you limit the first ability making it very similar to just voltage/wattage control.
the pid takes what it needs and quickly lowers output power. if you take slow draws at low draw rate the heater is at 70 watts for only an instant and settles maybe at 35w average.
i think the same is true for the project, its unnecessary to limit power even more than here since the heater is so quickly up to temp. do you think the battery life would really expand noticeably by using less energy for longer? :)

the heater can operate at 40w, maybe not for high temps and certainly not with high draw rate. the profile option is not a bad idea but overcomplicating things imo. i mean everyone is free to do whatever to his tubo firmware once it arrives. profiles with 40w, stock firmware, artic fox, rewrite the whole thing (please share). :)

in case, you could always revert back to the tubo firmware, which i gladly supply, with the recommended (by me) preset values.

RelaxedNow

As mentioned, I was getting a fair number of errors with my 25R's, and the battery life was very poor. I received a 30Q and a HG2 on Saturday, and have gotten better results with them.

I had no wattage limitation errors with the HG2 and only one with the 30Q, and completed two stems with each. Both batteries still had life remaining, but I didn't see how much farther they'd go, as I didn't think they'd likely finish another stem.

I'd been using the 25R's for a while with another vaporizer, so perhaps they weren't up to par. I've not tried NEW 25R's with the Tubo, but if the HG2 continues to perform well, I'll be buying more of the latter. It was nice to have no errors!

BTW, I have no interest in lower wattage settings. For me, lower wattage would also have to be accompanied by new heater tech that provides the same control, as I don't want to give up a thing.

Last edited:

justvapin

Enthusiastic Cannabis Consumer
@funkyjunky, the screen is very slighty folded over on one very small part of an edge which will allow small particles thru if they should get there. It is of NO CONCERN at all. I do cap my baskets anyway, so I don't see it ever being an issue.

little maggie

Are you talking about a power adaptor to provide a choice of portable or plug-in or to use without batteries?
I have way more great plug-in vapes than portable ones. I've given away the majority of portable vapes I buy. I don't see turning this into a plug-in as progress. With a battery charger so batteries can be replaced as soon as needed the tubo is one of the best portable vapes I've tried. (And I have a huge list of ex portables)

Abysmal Vapor

Are you talking about a power adaptor to provide a choice of portable or plug-in or to use without batteries?
I have way more great plug-in vapes than portable ones. I've given away the majority of portable vapes I buy. I don't see turning this into a plug-in as progress. With a battery charger so batteries can be replaced as soon as needed the tubo is one of the best portable vapes I've tried. (And I have a huge list of ex portables)
:D I see it as a huge progress. Imagine that power adaptor plugged into a huge 50000 MAh power bank (equals 20 batts x 2500 MAH) ,there are some models with build in solar panel for 10-20$ on DHgate ,amazon etc..,you can easily go camping with one :p.
---------------------------------------------
I am getting this hot spot when using the cap method.Looks like ying and yang.. 50% of my bowl is darker than the other half. I have found a way to avoid this, by slowly rotating the Tubo during inhalation around the bowl when i use on my bong.

Last edited:

funkyjunky

www.lamart.ch
Manufacturer
what i am currently building will not be portable. it needs to be plugged into the wall and its quite big. its a solution for at home. has a plug that fits into the battery door of the tubo and replaces a battery. id say its then similar in its function to a log style vape but on demand. together with the no-button-press update (soonish my friends) its going to be great for extended sessions :)

what you imagine @Abysmal Vapor is a bit different but a great idea. i quickly checked the possibilities and this is going to be my next accessory project. maybe a 7 cell pack (:mental:) with recharging function, not sure yet.

vapen00b

:D I see it as a huge progress. Imagine that power adaptor plugged into a huge 50000 MAh power bank (equals 20 batts x 2500 MAH) ,there are some models with build in solar panel for 10-20$ on DHgate ,amazon etc..,you can easily go camping with one :p.
---------------------------------------------
I am getting this hot spot when using the cap method.Looks like ying and yang.. 50% of my bowl is darker than the other half. I have found a way to avoid this, by slowly rotating the Tubo during inhalation around the bowl when i use on my bong.

Try using a basket screen (w/o rim - like the RBT ones) and shove it up in the stem just a few millimeters... That should help too. Otherwise try to slow down the draw just a bit.
I'm constantly playing and changing setups and haven't had hotspots yet. But the aforementioned methods do help me with other vapes.

Enjoy! :)

Abysmal Vapor

Try using a basket screen (w/o rim - like the RBT ones) and shove it up in the stem just a few millimeters... That should help too. Otherwise try to slow down the draw just a bit.
I'm constantly playing and changing setups and haven't had hotspots yet. But the aforementioned methods do help me with other vapes.

Enjoy! :)
Thx for the tip,wish i had those baskets:)),anyway as mentioned i have found my way around it. The issue is happening cause i load the basket at its maximum and it is really pretty close to the heater, so thats why i am gettin that hot half :D.. Rotating the tubo around the bowl aids to more even extraction and also faster ,i manage to finish a cap bowl in 3-4 inhalations from cold at 205 C and you don't need to stir :sherlock:

Last edited:

vapen00b

Where you're from? I think there's a good chance to get some of the cheaper basket screens (they do the job but are not that sturdy) off of eBay.

Weew, a whole bowl in 3-4 draws @205C while heating up is def impressive. Shows the beastly power!:brow::ko:
What's your coil setting? Did you change it?

Will put the 25 second firmware on mine later today I guess.. @funkyjunky Haven't made it yet - but wanna say thanks!!:tup:

Rock on people:rockon:

Last edited:

justvapin

Enthusiastic Cannabis Consumer
Last night I put in a freshly charged VTC5, and push the button for a preheat. Normal heating. Let go and
press again, locks into 200 degrees and wont give more than 2-3 watts of power. Did try to power off and back on, same thing. Pulled battery and put back in, and it heated again.....once. Then locked up again.
Pulled battery again and replace......no luck this time. Still won't heat past 200. WTF?. This repeated itself over and over. WTH? Is my TUBO going on the fritz?

So I pull another fully charged VTC5, and presto----not one single issue. Normal heating on every button press. Could not get this one to replicate the issue.

So I put the first battery back in, and it did it again. It seems is an issue relating to the batteries and what they are outputting. I also get this issue when I use the battery I got from @funkyjunky (30Q). My guess is this is some type of failsafe or safety programmed in that detects an issue with the battery and then won't give full power. Once it detects whatever it is looking for, it will not fully heat until it is reset. Perhaps this is a good thing.

By the way, that battery works fine in my Milaana, and charges normally on my Nitecore. But the Tubo doesn't like it.

I will have to test all of my batteries now. But don't feel sorry for me, I will get through it somehow:science:

RelaxedNow

Last night I put in a freshly charged VTC5, and push the button for a preheat. Normal heating. Let go and
press again, locks into 200 degrees and wont give more than 2-3 watts of power. Did try to power off and back on, same thing. Pulled battery and put back in, and it heated again.....once. Then locked up again.
Pulled battery again and replace......no luck this time. Still won't heat past 200. WTF?. This repeated itself over and over. WTH? Is my TUBO going on the fritz?

So I pull another fully charged VTC5, and presto----not one single issue. Normal heating on every button press. Could not get this one to replicate the issue.

So I put the first battery back in, and it did it again. It seems is an issue relating to the batteries and what they are outputting. I also get this issue when I use the battery I got from @funkyjunky (30Q). My guess is this is some type of failsafe or safety programmed in that detects an issue with the battery and then won't give full power. Once it detects whatever it is looking for, it will not fully heat until it is reset. Perhaps this is a good thing.

By the way, that battery works fine in my Milaana, and charges normally on my Nitecore. But the Tubo doesn't like it.

I will have to test all of my batteries now. But don't feel sorry for me, I will get through it somehow:science:

I've been experiencing similar anomalies. The thing is that it will behave in this manner with any of 25R, 30Q or HG2. Then, next time I try with a previously faulty battery, after having used another, it will work just fine....or not.

I'm thinking it's likely a firmware bug, so maybe changing something in the settings will overcome it. So, last night when it failed with a HG2, I tried changing resistance, with no improvement. I then changed the wattage to 69w. It worked for several short sessions, but I haven't tried it yet this morning. Problem is that a brief attempt doesnt prove anything with an intermittent fault, so take it FWIW.

On a similar note, my lone 30Q faulted a few days ago, couldn't get it working at all. I put it back in a day later and it worked fine until the charge was depleted. That's when I put in the HG2, which initially failed (previous use of the HG2 was faultless).

The issue also seems to vary in intensity, in that sometimes it won't heat above about 200F, and sometimes it heats adequately if I draw slower than usual. Then, the next fast/ hard draw may be fine. It's a good thing I can see what's happening, with the digital display.

I still really like the Tubo for personal use, as I can always swap batteries or reset it, but this makes sharing it nearly impossible. It also ensures that, for me, it's a home-only vape until this problem is resolved. Fortunately, portability isn't why I bought it, but it'd be nice to have the option.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
i think the same is true for the project, its unnecessary to limit power even more than here since the heater is so quickly up to temp. do you think the battery life would really expand noticeably by using less energy for longer? :)

Yes clearly. I'm getting 3 bowls (about 30 hits each) per 25R on the Milaana (under 40W unregulated) and I'm getting considerably more (4-5 maybe?) with the same cell using the Project or my numerous custom 510 attys on several mods set to 40W / TC mode.

So with the same cell, same mod, same firmware, only a lower max wattage, I'm getting noticeably more run-time, and adequate *at least to my slow drawing style* stability and vapor output. That's why I think it could be interesting to add that second profile. Users could try it and revert to max power with just a few clicks (and it would be preset and optimized by you so they don't have to dive into the gory details and PID settings)

But otherwise your vape seems to be clearly a powerhouse at 70W. That's definitely a selling point, it's more powerful than the Mighty and the Zion. It just sounds normal that it would be quite taxing on the cell...

that is also my finding. in fact i am pretty sure the mod/firmware limits current to 17.1A, i have not seen values over that with the 30Q set as battery (preset for all units). and when the battery is not able to supply the 17A anymore it displays weak battery and watts go down to ~60W at max.

...and I think it's really borderline for the HG2, which got quite hot already at 18A on all tests I've seen. Mooch even rates it only at 18A continuous. So it's operating close to the limit at 17A which will greatly reduce its service life.

Maybe it would be best if you recommended the 30Q/VTC6/HG2 only as second choice, and the VTC5/25R/H2/HE4 as first choice instead? My own recommendation would be to use 30A cells to operate with ample headroom. The VTC4 being only 23A continuous and 2100mAh is a good compromise and otherwise the LG HB2/HB4/HB6 would be even better than the VTC3 with a true 30A rating.

Top Bottom