True or False: If you see vapor as you exhale you are wasting the hit?

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I haven't had much chance to enjoy this forum other than updating the VapeXhale thread but this topic definitely caught my attention. One thing that came to mind is the guys that like to vape BHO. These folks are exhaling a lot of vapor and getting extremely medicated off of one rip. This seems to be counter intuitive to what I have been reading in this thread. I guess the real question is that when they are "vaping" BHO is it really vapor, smoke, or a combination of both. I have only tried it a handful of times and I can say it got me REALLY, REALLY high. Almost like smoking for the first time again but it really wasn't my thing.

Not sure what would happen if you held your breath 20+ seconds with BHO vapor but now I'm a bit curious.

Sticks - I'm with you, while I do like to maximize my potency, I vape to relieve stress and enjoy myself. Sometimes I'll hold my breath but most times I just inhale and exhale and feel plenty medicated.

stonemonkey55,

Sour Deez

i dont feel a difference between holding it for 5-10 seconds or 30-40 seconds.

When you talk about vaping bho, u mean an actual vaporizer or heating up like a titanium pad? I dont believe the pad is technically vaporizing, if you hold those hits in for 20 seconds your in for a hurting. The lung expansion is usually pretty extreme.

Sour Deez,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Sour Deez said:

When you talk about vaping bho, u mean an actual vaporizer or heating up like a titanium pad? I dont believe the pad is technically vaporizing, if you hold those hits in for 20 seconds your in for a hurting. The lung expansion is usually pretty extreme.
Yeah Unless you check with laser termometer :D the temperature of the ti-skillet :D.. Most videos i saw.. guys are heating 20 + seconds.. thats burning i think... :)
I just have successfully done a milk hit usind DBV wand pluged into a DBV heater cover with removed stem(where the heater elements plugs)i plug the wand in my bong.. :) I put oil on the 90 angle and start to heat with torch from the outer side.. In 5-7 seconds small vapor is visible. i start to inhale . i count 3-4 seconds i stop the torch and continue inhale.. Another technic i tried is to put the oil on pin , heat the heater cover with the torch for 10-15 seconds then drop the pin and i do a quick hit... then i partially black out often :) but i think thats more buring than vaporizing..

Abysmal Vapor,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
I think that the trade-off is some extra absorption/effect with extra effort or less with less effort.

The same thing applies to concentrates, even though they have more effects with more OR less absorption/effort than plant material. There is also the potential of residual combustibles in the concentrate to burn due to the excessive heat of some concentrate-vaporizing approaches.

You can hyperventilate to improve your absorption, or wastefully exhale knowing that you can always toke another. (This is not just stated as fact. It is fact and can be tested/proven many different ways.)

Toke it easy :cool: (or to the maximum level of efficiency possible). :D

Progress,

eddyfrancis

Sour Deez said:

I really don't mean to keep calling you out on this but I am puzzled. When I hold my breath for 5-10 seconds, I exhale a giant cloud and barely feel an effect. However around 20 seconds usually allows me to absorb most of the vapor and I get quite vaked. I'm starting to become worried it's just carcinogens getting me high. :uhoh:

eddyfrancis,

momatik

If the vapor we're breathing in is 90+% THC then why aren't I getting a stronger effect right on the inhale? I've seen concentrate hits on youtube, and how people react to those. If a vapor hit is almost pure THC, then the difference has to be a matter of volume and not concentration; that we aren't saturating our lungs with enough vapor.

From what I understand significance of depth kind of comes from an understanding of how your lungs are moving oxygen from the air into your blood. When you're sitting down and not moving, your blood pressure is lower and all those tiny tiny capillaries in your lungs aren't being filled near the middle and top (against gravity). There is more blood near the bottom of your lungs than near the top, creating a higher potential for gas exchange deeper. Breathing using your diaphragm is actually what we are supposed to be doing; it brings the air in more evenly and straight down. Breathing from your chest is inefficient in comparison.

To focus on breathing using your diaphragm, breath in "from your stomach," and attempt to keep your chest relatively still. On the exhale, flex your abdominal muscles. This strengthens your diaphragm, allowing you to create more force on your inhale. Abdominal breathing is widely recommended to increase oxygen absorption so it makes sense that it'd help here.

I tried combining these factors yesterday. Prior to the first hit on the tube I took a few good deep breaths of air. It gives me peace of mind taking in a good amount of oxygen before the vapor. With the Zap I've just been taking a very long slow drawn out hit but immediately after I clear the tube I use my diaphragm to inhale as much air as possible, creating as much force on the inhale as I can. The extra air and the force should in theory push the vapor further down in your lungs where there is more potential for gas exchange.

Yesterday, the first hit on the 2nd stem of the session with this method was something I've never experienced before. Entire body was buzzing immediately, and my vision almost went out completely. I exhaled after maybe 10 seconds and let out much less vapor than I was accustom to seeing after that duration. I got a little nervous about the vision. I didn't have any headache afterwards, which would have been a sign of a lack of oxygen.

These are all just my thoughts. Hopefully someone else can enlighten me further on my observations.

Have to agree with Progress; it's not exactly relaxing trying to create a lot of force on that inhale. But now you have me thinking that I was hyperventilating and that is why the effect was greater. I think was doing more of a focused breathing, but I guess it'd accomplish the same result to a degree. Do you know how hyperventilation increases absorption? By just allowing you to take a longer hit?

momatik,

Sour Deez

eddyfrancis said:
Sour Deez said:

I really don't mean to keep calling you out on this but I am puzzled. When I hold my breath for 5-10 seconds, I exhale a giant cloud and barely feel an effect. However around 20 seconds usually allows me to absorb most of the vapor and I get quite vaked. I'm starting to become worried it's just carcinogens getting me high. :uhoh:

its all good, we are just trying to find what works best. Maybe our bodies are different, and absorb at different rates if thats even possible.

After my hit, i take in a deep breath, wait 5 seconds, take in another deep breath, wait 5 seconds, exhale. I didnt notice a difference letting the vapor sit in my lungs for another 30 seconds.

Sour Deez,

SD_haze

Maybe our bodies are different, and absorb at different rates if thats even possible.

Drugs affect everyone differently. Things like bio-availability vary BIG TIME person to person

SD_haze,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
SD_haze said:
Maybe our bodies are different, and absorb at different rates if thats even possible.

Drugs affect everyone differently. Things like bio-availability vary BIG TIME person to person

Our planet is made of cosmic dust and its solvent is water... Humans have much liquids in their body too..
So basicly we are something like water melons :D...
So how much can your body dissolve is a matter of how pure is your body.. My logic is that u can dissolve much more stuff if you have molecular space in you... as you can dissolve more sugar for example in distilled water ... than tap water.. because there is a lot more space due to lower number of chemical additives..
If i load my body with crap.. i feel like there is no more place for anything.. and for example if my mind is blown by candy.chocolate.meat..cheese.. the high becames less due to less purity.. it mixes with the other chemicals..

Abysmal Vapor,

Sour Deez

^^ interesting...

what about this. I know even on hits where I cant see visible vapor, if I hold a flashlight up near my mouth/nose area during exhale, It looks like smoke almost. During normal breathing obviously you cant see anything on exhale, so I am exhaling something even though I cant see it without the light. You guys should try it and report back.

Sour Deez,

SD_haze

Sour Deez said:
^^ interesting...

what about this. I know even on hits where I cant see visible vapor, if I hold a flashlight up near my mouth/nose area during exhale, It looks like smoke almost. During normal breathing obviously you cant see anything on exhale, so I am exhaling something even though I cant see it without the light. You guys should try it and report back.

i always exhale into my little spotlight in my room to see a big cloud, especially when i used the iolite getting wimpy hits

SD_haze,

kewpcer

I've given this some thought. Respiration at the cell level is driven by simple diffusion, and as such, the rate of which will be affected to a great extent by concentration. The more dense with vapor inhaled, the more rapid the THC is absorbed by the lung tissue. Therefor, more total THC absorbed over time with a thick hit.

The exhaled vapor is a necessary evil to get that big spike in serum THC levels, which along with a bit of O2 deprivation, are associated with a bell ringer bong hit.

As for time... 10-15 second holds after I finish hitting is the most pronounced effect I get. Diminishing returns kicks in after that point.

kewpcer,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
kewpcer said:
Respiration at the cell level is driven by simple diffusion, and as such, the rate of which will be affected to a great extent by concentration.

At some point, concentration exceeds the capability of the cells to absorb. Anything thicker than that is waste. Based purely on my own experience, I think this limit is reached with even fairly wispy vapour. Thick hits do not get me higher nor do they work faster.

pakalolo,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
yeah, bho is one of the things that made me question how fast vapor is absorbed. Two dabs, not held in super long and I am all set generally.

I do think deep inhale is important, I like to inhale some air after my hit of vapor to get all the vapor down deep. I think if you do one full intake and none more of all vapor you are wasting vapor.

The other side is that I think more small hits is more efficient, but more big ones work faster in general.

rabblerouser,

crawdad

floatin
gettin lifted said:
110% true. less vapor inhaled at a time is actually more.

pretty much my findings as well. i hit easy and slow to start with, when i begin to notice taste diminishing i up the temp by a little and keep going till im satisfied with the bowl.

the idea is kind of like shoveling food into your mouth using a large spoon in each hand with some of it making its way onto your face, lap, floor, etc. vs eating with chop sticks slowly and getting all of it in you.

crawdad,

B.

War Criminal
Sorry if this is asked and asnwered, but it seems to me that I cant absorb 100% of any hit, small or large, so for me the question becomes : is the ratio of absorbed vapor to exhaled vapor the same no matter how large the hit? or is a hit of a certain size able to be more efficiently processed by the body?

B.,

crawdad

floatin
B. said:
I cant absorb 100% of any hit, small or large

how do you know? unable to hold breath? you always see a large cloud on exhale? perhaps take even smaller hits and just take extra time to finish a bowl. :peace:

crawdad,

B.

War Criminal
^^^All I could possibly from this is whether or not I see any vapor on exhale. How do you know lack of visible vapor is the same as 100% vapor absorption?

"Unable to hold breath?" :rolleyes:

It's funny when people make less than polite comments but then throw a peace sign up at the end like that makes it cool(and for the record, this will be my one and only comment on that situation)

B.,

Vaporgin.

Mt.BakerVaper
if this is true then why do people call vapes like the SSV hard hitting vapes? If all the clouds they exhale are wasted then how can it get you higher than say a mflb

Vaporgin.,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
big hits are still like a slap in the face. a bigger vape hit can hit you quicker and harder than a bunch of little hits...you'll eventually catch up with the little hits, though.

stickstones,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Vaporgin. said:
if this is true then why do people call vapes like the SSV hard hitting vapes? If all the clouds they exhale are wasted then how can it get you higher than say a mflb

Why do you say the SSV gets you higher than the MFLB?

I've never used the SSV but I have tried high temperature cloudy hits from my Extreme. I know people say that's not the same but my point here is that I've been using weed, hash, and oil for over 40 years and I know how high I can get. I do not for a second believe that heavy vapour hits get me any higher than any of half a dozen other methods, including the MFLB. Perhaps you get there a little faster (I believe that with the right LB technique even this isn't true) but higher? Certainly not me.

By the way, some people think the MFLB gets you higher than other vaporizers:

I can get a harder buzz from my Box than from my other vaporizers, why?

pakalolo,

eddyfrancis

It all depends on the person. I just finished a session of heavy clouds and I can barely type this right now, lol. I have never gotten anywhere near this high from my mflb. :2c:

eddyfrancis,

djonkoman

pakalolo said:
Vaporgin. said:

Why do you say the SSV gets you higher than the MFLB?

I've never used the SSV but I have tried high temperature cloudy hits from my Extreme. I know people say that's not the same but my point here is that I've been using weed, hash, and oil for over 40 years and I know how high I can get. I do not for a second believe that heavy vapour hits get me any higher than any of half a dozen other methods, including the MFLB. Perhaps you get there a little faster (I believe that with the right LB technique even this isn't true) but higher? Certainly not me.

By the way, some people think the MFLB gets you higher than other vaporizers:

I can get a harder buzz from my Box than from my other vaporizers, why?

I think that's part psychologically(seeing large clouds) and personal effect(I noticed I can get higher from my pd as opposed to my vg, wich again gets me higher as combustion, my theory is that, since I also like sativa's more and started vaping because of the better effect, I just perceive the more mental high effect from the lower temp as being higher, since I always feel almost sober when I have a more stoney buzz)

djonkoman,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
stickstones said:
big hits are still like a slap in the face. a bigger vape hit can hit you quicker and harder than a bunch of little hits...you'll eventually catch up with the little hits, though.

Totally agree. SSV gets you very mashed quickly, literally like you're dazed having been hit hard in the face, although obviously without any pain, just a feeling that makes you wanna say: Duhhhh
You can take smaller hits to avoid this of course but depends on what you want to achieve.

The MFLB takes longer and certainly produces a somewhat 'lighter' effect, but still gets you baked.

wilf789,
Top Bottom