Transformer Tubes (Formerly Steele Concept)

Steele Concept

Transformer Tubes
Manufacturer
Hey Jurassic, all good questions!

1. Polycarbonate is NOT acrylic. Acrylic is cheap and breaks easily. Polycarbonate is expensive and used where extreme strength is needed. The incredibowl and the Jet water pipe tubes are made of polycarb, that's why you can see the incredibowl run their unit over with a car and it's fine. Polycarbonate is what nalgene bottles are made of. Lol just try to break one of those bad boys, you'll hurt yourself! In my initial demos to retailers I would have a separate tube and stomp hard on it in the middle of the head shop so they knew it was no BS.

2. Polycarb is light and if a water pipe was made entirely of it, it would tip very easily. Nearly all my units weight is in the base. It's hard as hell to tip over due to the heavy center of gravity. Also I have my logo stamped in which looks very industrial and nice. Steel + Polycarb looks much better than Polycarb alone.

3. My last name is Steele, not Polycarbe. If I made it all out of Polycarbonate that just wouldn't be cool man ;)

Vapenstien's Monster

Kudos Steel Concept, this thing looks pretty solid. The price point on it's face seems high but that is when looking at a cheap plastic and metal water-pipe, when looking at a precision highly tooled piece of equipment that will last a lifetime and will be easy to clean,... well then it becomes a heritage piece, one that gets handed down over the generations and that itself is both kind of cool and worth a higher price point. I am certain that as time goes on there will be upgrades and innovations to your original design.

Being an entrepreneur is hard. You get more free advice, criticism and doubt than anyone that simply goes and punches a clock. You take more risk. You work hard for little or no pay in exchange for creating a new concept, industry and jobs. It ain't easy, but you have probably figured out that it is better ( for your mentality) to work for yourself for $1.09 an hour than to sit in a cubicle making someone else rich.

Pricing a new product can be the hardest part of bringing something to market. You have to cover your costs, keep your down-line happy and price at a point that will get the attention of your intended customer base. Typically in this industry the breakdown on profit is something like 30-45% for the manufacturer, 30-35% for the distributor, 100% (Keystone) for retailers. In the big picture it looks like retailers make the most money on a product. Here is an example for a "widget":
The end-user goes to a head-shop and buys a brand new widget for $100, the shop bought it from a distributor for $50, the distributor bought it from the manufacturer for $35 and it cost the manufacturer $22.75 to produce.

Of course this makes a lot of manufacturers want to skip all the guys in between and make the retail/end-user money himself. This is also why buying direct saves folks so much money.

There are pro's and con's to both scenarios. When going with distributors and retail outlets you save some money on advertising costs as the distributors and shops themselves advertise your product because they also don't want it sitting on a shelf.

Beyond just the profit margins, a person has to look at their intended marketing scheme and what the market "perceived value" is and how that plays into pricing.
For instance:
Many years ago, when grinders were "new" and there were only wood ones on the market. I had access to a brand called Crop Circle ( which I still think is an awesome name for a grinder) I got them for $3 and figured I would sell them for $5. I went to plenty of shops and festivals and couldn't move a cheap ass wood grinder for $5. So I looked at my plan. I was selling a little wooden grinder with metal tines for $5, nobody wanted it... so I decided I would sell the same thing and define it better... I sold Crop Circle, the only grinder made of naturally fell Canadian hardwood, coated with hemp oil, with surgical grade 304-stainless tines. .... guess what? I couldn't keep one of these bad ass $20 grinders in stock. :rockon:

Another note on your product. It seems like it could in fact be the first water-pipe with a warranty. Nobody offers one on glass and for $400 it would be real nice to know that if it got ran over or broken somehow that it would could be sent in for repair/replacement. Seems like it would also show your confidence in your design..

HAHA wow, I guess I am vaked, sorry about the long rant, I know you didn't ask for my input. Woops.
Good luck with your endeavor, I will be keeping an eye out for your stuff at the shows and shops.

*Edit* I'd take anything over a bitchy supermodel. But id skip the fat ugly non-cooking bitch as well.

Steele Concept

Transformer Tubes
Manufacturer
Jurassic - I'm glad I could answer your questions. They were good and good for the community to know as well.

Vapenstein - You are a wise business man. I'd love to pick your brain sometime. Basically Im busy currently establishing a rather exclusive dealer network in New England. Thusfar, it is going very well and my previous careers were in sales so im a bit green of course, but taking right to this industry.

Outside of that I will self distribute and ship to anywhere in the U.S. except for the states with laws that prevent that. I'm all about 100% legal compliance and have consulted with a good attorney about legal issues.

Being an entrepreneur isn't easy but if I can create value and help the community while making a decent living I will be very happy. I used to sell other people's shit... It is incredibly rewarding to sell something you develop yourself. Its also good because I know the ins and outs of the product and can educate the dealer/consumer accordingly.

Steele Concept

Transformer Tubes
Manufacturer
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... The grand opening sale ends tomorrow officially. I do have a handful of units from initial production that have slight scratches on the Polycarb tube. I have since sorted this problem out in the manufacturing but I'm willing to offer these fully functioning but lightly scratched units for $220 shipped to you guys and my local friends.

PM me if you are interested. Once these lightly scratched units are gone, I hope to never have scratched units again. Generally they are very small scuff marks and not a big deal at all for the typical buyer. My dealers of course want perfection and will receive nothing less than that so I can't give these units to the retailers.

Come get em while they're hot ;)

Peace

Steele Concept,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Hey Steele... where are you at in New England? And where have you sold it into? Just curious as I'm in RI...

Tstat,

Steele Concept

Transformer Tubes
Manufacturer
Hey Steele... where are you at in New England? And where have you sold it into? Just curious as I'm in RI...

CT and VT. Coming soon to RI, NH, MA and ME.

In your state I'm looking at Kind Connections in particular. The owner was so kind on the phone and very receptive.

When I look for dealers I like to make sure not only that the shop is one of the best in the state but also that they treat their people right. I'm not pimping out my product to any dealer, I only want the best, who treat their customers the best. Kindness goes a long way in life and business as well.

Steele Concept,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Kind Connection is the place to be for sure! First it's on College Hill, next to Brown and RISD. He sells a LOT of really nice, expensive glass to these kids with money. I got my Toro and Medicali there, plus some nice local glass. Great place.

Now, to be honest, I'm a glass guy, and this isn't probably for me. But I think it's perfect for my 23 YO son whose is prone to breaking glass pieces.

Tstat,

Steele Concept

Transformer Tubes
Manufacturer
Kind Connection is the place to be for sure! First it's on College Hill, next to Brown and RISD. He sells a LOT of really nice, expensive glass to these kids with money. I got my Toro and Medicali there, plus some nice local glass. Great place.

Now, to be honest, I'm a glass guy, and this isn't probably for me. But I think it's perfect for my 23 YO son whose is prone to breaking glass pieces.

Great to hear!

This piece was made for tough environments and for people who just want something quality that will last.

I'll probably end up moving to RI in a few years. You guys have nice progressive laws there, but it's expensive just like CT. You people also are crazy drivers lol...

In fact I am very close to the border and was looking at the URI Pharmacy program when I was accepted to URI back in High School... I am glad I decided against that. I know a few Pharmacists who work retail now, excellent money, poor working environment.

Coffee milk and wataaaa bubblas. CT clam chowder is still the best thoug hehe.

Steele Concept,

Steele Concept

Transformer Tubes
Manufacturer
The Grand Opening sale is now over. It is Monday in EST where I reside. Thanks to those who participated and I hope you enjoy my product.

I found some more units which were scratched. My offer stands, $220 for these units shipped for you guys and my friends :)

Steele Concept,

budbudbud

Great invention dude! I definitely think theres a market for indestructible scientific glass. It's awesome to see someone from Connecticut getting into the glass game.

budbudbud,

Steele Concept

Transformer Tubes
Manufacturer
Yeah budbudbud, it's made of glass, 304 stainless and polycarbonate. CT needs to produce something for the pipe game :)

What part of CT you from?

Steele Concept,

Tamataz

Icelander
I do like this idea and props to you for following through with it! I for one would definitely buy the $220 slightly scratched ones if i wasn't just starting college! Its simple, low air restricting design, that wont clog and be a bitch to clean. The "ice" cubes are a genius idea, no more melting ice cubs overfilling the bong with water. Not to mention the cubes will surely stay cooler for a lot longer. But the ice cubes only really work for your bong, because its indestructible, but that's a plus for you ;)

I don't think the price tag is to bad considering it is a brand new product and I'm sure a lot of research and time went into producing it. I mean i wonder how much the first ROOR bongs cost when they first went into development? The price of this unit will probably go down (i hope :D) once people start buying them.

I can also see this as a perfect bong to stack attachments on, because the weight of it is so damn heavy and the base is nice and wide.

The only thing that popped into my head is do you know if it is safe to clean these bongs with rubbing alcohol/grunge off/etc. Will it effect the Polycarbonate or weaken the glue? I once cleaned my friend cheap ass acrylic bong with rubbing alcohol and after that all the pieces came apart.

Representing from MA. (wasn't born here but moved here from Iceland)

-Tamataz.

Tamataz,

Steele Concept

Transformer Tubes
Manufacturer
Hi Tomataz!

Thanks for the kind words. I was actually passing though MA today on business.

It is recommended to clean Polycarbonate with alcohol. Everything I use is FDA approved and it is fine to clean this unit with alcohol and blast a hose in the downstem on the steel. If anything it might be easier to clean than your average piece because you can be aggressive in your cleaning.

When designing this unit it was all about safety, smoothness and strength.

Hence the safe, sexy, strong mantra.

As you mentioned ice is great and it seems everyone uses ice in their piece the first week or so, but it gets tiresome because it melts and overfills the unit causing spillage :(

In other news...

Today I got the latest word from my suppliers regarding big bulk pricing on material. It will absolutely be possible to offer this unit for $249.99 shipped in the future for everyone!

That makes me so happy because I want everyone to be able to afford one. It will take a lot of selling current units to get there, but we WILL get there.

I ordered the next lot of units and the finish will be super smooth and a bit darker for that sleek look we are all after.

Just like I tell my dealers I am all about providing top notch Made in U.S.A. quality at fair and affordable prices.

Steele Concept,

Steele Concept

Transformer Tubes
Manufacturer
I cleaned my unit with 95% ethanol (grain alcohol) and it works like a charm! Just shake the shit outta it and spray water in the downstem for a thorough cleaning.

Quite easy.

Steele Concept,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I wish I could get grain alcohol here. I want it for cleaning and other things. I am pretty sure they regulate that in Washington State. You have to have a permit in order to purchase Ethanol.

Slightly Medicated,

Steele Concept

Transformer Tubes
Manufacturer
I'm actually quite surprised they have grain alcohol at liquor stores here in CT. Usually around here laws are pretty strict.

Isopropyl is a great alternative though. It is so much cheaper than Ethanol at your local drug store. Also I'm sure you guys know, but to clean downstems and bowls some iso and salt in a ziplock works wonders. Just mix 'em and shake her up with the down stem in the bag, then the bowl!

I remember my first time using alcohol and salt in a ziplock to clean a small pipe and I was amazed at the efficiency! It's like having a brand new piece.

Steele Concept,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
7843404686_8eaa249020_z.jpg
7843405950_7acceb1698_z.jpg

7843405310_cfedc54454_z.jpg
7843406564_a4308ece6f_z.jpg

7843402704_6c1b87106e_z.jpg

7843401248_71fc146ac7_z.jpg

7843404048_3363beff26_z.jpg

7843400132_1e12bb16d6_z.jpg

Steele Concept

Transformer Tubes
Manufacturer
Look for our ad in High Times December issue (Comes out in Oct.) Could be a possible product review in High Times as well.

High-Times-Final1.jpg

Steele Concept,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
SliM......wtf was that? all those beautiful pics and no text?

Sorry, I was too tired from the editing to think of something to write... I figured since I was mostly just wanting to post the photographs it was okay. I find sometimes after I spend awhile editing photographs... I have a hard time verbalizing or writing things. I think getting in that photo editing mood turns off my part of brain that makes good conversation, so I can focus more of my energy on the creative editing process. If you try and talk to me in person while I am editing I am not very responsive.

Great photos, Slm! So you have one now, what are your impressions?

I have not tried it yet... I know blasphemy!!! I am waiting on a 14mm/18mm adapter. I don't have any 14mm adapters for my vaporizers. I imagine tomorrow it should arrive. I plan on doing some videos as well. Figured poeple would want to see it in action.

I have had a chance to hold and clean the device since I got it. The weight is nice. It is heavier then I would have imagined. It weighs around 3lbs and feel very bottom heavy... which is good. There are allot of habits I have associated with being delicate around glass. They are kind of conflicting/clashing with this pipe. For instance. I know you can just drop the steel cubes down in the tube... the whole thing is sturdy enough to handle it. I still have the urge to tilt the pipe and slowly let the steel cubes slide down to the bottom. I guess old habits die hard. It cleans up really easily and nicely.

I am looking forward to getting the adapter so I can fit all my vaporizers to the unit.

Top Bottom