Total Vape newb needs help in making first purchase

FEAR420

Hey guys,Ive been doing my research for quite some time now and Ive come to the point where Im just flat-out STUCK :( Ive googled & googled & even yahoo'd a little bit(how I found this great site!!) and now Im not only stuck,but confused. Ive had my peepers on a few Vapes over the months and it seems as though everytime I narrow it down to one or 2,someone releases something newer,bigger & "better". Ive mostly been shopping/browsing @ gotvape.com and I must say,they have a great selection but their info is highly lacking and all their video's are pretty generic and dont show the usage or how well they deliver vapor.

Im sure you guys are tired of answering threads like this so Ill try to keep it as clear cut & to-the-point as possible-

? Price. How much does price drive your choice? Im looking to spend up-to $200-$300 ABSOLUTE MAX

? Delivery system. In what social settings will you vaporize the most? CONVECTION is a MUST. I'm usually a solo-smoker,...once in awhile Ill have some company over. Usually never more than a total of 4 people including myself due to my anxiety,so I was looking mainly at a whip system or a whip/bag system

? Efficiency. - This is my MAIN concern as I'm currently disabled & out of work (Victim of 9/11-suffering from severe social anxiety,agoraphobia & PTSD). I dont have much money,if any at all,so the efficiency is biggest concern,since I cant be wasting my meds.

? Manufacturer. - Theres so many out there,I just dont know who has good quality and whos making cheap crap that could potentially be harmful to my health.

? Stealth. - I have a 26" triple tree perced handblown glass GONG sitting in the corner of my bedroom...Stealth is NOT an issue. Hell,I think Id rather have a nice conversation piece as well as smoking piece.

? Learning curve. - Im a tinkerer and I LOVE to play with my new toys,so Id have to say learning curve isnt much of a worry. I just dont want something that I gotta lay on its side or turn over so my herbals dont start to combust.

? Temperature control. - I would prefer something that I can see & set the temp with. I know most of the temp readings arent accurate at all due to where they get the temp readings from and type of heating used.

So I guess thats it as far as the "requirements" go. Now onto the vapes Ive been looking at for some of your expert advice-

1- Vapir Air One 5.0 Vaporizer- Second Choice
http://www.gotvape.com/store/vapir_air_one3_vaporizer.php

2- Easy Vape Digital Vaporizer- Last choice for the $200 & UNDER Choices
http://www.gotvape.com/store/easy-vape-digital-vaporizer.php

3- Hyper Digital Vaporizer - Im REALLY LIKING THIS ONE!! Seems to have most/all of the features I want.
http://www.gotvape.com/store/hyper-vaporizer.php

4- Extreme Vaporizer - Ive heard LOTS of good about this,but its $300...about $100-150 more than Id really like to spend...
http://www.gotvape.com/store/extreme-vaporizer.php

So thats it folks. Those are MY 4 choices that Ive managed to come up with. I hope this helps give you a better understanding of what Im looking for and what might be a better/cheaper alternative to any of these. Any & all advice/help is welcome as Im new to the world of Vaping and would like to learn as much as possible before making my purchase.

Thank You,
Justin

FEAR420,

quomist

Rock the Casbah
I would recommend a Da Buddha Vaporizer which you can find at this link:

http://www.vapeworld.com/vaporizers/da-buddha-vaporizers/da-buddha-vaporizer

It's well within your price range, $179. You can use the FC coupon "FC12" to get another 12% off. The reason why I recommend it is that it is great for social settings. I have no problem getting 4 people high off of it. When I am alone, one bowl will wreck me.

There is an adjustable knob for temperature, and all parts are sturdy. It comes with a great storage bag which is more like a pillow than a bag.

I know you said efficiency is your main concern and there are more efficient vaporizers than the DBV out there (Myrtlezap/Purple Days), but I feel you lose out on being able to have those big sessions with friends. That being said, the DBV is still very efficient and can probably knock you down on your ass with one bowl.

quomist,

lwien

If efficiency is your main concern, as you have stated above, look into the Purple Days. Check out the long thread on this site.

lwien,

FEAR420

lwien said:
If efficiency is your main concern, as you have stated above, look into the Purple Days. Check out the long thread on this site.
Since joining here,Im seeing more & more discussion about this particular vape...Definitely gonna have a gander at it & see if it fits my needs.

EDIT-Well I just went and had a look-see at the Purple Days. Site doesnt really offer much useful info. Ill have peruse the threads and see what people say about them.

And Im still really liking this one - http://www.gotvape.com/store/hyper-vaporizer.php - Anybody have any thoughts,info or incites on this particular vape box?

FEAR420,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
G for an extreme, great for solo or groups of up to four. Does whips and bags. Great vape for tinkerers like yourself. All GonG joints so you can hook it to your bong very well.Wide temp range and right inside your price range.

bluntfaced,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
If you want a whip vape, Da Buddha, VaporCannon or Vapor Brothers - or for a little more, the Silver Surfer. Stay away from the Easy Vape or the Hot Box.
Purple Days is great - many consider it above and beyond, myself included, but there's a 3 month plus wait period as each one is hand built by the inventor.

Check Craigslist in your area to see if there's used vapes - I bought a hardly used Vapor Brothers for $70, the guy even delivered it, and I love it.

jeffp,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
I have not used anything but the Vapor Genie and Vape-Pen, none of which fit your requirements. But I was in your shoes 2 weeks ago and did a lot of research on which to buy so I'll share what I deduced from my research:

If it wasn't for your requirement of temperature adjustment, I'd say go with the Myrtlezap or Purple Days. Both look very discreet and seem to be very reliable, but neither are temperature adjustable, except a bit by throwing a beer cooler around it or put something over it to heat it a bit more, use it under a ceiling fan or ? to lower the temp. Personally if I were you I'd probably go with the Myrtlezap because it looks like art, is beautiful and by all accounts I've seen from users, works very well. The PD would be my other choice but last I heard there is a 9 week wait for it.

So as to getting one with a temperature adjustment I'd go with the DaBuddha or a Vapor Bros. Neither are as discreet looking as the Myrtlezap or PD, though. The Vapor Bros. one is just a box with a knob on it so it just looks like an electronic device of some sort.
Not very many members of this Forum seem to have used the Vapor Bros. much but here in the L.A. area, it is VERY popular. All the head shops carry it. I've not heard one complaint about it from users I've talked to, and am shocked it's not recommended more here on this forum. Some have said there's an "issue" of herb falling down into the heater area but the actual users I've talked to say this is not a problem. This issue also seems to be easily addressed by simply tilting the box so the tube is level when you use it.

As I said I have not tried nor know anyone who has tried any of the other ones on your list so I cannot speak about those, and these I am speaking about I know only from reading a lot here and there.

MoeOnTheMoon,

Beezleb

I suggest you decide you what type of vaporize you need and want. I recommend reviewing the videos in my sig.

Once you decide on a class of vaporizer we can help you better.

Beezleb,

FEAR420

Beezleb said:
I suggest you decide you what type of vaporize you need and want. I recommend reviewing the videos in my sig.

Once you decide on a class of vaporizer we can help you better.
The Vapes 101 vid is one of my all-time favs!!! The other one I had never seen before. Im going to re-watch that one & actually take some written notes and see if I cant come up with something a bit more clear cut to help make my decision.

Gonna go brew up some coffee & watch that vid a few more times and Ill be posting back shortly.

Thanks for all the help so far guys...I almost made one shitty buy last night,glad I waited & did more researching before purchasing.:D

FEAR420,

aero18

vaporist
jeffp said:
PS - hands free is nice, if you go with a whip.
That depends on how you use it. Usually I stirred after each draw or two, so the hands free option just was a minor nuisance.

aero18,

FEAR420

Ok,so I THINK I got the info you were wanting from me Beezleb. Here goes...

Price - $200- If I have no other choice,I can go up to $300 for the Extreme as I think that might be the only one that fits my "needs/wants"... :(

Convection is an absolute MUST. Hands Free is also a must. High efficiency is prefered. Absolutely NO preset vapes. Some sort of analog (dial) temp control is prefered & temp reading since Ill be vaping at differing temps for different effects,but if my only options have LCD then Ill settle. As far as the bags go,it seems pretty novel for when you have a large group over,but like I said,I never have more then 3-4 people here including myself,so a whip system would be fine. I like the idea of forced air,but Im still unsure on it.From what I gathered on the second video,I would PREFERABLY want(not absolutely) something with a forced air system that can be switched on & off like the V-Tower Extreme,VAPIR AIR, & EasyVape 2 so that I can use them as a direct draw vape also.

FEAR420,

SmogTown

If you don't want bags go with Da Buddha. Well that's what I would pick I'm sure others will chime in.

Edit: Just realized you want forced air. Just disregard :D.

SmogTown,

FEAR420

SmogTown said:
If you don't want bags go with Da Buddha. Well that's what I would pick I'm sure others will chime in.

Edit: Just realized you want forced air. Just disregard :D.
I dont exactly "WANT" forced air,but I would like to have something that I can use both ways as a forced air system & as a direct draw system.

FEAR420,

Beezleb

For the bag and multivape vaporizers I suggest the Extreme and Herbalaire. While I have not seen any recent complaints on the vapir 5.0 it has been notorious for leaking vapor. Typically, the vapir products are less favored over most other vaporizers.

The extreme I think meets your needs too. Check out the extreme thread and look into using the elbow to get a better direct draw vape than using it normally for direct draw. The only down side is it has some breakables but that should not really be an issue, just make sure the groups keeps that in mind when moving and such.

The herbailaire would be worth checking out however I am of the opinion it is not as good in the direct draw operation compared to the extreme but I am basing that on numerous reviews and discussion on the vapes. Someone very well may be able to correct or give some hindsight on my opinion but that is my understanding of it. The bags are said to be the similar and the herbailaire is less breakable than the extreme.

I personally would select the extreme if I was looking for a vaporizer with your needs.
What a grand problem to have. Happy future vaping and theres lots of good people in the extreme and herbalaire threads that can assist with any further inquest in those vaporizers.

I hope that helped.

Beezleb,

FEAR420

Beezleb said:
For the bag and multivape vaporizers I suggest the Extreme and Herbalaire. While I have not seen any recent complaints on the vapir 5.0 it has been notorious for leaking vapor. Typically, the vapir products are less favored over most other vaporizers.

The extreme I think meets your needs too. Check out the extreme thread and look into using the elbow to get a better direct draw vape than using it normally for direct draw. The only down side is it has some breakables but that should not really be an issue, just make sure the groups keeps that in mind when moving and such.

The herbailaire would be worth checking out however I am of the opinion it is not as good in the direct draw operation compared to the extreme but I am basing that on numerous reviews and discussion on the vapes. Someone very well may be able to correct or give some hindsight on my opinion but that is my understanding of it. The bags are said to be the similar and the herbailaire is less breakable than the extreme.

I personally would select the extreme if I was looking for a vaporizer with your needs.
What a grand problem to have. Happy future vaping and theres lots of good people in the extreme and herbalaire threads that can assist with any further inquest in those vaporizers.

I hope that helped.
Well as of right now...Im leaning heavily towards the VAPIR AIR 5.0 for a few reasons...the main one being price. I figure it like this,after reading more & more threads & doing research...I dont want to jump right into a $300 Vape purchase ATM because Im new to this and would like to get a bit more accustomed to it all. Also the VAPIR is small,cheap,portable,fits my needs(for now) and Ill actually trust my stoner friends around it. If it leaks,Ill seal that bastid up best I can. I also like the whole "disc/cartridge" aspect of it. After all the incite Ive gotten from you alone Beezleb,I think this will be the route I go down....Vapir 5.0 for now,get used to the whole vaping thing & learn my basics about vaping. Then around XMas time,Ill go 1000% for the Extreme. Maybe get lucky & get it as an xmas gift,have the cost split as a gift or hopefully it'll be on sale or sold with some sorta nifty xmas "gift set".

P.S.- I checked out the Herbalaire...its pretty bland looking and I just didnt like it overall...not to mention I can spend the extra $50 and get the Extreme which is EXACTLY what I want.

FEAR420,

aero18

vaporist
Yeah.. Don't ever buy a Vapir product. They break down easily and are of low quality. Perhaps the least reliable product on the market.

aero18,

FEAR420

aero18 said:
Yeah.. Don't ever buy a Vapir product. They break down easily and are of low quality. Perhaps the least reliable product on the market.
bah...I guess I was reading all paid/dummy reviews then.:mad: In the meantime,Ive been youtubing as many vape vids as possible and from what Ive seen Da Buddah is actually a very nice piece. Looks like Im back to being confused again :( Maybe I will just take the recommendations & go with DBV for now and do the xmas Extreme purchase as planned...

FEAR420,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
FEAR420 said:
Well as of right now...Im leaning heavily towards the VAPIR AIR 5.0 for a few reasons...the .
*nearly chokes on cup of tea

I think that has to be one of the worse recommended vapes on these forums.

Not only problems with vapor leaking out/ breaking down and a very short warranty, also plastic taste by all accounts.

Happycamper,

owin

I'd say Da Buddha unless you really want bags then go for Extreme. Just my opinion.

owin,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I almost disregarded vaping completely after trying a Vapir. Thank goodness I tried something better or I'd still be combusting. I GAVE my Vapir away as it was a POS! Would not suggest anyone buy one.

I personally would put that Vapir money towards a better vape. I wish I had skipped onto a better vape first... If I had found this place - I would have!!

Lo,

NoSmoke

If you buy a shitty ass Vapir product, after all this help everyone has given you, I will be beyond perplexed it's almost like you wanna set yourself up for disaster. Spend the extra cash, or get junk thats basically how it goes with everything in life. Why do you think Sams Choice soda doesn't taste as good as say Coke or Pepsi? If you want a multi-purpose vape your gonna have to spend, cheapest being the uber duber efficient Herbalaire. Multi-purpose to me is not all that nice after the first couple weeks or so, it all in the end comes down to taste, efficiency, and durability, trust me the Vapir provides none of those features even with its "bells and whistles" my recomendations would be in order from first to last

1. PD, Mrtlyezap ( this thing will help you save $$ and what better then that, and theres nothing nicer then being down to .3 grams and having it last all day and some)
2. VHW ( taste and taste and taste, I believe every vape connoisseur should own a all glass vape at some point (Glass Vapor Genie being the cheaper alternative)
3. Silver Surfer ( If you have the $$$ to spend its a sturdy vape with a very high vapor to air ratio, also the angle that the whip goes in allows for non worry vaping)
4. Da Buddha, Vapor Bros, Iolite, Extreme ( very highly overated IMO " I bought one about a month ago and hardly ever use her, thinner whip hits then my Surfer and not nearly as tasty), Vaporwarez

NoSmoke,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
the Vapir would be a waste of money. Why spend $150 now when you want to upgrade six weeks later at x-mas? Just get what you want the first time. I'll bet if you got DaBuddha, and still got a different unit later, you would still use your buddha down the road. The Vapir will get tossed in a couple of months at best.

stickstones,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
from what all the stuff you have mentioned in what you want, I would have too concur with NoSmoke's suggestions. Those listed are some very good options.
I have used most of them at one point or another in my quest for vapor knowledge.
I would check out those listed and read into them. As well as their respective threads here on FC.

seems like you tend too gravitate towards the lower end of quality of vaporizers put out there, dont want you too plop all your money down on something that might cause you too not like the vaping experience.

DevoTheStrange,
Top Bottom