Tolerance from vaping the same strain over and over

baxter

Hi There,

How often do you have to switch strains in order to prevent "Strain lock" where your tolerance goes up and you need to use MORE and MORE of the herb to get the same effects as normal.

I have only 2 strains and about 6 months worth of herb. If i smoke the OG Kush for week 1 and then the GSC for week 2 and alternate like that will it be sufficient to avoid the strain lock?

Another thing I could do is mix them together in a jar 50/50 I wonder if that would be a better idea?

Alexis

Hi There,

How often do you have to switch strains in order to prevent "Strain lock" where your tolerance goes up and you need to use MORE and MORE of the herb to get the same effects as normal.

I have only 2 strains and about 6 months worth of herb. If i smoke the OG Kush for week 1 and then the GSC for week 2 and alternate like that will it be sufficient to avoid the strain lock?

Another thing I could do is mix them together in a jar 50/50 I wonder if that would be a better idea?
I think you have a good idea to alternate them weekly. I bet this would work quite well. Beter than a random mixture.
I am in a similar boat with only 2 strains from last summer, an indica dom, and a sativa dominant auto.
I need to use both each day as the sativa is very heady and the indica is called for to compliment the buzz, at some point in the day.
On its own, the indica just does me in.
Ideally you want 3 strains (or more), with each strain being enjoyable and complete on its own.
So only you can decide, but I like plan A- weekly rotation. Good luck!:tup:

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Not sure if you meant vape when you wrote 'smoke'?

If so, then i have found that using different vapes has a similar outcome. Each vape brings it's own signature to the table so mixing up vapes may help.

The most obvious (for me) is switching from a convection to conduction, but all have their subtle or not so subtle differences, so that's what i do.

Edit- oh yeah, mixing some of the two together to make a 'fruit salad' is definately a good idea. This gives a third option, or more if you change the ratios. 1/4 to 3/4, then 50:50, 3/4 to 1/4 etc.

Last edited:

Doktor Dub

Personally, i know "Straintolerance" very good. Sometimes, it s the other way round and when i get an new Strain i need a few days to adjust and to be able to enjoy it - you know this too?

Alternating is a good idea, sometimes one for day and one for evening worked also for me.

I dont like to mix and i think mixing doesn t appreciate the Strain and the work to grow it - but thats just me.

:2c:

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Been consuming the same plants (cutting after cutting) for years now. Some for 4+ years at this point.

My tolerance to them has never changed much. I get tired sometimes of the flavor/high profile, but simply having 3-4 strains and just picking between the 3 at a whim really makes it so that you don't get tired of stuff.

That whole idea that you need "more and more," is pretty much bullshit.

TeeJay1952

70's & 80's grew one strain (Purple) and thought it was the height of agriculture. Medical came to my state with clones in dispensaries. I was wrong. Variety plus all those Agricultural students graduating and the perfections in strain identification and crossbreeding makes it a Brave New World.

C No Ego

Hi There,

look into cannabimimetics to augment cannabinoids from cannabis... you can prolong effects from any strain by using other cannabis like compounds from non cannabis sources...

too, just go a few days on one kind and then switch after a few days... as mentioned, alternating vaporizers on the same strain can be different effects as well.. mixing the two strains together in a salad adds differences too, sometimes mixes can be horrible though..

generally though if you wait enough time between your vape sessions (< the good sessions LOL) then you will keep effects at maximum even from just one strain...

eat lots of omega three as well as that helps create arachodonic acid that then turns into endocannabinoids for your own self made natural feel good high... that moment you feel your best is because anandamide is acting on your receptors to signal homeostasis for every cell in you

baxter

Is this "strain lock" actually a thing? I wonder if its not just an illusion like a "contact high"

But it is very interesting data to hear input from people that have actually vaped the same strain exclusively for more than 90 days consecutive.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I find I need the tolerance to kick in before I start enjoying a strain properly.

Once I've acclimated to a strain it tends to affect me in a fairly consistent manner.

I tend to stick with a strain for 3-6mnths (2-3x harvests a year). I'm a micro doser, one Vapcap bowl for a 1hr buzz and 1hr mong before my next bowl. I like to be mostly sober before my next bowl, I've found that tends to avoid overloading my endocana-thingamajigy-system.

However recently I've had the opportunity to do some swapsies and I do like the variety that offers. I'm still homing in on my favourite experience. Blueberry is my current favourite, it's a bit more euphoric than the GDP I had from October.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Tolerance to a strain after using it a while is a real thing. I used to get my cannabis from a blackmarket friend. I would get the same strain for the whole month.

Always when I would get a different strain the following month I would notice a difference. The new strain would give me a more intense feel. If the friend had the same strain again I would be disappointed because I wouldn't notice a difference. I could usually tell by the vapor taste or he would tell me its the same stuff.

Now I buy small quantities from the cannabis stores. That keeps the selection fresh. I usually alternate between at least 5 or 6 strains in a couple weeks time.

I use different vaporizers and that helps as well.

Ive been reading up on how to make the most of a TBreak. I usually have a 48 hour TBreak every so often. That works extremely well to reset things but if I'm having a pain flair that makes it hard.
I've been reading about using high CBD and very low THC for a few days as well.

Last edited:

Elbuort19

I vape every 30min to an hour and with 1 or 2 strains I quickly adapt and my usage goes up. I usually have half a dozen strains on the go which I mix and match randomly unless I'm trying to target a specific symptom. I find by doing this my tolerance stays low and I stay medicated.

baxter

Thats great you guys! Since Im in an illegal state its tough to get a large selection.

And I got a good price last time for buying a large amount at once but I did not consider strain lock

damm

Thats great you guys! Since Im in an illegal state its tough to get a large selection.

And I got a good price last time for buying a large amount at once but I did not consider strain lock

That's fine; find a good way to store it using Bovida packs or other methods. Stock up on many strains; if you buy an oz split into 4 and grind up only as much as you can use in the session. Then just break it out and grind away; microplaner could be fun on this.

I have a daytime strain, night time strain(s) as I mix and match ... for the conditions; and well quite frankly it works great to ensuring you get the most medication for your medicine. Reducing the strain lock worry as you keep changing up here and there... after you vape about 3.5grams put it aside for a few days and then come back when your ready

It's tricky because you need to build up a supply; but it's oh so worth it.

vaporist4LIFE

Canning jars are good also but you need to keep in a dark cabinet. You can add a Boveda package to keep it fresh. Smaller jars to keep small quantities of a large variety.
Amen . uv resistant glass , air tight . Good to go ! Preserved flower tastes so much better than dried out and dusty :)

vaporist4LIFE,
Reactions: baxter

howie105

Closets, 1 gallon pickle jars, brown paper bags and the occasional unscrew and sniff which is my favourite part. OK my second favourite part.

Top Bottom