• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Gear Titanium nails dangerous?

darkrom

Great Scott!
I want to try the honey hole, but the cheapo quartz with dome are working so good and I have el cheapo domeless quartz on the way lol.

I am a boro man myself. They can glow, but you have to get them crazy hot.

Pyrex has not been made out of Boro in the US since 1998 when Corning sold the Pyrex brand to World Kitchen. It is now tempered Soda-lime glass. I just ordered new Pyrex from Europe as its still Boro over there.

Weird. I literally used my boro nail less than 3 times. Then I waited a few days after its last use, picked it up while it was room temp and it just crumbled into my hand. I'll never go glass nail again, only quartz. Maybe titanium again someday, I've got my eyes on the dualiTI.

darkrom,
Reactions: mvapes

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
My boro ndo.ails are thick and I've never broken one. In most cases boro last longer, I've gotten lucky with a few cheap ones but for the most part they give after a while.

Trust me when I tell you that once you try a honey hole there's no going back.

It's like rocking a solo or something which for the most part does very well but then you try Herbie or an EVO. That feeling right there is what the honey hole will do.

darkrom

Great Scott!
I wasted my money on a walking dead zombie finger glass dabber and dish lol. I'll be stuck with my cheapo nails for a bit but oh well. When they FINALLY break maybe I can afford a honey hole lol.

darkrom,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Wanted to show you guys something scary. Here's a picture of 2 quartz domeless nails. One was 10 bucks on ebay, the other was 30 at a LHS.

20140225_122254_zpsuooj85op.jpg

Can you tell which one was low quality?

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
not here to bicker... carry on!
Actually you questioned my personal medication habits in my RezBlock thread and have made one more personal, off topic comment/joke to me in another thread. I see a pattern here.

t-dub,

Bouldorado

Wanted to show you guys something scary. Here's a picture of 2 quartz domeless nails. One was 10 bucks on ebay, the other was 30 at a LHS

I bought one of those ebay nails a couple weeks ago. I took maybe 5 dabs off it, before I decided to cut the head off and make a hash bucket for the lotus. Probably the worst nail I've purchased.

Bouldorado,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Well ebay nails doesn't say much. We aren't being very specific. I have a glass nail I got that barely lasted at all, and quartz ones. My fear is that "glass nail" is being used interchangeably. I think that MY experience with a glass nail is that its the most fragile waste of time ever, but my quartz survived intentional abuse to test them.

Now I don't have a brand name on my quartz, so the 3 quartz domeless pieces could be total shit. Its a gamble for sure.

If you want a quality nail you can pay for the name brand, but to me spending $20 on 3 domeless nails was worth the gamble. If they all suck, maybe the $100+ honey hole isn't a bad idea. But if those 3 domeless nails work great and break 1-2 a year, that would be a bad idea IMO.

You can buy brand name to get good stuff, or you can gamble on cheap stuff. Cheap glass is at least safe health-wise. I'd NEVER gamble on a cheap TI nail though. Big difference there.

If/when I get another TI, it'll likely be the HE dualiTI since I know it is safe, and it'll work good with the 1 rig I have.

darkrom,
Wanted to show you guys something scary. Here's a picture of 2 quartz domeless nails. One was 10 bucks on ebay, the other was 30 at a LHS.

Yuck, I think I have the cheapo one too. It will remain in retirement I reckon. I wish I was knowledgeable enough to diagnose what is actually going on. :hmm:

mrboote,

vapor33

Last edited by a moderator:
"Titanium is one of the so-called reactive metals. This means that it reacts to certain conditions—current or heat, in this case—by developing an oxide layer that appears brightly colored, even though there is no pigment whatsoever. "

http://ganoksin.com/blog/noel/magic-color-on-metal-titanium/

It looks like the TI power logo is oxidized on the nail. So the heat/electrical process used to stencil on the logo may be preventing any further color change.

Last edited:
mrboote,
Reactions: grokit
Top Bottom