Gear Titanium Nail care?

lreindl

Pacific NW
Hey FC, I have a v3 Highly Educated Ti nail that I bought for about 80. After about a week of heavy use, the fins won't move up and down the shaft. I tried dipping a toothbrush in 70% ISO but it didn't really work the way I wanted it to. I'm afraid of rinsing it in water because of rusting.

So how do you clean your Ti nail, and how often?

:peace:

lreindl,
Reactions: Tweek
I just hit the entire nail with the torch, I need to do it twice a day to keep the nail free of sticky oil.
I just take my nails to the salon.:lmao:

I agree with the torch suggestion. ISO works too, as suggested by the nullster.

Yes torching is probably the easiest and cheapest way to keep your nail clean. :doh: vaped at the time and not thinking clearly.

Still, there could be some nice active left in that ISO after evaporating.

kingofnull,

GR

I like to keep water away from my nails and skillets, IMO it only promotes oxidation. My 91% ISO is still 9% water, I will soak the shafts and the fins in ISO when not in use. I love ISO and coarse salt for the glass for a nice clean but I hate the shake and break part.

I am learning more and more that my TI that oil hits is like a cast iron pan that like oil soaking into it to make a protective layer. One TI nail bowl I had with a ton of oxidation on it tasted awful and was ready to throw it in the scrape pile of unused stuff when I tried using reclaim from an Omni cart to soak it in, after a few hours in a 175f oven then a burn off of the oil has rejuvenated it.

ESIT: Luke, I don't mean to steal from original question but your topic question asks more and I for one would like to know more about long term TI care and tips. If you don't mind?

GR,
Reactions: Shoff

Vapenwiser

Unapproved commercial account.
GR is dead on with the Cast Iron reference. Grade 2 Ti, is an imperfect surface when seen under a microscope; and the same way the carbon deposits fill in those spaces on a Cast Iron skillet is the same way that claim(or any oil) can help you "season" your nail. Seasoning the nail will def ensure a longer life for it and a way better test. Everytime I clean my nails dome or dome less, I first soak in ISO than I scrub with a wire brush, I bring the nail as close to new as possible, and than I season it all over again. The last 2 nails I used this technique on have held great taste and not oxidized much at all over a long period of time (about 7 months; daily use) what I do notice is that when the Ti is properly seasoned it is important to immediately clean any deposits or build up in the cup of the nail. If not it will turn black and ruin the taste.

Cleaning is annoying for the most part so season your Ti properly and hopefully you can avoid having to clean as much.

Just my .02 cents, Happy new Year everybody!

NoddingDonkey

Oil, Glass & I'm a bit of an ass
GR is dead on with the Cast Iron reference. Grade 2 Ti, is an imperfect surface when seen under a microscope; and the same way the carbon deposits fill in those spaces on a Cast Iron skillet is the same way that claim(or any oil) can help you "season" your nail. Seasoning the nail will def ensure a longer life for it and a way better test. Everytime I clean my nails dome or dome less, I first soak in ISO than I scrub with a wire brush, I bring the nail as close to new as possible, and than I season it all over again. The last 2 nails I used this technique on have held great taste and not oxidized much at all over a long period of time (about 7 months; daily use) what I do notice is that when the Ti is properly seasoned it is important to immediately clean any deposits or build up in the cup of the nail. If not it will turn black and ruin the taste.

Cleaning is annoying for the most part so season your Ti properly and hopefully you can avoid having to clean as much.

Just my .02 cents, Happy new Year everybody!

clean with 99% iso soak, or torch. regarding the season layer...as Task Rok says "Just use it"

It is a good idea to heat your bowl red hot before your first dab of the session, but remember to let it cool, and reheat to proper temp for dab to avoid boiling the oil too hot and producing an irritating hit. If you do this every session, you will not have any issues with your dish. Your V3 nail is segmented and modular, so remove the dish when cleaning the rest of the nail if using something other than fire. Do not let it get to a point where the shaft adheres to the dish (or counterweight, or fins).

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
Titanium does not rust or corrode. A very fine layer of oxidation usually occurs on the surface of Ti, especially at high heat. Washing your nail under water, scrubbing with salt, or soaking in ISO should not cause any oxidation. In fact, these cleanings may scrub away the thin layer of oxidation that is actually protecting the Ti underneath. Don't superheat your Ti to the point of brightly glowing red because this creates excess oxidation that can turn into an extremely fine dust. The fine dust is titanium dioxide and may be harmful if inhaled in large quantities. Fortunately, most nails are used with a water pipe and the water will help filter out the titanium dioxide, which would be inhaled very minimally before filtration anyway.

Your best bet is to clean your Ti with low heat that will help melt the resin which can then be wiped away. Steam cleaning will also work well. If you soak in ISO for reclaim just don't scrub vigorously. You actually want that very fine layer of oxidation.

If you are experiencing rust on any product that claims to be titanium, then that product may be using a lesser quality titanium alloy such as TiAl4V (which still should not rust, but should not be dabbed off). If that is the case then you need to stop usage immediately and contact the producer of the product.

NoddingDonkey

Oil, Glass & I'm a bit of an ass
Titanium does not rust or corrode. A very fine layer of oxidation usually occurs on the surface of Ti, especially at high heat. Washing your nail under water, scrubbing with salt, or soaking in ISO should not cause any oxidation. In fact, these cleanings may scrub away the thin layer of oxidation that is actually protecting the Ti underneath. Don't superheat your Ti to the point of brightly glowing red because this creates excess oxidation that can turn into an extremely fine dust. The fine dust is titanium dioxide and may be harmful if inhaled in large quantities. Fortunately, most nails are used with a water pipe and the water will help filter out the titanium dioxide, which would be inhaled very minimally before filtration anyway.

Your best bet is to clean your Ti with low heat that will help melt the resin which can then be wiped away. Steam cleaning will also work well. If you soak in ISO for reclaim just don't scrub vigorously. You actually want that very fine layer of oxidation.

If you are experiencing rust on any product that claims to be titanium, then that product may be using a lesser quality titanium alloy such as TiAl4V (which still should not rust, but should not be dabbed off). If that is the case then you need to stop usage immediately and contact the producer of the product.

:worms: There is no definitive evidence either way on the TiO2 topic and it's worse that trying to talk politics in an election year. There are benefits to super-heating (when not inhaling) just like there are potential risks. For the health-conscious patient, the simple solution is a quartz puddle nail...or shoot, get a pyrex nail if you're on a budget. If you crack it you'd be oxidizing your titanium nail anyway so hone them torch skills before you burn up $100, literally. I just love my V3 because it has that optional turbo dish or whatever. The upside down dart cart dealio. I like to pin the wax on the mountain top and get full vaporization with virtually no contact between my dabber and the dish. I have not shown interest in those new fits in to everything 10-29mm domeless nails Task just came out with, despite being the most convenient thing for a travel rig since sliced bread, specifically because I am likely converting to quartz when I run out of existing titanium swag.

I wouldn't worry about it too much...like most things in life. Look at this idiot using a quartz nail and a cheapo stainless dabber...that reminds me, I need to call my dentist in the morning.
tumblr_m1jxdf7AI91qg9u7ro1_1280.jpg

edit^not attempting to name call with the idiot remark, if this individual posts here (i have no clue honestly) I'm sorry, but you're still an idiot.

HE's blog deserves a link here http://www.highlyeducatedti.com/blog/ there are some good links on oxidation.

We should compile a list of useful links, organized in to categories, and sticky that shit

exit

I use a quartz nail and a cheap stainless dabber..... oh no!!!!

I just bought one of these though... am i on the right track?! http://www.ebay.com/itm/120883580990?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Sorry but after reading all this thread I'm still a little unclear - is it also damaging to wash a titanium nail in ISO?
I don't trust a steel brush because that always leaves metal dust behind.

With the quartz nail I would clean it with ISO+Salt in a bag and then rinse with cold water to get rid of the ISO taste.

exit,

Deadshort480

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with using a stainless dabber as long as there is no coating on it. I usually don't even let the dabber touch the nail so there is no harm. The material that the nail is made from is more important. Quartz, glass, or grade 2 Titanium are all fine choices.

Deadshort480,
Reactions: ShipDit

exit

Ah okay. Yes I just use an uncoated stainless denist tool and I don't let it touch the nail either.

I sadly broke my ashcatcher and quartz nail at the same time today so when I get the Grade 2 Ti nail it will go right into my bong. I guess I was mainly worried about metal dust from the Grade 2 Ti nail.

exit,

Deadshort480

Don't worry about the dust. A small amount will appear, but this is actually protecting the titanium underneath. Any dust that actually might make its way off the nail and into the air path should be collected by the water below. You would have to be constantly breathing in titanium dioxide for a length of time for it to affect you negatively.

Deadshort480

By the way, if you're at all mechanically inclined, you can order thin grade 2 Ti rod on Amazon and make your own dabbers. I've made a couple. Some don't turn out all that pretty, but they work well. You can shape them however you want and then flame color them. I've given the few that I made away except for this one.

exit

I like that! What tools are necessary? I don't have too much but I do electronics work so I do have some stuff...

PS it's fine if I wash Ti with ISO then rinse it off with a little water if i dry it off right after?

exit,

Deadshort480

ISO is fine to use on the Ti. All I use to make the dabbers is a belt sander and a Dremmel.

Deadshort480,

exit

Sorry to make it a little off topic, but i didn't want to make a topic just for this... I got my Grade 2 titanium nail today but im having trouble dabbing onto it? It used to me the case with my quartz nail the oil would "run off" of the titanium dentist pick.

exit,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Sorry to make it a little off topic, but i didn't want to make a topic just for this... I got my Grade 2 titanium nail today but im having trouble dabbing onto it? It used to me the case with my quartz nail the oil would "run off" of the titanium dentist pick.

My dabs don't stay on the dabber the second any heat reaches it, so I just stir it around on the hot nails flat surface until its depleted. * sorry if I misunderstand what your getting at with your issue.

dannkk

You just need to hold the dab in a spot where it'll drop on to the nail once it gets hot enough. You can touch the dabber to the nail, but I don't recommend it. Or maybe I should just say, try both ways. In my experience, it tastes better when you're not trying to vape the oil off your dabber.

dannkk,
Reactions: Roger D

exit

Nah i got it right after smokum explained it. I expected it to "run off" the nail like it does with a quartz nail.

exit,

debaserrrrr

How clean do your guys TI nails look? I try to take smaller dabs that I know I can vape efficiently, and I winterize my bho, so mine is pretty clean:

W83ktKI.jpg

CtJywta.jpg

debaserrrrr,

lreindl

Pacific NW
I remove all the head, fin, and counterweight on my HE nail. Fin, rod, and cap soaks in ISO then hit with a toothbrush. Counterweight just gets torched. Except that looks domeless so I'd just throw the whole hunk in some ISO.

lreindl,
Top Bottom