Titan vaporizer

JNW

Interesting and good stuff to know. Sounds like a re wrapped Samsung. I assume that amp reading was at the hottest temp setting? The Samsung that fits the description of that battery closest, which is the closest I can find, has a max of 10 amps. So yeah, interestingly enough its in the clear. Thanks for the link too. I'll definitely be keeping my eye open there. I found waaaaay cheaper on the Chinese sites, like a pair for the cost of the link I provided, but I dont like the idea of paying XXX to ship something back if something happens and having to wait forever for shipping. Had to do that with an Innokin E-Cig, sucked.

Sorry, I had a vent when I started using E-Cigs a few years ago and have been anal with batteries since and the smell is what I would imagine a "Robot Fart" would smell like.

JNW,
Reactions: Pipes

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
The heater is simple off or on via a thermocouple feedback. Therefore, the current is pretty constant through the heat cycle. (no variation from cold to hot)
Hope this helps.

Pipes,
Reactions: JNW

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@Pipes This is how mine looks.
dRJDyQ1.jpg
It decided not to work anymore after two weeks of satisfactory useage. The polyimide heater is 0.9 ohms. The white stuff feels like felt and has scorched slightly. I did a battery upgrade which helped and changed the way it was loaded which I will post a foot of when I sort one out.
dRJDyQ1.jpg
rmEfTUN.jpg

phattpiggie,
Reactions: KeroZen

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Wow, definitely made in a different plant. Seems like you roll the dice with this product. Did not really want to post this ugly pic but now think even the outer insulation is different. So same idea but different materials used. The hole pattern is even different.
IMG_20150331_203022_zpsxcvhofud.jpg

We need a way to identify the unit from the outside. I know I could not switch to Celsius mode even though the seller stated it does.
Very disappointing and scary.

OTOH, just got my tracking for my new Air.....woot.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
IUVVoSo.jpg

The resistance is 0.9 ohm, top left is a glass bead thermistor. If you only saw the insides you wouldn't know they were the same thing on the outside. I ran mine twice at full temp and blew thru the mp. The first couple of loads were tainted but it soon wore of and was pretty good at its job. Would I buy another? Well no I wouldn't after seeing yours and the length of time it ran for. Will put up a foto of loading not a foot.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I have to agree that the trust factor is out the window now for this unit. Knew this unit was made in multiple factorys. At least I read that somewhere. It's such a crime that the QC for making these isn't governed. How's the old saying go, only takes a couple bad apples to ruin the whole basket...?

JNW

Wow! I am so glad I was steered away from this thing. I decided to go with a FM pro till I find a Solo on sale as suggested.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
So I managed to do a more conventional heating element for this puppy. Works good but find it takes longer to heat soak. Meaning the temp comes up about the same but the vapor takes longer before it flows.
First thing I did was cleaned up the old element by scraping, ISO soak and wiping it to get all that burnt gunk off it. I used it for the insulator needed for the new AWG 23 "Cupronickle" element.
I choose this because of the thickness and gauge needed to get the length equivalent to 1 ohm.
It is also thick enough to crimp to a gold plated connector end to add the original wire to.

IMG_20150413_000121_zpsc7i0ko0e.jpg

Wrapped the wire around a tube slightly smaller than the oven. Torched it and quickly cooled in water. This made it like a coil spring with the memory effect. Cut the original element in half and wrapped a little over one wrap on the oven. Took the new coil element and "screwed" it onto the oven over the insulator. Made about 8 or so wraps. Used the second part of insulator over the newly installed coil. Bending the top part of element back down over the top insulator but under the last little overlap. This is also where I placed the thermo couple.

Finally, I used a piece of high temp silicon tubing. Rated with a working temp to 400 degree F. Boarder line I know. Was also considering "Cellucotton" held in place by heat temp O rings. Might solve the heat soak issue..? Maybe next time.

Ended up looking much better and more solid. Here it is under a 4 volt test. Hit 2.5 amps right on.
IMG_20150413_000157_zps5soa8wqk.jpg

So the day after I did this, I got me Air......Thinking this pup will be only seeing dust for quite a while...
Cheers,

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
So, before I had seen all this, a buddy borrowed mine and he liked it. He decided to get one for his dad too.
Now I fear they are doing damage to their health :(

Slow Draw McGraw,

FlyHigh

Wow was jus bout to order a titan 2.. Thanks for the info Pipes. Anyone know any legit affordable good portable vapes?

FlyHigh,

zorn

Hm, i also ordered an Titan 2... it did not arrive til now, but i am agog how it will work.

After seeing the pictures from the heating element, i am curious about mine.... the one with the cotton-like wrapping looks a bit less toxic...?

I really dont want to inhale toxic gasses while vaping, cause thats why i started vape...

Pipes, your new heating element looks amazing. You say, it works well but a little slower? Does not matter, maybe i could do the same thing... do you have stuff for this mod left? I dont think it would be easy for me to find anywere the wire, silcone, the tube etc. you have used...

edit:

an idea of me:
I could put the oven/heating element in the real oven (the oven in the kitchen ^^) let it inside a longer time.... maybe this will help to remove the possible toxic gasses...?
Or am i risking to damage the temperature sensor?

I do the same thing with new silicon kitchen ware to remove solvents from it.

Last edited:
zorn,

mjrLazer

zorn don't cry, it was bad item, i have 2 titans and one is working very well without bad smells from the beginning, second is broken becouse i wanted know how it's working :D this second titan i was using by 4 months, in the end my curiosity was soo large and i opened this titan, the heating element or this coil was like new.

I think this electronic in this small shit is very nice base for very good hand made vaporizer.

RaffOutLoud

My only hope is that me spending a little extra on a G Pro means I got one from the factory that puts together ones with the better looking guts. I've had it for about a month and a half, heavy heavy use, and there's absolutely no bad smell. Just pure herby goodness.

My only issue is that I'm on my third mouthpiece, all of them get microfractures that get worse over time and eventually crack. Luckily replacements are cheap!

Now I'm just waiting to see if the Grasshopper is legit and will decide on upgrading between that or Pax 2 for on the go and eventually get an Arizer or S&B portable for home. But until May and I work over the summer, I'm a broke college student who can't afford nice things :D

RaffOutLoud,

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
It's too hit and miss for me I stopped an order for 4 more after the electronics gave up. I have no safety issues with the heater on it as I've seen the same thing on more than one much more pricey units. I did away with the mp and went with a 10mm boro tube. The Titan screens fit inside nice and snug once you know how. The oven was bigger than 10mm so I took the slack up with a rolling paper or two until it was tightish. I bought some cellulose skins which looked really good. Neither the rice paper or cellulose showed anything other than a slight scorching so no health worries
e9w7T2y.jpg
oeBRUcc.jpg

phattpiggie,
Reactions: zorn

zorn

Well, then i will see how mine is working. Hopefully i dont get the ass cheap built model... ^^

And nice idea with the Glass-Mouthpiece. I am going to copy that, maybe the headshop in my town has some broken chillums left for free, so i can build a mouthpiece out of it.

zorn,

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@mjrLazer you may need to know your original heaters resistance. Pipes got 1.4 and mine was 0.9 your electronics may have been calibrated at something else. Google kapton/polyimide heat element you should find quite a few suppliers in China.

phattpiggie,
Reactions: KeroZen

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Just to clarify, @phattpiggie 's 0.9 ohm is closer to correct. Upon making my element and performing a second measurement, I got 1 ohm. My leads must not have been properly zero'd the first round. The circuit really doesn't care as long as it stays under the FET's (electric switch) max rating. It's a closed loop feedback via the thermo couple. More or less power will just vary the heat up time. 1 ohm must be close to original as the current draw remained at around 2.5 amp while heater is on.
Good luck.
Cool project as the circuit configuration is very good. I think I'd do the cellucotton thing as a heat insulator instead of my tubing. Can use high temp O rings to hold in place. Put one O ring around the element and feed the cellucotton back and forth until its all the way around. The cellucotton comes in a long continuous piece. Install addition O ring or two. The O ring size that is used in the Solo would likely be a good size. #113. Trim the cellucotton around to size.
Just some food for thought...

mjrLazer

i'm waiting for resistance meter, guys do you think is any cheap way to made pump to filling ballon from this titan ?

mjrLazer,

RaffOutLoud

So I've had the G Pro for a month and a half and three mouthpieces have cracked. I ordered another one (I have a backup for now) the other day but I realize today that I need something better until I can afford the Pax 2 (or the Grasshopper if they ever get shipped and [positive] reviews.) I tried one excellent LHS but sadly they didn't have any glass that would fit.

Another place didn't have anything loose that would work but the dude there was nice enough to take a small, simple downstem out of a cheap bong setup. He didn't know what to charge me but I wanted to pay something so he asked for $1.

It was every-so-slightly too loose in the oven but a single rolling paper was enough to get it snug enough to not fall out but easy to get in and out. There is very little scorching on the paper, the color you see is mostly coloration already in the oven from heavy use.

It holds a little less than 0.1g on a medium-coarse grind and a little over 0.1g on a fine grind. Tastes good, no paper-burning smell or taste, business-end of the glass never gets hot on my lips. The walls of the glass rest on several air-path holes in the over so draw-resistance is slightly increased but still easy.

The screens that came with the G Pro were too small to stay firmly so I got a screen from an old piece that hasn't seen the light of day in years. I cut it down just to the point that I could shape it into a cup and used two wooden skewers to set it in a snug position. When the glass is in, the screen rests about 3/4 of the way up oven.

I'm very happy with this simple mod.

1noTZ2g.jpg

JZZ3nli.jpg

hvaFTJb.jpg

Sungodv

Mine is still holding up fine and I don't taste anything but what I should.

Sungodv,
Top Bottom