tips for bho 3rd run

dodo

hey guys so just a couple quick questions before I try another bho run today....

1....can you over vacuum when trying to make shatter? should I pull it into a muffin and let it go down then full vac or slowly raise the vacuum as it purges slowly....I have seen the argument for both ways so kinda confuse.?

2. Should I freeze the bud I am doing a bud run already dried and ready to smoke....I have also read a lot on this and its a lil confusing if people mean yes they froze bud ready to smoke or a live plant...

3. is there something I am doing wrong cause everything I read says general rule is 1 can of butane per oz...last run I did was just a 1/2 oz (want to get this down on small runs before I go bigger)...but with that half oz I kept spraying checking to see if the coffee filter on the bottom is still sticky well last time for a 1/2 oz it took about 1 can and 1/4 of the next one.....why would it take that much more butane than suggested? can spraying a lot of butane evene make a difference? like shit really couldnt I run 100 cans cause you evaporate the butane off anyway????

4. this will be my 3rd run the first came out as dry crumble....the second I tried for shatter and about half of the patty stayed as shatter but some hardened up into a crumble (slightly moister than the first batch) however the first time I didn't freeze the second time I did and the second time I didn't get nearly as much as the first anyone have ANY sugestions on either getting a better yield OR really ANY advice would be appreciated I have been doing LOTS of reading and I know this info probilly is out there but I am just get ing confused cause there is SOOO much info out there and well lets put it this way I make custom knives when I stared years ago I learned a lot from the internet BUT the problem with internet any idiot can put what ever info they want...when I was learning about making knives I learned a lot of people think they know what they are doing but really have no clue I think the same thing happends here...

Oh 1 more thing your supposed to blast the butane as fast as it will come out of the can right? that's what I have been doing but.. I know you can also soak the weed in butane (like the thermos method) so I was thinking would it be better to spray slow so the butane stays in contct with the bud longer? but spraying slower you probilly wouldnt get the pressure you would full blasting any thoughts?

dodo,
Reactions: arb

Deleted Member 1643

Only used butane once (do QWET instead), so no help on butane-specific questions, but you should probably winterize anyway. For QWET, like to freeze-dry, but you can also dry with gentle heat. Haven't tried fresh frozen.

It can take some practice to refine your shatter-making skill, but once you get it down, the results are reproducible. If the vacuum is too high, you can start to boil off the THC even at low temps. It's generally not a problem - you'd need to use a very powerful vacuum pump. IME, you can't pull a vacuum for too long. Once the shatter stiffens after a few days, you just can't get any more solvent out of it.

Check out @Monsoon's advanced dry sift thread. To avoid budder/crumble, be careful to disturb the concentrate as little as possible. Personally, like to use PTFE and silicone sheets from Oilslick. Instead of scraping, make a little boat out of the sheet and transfer the ethanol to it for final reduction - it's more gentle. There's a post with pics toward the end of that thread.

Deleted Member 1643,
Top Bottom