Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I found a source that I hope pans out for glass stems, even though the cherry wood option completes the all wood air path. The price is very reasonable so I'm going to include one with each *Bare Bones* unit. I did increase price by just $5 to cover the additional cost.

https://vapwood.com/lil-bud-1

great quote *it's not really a vape without a mouthpiece, is it?*

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I'm talking about switches and very basic circuit design that apply to any mechanical mod, which these vapes are by e-cig standards. If we can't compare vapes, talk about material safety nor product design and performance, this forum is starting to feel seriously and arbitrarily limited to me...

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I'm talking about switches and very basic circuit design that apply to any mechanical mod, which these vapes are by e-cig standards. If we can't compare vapes, talk about material safety nor product design and performance, this forum is starting to feel seriously and arbitrarily limited to me...

That's all fine, certain things, maybe it was more the post about the button failure and new Milaana, I just felt like it was getting a little too close for comfort. Probably all good anyway

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Are you using the shorter gongs like Ryan uses, or going with the more standard length?

stickstones,

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
This unit is set up for 19.22 male wong. The cherry wood mouthpieces (recommended) will be 2 1/2 inches long (custom made by Alan) and the included glass stem (at bare bones price of $135) length should be the same (still waiting for delivery on the glass before I can give exact specs).

I've been informed by Alan that he can make virtually any style wood mouthpiece or adapter (include glass tube inserts into wood). In order to add custom mouthpieces or glass adapters to your order, simply choose the "All Wood" option, then drop us a line at vapwood420@gmail.com, let me know what you'd like, and I can invoice you the small difference in cost.

On another note, here's an image of the inspiration behind the name *Lil' Bud*, as he truly is my little buddy. His name is Reddington / Red / and most often Reddy.

HUT7aSm.jpg

Here's Red surfing the web...
iNeeI0G.jpg

Last edited:

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
@Bravesst stop giving Alan job, I am waiting him to finish something for me too ;)

Joking, really I am impressed with your wood skills and craftmanship in

svMiaPV.jpg

If I like iHeat as expected, lil bud will probably be next portable

@KeroZen i like your point on stainless button, would pay 5 more for it if this would be the only loss (no performance drop)

Cold walnut stem smells slighlymilk chockolate when slightly toasted, love color match...
on units above walnut stem would be killer (like 3dots)

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@Bravesst stop giving Alan job, I am waiting him to finish something for me too ;)

Joking, really I am impressed with your wood skills and craftmanship in

svMiaPV.jpg

If I like iHeat as expected, lil bud will probably be next portable

@KeroZen i like your point on stainless button, would pay 5 more for it if this would be the only loss (no performance drop)

Cold walnut stem smells slighlymilk chockolate when slightly toasted, love color match...
on units above walnut stem would be killer (like 3dots)

Thanks my friend. I have a real passion for woodworking, and those skills are coming in handy for my latest endeavor. Some final tweaks are in the process to add even more aesthetic and tactile appeal. I just got my Instagram account going and I'll be posting pics of things to come.

Bravesst,
Reactions: Prolusio

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I live on Long Island, and I'm sure it's been frigid just about everywhere, but this is the coldest spell I can remember. My shop is heated by a decent little electric heater, which usually gets me about 62 degrees, perfect shop temp. Lately it's been cold. Last night it was like 1 degree, I went in the shop this morning and knew I wouldn't last long.

It was time to convert the basement into an electrical / assembly / finish shop. Lots of stuff to be done without routers and table saws, all in the warmth and comfort. I swear I worked faster and everything fell into place. What was I thinkin'!?

Now it's time to relax, this is gonna be a busy week.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Heat wave hit Long Island, temp just about broke freezing. I'm still so effing cold, I opted to work mostly in my indoor shop again. Worked out because today was an assembly day, with things going slow at this stage, as I analyze every detail during the final assembly. There are a few things I'm still going back with, mostly minor details that really don't impact the user, just efficient build choices.

But there is one thing I am unsettled with... the vent holes. As far as function, there's a few ways to get the air flow I need to both draw and cool. The holes need to be at the level just under the coil. I started out with two, 4mm holes on each side of the unit (180 degrees), figuring that would provide a full flow, and it did. I wasn't happy with two things, a bit large and unsightly with lots of visibility inside.

So I switched it up, three vent holes, easier to hit the level because these are about half the size. Works a bit better. Still not super crazy about the look, but no visibility inside. Half solved.

Next I went 3 on each side but in a down slope. One at 2.5mm / 1.5mm and one dead center. Didn't do it for me. I also thought about more involved designs, but I need that 2mm level.

Here's the latest idea, two 2mm holes per side, one in front. Gives a bit perforated effect and I think I like it. Have to see how it works out... Who knows.

OPTIONS
1 per side 4mm
3 per side 2mm
2 per side one front 2mm
2 per side 3mm

Anybody have an opinion?

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Please pm me if ever the prototype vent hole units or other who don't make the cut take up too much room in your work space! :) I wouldn't mind it even if not final design .
I'm happy you moved assembly line and electronics inside the house and it's working out for you, comfort wise. Sure beats the cold , stay toasty my friend !

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
What about asymmetry? 3 holes on one side, 2 on front, and 1 on the other side? I think the three looks alright, but maybe 2 on each side and 2 on the front? I think that would look sharp and uniform.

Diggy Smalls,

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Lil' Bud Update

Been really busy, I'd like to say finalizing. Before I go into production of all the pre orders and waiting list, I want to bring some potential upgrades to fruition, as well as *dial in* everything. I am also focusing on the build process, so this can all happen as efficiently as possible.

I also want to avoid my early buyers from not being included on the final upgrades. So our projected ship date will be February, giving myself a 30 day window to allow for the variables of this process. I feel the wait will be worth it.

So here's how Lil' Bud's performing.
In my testing of prototypes, I am immediately aware of the speed at which the coil heats. Before the coil, I was hot and heavy on 20700 batteries, but now my batteries seem to last and last, with plenty of power, whether I'm using one of my prototypes or an iH. This fast on fast off helps keep the body of the unit pretty cool.

The second thing I'm aware of is the volume of heat that wafts from the oven into the mouthpiece. This is fully under your control with button depression and draw speed. And the heat is thick, not sharp or scorching.

Of course this assumes a clean stem and screen, medium to fine grind, and even tamp.

So the pre ordering is over, but nothing has changed much. As of now those who register on the waiting list for Lil' Bud will be contacted once all of my paid orders are filled.

I appreciate all of your continued support in bringing the Lil' Bud, and eventually Timber, to the FC community.
Mike

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
During these tough financial times, I've been trying to make Lil' Bud available to a larger audience. The brand new installment plan allows those who might not have $145 to plop down today, to purchase a Lil' Bud. You can put down just $50, and just prior to your unit being built / shipped, you'll be contacted / invoiced to pay the balance. You can even upgrade or downgrade your package selection, so feel free to change your mind.

For now, I have to limit this deal to the first 25 units, or I'll need to extend the projected turn around time.

Current projected turn around time is about 30 days.

https://vapwood.com/lil-bud-1

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
It seems logic and I like a lot what you are describing about heat management of your heater

Not having heat sinks (no glass) the heat is dedicated almost exclusively for vaporizing needs so you need less power to obtain same results, this means also that pulling a couple of hits here and there all along the day is easier than with glass where you need to preheat it too in order to vaporize

Another thing I like about throwing glass away, even if I know I am minority here, is that ground glass scratching against ground glass each time you put in pull out produces glass dust. this is a fact (even if most of you do not care about :) ) not an opinion and this was my deal breaker for similar vapes (like Tubo/mistvape which your heater, while being quite different, looks similar IMO /more than rbt ones/)

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@Andreaerdna That is something I've never considered, but glass has been eliminated from this equation. Even with a glass stem, it's glass on wood. I'm blown away by the excellent seal I'm able to get in the cherry wood with wood and glass stems. Using a special drill bit, and a series of cuts, the tapered hole matches a 19/22 mouthpiece just perfectly.

Just to add, @Alan is the brains behind the heater. His expertise designed and created the coil mesh heater. With his help, I've been able to bring it to a hand held portable. The more you get to know the coil (the more coils I form and test), the more you realize how powerful and efficient it is. This is really state of the art stuff, and I was very lucky to be introduced to it, actually schooled in it. I think we'll all benefit, even if just the FC community, in lots of ways.

I hope this to be a vape you collect, treasure, and make your daily driver workhorse, because it's built to perform above all else. And I agree, the elimination of glass has turned out to be quite a huge benefit.

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Boom! Installement payment done!!! Yeah, Baby!
Sent email, from two email addresses , haha.. please use whichever one for replies, lol my apologies! Thank you for making installement plans as such by the way, $50 usd = $64.57 Canadian... to think we are par at times , unreal .. cheers!

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I think the installment plan is a win-win. I get funded to cover some costs, parts, R&D, and the bulk of the payment is due just before I ship. I think this will produce the best possible result. You can even upgrade or downgrade packages. If you put $50 down on a Bare Bones, but later decide you wanna go All Wood with Batteries, no problem. I'll email before shipping, giving you the chance to make changes, then adjust the invoice.

Today was one of those R&D days... just because stuff is working well, there were some parts / ideas that never left the drawing board. Some, at second glance seem impractical or superfluous, but a couple need to be explored. This in no way changes what's locked in stone, just need to take a day per week and devote to improvements, regardless how small.

Unfortunately, I got a bit side-tracked today with a fender bender. People get crazy when snow is piled up. No big deal, just a nasty gash over 2 doors on the passenger side. Some guy inched up on me as I was passing him. I more heard it than even felt it.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Just posted a couple of pics on Instagram
Working on some improvements. The battery terminals, compartment, has always been the biggest challenge. I worked on the design for months, and finally came to a very good design, but wanted to try, what I suspected, might be a better option. Giving it a shot has proven beneficial. Better connectors mean a better connection, giving you full access to the battery's power. One or two more *additions* have to be attempted, you'll hear about them soon enough. Oh yeah, I knew I was making prototypes so I just tested out some new vent hole pattern. Whaddya think?

I have stock of cherry short stems, and included one in a pic. The unit is cherry / walnut, my standard right now.

I'll post one pic here, a couple more on Instagram.
YfU1FCl.jpg

Top Bottom