Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

sickmanfraud

Before the mudslinging, you asked about people who prefer Cherry. As I mentioned by the sign up I am interested in an all cherry unit made from the same piece of cherry.

There are no shortage of people who are jealous of success. Ignore the "noise" and let the Lil Bud speak for you.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Well, there seems to be a disturbance on FC this morning. I've just read the last page or so of this thread and the rule-breaking posts are boggling my mind. I'm going to go through and edit/delete some the off-topic bullshit that has been recently posted and may hand out some warning points in the process. I haven't even had my coffee yet. :disgust:

In the meantime, I would like everyone to remember that we are here to discuss vaporizers, not speculate on the motivations of other members and insinuate shilling is going on. If you think a post breaks forum rules, please report it but do NOT post in kind in the thread. Those that continue this OT discussion will risk warning points and thread bans, so please keep that in mind when you post.

Remember: Talk about the vape, not each other.

Thank you.

:peace:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
The reason @PAM didn't get one of the first batch because he wasn't in the first ten. He's just a loyal fellow wood worker / lover, who's already experienced @Alan's products, and anticipates something similar.

Now, @sickmanfraud , you've inspired me to really get into the *same piece* unit. On this batch (lost another one today due to funky grain), about half or so are same piece. I came up with a system and followed it, and it worked. So for this batch, all the Walnut / walnut units are same. Obviously the Walnut / cherry units are not. I have stock set aside for the back plates from the same board. I'll have to rematch the grain, but that shouldn't be too hard. So all the back plates should match. I'm not charging anymore for it on this batch, but it is some extra work, working with much smaller pieces, tracking everything. I'll make it an optional upgrade.

Last edited:

mephisto

As you wish SJF, I used the Oregonglassblower stem to check out LB through glass and it works to cool the vapor just a bit more than the stock wood stem. It was cool to see how tight the tolerance of the wood joint is. The 18mm glass stem seated clean without a hint of wobble. I also tried a VTC5 battery and noticed no difference in performance. As far as screen placement goes, I inserted the stock screen just to the edge of the wood stem. The cup of the screen is facing the heater when inserted. I did not pack the stem, just a gentle tamp with a finger. The LB can be a face punch if you preheat (2-3 seconds on the button before inhaling). However, it also will allow you to sip at your stem if you find the right combination of draw speed and button fingering....as instructed by @Bravesst initially. For those who may be fearful of combusting, I suggest a less than full charged battery cell to get yourself in tune with how fast/much the LB comes up to temperature. No ABV pics from this cat, but I believe the LB will please the cloud chasers and the micro dose crowd alike. I will weigh this upcoming bowl pre and post hoot to see what kind of weight class I am punching in.

edit for post hoot comments....So loaded .075 nug, no grind. Got 10-12 lighter vapor hits ( my lawn is moist....) weighed .045 after so I loaded the light colored duff into the flame powered convection hooter and got 1 final wispy hit.....did not bother to try a get dark abv, when it's spent, it's spent.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Productive day, after a crazy morning. Also wanted to mention that I'm getting lots of waiting list sign ups. If I don't get back to you, rest assured I have your registration. Looks like about 5 to 6 weeks for new waiting list sign ups.

I got done pretty much everything I set out to. Down to 10, but that's it, won't lose any more. It was all because of the crazy grain.
rib2T2H.jpg

I lost 2 more like this one.

bkallSP.jpg

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
In the future, I'm going to do my best to find crazy grain. Walnut has that dark / light wood in one piece feature. It's really cool looking, but tends to split apart, be fragile, crack, tear out. Cherry seems to be a bit more constant, but sometimes you can get nice swirly wide grain patterns. Cherry sneaks up on you over time. I haven't messed with maple because my hardwood guy hasn't had any really cool figured maple. It's coming. I'll do the best I can do get my hands on nice stock, and I'm pretty close to a trip to the lumber yard. Gnarly Walnut / Wavy Cherry / Figured Maple That multi colored walnut piece is rare.

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
@Bravesst Those single piece units came out nice. Well done. :clap:

@Zabou I look forward to your review
Of course no restrictions on buying a vape or when you can review one.

@P.A.M. Dude, I was mainly busting your chops cause you have been going out of your way to promote this vape. Sorry if I offended you or came off too douchey. :peace:

@Stu Sorry you had to edit one of my posts. My bad.
:cheers:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Never too soon to ask @Mulchmaker (love your avatar). Timber target date is Summer 2018. My trip to visit Alan will definitely feature some Timber talk, as we put Lil' Bud through some rigorous testing. There is another project that we will be discussing as well. I'm actually getting quite a few Timber waiting list sign ups.
-----------------------------------------------------------
What's new on the website
Lil' Bud Total Package
2 wood stems of your choice, 2 batteries, 2 stir tools, battery gauge, 10 safety tabs, an EZ tube (doob tube makes loading easier), 6 screens

Matching Switchbox / Backplate
Just like in the pics, the unit, switchbox (and backplate) are all cut from a single piece of stock.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I also wanted to address some user specs that I've found from my testing, enjoying Lil' Bud.
I load at about .08 to .1 (max) of nicely prepped herb. Not all herb is created equal, not even in the same batch. With some nice bud, everything just right, I can sip away for quite a while. Now, if I'm doing a video or trying to rip, it's not the same (and that's not how I usually vape, I'm a sipper, taking may small sips). How long can I sip away, maybe 10, 15 minutes, somewhere in the 10 to 15 sips. The key to nice sipping, I find, is not waiting too long between sips. Everything gets cold and kinda *cakey*. Nothing a stir can't rejuvenate.

I'm not sure why, but sometimes I can sip away for quite some time and not have to stir. My ABV ring is perfectly round, and almost the circumference of the stem itself. I still stir to finish it off.

Rips per bowl is less. I don't like coughing, and if my throat / lungs get irritated, it's over. But in my limited rip testing, maybe half of the sips.

Batteries seem to last pretty good. I can get 4, 5, even 6 small stems. But it is really not about how many stems, because session length can vary per stem (or how early you dump the load), and consequently have a different impact on battery life. So if I'm sipping away all night long, watching netflix for 3 hours, and start with a fresh battery, I don't need to replace until the next day. If the battery was being used all afternoon, I may have to swap, but could probably push it through the night down to 350 something. Below 375 or so, I can usually tell the battery is waning, and it might take a drop longer to generate vapor.

If you have a waning battery (375 to 350), don't draw for a couple of seconds as you hold the switch. Pay attention to what you're feeling in your mouth as far as vapor concentration / temp / taste. Nice slow pulls, let the heat sink into the herb. Be careful when switching back to a full battery, and be ready to adjust. I can honestly say, I haven't combusted much. Every once in a while I stopped paying attention to what I'm doing and I get some char. It's really not a big deal, dump the load (sometimes a little char will help dry things up, making cleaning easier), and start over.

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
@mephisto Maybe not doing quite as well as folks with their new Lil' Buds, but we're safe and warm and have electricity. But this was a bad one-ocean walls that have not been breached since the Perfect Storm were breached. But hey, climate change isn't real so those of us who are coastal dwellers have nothing to fear.

And that Lil' Bud looks very cool even when it's all tangled up in glass. Congrats.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
After only ten units left my shop, I am ecstatic to read these positive reviews. Batch two and beyond will only get better. I guess the simple video at least covered basics. I'll try and shoot another video after I finish this batch. Feel free to chime on on what you'd like to see in my next video, instructionally speaking.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
@Andreaerdna it is no longer being made. You can have mine if you want, I have far too many water devices.
Nice @mephisto , what a class act! Happy for you you have a new Lil' Bud. Congrats to you and @HindelangGG !

Sweet score on the water tool @Andreaerdna , I should have asked first :lol: that is a very cool bubbler!

@Bravesst , very beautiful walnut batch ! They all look great . I don't have any ideas for next video but maybe use that wild walnut showpiece if using a different 'Bud for the video

:mmmm:

No offence taken @SloJimFizz
I don't buy vaporizers often and although Lil 'Bud is new and unproven, it answers all the things i look for in vape and I'm quite confident it will answer my needs. consider me the @Squiby of Lil' Bud's if I seem to over do it at times . I am keeping my vapcap though Squiby! In fact I'll borrow it to a good friend who has trouble "believing" in vaporizing..

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good Morning!

Shop Update
I'm in a good place with my 10 units. Everything is pre-assembled and being made to look pretty. Next, rough out for wiring, terminals, magnets, and build back plates. Then it's the big final assembly, where everything gets installed and wired up. The final assembly determines how well the unit will function. The coil needs to be installed perfectly and stay that way.

ZRK4EFn.jpg

What sets the coil apart is its cylindrical shape. Approximately .5" tall, and 16mm in diameter, it has a total of six layers, or rings. It is the exact shape of its compartment but just about 3 or 4mm's smaller. This is a very efficient set up to allow heat to be pulled directly into the stem/herb.

Also the mesh is never really bent, but gently rolled or rounded, allowing the fine wire mesh to maintain its structural integrity and stay stiff, with no weakened bends, movement, keeping its shape, not fraying apart, supplying even heat. The coil is attached to a 1" wood disk from below. An ingenious configuration fixates the coil at about 1/8 up from the disk. I've posted the pics of the exact set up. Mounting the coil on a wood disk allows me to create a perfectly formed coil that stays that way, maintains it shape and integrity (ensuring full function) through the installation process.

Let's hope we get there today. If not tomorrow.

Last edited:

HindelangGG

Hey guys I would like to make an early review for the waiting people out there.

I had optimistic expectations about the lil bud from build quality, ease of use, cleaning part but I was a bit sceptical about the uneven ABV from earlyer pictures. So I wasn't sure about the performance part of it and how it would be with possible combination.

But this lil fella blew me away as soon as I got it into my hands. The build quality seems sturdy and everything fits nice. The stem fits perfectly into the heater hole. And the stem looks in person better then what I expected from the pictures.

The loading of the stem is easily done with the pick tool (which is easy but functional) I would recommend to not fill it up to the fullest because you gonna get a problem with stiring. You can actually but pretty little loads in there as soon as you can compress it enough so it doesn't fell out of the stem.

I never owned a on-demand unit but already had: aromed 4.0, Pinnacle pro, flowermate pro and currently I have these: sticky brick Jr., S&b plenty and crafty, starry 2
So this was a new field I step into but the start was easy I hadn't any problems because I saw braveest's video. Just hit the button and pull, release as soon as it gets warm or to warm for you. After like 8 bowls I never combusted because it gets to warm on the mouthpiece before you combust. My girlfriend got it combusting 1 time because she really wanted cloud's and was going for it.
The comparable Vapes I will take are the sticky brick Jr. And the crafty(I know it's unfair because of the money difference and that for sure is true but it's just a vape a lot of people have and can compare to)
The looks are better then the crafty for sure but the sticky brick Jr. Looks just as perfect as the lil bud. Both beautiful wood units but the lil bud wins as soon as you insert the stem the first time.
Performence wise I like the on-demand style actually a lot now. Short heat up and nice quick seassion. But the stiring is a annoying thing for me but you get used to it and you still enjoy. The taste isn't as good as either of the other both. I couldn't find the spot for the best taste at the begining. Still tasty but not the best taste. Cloud's depend on you and how far you wanna push it. I didnt had the biggest so far but that's on me letting of the button earlyer. The vapor can get hot a few times on the mouthpiece. Even a little uncomfortable. The rest of the time the vapor is pretty smooth. And this lil fella hits like a train. Usually my plenty was the hardest hitter for me but this got me really hard.
I wasn't expecting the flavour/vapor compartment to be perfect or any thing just good easy use and that's what I got. It depends on your own ability to use it (which is pretty easy so far for me).

The whole cleaning process is easy and I would recommend everyone out there to get the s&b brushes they are perfect for this vaporizer.
The battery compartment looks nice with the plate on and without. The little battery blocking wood thing looks cheap but as soon as you use it you love it. Perfect for me.
The switch for me has a kinda wired press point but that's because I am picky as **** here. Just wanted everything in my head about this unit to be in there.
I am a bit confused because I already got like 5-6 bowls with 1 LG hg2 batterie and it still going on. Just need to press the button before I pull and go with a slow pull.
And by the way this thing is having a strong smell. Even more then the sticky bricky. For me no problem but there might some out there.

So overall I am freaking happy to got one of these it's fun to use. Its beautiful and just awesome quality. I would really recommend this one and I am gonna go on the timber wait list.
LrEKdo2

Hope I could help you out there

Edit: forgotten to talk about the ABV.
It was almost as even as the crafty so I was amazed of it. Nice extraction and if wanted I could make a picture next time

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@HindelangGG

Thanks my friend, I know that review wasn't for my benefit, but much appreciated. As I crank out batch 2, it's nice to know that Lil' Bud is gonna make a lot of people happy.

I never got past finish work, magnets, backplate. You can get lost in the finish work with Walnut. Almost there, but I'm learning to take my time, much less work in the end.

Except for a few small jobs, final assembly is really all that's left.

Top Bottom