Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Thanks for all of your hard work, Mike. Got my Lil Bud today and already enjoyed an after work appetizer. This vape seems much quicker to heat than the other non-regulated convection vapes I have owned/used.
I was running LB with an exhausted battery so I was able to hold the button for a long time and get a feel for the coil response. Once I swapped out to a fresher cell, the LB produced very nice quality vapor. I know volume and production will only get better with a fully charged cell. The wood stem is a good choice for me, it is a cool change from glass stems. The full Cherry unit is beautiful. Great job @Bravesst !

Thank You! Glad you were the first Lil' Bud review. It heats quick, but you're right, exhausted batteries are user friendly in that regard. I like to swap relatively early, now with my tester, usually 375 ish. It takes a long time to drain down to 375, and it keeps things consistent.

Another note on batteries. You learn a lot when you do all this testing (and can ask @Alan). I found that older batteries would read 370, but still seem shot. I just opened up some new batteries, and it's still making nice vapor at this readout.

With the below readout on a brand new battery I was able to reload and create the ABV in the bottom pic. A little more time on the button, but still an easy session.

DNQSXfY.jpg

pBrCRlS.jpg

SAL7oW9.png

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Cool , Lil' Bud is now in the Portables section! One click less to do !

Nice abv, great to see it will get it where I want it ! It's a manual transmission after all .

Nice walnut !

I'm sure other pics and videos will emerge in time or soon , probably some folks ripping on their Lil' Buds right now :peace:

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
TODAY'S PLAN
Not to slow down, I'm very excited about batch 2 (Walnut batch 1). There is such a variety of grain patterns / colors in one 5 foot walnut board. I need 10 units, I roughed out for 14. Already lost one, as the gnarly grain can be tricky. I feel good going in with 13. All battery mortises are cut. I am very pleased with the efficiency, quality, pace. Next it's off to the router table for the back plate slot and softening edges. Next, drill press, where I need to perfectly align 4 holes, on one center line, from two directions, to the perfect depth. Actually, after the first hole, the switch box is cut out, then the 3 remaining holes are drilled. That's today's job. If all goes well, I might get started on the switch boxes and back plates.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
She will take walnut as opposed to waiting.:rockon::myday:

(I will tell her it is Cherry)

That's funny , lol.
Invite her the join the forum , having used your other vapes, she could surely add valuable input. It might get her even more excited for the Lil ' Bud though.

the cherry is growing on me , most white woods do "yellow" in time , didn't know the cherry took a red'browning tint as such.

Only main difference I can see between walnut and cherry is that walnut as open pours . I knew that but didn't think about it till last night . Wonder if Mike as a way to minimize them in the finish .

Previously Building guitars with tonewoods, I grew to appreciate all woods , hence making a wood choice very hard for me. walnut actually makes very nice sounding acoustic guitars . The sound is a cross between maple (bright, for picking ) and rosewood (warm/soft, for strumming) . Makes for a very "all around" balanced and present tone .

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
As you can imagine, there is a bit of nervous anticipation on Launch Day. I want everybody to take part in the really cool experience that is Lil' Bud. That's why I made it, to make MY best vape, improve upon what has been my previous experience over the last 4 or 5 years, and share it at a fair price. I am pretty confident I did that. Having help was key. I didn't waste time getting from where I was, to where I am now. So being nervous is kinda normal.

Then today I get an email about a REDDIT review. Wow, I'm blown away. What an awesome, well written, description of Lil' Bud. I couldn't do a better job myself, literally. I hope you don't mind, I started a review section on the website, and posted it along with @mephisto 's. Thanks to you both!

In case anyone wants to read it, I posted it word for word - Copy / Paste.
https://vapwood.com/reviews

Last edited:

kaisersosay415

As you can imagine, there is a bit of nervous anticipation on Launch Day. I want everybody to take part in the really cool experience that is Lil' Bud. That's why I made it, to make MY best vape, improve upon what has been my previous experience over the last 4 or 5 years, and share it at a fair price. I am pretty confident I did that. Having help was key. I didn't waste time getting from where I was, to where I am now. So being nervous is kinda normal.

Then today I get an email about a REDDIT review. Wow, I'm blown away. What an awesome, well written, description of Lil' Bud. I couldn't do a better job myself, literally. I hope you don't mind, I started a review section on the website, and posted it along with @mephisto 's. Thanks to you both!

In case anyone wants to read it, I posted it word for word - Copy / Paste.
https://vapwood.com/reviews
Watch the orders to start to flying in.

kaisersosay415,

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
I'm guessing that was @G1000 with that review. Why no holla back here? :p

Sounds like a nice christening of the Lil Bud last night. Sweet one piece/matching unit you received. That's what I'm hoping for.
What batteries are you rolling with and about how many stems per charge before needing to switch batteries?
About switching batteries, can it be pried out easy enough with a finger tip. Not sure if I want to use the ol' palm shot to remove the battery every time.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
As I grind out batch 2, some minor *adjustments* are being made. I didn't even realize that there were any refinements to be had, but what's half a mm between vapes.

Walnut is different, more difficult to work with in this capacity. Maybe it's just the gnarly ass shit I picked up, but 2 brave soldiers dropped already. Another grain issue, damn this was some cool looking stuff, but it just crumbled at the cut, and some plane tearout (I think), and he hadda be put out of his misery, poor guy. So... we're down to 11, still have my test pilot / crash dummy, but most of the structural woodwork is outta the way. Switch box and back plate are next.

I'm actually looking forward to the electronics and assembly. The pace changes, I move inside, tools get smaller, I sit down. Nice to have both elements.

So everything going on schedule for Walnut Batch One. I'll be sending out emails to you lucky souls in a day or two. I'm not sure of list numbers right now, but it looks like February 10th is the cut off for batch 2.

G1000

Flavor savorer
Haha yes @SloJimFizz that was me with the review. I uploaded it on vaporents first because I wanted my FC contribution to be a little more thought out. To answer your questions I’m using the Samsung 30Qs (pink ones that Mike recommends bought from IMR). I can get probably 3 whole stem packs out of a battery but I haven’t actually started any batteries from 100% and gone to 0%. Regardless the 30Qs give the perfect amount of power to the unit not too much not too little and yes they can easily be taken out if you have fingernails.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@Bravesst i didn't want to attack you in any way I hope it didn't looked like it. Its like you said you made an honest product and the whole experience of the way to the finally product is a huge reason why I bought this product. Its just that it's like a 12 out of 10 review and I don't trust reviews like this... I put my trust into you and Alan
And for sure I won't regret this purchase

No worries my friend. I try and not pay attention to all the bullshit. Just lent them rant.
The thing is, there's been lots of mud slinging out there. I am kind of put in a position to defend my product - and my ethics. The product I don't mind defending. I won't defend my ethics.

Back to the product. Some kind of Noreaster hitting Long Island. Good day to stay home and build all day. I'm still out in the wood shop finishing up. I hope to get back inside for phase 2 soon. The goal of phase 2 is assemble bodies to switch boxes, no electronics. This is sort of a pre-assembly that allows me to make sure everything fits perfectly, and adjust as necessary. At this point I also apply some hot beeswax.

Next phase is my favorite, full assembly. Coils are already made, so it's a matter of installing battery contacts, coil, switch.

So for you batch 2 ppl, next week for sure, hard to say if my faster pace on batch 2 will continue during the final assembly process where things take some time to get just right. No shortcuts.

So I can't say whether it will be early or late week. By Sunday I should be able to predict. I don't think the testing process needs to be as extensive this time around. I'll put each unit through it's paces, and that can be a day's work as well.

Looking forward to my sophomore batch, much less pressure on me. I feel like I can settle into a nice vape building groove.

Lazy Lighting

Any more reviews? Thought this thread would be swamped right now with all the first batch folks gushing.

Lazy Lighting,

Hollabackatcha

i'll get one up soon. I want to spend a little more time with the Lil'Bud before I review it. I will say it drops the hammer on you real quick. Also, I will run the 30Q and VTC5s for comparison.

Last edited:

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
I'm not sure of list numbers right now, but it looks like February 10th is the cut off for batch 2.
So pre paid before Feb 10th are in the next batch. Looks like I may be in on this round. :cool:

Any more reviews? Thought this thread would be swamped right now with all the first batch folks gushing.

Thought so too.
Like to hear @mephisto take after a few sessions with differing stems and batteries.

@Hollabackatcha got one the day he joined here...go figure. No word back from him yet.
Edit: there he is....:wave:

Last edited by a moderator:
SloJimFizz,
Top Bottom