thoughts on these two studies?

Bouldorado

I think the studies' conclusions are legitimate: basically, persistent adolescent cannabis use can impair cognitive development.

I've heard similar statements mentioned many times before, and in my anecdotal experience, it doesn't seem like a far cry from the truth.

Furthermore, the author doesn't seem to be a zealot, nor is he in a much of a position to benefit financially: "Dr. Jack Stein is Director, Division of Services Improvement, Center for Substance Abuse
Treatment (CSAT), SAMHS" (source)

IMO this is a well-written and unbiased article.

drfe3

turk

turk
....sorry if my answer doesn't fit into your narrative....I'm in my six decade and frankly I'm sick and tired of these "studies"...want to "analyze for yourself"...fine , analyze...but if you ask a question...you should be ready for all sorts of responses ...especially on a site like this...or maybe you can perform a "study" on that...

herbivore21

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/135/7/2245.full
http://www.pnas.org/content/109/40/E2657.full

these are the two studies I'm talking about, I was wondering people's opinions on how the studies were conducted and their results (in more depth than "these are crap, weed makes my life better)

Trying to analyze studies for myself and i am wondering how you dissect them
Ok, so as someone who has received an education in psychology/neuroscience and works as a scientist in the former field.

The key is not to listen to the bullshit in the first news article. Go straight to the scholarly articles linked by the OP.

The first article was written by psychology researchers in a university that I know researchers from, and am familiar with. This is a scientific study from a peer reviewed journal which if you read the abstract is very careful to highlight that cannabis can be harmful to white matter in adolescents, and that this can be mitigated by waiting until one is older to first use cannabis.

These are scientific articles, the authors will care much less about social taboo against cannabis. Their job is to say what its effects will be, regardless. Always look for the qualifying language in journal articles. I drum this into my students every day.

The recreational use of any drug in adolescence is not advisable. Neuroscientists have known this for a long time. This does not mean that you will necessarily have a terrible outcome if you do use drugs recreationally during adolescence. But given the information we have, we have good reason to believe that you will be more susceptible to these neurological risks if you do this.

The second study is one which also is from a credible academic source and corroborates the findings of the first to some extent.

Remember guys, just because these studies bring up this information does not mean you are necessarily developmentally delayed if you started smoking/vaping young.

I started smoking j's at age 11, I teach university students and research as a scientist now.

YMMV

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everybody,

That's nice to have discussions going on but while "stoners" debate i can't but think that perhaps a new revised/refreshed version of prohibition prepares to rise... IMO it's the roots we need to aim for, lets question the legitimity of this abuse of power and constitution! Get ready because even if it's coded as a law (supported by international treaty!) that doesn't mean the abuse is anymore rightful. So, once we've reached that step we can only remind the bigots what wrong they did, do or still do which doesn't stand objective scrutiny - and i guess they know it! We're talking about something strong like a religion and they're not on our side... It's a bit idealistic to think those hateful people might stop but others may listen.

So watch out if governments start targetting vaporizers!! That would be some serious cause for worry since the healthier aspect is what it's supposed to be about, but who knows what the future holds!...

:peace:

SpruceGruve

Bag of sand in hand,Eyeing up the gold statue
Steve jobs smoked a joint every day while developing his multi million/trillion dollar business.
Just like Ted turner seting up nbc.....bunch of idiots there.....

Steve jobs also dropped out of college

Last edited:
SpruceGruve,
Reactions: grokit

Caligula

Maximus
I really don't think citing two outliers like Jobs and Turner is a fair cross-section to base any sort of conclusions on. I by no means am supporting any position here but I'm willing to bet there are more broke college dropout stoners than there are billionaire college dropout stoners.

Just sayin.

SpruceGruve

Bag of sand in hand,Eyeing up the gold statue
Ya there are lots of broke alcoholic college drop outs aswell.....now that you mention it there is a lot of broke college drop outs that never tried drugs or alcohol.

They throw out biased study's I'll throw out biased info too...

SpruceGruve,

Caligula

Maximus
Last edited:

turk

turk
.....absofuckingloutelu.....and anyone who's born....dies...of SOMETHING....show the "correlation" between living...and death..

turk,

Caligula

Maximus
c3d0981ae770f926eedf4eda7505b006.jpeg

Egzoset

Banned
Euh...

Oh c'mon! I can't believe we as a community still need to care. I mean, what would have happened to the dumb "stoners" out there if they had received fair education relatively to alcohol - although the later is addictive and quite harmful both to the individual and society, while cannabis certainly doesn't compare IMHO.

All things equal i'm convinced cannabis doesn't represent the danger for children and society which the anti-cannabic warriors like to pretend it is. But anyway we know it's all been a lie since the economic crash, more or less...

One other thing i'd like people to consider is how we could see cannabis through aboriginal cultures where this would be associated to magic, i suppose. Not that far from spirituality...

Now, are our opponents pretending that they have the right to ban cannabis from whole civilisations/cultures? In who's authority?...

What if i demand that my right to explore my ancesters ways is respected?!!

Last edited:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Euh...

Oh c'mon! I can't believe we as a community still need to care. I mean, what would have happened to the dumb "stoners" out there if they had received fair education relatively to alcohol - although the later is addictive and quite harmful both to the individual and society, while cannabis certainly doesn't compare IMHO.

All things equal i'm convinced cannabis doesn't represent the danger for children and society which the anti-cannabic warriors like to pretend it is. But anyway we know it's all been a lie since the economic crash, more or less...

One other thing i'd like people to consider is how we could see cannabis through aboriginal cultures where this would be associated to magic, i suppose. Not that far from spirituality...

Now, are our opponents pretending that they have the right to ban cannabis from whole civilisations/cultures? In who's authority?...

What if i demand that my right to explore my ancesters ways is respected?!!

Frankly, I can only speak for myself and anecdotal evidence that I have observed personally. That said, my experience tells me unequivocally that moderate cannabis use over the long term of many many years starting at adolescence DOES NOT affect memory OR intellectual ability in the least. Matter of fact as I know it to be, cannabis can and does potentially & actually ENHANCE memory, intellect, and mental acuity. Now, as far as alcohol and cigarettes are concerned, based on my own experience and observations, long term use DOES adversely affect memory and intellect, as well as other crucial things like health and mental acuity. Can I prove what I believe to be true against current medical authority (which is largely politically guided and paid for)? NO! Only mounting decades into the future will whittle away slowly but surely at the ignorance and dogma surrounding cannabis use. We, the many sharp-witted intelligent mentally acute FC associated members will stay the course we're on in the pioneering spirit that will prevail in parting the clouds of ignorance making way for the light of truth to shine through. Long winded statement, I admit, but had to say it all before I forgot my chain of thought.;) Carry on and tally ho!

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Snappo,

Frankly... ...tally ho!

OKay, i buy! We've got a movement, now we need a "mascotte", euh...

Hummm...

:hmm:

Watch out: lots of wild animals out there!!

For example, this could be the mascotte on some e-Cig/smoker web site:

ixbhw5.jpg

I also saw dinosaures which just like combustion became obsolete, eventually.

And today a growing number of citizens throughout the world come to realize that those damn anti-cannabic biggots are finally discovered to be just that: obsolete. The era of darkness is ending and we may see it happen! So, hold on...

Uruguay is only the begining - i hope.

Meanwhile in Canada:

Last edited:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Salutations Snappo,

OKay, i buy! We've got a movement, now we need a "mascotte", euh...

Hummm...

:hmm:

Watch out: lots of wild animals out there!!

For example, this could be the mascotte on some e-Cig/smoker web site:

ixbhw5.jpg

I also saw dinosaures which just like combustion became obsolete, eventually.

And today a growing number of citizens throughout the world come to realize that those damn anti-cannabic biggots are finally discovered to be just that: obsolete. The era of darkness is ending and we may see it happen! So, hold on...

Uruguay is only the begining - i hope.

Meanwhile in Canada:

May I present yet another mascot candidate...
5m4xiw0.jpg

Egzoset

Banned
Last edited:
Egzoset,
Reactions: Snappo

Caol

I don't buy into most of these studies, I find it's usually propaganda...But I feel like you shouldn't try to ask a vaporizing form about their opinion on this. It wont exactly be unbiased.

Caol,

Wizsteve

they make sense to me ,now they need to compare ppl stone and those who are drunk see which learns less lol.by no means should anyone go to a class stone or drunk and try to retain the knowledge,but i bet those stoned could better than the ones drunk.

also if stoned i sure the results would be lower than not being stoned while taking a test while this doesn't mean their IQ dropped does mean they should not be taking a test if baked lol

Wizsteve,
Top Bottom