• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Thinking Of A Volcano and Finishing Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

PalmPrePerson

Hi everyone,

First off, let me just say thank you in advance for your input.

I started using back about 3 years ago, Then I decided that smoking out of my bong was not my thing. So I got a MFLB and loved it. ( And still do for portable use. ) Then I decided that, 90% of my use is at home, so I decided to get a At Home Unit. The one I choose was the Extreme Q, I could never get used to the whip attachment, so I always used the bag. I like this unit and it gets the job done but I am wondering about what I am missing as everyone always says the Volcano is the shiznit.

I would be going for the Digital one for sure if I do get one, but here are the questions.

1. Is it worth it? ( 700+ bucks is a lot of money to throw down on something like this ) Like I already have a Extreme Q, will I notice a difference, is it worth the money?

2. I have a Large 2 Piece Space Case, should I spend money on the Finishing Grinder from Magic Flight, would it get me better results? Or just stick to my 2 piece Space Case.

3. Easy or solid valve? Is there a benefit from either that I really should know about?

4. If I buy the whole set from them, is there anything else that you can think of that I would need or really want, I would like to get a good estimate of the total cost of this thing.

5. If there is anything you would like to add or ask, please feel free too.

Thanks
PalmPrePerson

PalmPrePerson,
Reactions: IIIQBIII

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Yeah I have to second @thesoloman if you're seriously considering spending the money on a Volcano, you'd best check out the Herbalizer thread. I also had a chance to give it a go, and it's just so much more versatile than the Volcano... Bag to whip to bag to whip so so fast. Temperature control so fast you keep changing it just to see if it can keep up or not (and yeah, it definitely keeps up.) If it were my money, it would be for the Herbalizer.

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
... I am wondering about what I am missing as everyone always says the Volcano is the shiznit.
What I've found is that people who say the volcano is the shiznit are usually people who don't vape regularly, or people for whom the volcano is the only premium vape they've used...

The prevailing sentiment from members here (that I have noticed) is that the volcano is indeed a well performing, well built, top quality vape, but compared to other options it is quite overpriced...

I've used a buddies volcano a few times, and honestly I didn't find the vapor quality to be all that different to what I can get from my EQ.

As an example, For the $700 price tag, you could instead get:
A solo ($160) - for portability
A SSV ($270) - widely considered among the (if not the) best whip vapes
A herbalaire ($150) - a very well regarded bag vape
With $120 left to spend on bud or a bong or another vape.

The volcano is certainly a quality vape, but IMO, no, it's not worth the full retail price tag.
:2c:

max

Out to lunch
If you like bags you might consider the herbalAire that's been mentioned. I used one for years-very affordable and reliable, and making extra bags of different sizes is a lot more affordable. The added bonus is that it will do direct draw if you want. I have known Volcano owners in the past that have switched to the herbie and been very satisfied with it. You don't even have to grind- just drop a chunk in. It's designed for that method.

I'll also point out that the Volcano (or any vape) will NOT provide better vapor or produce more with the same amount of herb. The 'cano is hard to beat for temp accuracy, but that's not a big issue with bag fill. If you're happy with the bag fill on the Extreme you won't notice that much difference using a different brand.

lwien

I would look around at the herbalizer, it costs about the same as the volcano and is pretty damn nifty, I had he chance to try one out at an test drive event, IT is worth the $$$

While I totally understand what you saying here soloman, the Herbalizer, as good as it's reported to be, still does not have the long track record of reliability of the Volcano. While it's definitely cutting edge, and while it "may" be a very reliable vape out of the chute, going by the past lessons that we've learned in regards to brand new vapes first hitting the market, from the Solo to the Ascent to the Cloud, etc, if long term reliability is a concern, I'd put my money on a vape that has a longer track record and the Volcano definitely fits that bill, eh, as does, btw, the HerbalAire that Max mentioned above.

hoptimum

Hi everyone,

I started using back about 3 years ago, Then I decided that smoking out of my bong was not my thing. So I got a MFLB and loved it. ( And still do for portable use. ) Then I decided that, 90% of my use is at home, so I decided to get a At Home Unit. The one I choose was the Extreme Q, I could never get used to the whip attachment, so I always used the bag. I like this unit and it gets the job done but I am wondering about what I am missing as everyone always says the Volcano is the shiznit.

I would be going for the Digital one for sure if I do get one, but here are the questions.

1. Is it worth it? ( 700+ bucks is a lot of money to throw down on something like this ) Like I already have a Extreme Q, will I notice a difference, is it worth the money?

2. I have a Large 2 Piece Space Case, should I spend money on the Finishing Grinder from Magic Flight, would it get me better results? Or just stick to my 2 piece Space Case.

3. Easy or solid valve? Is there a benefit from either that I really should know about?

4. If I buy the whole set from them, is there anything else that you can think of that I would need or really want, I would like to get a good estimate of the total cost of this thing.

Thanks
PalmPrePerson

I have the EQ and the Volcano, as well as the Zephyr Ion, and IMO the EQ isn't in the same league as either of the other two. It takes forever to heat up, has a relatively puny 3 speed fan, takes quite a while to fill a bag, and is a weed hog out of the cyclone bowl. Also, no valve and a lot of fragile glass pieces have to be hooked together. Way too fussy for what it does, IMO.
I haven't used the herbalizer or the herbal aire and I won't comment on vaporizers I haven't tried. I will say that overall the Volcano doesn't get much love in this forum.
1. Is it worth it? that's a relative question. The build quality and efficiency of the Volcano in filling bags is unsurpassed. However, lots of people don't like bags. If you want the best bag vaporizer, it's the Volcano, at least in my limited experience.
Personally I wouldn't pay full retail. Since they've been on the market a while there are quite a few available used on craigslist and ebay for $300-450.
2. Your grinder should be fine. Also, the Volcano comes with an acrylic orange grinder that's ok as well. The Volcano is very efficient at evenly vaporizing your herb, and you can fill three good bags with .20-.25 gram.
3. I have both valves and they each have their advantages. It's easier to change bags with the solid valve, but the valve set itself is pretty heavy and might topple over during filling. Also the mouthpiece requires more pressure and maintenance. I'd go with the Easy Valve. It's light, requires little pressure, and you can buy turkey size oven bags as replacements. Check the videos to see how to change bags using the Easy Valve. It's not difficult.
4. you might as well get the set when you make your purchase since I haven't seen a lot of valves sold separately. I bought an old used Volcano cheap just to get the solid valve. Even though its a pretty old machine, it still fills bags pretty well, it just takes longer. My Digit will fill a bag in around 45 seconds.
5. If you really like bags and you have the money, the Volcano is the way to go, based on my experience. It's built like a tank, requires little maintenance, is easy to use, is efficient and conserves herb relatively well. It's also got a pad you can use if you have access to concentrates. It's also got a long track record and is arguably the most accurate temp control on the market with the Digit. And S&B's service is top notch.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions just ask.

hoptimum,

lwien

Personally I wouldn't pay full retail. Since they've been on the market a while there are quite a few available used on craigslist and ebay for $300-450.

But see, that's one of the main things the Volcano has going against it. There are many, including myself, who don't like to purchase used product for you never know how the previous owner took care of it, and there's just something special about buying and using a "virgin" that is all yours from the get go (pardon my analogy there, but it's the best way I could describe it), be it a vaporizer, a car or whatever.

And so, at the going price of a new Volcano, one does need to question the value and for many, that is a major sticking point.

lwien,

hoptimum

But see, that's one of the main things the Volcano has going against it. There are many, including myself, who don't like to purchase used product for you never know how the previous owner took care of it, and there's just something special about buying and using a "virgin" that is all yours from the get go (pardon my analogy there, but it's the best way I could describe it), be it a vaporizer, a car or whatever.

And so, at the going price of a new Volcano, one does need to question the value and for many, that is a major sticking point.

I don't disagree. However, I felt I could take a chance buying used Volcanos since I live close to the S&B U.S. service center. The Digit I bought had seen a lot of abuse. It wouldn't hold temp and the digital readout jumped all over the place. It was so cheap that I took a flier on it anyway and took it over to the S&B trauma center in Richmond. They were able to fix it and refurbish it for a reasonable fee, and now it runs like a new machine. When I do buy a used vaporizer, it's always a brand with a strong reputation and a long track record, and I replace any of the parts, such as the mouthpieces, whips and bags that I will come into direct contact with. But I take your point that some people prefer to buy new, $600 or so for a new Digit would certainly give me pause.

hoptimum,

2 Paces

For the MFLB I would recommend a finer grind. It always amazes me how much more effective the box is when it is down to a sand like consistency.

I could never pull the trigger on the finishing grinder for $40, but I picked one up on Massdrop for $25 last month. It hasn't shown up yet, so I can't give you a review.

I have always used an electric coffee grinder (cost me $25) for my MFLB. Super fine grind, but I have to do about 1/4oz at a time for it to work really well.

Whatever you use to get there, I think you will be happier with a finer grind. I don't like the grind any of my 2 pc grinders give me for the MFLB.

cawshook

Solod out.
For the MFLB I would recommend a finer grind. It always amazes me how much more effective the box is when it is down to a sand like consistency.

I could never pull the trigger on the finishing grinder for $40, but I picked one up on Massdrop for $25 last month. It hasn't shown up yet, so I can't give you a review.

I have always used an electric coffee grinder (cost me $25) for my MFLB. Super fine grind, but I have to do about 1/4oz at a time for it to work really well.

Whatever you use to get there, I think you will be happier with a finer grind. I don't like the grind any of my 2 pc grinders give me for the MFLB.
Ya thats true. I recommend, either flipping over the grinder and keep grinding, or even put it in the freezer (with the ground herbs) for 5-10 minutes and use that same technique.

BTW thoughts on the Vapir Rise?

cawshook,

sal69

If you have the cash go get one, you wont regret it.

Based on my experience (Volcano, LSV and MFLB) its a very nice piece of equipment.
I use it as a daily driver and never regretted the purchase.
Since i live in europe however it was not that expensive as new units are for you. On the other hand the us-vapes are more expensive here so the situation is very different price-wise. But i see that the price is indeed hard to swallow at first.
But i guess in five years it will be the cheapest option, because the cano will run and run and run and i guess you will not be that lucky with the other vapes. Build quality is something completely different when it comes to the Volcano. This is a industry standard product made by a german company. Most other vapes look like they have been assembled in the garage compared to that.
If you dont like bags, stay away from it. The main reason why i mostly use the volcano is maintenance and ease of use. There are no glass parts that could break and you dont have to clean it often. Its very convenient to use compared to the i.e. the LSV.
Also this product was medically tested and verified. But all that contributes to its premium price.
But its definitely a product that will stay with you for a very long time.

sal69,

lwien

If you have the cash go get one, you wont regret it.

If you dont like bags, stay away from it.

These two statements contradict one another. For a person that doesn't like sucking on plastic bags to get their vapor, they WILL regret getting one.

Lots of people love bag vapes and there are some great reasons to like it. Many people don't like bag vapes and there are very definitive reasons why they don't. For me, I much prefer my LSV over any bag vape including the 'Cano.

lwien,

IIIQBIII

Vape Obsessed
Hi everyone,

Thanks
PalmPrePerson

Yes you will notice a huge difference. Not only in vapor but you save bud too. Although its a larger chamber than the EQ you can easily get 2-3 bags out of 1 load. I have an EQ as well. Its not even close.

No any grinder will work, but just so you know the Volcano comes with its own grinder..

I went with the solid valve because I wanted to choose my own bag length. Also it comes with a large roll of bag material so aren't stuck with just 4 bags. I replace my bags when they build up that residue. Making bags is VERY easy.

No the set comes with everything you are going to need. Except your own bud..

I love my Volcano. I have a lot of vapes, I have gotten rid of a lot of vapes. This is a keeper. The vapor is as strong as you want it (temp control), its a very clean system with very minimal maintenance required. The bags are better tasting than bags from the EQ. All of my buddies who have tried it agree with that sentiment.. also if you are into experimental vapes its always nice to have a bullet proof vape that you can always count on if one of the others is being repaired or clunks out.. I have the Classic btw. I heard of many problems with the digitals having issues with the LED screen failing. So I stuck with analog (which is just awesome)..

Last edited:
IIIQBIII,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
The Volcano offers no outstanding features or innovations that are not available in vaporizers at least half of its price. In the post above me I see a lot of false comparisons and statements presented as facts, most of them conveniently ignoring that the qualities the Volcano has over the EQ are well matched by significantly cheaper competition like the HerbalAire.

There is no reason to purchase a Volcano vaporizer. In years past it was far ahead of its competition and was well worth the money it cost. That is not the case anymore. Storz and Bickel have been riding their brand for all its worth over the past few years, adding nothing to their product while charging top dollar and advertising it like crazy. Competition outstripped them in terms of cost/quality ratio a long time ago, to the point where a Volcano is a really bad purchase if your not getting it second hand or significantly discounted. Instead of making a new, better product, Storz and Bickel has seen fit to use their business swagger to try to crush smaller competitors, and that is just not right.

As for the Volcano though, it's heat penetration is surprisingly low. It's to the point where I can take a spent load out of my friends volcano and pull two more bags out of it with the herbalaire. For 700$ I should be able to vaporize every single drop of THC out that load.

And what happens if it breaks? Contrary to what |||QB||| has said, it is far from bulletproof. Of two people I know who both own Volcano's, both have gone in for service multiple times. And it's always the same issue, the hose between the pump and the heater slips out. Seems like that would be an easy fix you could do yourself, right? But no, they used S-TorX screws so you can't open it. So get ready to pay shipping costs both ways.

TLDR:
The Volcano is so popular because of the reputation it's held over the years. There's also the fact that for a lot of people who own one, it is their only vaporizer - so they sell it on the qualities of vapor rather than its unique abilities. Finally, there are just a lot of people who are under the impression that to get the best car in the lot, you buy the one with the biggest price tag. Look at the Herbalaire, save yourself hundreds of dollars, and don't fall for the marketing.

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
......they used S-TorX screws so you can't open it........
Why wouldn't you just use (or buy) some Torx wrenches?.. I have some that are pretty small.. I have even barely managed to unscrew small Torx screws w/ Allen wrenches before, and even a flat head once... Fuck paying to ship it there and back, that sounds shitty... If I owned a Volcano and I ran into that problem, I would try to replace those bolts w/ normal ones myself.

Buildozer,

IIIQBIII

Vape Obsessed
don't fall for the marketing.

All I did was answer his question based on my experience as an owner of said product. Why on earth would I go into the details of how things are constructed? I am a consumer not a producer. None of his questions asked about a HerbalAire/ or how you could do all this amazing extra stuff.. So I was trying to stick to the point of the thread. I didn't try and sell him anything or try and pimp the herbalAire either..

You never know.. maybe money was never an issue.. and he just wants to have a great vape.. he already has 2, why can't he have 3 or more?

:peace:

EDIT: Oh ya if we are going to use "friends" as a source of information, my best bud prefers my Volcano to my VXL Cloud (while it lived :cry:) I disagree.. but I thought I would add that piece of forensic information.

Last edited:
IIIQBIII,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Money is an issue if he states that 700+ is a lot, I'd say. If it weren't, he'd have it by now?

And don't take it personal, I'm sure he meant in general and not you.

He do also ask if we had anything to add...

Quetzalcoatl,

IIIQBIII

Vape Obsessed
Money is an issue if he states that 700+ is a lot, I'd say. If it weren't, he'd have it by now?

And don't take it personal, I'm sure he meant in general and not you.

He do also ask if we had anything to add...

I didn't take it personally. I was just curious as to why someone would attempt to attack my opinion. My personal opinion didn't need to be used or paraphrased in his opinion. I believe he made it personal. I still stand by what I wrote. The Volcano is a great vape.

IIIQBIII,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
The Volcano offers no outstanding features or innovations that are not available in vaporizers at least half of its price. In the post above me I see a lot of false comparisons and statements presented as facts, most of them conveniently ignoring that the qualities the Volcano has over the EQ are well matched by significantly cheaper competition like the HerbalAire.

Hold up there, those are pretty strong words. I think you're overstating the case. He's expressing his opinion.

All I did was answer his question based on my experience as an owner of said product. Why on earth would I go into the details of how things are constructed? I am a consumer not a producer. None of his questions asked about a HerbalAire/ or how you could do all this amazing extra stuff.. So I was trying to stick to the point of the thread. I didn't try and sell him anything or try and pimp the herbalAire either..

You never know.. maybe money was never an issue.. and he just wants to have a great vape.. he already has 2, why can't he have 3 or more?

Maybe he shouldn't fall for your marketing. :peace:

EDIT: Oh ya if we are going to use "friends" as a source of information, my best bud prefers my Volcano to my VXL Cloud (while it lived :cry:) I disagree.. but I thought I would add that piece of forensic information.

@CentiZen isn't marketing the Herbalaire, he's saying it's a good alternative choice for the Volcano. Try to choose your terms a bit more carefully. You don't want people to think you're calling him a shill.

pakalolo,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Rereading my posts, I can tell I came out a little harsh on that one, and didn't separate my points as well as I should have. |||QB|||, I didn't mean to lump you in with the groups of people I was talking about in the rest of my post, nor did I mean to attack your personal opinion. Where my issues lie are with Storz and Bickel themselves (for the way they treat their competition and have used this forum in the past) and the general mindset of the army of Volcano fanboys I've had to put up with in the past.

Originally, I took issue with the way you worded your final paragraph, as it sounded to me like you were saying that the Volcano was the only real "stable" vaporizer out there and all others were experimental toys that could fail at any time. Having put some more thought to it, I can see that I misinterpreted that and I am now very sorry for my "opinions presented as fact" bit.

I do feel that the rest of my points are fair, however - and think that it is more than acceptable to offer the OP the herbalaire as a possible alternative. The fact he said "700$ is a lot of money" in his opening post tells me that money is indeed a factor for him, and in that case I really do not think a Volcano vaporizer is a good choice on an objective level.

And you don't need to be a producer to be able to understand what you are buying. This sort of mentality is attractive, but even with just a little contextual information about what you are buying you become an empowered customer. People usually buy vaporizers as a investment, and it is very important to understand how problems can occur and what you can do to solve them. That's part of the reason this forum exists, really. Simple problems like a slipped tube or a dead pump are actually quite common, and they should be easy fixes. But they aren't, and Storz and Bickel chooses to use them as an income source instead. I think it's important that a potential customer understands that, and knows that there are adequate competitors that don't operate in that manner.

And it makes perfect sense that your buddy would prefer the comparably weaker vapor from the Volcano than the super dense clouds from the Cloud. The Cloud is very tough on people who don't vaporize exclusively.

Last edited:

hoptimum

Apparently my experience with S&B is an aberration. I've actually visited the U.S. service center in Oakland CA, and I found them to be more than helpful. The used Volcano I bought had been seriously trashed and abused, and I had my doubts about whether it would ever function. I left it at the service center and got a call back in about a week. They check with you to see if you want to do the repairs, estimates are free. They replaced the digital readouts and display and refurbished it entirely for $160. Now I have a good as new Volcano Digit, and absolutely no complaints about their service. I'm not saying the Volcano is the best vaporizer around. I haven't tried every one of them. And I am not privy to S&B's allegedly unscrupulous marketing tactics. But I will say that from my personal experience their service is more than reasonable and that the Volcano performs as advertised. I think there's something of a double standard on this forum where criticizing certain manufacturers is considered off limits, but it's fine to bash others. I find it a little sad, to be honest. For the record, the Volcano is not my only vaporizer, but it does serve a useful purpose IMO, and it's not the overpriced dog that some people apparently think it is. By the way, those screws are easily removed with the right size hex wrench.

Last edited:
hoptimum,

lwien

I think there's something of a double standard on this forum where criticizing certain manufacturers is considered off limits, but it's fine to bash others.

THAT is a totally inaccurate statement. I have never seen that criticizing any manufacture is off limits, nor have I ever seen from the moderators that it is totally fine to bash any manufacturers. What I HAVE seen over the years that I've been here is that ALL manufacturers have been taken to task at one time or another for very valid reasons but that the mods try like hell to keep it from getting into an all out flame war, and when THAT raises it's ugly head, the mods step in........as they should.

lwien,
Reactions: pakalolo

headdoctor

These questions get asked a lot out here, undoubtedly because they're reasonable questions. The discussion almost always centers around the cost, which is understandable; it's very expensive. But in addition to cost, we should consider *value*, and then the conversation is more complicated. I've used my Volcano more or less daily for two years; I've travelled with it; I've knocked it around. And it's still going strong. I have every reason to hope that it will last me for quite some time. And I could probably turn around and sell it tomorrow on eBay for 50% of what I paid. I like things that are well made, durable, effective, and simple to use--that is how I value things. (My stereo amplifier is a 20-year old Bryston tank, and it still cranks.) I think it's fair to say that there are other vapes that produce the same effects for less money. Are they as simple, durable, and effective? Check back with me in five years and we'll continue the discussion. For me, the bottom line is that I have used and own other vapes; I've used my 'Cano steadily for over two years, and I'm very, very happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom