Things are not going to change here anytime soon.

dorkus_molorkus

With articles like these coming out. i dont see anything changing here in Oz anytime soon. :cry:

What a load of rubbish. women smoke weed cause they like it.

I didnt put this in the medical section because it doesnt seem to be about medicine to me.
More like propaganda.

WOMEN are more likely to use cannabis to maintain relationships, an addiction expert says.

Professor Jan Copeland, director of the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre at the University of NSW, said recent research had revealed details of women's cannabis use.

She said that although more men use the drug, women become addicted for social reasons.
"They are more likely to report using cannabis in order to maintain social networks," Prof Copeland told the Medicine in Addiction conference in Sydney on Saturday.

"In order to maintain relationships, particularly with partners."
However, women are also more likely to remain abstinent after treatment and often relapse after feeling down.
"(Women) relapse in response to negative feelings and interpersonal problems," Prof Copeland said.

"Men are more likely to relapse because they're feeling very positive and in control and having a good time."
Women are also more likely to report physical symptoms during cannabis withdrawals, Prof Copeland said.

She said because a large proportion of cannabis users were young, the centre was experimenting with smartphone apps to communicate with addicts and reduce their use.

"(An app) avoids that little confrontation of talking to someone face-to-face, particularly if you're not really sure that your cannabis use is a problem."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/national/women-use-cannabis-to-be-social-expert/story-e6frfku9-1226598800705#ixzz2NgmML0F3

dorkus_molorkus,

OO

Technical Skeptical
I love how your country is not even shy about it, Information AND Prevention.

That being said, data is data, if it actually has some truth behind it, it could still be valuable for those who do not want to be dependent on any substance.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

That being said, data is data, if it actually has some truth behind it, it could still be valuable for those who do not want to be dependent on any substance.

I don't expect a lot of truth to come from the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre, do you? The whole premise is founded on a myth. Cannabis simply is not an addictive substance. You can make a case that some people become psychologically addicted, but you can make that case for sucking your thumb.

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I love how they say that women are "more likely to abstain after treatment" and yet "often relapse when feeling down"

Doublespeak.

Enchantre,

Chill Dude

Skewed data is never truthful .....

Chill Dude,

OO

Technical Skeptical
I don't expect a lot of truth to come from the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre, do you? The whole premise is founded on a myth. Cannabis simply is not an addictive substance. You can make a case that some people become psychologically addicted, but you can make that case for sucking your thumb.
As much as I agree with the sentiment that anything can have addictive potential, I have heard firsthand accounts of withdrawals related to cannabis. That being said, I think it arises from this particular user treating severe anxiety, and when he runs out, he gets anxious.

So it's mostly chicken or the egg. That being said, while I would be especially critical of any information from the source in question, you must weigh all data against your own personal experiences, and make the decision for yourself, it would be prudent to consider data, no matter the source.

OO,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
My understanding was that there's nothing chemically or physiologically addictive about MJ.

Given that a person can become "addicted" to just about anything, IMO the only things that should be considered "addictive" are those that actively addicting.

Even if it was established that MJ is addictive, who gives a flying fuck?
We have plenty of substances that are addictive and completely legal and unrestricted for sale.
I.E. caffeine.
We also have more dangerous substances that are legal and somewhat restricted
I.E. alcohol, nicotine and various prescription drugs.

I swear, I'm completely fucking sick of this hypocritical bullshit of "recreational drugs are bad... M'Kay?"
All the while alcohol and tobacco are totally fine...
"But they aren't *cue horrified voice* DRUGS, they are legal"
Whoopedy doo, they are still fucking drugs.

You want a beer, I want a vape, what's the big fucking deal?

Disclaimer - I know MJ is a very valuable medicine for many people, but it isn't for me, so I'm not really in a position to argue for it on medical grounds... Hence my referring to it as a recreational drug.

OO

Technical Skeptical
My understanding was that there's nothing chemically or physiologically addictive about MJ.

Given that a person can become "addicted" to just about anything, IMO the only things that should be considered "addictive" are those that actively addicting.

Even if it was established that MJ is addictive, who gives a flying fuck?
We have plenty of substances that are addictive and completely legal and unrestricted for sale.
I.E. caffeine.
We also have more dangerous substances that are legal and somewhat restricted
I.E. alcohol, nicotine and various prescription drugs.

I swear, I'm completely fucking sick of this hypocritical bullshit of "recreational drugs are bad... M'Kay?"
All the while alcohol and tobacco are totally fine...
"But they aren't *cue horrified voice* DRUGS, they are legal"
Whoopedy doo, they are still fucking drugs.

You want a beer, I want a vape, what's the big fucking deal?

Disclaimer - I know MJ is a very valuable medicine for many people, but it isn't for me, so I'm not really in a position to argue for it on medical grounds... Hence my referring to it as a recreational drug.
You're preaching to the choir.

Maybe try enlightening an audience with a different opinion, but understand their mentality first, don't run in with an "us versus them" mentality, you'll only polarize yourself from them, and make if far easier for them to dismiss your arguments.

OO,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
You're preaching to the choir.
Yeah, but every now and again you need to vent ;)
Maybe try enlightening an audience with a different opinion, but understand their mentality first, don't run in with an "us versus them" mentality, you'll only polarize yourself from them, and make if far easier for them to dismiss your arguments.
My general strategy is to expose the ignorance and hypocrisy with actual facts.
They can be dismissive of me personally, but the facts can't just be hand-waved away.
You'd be surprised how stumped some people get at the "You want a beer, I want a vape, what's the big fucking deal?" Line of reasoning.

When someone's mentality is based in ignorance (as is almost every person I've met who is against MJ) I can understand it, but I don't need to respect it.
:2c:

Edit:
About time we saw a rant from you. :tup:
I was beginning to think you were all calm rationale.

Dont it feel good?:evil:
Maybe it because I'm out of herb ATM. :lol:(Got a healthy backup stash of reclaim oil though ;))

Top Bottom