Discontinued ThermoVape

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
LOL.. Still kind of up there somewhere.. Thanks for the Info.. Will try in a bit..

But it sounds like no matter what I should be ok and able to get it working and not send it back correct?

Thanks!
If neither element is on you should be fine. A single element is a different story, but still might be OK..?
That switch can be finicky but seems to settle in.
Watch that video posted above for sure and note the newer units as OF said have a slightly different centre part but not to worry. I have never taken the Delrin off mine anyway. No real need to.
Let us know.

Pipes,
Reactions: OF

OF

But it sounds like no matter what I should be ok and able to get it working and not send it back correct?

Yes, go for it. It's very straightforward and part of the design. Very hard to hurt it without power tools.

If you can't put it back together or get it sorted out, you can always box up all the loose bits and let TV sort it out. It's intended to be owner serviced.

Hey and BTW next time you're up there, how about bringing back a couple of those hundred thousand dollar Hasselblads the Apollo guys littered the joint up with back? I think they belong to NASA still, not sure if you could claim them as salvage, after all they did abandon ship..... We might have to file the serial numbers off.... Prolly hard to find film and all, but it'd look cool on the mantle....

OF

OF,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
My God I cant get the black sleeve off the switch part.. I have tried and tried and tried until my fingers feel like they are about to fall off.. This thing feels like its super glued in there or something.. Is it suppose to be this hard ti get off?? In the video it looks like it came right off with not much effort..

I even put it in boiling water for like 30 seconds.. Do I need to boil this part for like an hour before it will come off.. Sorry as now I am starting to get a little frustrated... :bang:

Kuroth1,

PB88123

Vaporist
My God I cant get the black sleeve off the switch part.. I have tried and tried and tried until my fingers feel like they are about to fall off.. This thing feels like its super glued in there or something.. Is it suppose to be this hard ti get off?? In the video it looks like it came right off with not much effort..

I even put it in boiling water for like 30 seconds.. Do I need to boil this part for like an hour before it will come off.. Sorry as now I am starting to get a little frustrated... :bang:

No need to take it off. It's just covering another piece. Keep all delrin on as in my 6 months of owning it I've had no reason to take it off.

The only pieces I take out or off are the bowl, switch o-ring and the switch. Those 3 pieces need to be put in correctly for the device to work.

I take the oring and put it in and then push the switch it. Then I take the bowl and a grippy thing to help me tighten the bowl in there real good. I make sure the switch is still in all the way and then screw on the battery holder. I power it on and it should work.

If you really want to take it off only to put it back on try boiling it for a couple minutes. Then try. The makers made it tighter so it doesn't spin when hot.

PB88123,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker

Do not boil the actual switch. You don't want to get any debris inside it. The part that pulls out the bottom. You do not need to take off the Delrin sleeve....? The middle main piece has been changed since that video and there is no reason to take it off unless it got mis-aligned somehow but un likely. Don't forget if you take it off it needs to go back and height is not that easy to get back.

Pipes,

OF

Yup, sure is tight, but not necessary to move. Note this was mentioned in posts 3722 and 3727. Sorry, I guess we should have made it clearer. The part you need to reset the switch is about the 5 minute mark IIRC.

Edit: Make that the four minute mark to remove, six or so for the install part. So 'about five minutes' is a good guess I guess... OF

OF

OF,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
Ugggg Feel really dumb but I have been messing with it now for 1 and 1/2 hrs and cant get it to work.. I know now how to take it all apart and put it back together and have done so 20+ times... Everything looks fine as far as I can tell.. Taken the switch out many times now and made sure that o-ring was down inside and flat against that lower part where its suppose to be and then pushed the switch snug back into the hole with the 0-ring.. Fits good and snug and switch and spring move up and down when I push on it with my thumb..

One short time about 1 hr ago I did get the bowl to light up(First time I ever seen this.. I could even hear what I thought was a slight hissing sound while it was on).. But then it just stopped working again.. The one time I did get it to work I was messing with screwing in the Bowl part and that is when it seemed to work was when I screwed that top part down really tight. Note: every time I screw on the top bowl part I always screw it on tight enough so that the black o-ring can no longer be seen and its all very tight and smooth looking so I believe it is on correctly... After this one short time it worked, could not get it to do it again...

Really dont know what to try next.. Now that I have taken it all apart it really seems pretty simple in the way it works.. Is that normal that it should take me 1 1/2 hrs messing with it and taking it apart and putting it back togather over and over and over to get it to work??? Do all you have to do this???

Is it possible I just have a bad switch or something.. Sad.. Really wanted to test it out this whole weekend.. And my thumbs are REALLY sore now....:hmm:

Kuroth1,

OF

One short time about 1 hr ago I did get the bowl to light up(First time I ever seen this.. I could even hear what I thought was a slight hissing sound while it was on).. But then it just stopped working again.. The one time I did get it to work I was messing with screwing in the Bowl part and that is when it seemed to work was when I screwed that top part down really tight. Note: every time I screw on the top bowl part I always screw it on tight enough so that the black o-ring can no longer be seen and its all very tight and smooth looking so I believe it is on correctly... After this one short time it worked, could not get it to do it again...

You're half way home. Tell your thumbs to shake it off, we've got a bit more to go.

Let's take stock. The heat core is good, it ran at least once full tilt. For that instant, the switch and battery were also up to snuff. Then something went south. It (almost) has to be a connection. There are very few of them, by far the most likely is the core into the body. Not only does the o-ring have to be covered, the lip above it has to drop completely down as well. When properly screwed down the top of the skirt the o-ring is set into is just below flush with the top of the threads.

It should actually come up to a firm stop when the shoulder on the core (just above the threads) bottoms out. If it's just stiff to turn, it's not there yet.

Take the o-ring off and it the bowl back and see how it should fit. You can fire it up this way to test, but it won't draw right without the ring to seal it. BTW if you have any VG of PG handy a bit on the ring makes screwing it on and off easy. I also wrap a heavy rubber band around the outside of the bowl, in the vee filling it up with rubber, it gives you something to grip.

Anyway, I'm betting the bowl isn't getting threaded in deep enough to make good contact with the switch.

OF

OF,
Reactions: Stu

jambandphan03

in flavor country
just thinking, isn't there some kind of hemp convention thing happening this weekend? I noticed an absence of TV presence here for the past couple of days.

jambandphan03,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
just thinking, isn't there some kind of hemp convention thing happening this weekend? I noticed an absence of TV presence here for the past couple of days.
Yeah... but they hire OF to work the graveyard shift on the support line. He does a fine job and all..... but I hear often shows up to work stoned and that he has very poor personal grooming habits.

:peace:

Stu,

OF

True rumor. Hempcon in San Jose this weekend, the High Times Cannabis Cup in Richmond next weekend. I suspect it's keeping 'the usual suspects' hoppin' busy right about now. Should recover early next week I'd think?

OF

OF,

OF

Yeah... but they hire OF to work the graveyard shift on the support line. He does a fine job and all..... but I hear often shows up to work stoned and that he has very poor personal grooming habits.

Habits? Habit infers more stability and organization than I think you can prove. Besides, the bathrobe's clean (or cleanish....), what more do you expect? You're not supposed to be peeking anyway.

Remember, we had that little talk about not peeking?

And if I really am hired, which SOB is sitting on my paychecks? There's an old joke about the new girl at the local house of ill repute that was quite happy until she found out the other girls were getting paid too....

OF

PB88123

Vaporist
Ugggg Feel really dumb but I have been messing with it now for 1 and 1/2 hrs and cant get it to work.. I know now how to take it all apart and put it back together and have done so 20+ times... Everything looks fine as far as I can tell.. Taken the switch out many times now and made sure that o-ring was down inside and flat against that lower part where its suppose to be and then pushed the switch snug back into the hole with the 0-ring.. Fits good and snug and switch and spring move up and down when I push on it with my thumb..

Really dont know what to try next.. Now that I have taken it all apart it really seems pretty simple in the way it works.. Is that normal that it should take me 1 1/2 hrs messing with it and taking it apart and putting it back togather over and over and over to get it to work??? Do all you have to do this???

Is it possible I just have a bad switch or something.. Sad.. Really wanted to test it out this whole weekend.. And my thumbs are REALLY sore now....:hmm:

Here is a video of me taking apart and then putting it back together. I hold the switch up while screwing the bowl back in.

PB88123,

natural farmer

@OF, PP, Vaporboxed

Hey guys, I am reading this thread for a long time now and I really enjoy it. I believe TV is a wonder of a device and I can't see the time when I can afford it and enjoy it myself...
One thing that bugs me though, is the bashing that's taking place from time to time towards the Solo. I don't give a damn about Arizer or anything but I like it when I get true info and I 'd like others to do as well.
So please stop with the conduction stories about the solo... If conduction takes place, it is in the same degree it takes place in TV, gn0me or any other convection vape where the herb touches a hot surface. Let's be real here... Hot air passing and touching ANY part of any bowl, where the herb sits in, will in a very short time raise the temp of that part to the temp of the hot air. Just like it does with the herbs. If conduction played a major role in any of these vapes (solo included) then the sides of the herb mass would bake quicker than the herb in the center of the mass and you could see that from the difference in color. It happens though that at least with the solo I happen to own now, that's not the case. Even if I don't stir, the herb is evenly vaped, except from the lower part of the bowl where the screen is and the air has cooled down till it gets there. Don't mention the Evolution because the bowl is much narrower and it makes a great difference. One stir through the session is enough for most strains I have tried. Just like the TV from what I 've read in this thread... :) If conduction took place in a greater degree we would also see black pieces of herb and the taste would spoil really bad (it happens with the LB if not carefully enough, there is much more conduction there). That doesn't happen except if you overpack the stem and some herbs are touching the SS bowl or if some pieces drop in there. Also, from what I am reading it happens that many TV users have accidentally combusted from time to time and got that shitty taste or even smoke in them. Haven't heard of ONE such case with the solo...
What really takes place in all convection vapes is infrared radiation. The bowls heat up, iR heats the herbs and some conduction also takes place.... I don't recall who, but a vape manufacturer has also made this comment around here...
All in all concerning the solo... The more you leave that stem in that bowl, the more conduction will take place. Leave it long enough and you have a charred herb... If you don't like this, and of course you don't, just put the stem in, take your draw and remove it, simple as that. Just like the HI is used. Nobody complained about the HI being conduction right??? If you don't want shitty taste, either lower the temp (I really can't imagine a way to get bad taste at 3 or 4), remove the stem between hits, place a second screen on top of the herbs (so they don't fall on the SS), hold the solo upside down (for the same reason) or just pick another strain! I am just kidding about the last solution of course... :D
There is a better way and a worst way to use the solo just like any other vape. That's all... Sorry for the long post and please correct me if I am wrong somewhere, but my stash is finished and I have to spent my time somehow... :lol:

natural farmer,
Reactions: Sinclue

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
Here is a video of me taking apart and then putting it back together. I hold the switch up while screwing the bowl back in.

Yes.. I do all that.. Funny but I use the same round grip thing you had in the video..

Sigh.. Mine looks just like yours when I have it all back together..

Kuroth1,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
You're half way home. Tell your thumbs to shake it off, we've got a bit more to go.

Let's take stock. The heat core is good, it ran at least once full tilt. For that instant, the switch and battery were also up to snuff. Then something went south. It (almost) has to be a connection. There are very few of them, by far the most likely is the core into the body. Not only does the o-ring have to be covered, the lip above it has to drop completely down as well. When properly screwed down the top of the skirt the o-ring is set into is just below flush with the top of the threads.

It should actually come up to a firm stop when the shoulder on the core (just above the threads) bottoms out. If it's just stiff to turn, it's not there yet.

Take the o-ring off and it the bowl back and see how it should fit. You can fire it up this way to test, but it won't draw right without the ring to seal it. BTW if you have any VG of PG handy a bit on the ring makes screwing it on and off easy. I also wrap a heavy rubber band around the outside of the bowl, in the vee filling it up with rubber, it gives you something to grip.

Anyway, I'm betting the bowl isn't getting threaded in deep enough to make good contact with the switch.

OF

Ugggggg Half way home??? Really?? Just half :o

But thank you FC for All your help..

I am about to be off to church for a bit but will try again (Concentrating on the bowl top part) It REALLY does look like it screwed in correctly and all way... I watch all these other videos and it just seems so easy.. I am still worried I got a bad unit.. I mean am I going to have to do this all the time???? I want it to be plug and play.. Not a Harley that I have to work on every other day... :horse:

Sorry.. Not trying to sound mad or anything.. Just really frustrated..

Oh and one other question.. Someone said "As long as both elements are burning".. What does this mean? Is that the 2 separate glows(lights) when the power is on down in the bowl I see in some of the videos? So there are 2 burners in there and I should see that(I think I did that one time I got it to work but I was so excited I just got it to work did not really pay attention.. But the whole bowl light up)

Thanks and I will keep trying...

p.s. Please tell me my experience is NOT normal and once I get this thing fixed, I should hopefully not have to mess with it any longer???????

Not sure if it might matter but one other thing I noticed last night is the little up and down thing with the spring on it(That fits in the opposite end of where the blow screws on.. I forget now what is called)
when I have it in , its not totally straight up and down.. It seems to lean just slightly to one side no matter what I do and how many times I take it apart and put it back..

I wish I could do a video so you guys would see I am not a total Noob... uggggg

Anyway off to Church (Real church not The Church from GH Seeds... :brow:)

Kuroth1,

OF

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but ThermoVape was recently featured on CNET.

CNET TV - Always On Future Tech: Smoking goes high-tech (and smokeless!)
http://cnettv.cnet.com/8301-33814_53-57454448-10391737.html?tag=showAux;listings

Hey, that's great! Even past the funny camera shots, you can see how small yet busy the place is. I don't think I've ever seen that many on benches at any one time (probably 4 on average?). When I've been there, the others were in motion somewhere. You can see large batches of products in process, different products over time, but always big batches of parts.

What I do wonder is what did they do with the BMW that was up on the lift in the back left corner? The big blue framework. A very cool hot rod project, but not exactly vapes.

Thanks for posting the link.

OF

OF,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
@OF, PP, Vaporboxed

Hey guys, I am reading this thread for a long time now and I really enjoy it. I believe TV is a wonder of a device and I can't see the time when I can afford it and enjoy it myself...
One thing that bugs me though, is the bashing that's taking place from time to time towards the Solo. I don't give a damn about Arizer or anything but I like it when I get true info and I 'd like others to do as well.
So please stop with the conduction stories about the solo... If conduction takes place, it is in the same degree it takes place in TV, gn0me or any other convection vape where the herb touches a hot surface. Let's be real here... Hot air passing and touching ANY part of any bowl, where the herb sits in, will in a very short time raise the temp of that part to the temp of the hot air. Just like it does with the herbs. If conduction played a major role in any of these vapes (solo included) then the sides of the herb mass would bake quicker than the herb in the center of the mass and you could see that from the difference in color. It happens though that at least with the solo I happen to own now, that's not the case. Even if I don't stir, the herb is evenly vaped, except from the lower part of the bowl where the screen is and the air has cooled down till it gets there. Don't mention the Evolution because the bowl is much narrower and it makes a great difference. One stir through the session is enough for most strains I have tried. Just like the TV from what I 've read in this thread... :) If conduction took place in a greater degree we would also see black pieces of herb and the taste would spoil really bad (it happens with the LB if not carefully enough, there is much more conduction there). That doesn't happen except if you overpack the stem and some herbs are touching the SS bowl or if some pieces drop in there. Also, from what I am reading it happens that many TV users have accidentally combusted from time to time and got that shitty taste or even smoke in them. Haven't heard of ONE such case with the solo...
What really takes place in all convection vapes is infrared radiation. The bowls heat up, iR heats the herbs and some conduction also takes place.... I don't recall who, but a vape manufacturer has also made this comment around here...
All in all concerning the solo... The more you leave that stem in that bowl, the more conduction will take place. Leave it long enough and you have a charred herb... If you don't like this, and of course you don't, just put the stem in, take your draw and remove it, simple as that. Just like the HI is used. Nobody complained about the HI being conduction right??? If you don't want shitty taste, either lower the temp (I really can't imagine a way to get bad taste at 3 or 4), remove the stem between hits, place a second screen on top of the herbs (so they don't fall on the SS), hold the solo upside down (for the same reason) or just pick another strain! I am just kidding about the last solution of course... :D
There is a better way and a worst way to use the solo just like any other vape. That's all... Sorry for the long post and please correct me if I am wrong somewhere, but my stash is finished and I have to spent my time somehow... :lol:
I totally, wholeheartedly disagree. The proof is in the ABV. Solo abv is totally brown and thoroughly toasted/roasted. TV abv is not. They are definitely different methods of heat delivery. The Solo abv does indeed remind me of the abv from my iolite, another conduction vaporizer. It's the fact that hot air is CONSTANTLY in contact with the material (not intermittently like with the TV) that makes the difference between these devices. I refuse to stop drawing that distinction, as it is for the reasons I previously mentioned. A Solo is "vaporizing" a bunch of vegetative plant matter, the TV is not. Yes, this releases more visible vapor, but is producing lower quality vapor with a higher amount of carcinogenic compounds being released. I do, btw, run my Solo on 3/4 for the duration, and agree that is where the "best" flavor is achieved, however your suggestion to insert and remove the stem between hits seems highly impractical to me, since the Solo does not generate enough on-demand heat to properly vape the material in an expedient fashion if the stem is not left in the Solo, and thus conducting the heat. Otherwise, the Solo is too mild (particularly on 3 or 4) to be able to ramp back up the temperature of the stem to create an "instantaneous" vapor like is achieved with the TV. They truly are two different beasts, and a more true convection style instant heat is what sets the TV apart in the portable vape market at present. I stand by my claims that even on the "ideal" settings of 3/4 on a Solo, the taste is absolutely both "stale" and "musty" by comparison to my TV. Regardless of the strain.

PhreedomPhries,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
I couldn't have said it better myself.

On a different note, I have been really enjoying my TV through my bubbler. The clouds are pretty effortless and my new thumb grip mod makes it that much easier.
Nice little video VB! That's the kind of beautiful blue vapor I'm looking for. I'm getting excited for the all-glass vapor path attachments! I wonder how a wider air channel (as compared to the long and narrower channel of the delrin adapters) will change the hit.

PhreedomPhries,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
btw, VB, what are you using to attach your T1 to your bubbler at present? Is it something other than the delrin adapter? Because it looks like you're running it straight off the cap with the metal mouthpiece. That's a cool implementation, as it preserves a wider air channel than the delrin GonG adapter allows for. But you must have some silicone tubing or something attached to that to make the seal to your bubbler, am I right?

PhreedomPhries,

natural farmer

I totally, wholeheartedly disagree. The proof is in the ABV. Solo abv is totally brown and thoroughly toasted/roasted. TV abv is not. They are definitely different methods of heat delivery. The Solo abv does indeed remind me of the abv from my iolite, another conduction vaporizer. It's the fact that hot air is CONSTANTLY in contact with the material (not intermittently like with the TV) that makes the difference between these devices. I refuse to stop drawing that distinction, as it is for the reasons I previously mentioned. A Solo is "vaporizing" a bunch of vegetative plant matter, the TV is not. Yes, this releases more visible vapor, but is producing lower quality vapor with a higher amount of carcinogenic compounds being released. I do, btw, run my Solo on 3/4 for the duration, and agree that is where the "best" flavor is achieved, however your suggestion to insert and remove the stem between hits seems highly impractical to me, since the Solo does not generate enough on-demand heat to properly vape the material in an expedient fashion if the stem is not left in the Solo, and thus conducting the heat. Otherwise, the Solo is too mild (particularly on 3 or 4) to be able to ramp back up the temperature of the stem to create an "instantaneous" vapor like is achieved with the TV. They truly are two different beasts, and a more true convection style instant heat is what sets the TV apart in the portable vape market at present. I stand by my claims that even on the "ideal" settings of 3/4 on a Solo, the taste is absolutely both "stale" and "musty" by comparison to my TV. Regardless of the strain.

Maybe my English are not good enough and you didn't get what I am saying... :)

Point by point then:

ABV: The color of the ABV depends highly on when you stop vaping. At 3-4 if you stop the session when there isn't much visible vapor, the ABV will be golden brown unless you keep the stem in the bowl and it gets darker. If you try to suck every last droplet of vapor like I do to stretch the stash it will get darker. If the Thermo can't do this I guess it's due to low heat. Even the Cloud can produce dark brown ABV... Is the Cloud conduction too? ABV color is not a big factor to judge a vape. Uniformity is.

Constant hot air: Where did that came from? You suck, you get hot air, you don't, iR and conduction rises dramatically and shity taste comes...

Vegetative plant matter: how do you come to this conclusion? It's not based anywhere... Both work with hot air passing through the matter. Nough said...

On-demand heat: if you remove the stem between hits to avoid excess conduction and you don't have enough heat for the next just raise the temp and the herbs will rise the temp faster. Just because the TV produces vapor faster doesn't mean that the Solo isn't convection... Please! That also depends largely on the openness of the air-path and how fast air passes through the herbs, not the temp. The faster you are able to draw the faster vapor will reach your mouth. Solo is very restrictive by design so just think...

My friend... You haven't commended on any of the logical points I made and explained. I analysed my points to a great extend so that everyone can have a good idea. Just because you can't or don't want to bother using the Solo as it should doesn't make it less convection. It tastes stale because you don't like to remove the stem, I get that, but that doesn't mean I get a stale taste too or any other who is using it differently than you. If you want to be convincing you have to make some logical points. You don't. You make assumptions based on your usage...

natural farmer,
Top Bottom