Discontinued ThermoVape

Peloton

Vapes Hard
That, I believe, is the issue. The batteries are not warrantied at all I believe, although I'm sure TV will quickly replace any defective ones. IMO both are consumables.

While the cores seem quite robust, it's nice to know that they can be made right for a IMO small sum.

OF

I agree... I think it is a very reasonable charge. Love all these rebuilding and replating services offered, how cool is that guys.

It's a weird feeling, thinking that my ThermoVape could very likely outlive me. :)

Peloton,
Reactions: darkrom
This is correct, we have some more pressing additions that we are focusing on, some of which would eliminate the need for a PA for most people.

Cheers,

Tim

Hey is there anyway you could elaborate a little bit on this and the timeline we should be looking at?

Futuretvowner,
Reactions: ili

darkrom

Great Scott!
Hey is there anyway you could elaborate a little bit on this and the timeline we should be looking at?

They are ignoring that question rather than saying no, but the answer is no. My patience skills have increased greatly after loving the thermovape. All you can do is wait. We usually hear it first anyway.

darkrom,
Reactions: OF

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Hey there. So now that I have been rotating my batteries, and wearing them in a bit... using the T1, I have been noticing I can get 2, maybe 3 hits before the entire unit is way too hot, and I end up taking my batteries out to cool. Is this normal? I have been running 6 sets in rotation for about 2-3 weeks now, trying not to let them get too hot, and letting them cool before charging. I have just received a 10pk of thenergy 3.0 lifepo4's from amazon that I don't want to open just yet since I already have a dozen of them active. I am not sure exactly what I am asking here, other than should my T1 be getting this hot in 2-3 hits? It is working well, otherwise. I have about a 8 second heat time to get the coil up to top glow, when it's started from cold.

jambandphan03,
Hey there. So now that I have been rotating my batteries, and wearing them in a bit... using the T1, I have been noticing I can get 2, maybe 3 hits before the entire unit is way too hot, and I end up taking my batteries out to cool. Is this normal? I have been running 6 sets in rotation for about 2-3 weeks now, trying not to let them get too hot, and letting them cool before charging. I have just received a 10pk of thenergy 3.0 lifepo4's from amazon that I don't want to open just yet since I already have a dozen of them active. I am not sure exactly what I am asking here, other than should my T1 be getting this hot in 2-3 hits? It is working well, otherwise. I have about a 8 second heat time to get the coil up to top glow, when it's started from cold.

Yep this is why I have been complaining about the batteries and asking TV when they will be coming out with there "thing" that could fully eliminate the future use of a PA device. This device is not good in its current state with batteries that have been through some use. I'm getting pretty frustrated at this point and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to sell my TV or if they are going to come out with something that makes it worth keeping. I'm holding on to it for the time being because they said they are working on some new stuff.

Futuretvowner,

PB88123

Vaporist

Is the temperature around you warmer now? I've noticed when I'm outside in 85F (30C) and the sun is out the device will get hot after 2-4 hits. What I am going to try is pulsing the switch in hopes that it will keep the device from getting so hot so quickly. I'll have to break the old habit of keeping the device always on. Here is what ThermoVape had to say about pulsing the switch and hot batteries.
You will actually increase battery life with the method of letting it cool between inhalations. To a degree battery function decreases as a function of heat, the hotter the battery the less the performance (same with really cold batteries, also decreases battery life, although the T1 is really good at warming up cold battery :)).

So you will get better battery performance, per use life span, as well as overall lifespan of the battery letting it rest between inhalations.

This is why the ideal use of the ThermoVape T1 or Evolution is to pulse the switch once vaporization temperature is reached. This not only helps to get increased tactile feedback as the vapor expresses itself over a broader temperature range, but also serves to give the batteries a break. The Heater core retains heat, and ramps back up to full temperature rapidly when warm. This makes for a perfect combination for a device that excels at being selectively activated. The result is increased battery life, and the device running cooler.

It is easy to do, once you are producing vapor, experiment with letting off the switch while continuing to inhale, then turning the switch back on when you sense the vapor is cooling or tapering off, repeat, you may be very surprised how much "off-time" a thermoVape can have while still producing a lot of vapor. Another trick is that usually up to the last 5 seconds of an inhale can be made with the switch in the off position (results vary depending on style).

Food for thought.

Cheers,

ThermoVape

PB88123,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
The Evolution works much better in this area. It runs 20amps (or is it watts, I forget) instead of 30, so it takes much longer to get hot, and you get better battery life from it. I know we are at a point of pushing limits with these devices for the battery power available to us. I know it can be frustrating, but think of it as pioneering to the next level. There will be a breaking point somewhere down the line where the AH HA! moment comes into light and either battery tech. improves, or another angle for heating our herbs will be discovered. I am not terribly upset about the limitations as I am glad to know these devices are here for us to use now, and only going to get better. The nice thing about the TV product line, if you decide to hang onto yours, is, it will last a long time. As the upgrades to trickle down, TV is making a point to make things modular, so we don't have to toss out what we have in order to use new products. I hope they are able to work it out so we get more battery life, with out having to scrap the entire unit design. So far I am very happy with all the efforts TV has been making to try to keep things working together. I have seen many products come and go that once the new one is out, the old one is no longer usable or compatable. Cellphones, computers, etc... we live with that all around us today.

jambandphan03,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Is the temperature around you warmer now? I've noticed when I'm outside in 85F (30C) and the sun is out the device will get hot after 2-4 hits. What I am going to try is pulsing the switch in hopes that it will keep the device from getting so hot so quickly. I'll have to break the old habit of keeping the device always on. Here is what ThermoVape had to say about pulsing the switch and hot batteries.

I have been using it mostly at my desk, and our ambient room temp is usually the same, lower 70's.

jambandphan03,

darkrom

Great Scott!
It gets annoying when using a vape has a laundry list like taking care of somebodies newborn.

It sounds like this vape isn't a good fit for you based on your replies. If I were you and didn't like how it worked as is I'd sell it while it has more resale value, and just wait and get the 18650 when/if it comes out so you don't feel cheated or whatever it is that has you feeling frustrated with the T1. Just my friendly advice since I can see you don't like the current design. Might as well sell it and wait for the design you do like.

darkrom,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
It gets annoying when using a vape has a laundry list like taking care of somebodies newborn.

I hear ya, we all look for different things in our vaping experience. I am a bit of a gadget geek, and it started with e cigs, trying to use them for medicating, and quickly moved towards vaping once I decided to cut back on combustion. I find my Solo works well for the turn it on and forget it until I'm done feature. It has its place in my daily rotation. I am hopeful that there will be some level of improvement in the TV products over time. The recent release of the Evolution was a good step in that direction.

I may also be trying to get too many hits from the T1 at a time. I have a tendency to be habitual with my "toking" practices. I will see if putting it down more frequently between hits doesn't help, rather than hitting, hitting again, hitting again, letting it get hot then putting it down, which has been my usual routine. The Evo is a bit more forgiving in this area, and switching back and forth between the Evo and the T1 is confusing my autopilot responses. Different heating times, different draw speed etc... I was just wondering if it could have been a problem with my batteries getting used up too fast or something. Might just be user error. I will work on that and see where it goes.

jambandphan03,

Adobewan

<So as it stands right now we can NOT recommend the PA, There is too much variation in the power supply being that its not a regulated power adapter.>

Have to jump in on this post.
I contacted Pipes about a PA a couple of weeks back and he was great throughout the exchange, even told me about another customer having a burn out, although he wasn't sure if it was due to the PA. I contacted Thermovape before using it on the TV and the Rev and got the go ahead from them. Also checked when purchasing the Evo and was told it did NOT work with the Evo.

Based on that, I had used it with the TV and the Rev and it works great. But after reading some of the recent posts thought I'd throw some thoughts in.

@Jam, I feel you, although glad you have the option to test it first. I do think Pipes did a good job and certainly had good intentions. If this is new info that has come to Thermovape's attention, that's understandable, but it seems, at least at one point, from Thermovape's POV, Pipes design was compatible with their's.
@TV, if I've burned out my core(or started the degradation), I'm glad the rebuild is only $15 but maybe this one should be covered.

On a completely different note, thought I'd shout out to the forum, anyone who hasn't seen Penn Jillette slamming the President on the hypocrisy of his current stand on cannabis will enjoy this.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...tes-rights-video_n_1533004.html?ref=marijuana

I am hopeful that there will be some level of improvement in the TV products over time. The recent release of the Evolution was a good step in that direction.

I'm hoping so too and I have faith in TV and their quality products. I'm just stuck in limbo wondering if there's an actual fix in the making or whether I should just give up.

Futuretvowner,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
Yep this is why I have been complaining about the batteries and asking TV when they will be coming out with there "thing" that could fully eliminate the future use of a PA device. This device is not good in its current state with batteries that have been through some use. I'm getting pretty frustrated at this point and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to sell my TV or if they are going to come out with something that makes it worth keeping. I'm holding on to it for the time being because they said they are working on some new stuff.
Perhaps a rapid charger?? Seems that would solve a lot of the problem. A charger that takes only 15 or 30 minutes would be a valuable addition!

:brow:

PhreedomPhries,
It sounds like this vape isn't a good fit for you based on your replies. If I were you and didn't like how it worked as is I'd sell it while it has more resale value, and just wait and get the 18650 when/if it comes out so you don't feel cheated or whatever it is that has you feeling frustrated with the T1. Just my friendly advice since I can see you don't like the current design. Might as well sell it and wait for the design you do like.

While your opinion on what I should and shouldn't do is greatly valued I happen to love the design of the TV and the way it functions, thats what drew me to it. What I do not like however is the batteries. I know the TV can be a great device when a BRAND NEW pair of batteries is put into them because I have had multiple sets of brand new batteries sent to me and everytime I use them the TV works like a beauty. The battery technology is out of TV's control and I'm hoping that they have a fix to this problem soon (which they've hinted they might have). If I didn't like the way the TV is designed and the way it functions when everything is 100% I would have sold it already, but I know what the device is capable of and I am willing to hold out for the better technology.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I am doing a battery test, I have a new set of 3.0's charging now. I just tried running a fresh load on my older batteries (charged today), got 2 good hits and everything started getting hot, so I took them out to cool. I will load the new batteries, with a fresh load, cool T1, and try to see if the heat builds up the same way with the new batteries. See if I notice anything different.

jambandphan03,
I am doing a battery test, I have a new set of 3.0's charging now. I just tried running a fresh load on my older batteries (charged today), got 2 good hits and everything started getting hot, so I took them out to cool. I will load the new batteries, with a fresh load, cool T1, and try to see if the heat builds up the same way with the new batteries. See if I notice anything different.
You will notice that it is going to feel like a COMPLETELY NEW vape. You will probably get a decent sized hit on the first heat up too. By the time the batteries go through some wear and tear it takes about 3 hits to start seeing some clouds.

Futuretvowner,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Yeah, it's got to be a battery issue, 4 hits in with the new batteries, and it is just starting to feel warm on the switch. I was getting 2 hits and the switch would get really hot if I went for a 3rd with my older batteries. Good to know it probably isn't a core problem, just my batteries getting used up. I may have put more strain on them than I realized at first, between using the Evo, and not understanding how it worked for the first week, and then adding the T1 to the mix, they have been getting a lot of use. Good to know.

jambandphan03,
Yeah, it's got to be a battery issue, 4 hits in with the new batteries, and it is just starting to feel warm on the switch. I was getting 2 hits and the switch would get really hot if I went for a 3rd. Good to know it probably isn't a core problem, just my batteries getting used up. I may have put more strain on them than I realized at first, between using the Evo, and not understanding how it worked for the first week, and then adding the T1 to the mix, they have been getting a lot of use. Good to know.
Yeah the device is great its the batteries that are the problem :bang: thats why I really want to hear what the new thing tv is developing because that could possibly make the T1 10X better

Futuretvowner,

OF

<So as it stands right now we can NOT recommend the PA, There is too much variation in the power supply being that its not a regulated power adapter.>

I contacted Thermovape before using it on the TV and the Rev and got the go ahead from them. Also checked when purchasing the Evo and was told it did NOT work with the Evo.

Based on that, I had used it with the TV and the Rev and it works great. But after reading some of the recent posts thought I'd throw some thoughts in.

@Jam, I feel you, although glad you have the option to test it first. I do think Pipes did a good job and certainly had good intentions. If this is new info that has come to Thermovape's attention, that's understandable, but it seems, at least at one point, from Thermovape's POV, Pipes design was compatible with their's.

I'm afraid there's some misunderstanding going on here somewhere. If it turns out (as I think it will) that the Pipes unit is a good match for SV T1s but puts out too much voltage for Evolution (which again I think is the case, but haven't tested fully yet) due to the lower load current (less voltage drop under load), Revolution (and DART) are definitely off the list since they have even lower current draw and therefore even lower drop for higher voltage still. At least I think that's how it will play out when I get a chance to carefully test it. Unfortunately that will take a few days as I'm slated to test the 8 prototype which I also got today along with TV's copy of 'the Pipes adapter'.

FWIW, I also picked up one of these very interesting supplies:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2144956_-1?CID=PDF

If you don't have a spare 'mickey mouse ears' cord, you might want to get this one:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...oreId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=1951123

It seems at first blush to be ideal for driving the SV Evolution, Revolution, DART and e-cig stuff. Not T1 or any of the LV stuff. I've quickly checked it out, it seems well protected and drives my SV Evolution at least as good as the batteries do with fresh charge. We measured 6.23 Volts with no load, and 6.11 fully loaded with an Evolution core....it's not going to get any better than that I think.

I'm posting this preliminary information for the guys with Pipes units to consider. It's cheap, seems well protected, is very small compared to the Pipes transformer, runs cold and seems to do an outstanding job. It also pulgs directly in where the Pipes transformer used to.

OF

Adobewan

@OF
Sorry if I was confused or confusing. It's my understanding that Thermovape has said the PA is not recommended for their products. Is it in fact OK for the TV but not the Revolution, Evolution, nor Dart?

Adobewan,

OF

@OF
Sorry if I was confused or confusing. It's my understanding that Thermovape has said the PA is not recommended for their products. Is it in fact OK for the TV but not the Revolution, Evolution, nor Dart?

Not to worry, you're far from being alone there. There's a lot of confusion, plenty for everyone.

I can't say what's official for TV, I don't work for them. I hang out there sometimes, stick my nose in where I'm welcome, and test some gear for them when asked. They definitely don't 'tell me everything' or even very much not told the public at all. Often it's strictly 'need to know'. For instance I know they're working on a bigger battery supply, but I honestly don't know what shape it will be or what battery....all I know for sure is it will fit in with the existing products. They're very big on that 'family' stuff.

I do know they're tying to support end user experiments like Pipe's. They even asked me if I thought an 'experimenter model' was a good idea but we couldn't tie down what that might be (higher voltage? Lower power for longer battery life?). I know Pipes and they are working together, they loaned me their copy of his unit.

The Pipes unit is not regulated. Neither are the PD and the other log vapes AFAIK. What's more it has a fair bit of 'source resistance' that is the output voltage drops under load, the bigger the load (more power) the bigger the drop (and therefore safer from an overvoltage standpoint). Batteries don't do this as much, at least the ones useful to us. This (source resistance) is the reason some of the attractive 'better' batteries (higher mAh ratings) aren't a good idea for us. They won't give us serious power on demand but rather modest levels for long times.

All this means that a system like Pipes is using is going to be 'tuned' for one load level. It's going to give the right (6 Volts for SV) voltage for that load, but lower ones for heavier loads and (more importantly) higher voltage for lower current loads. If it's right for T1 it will be too high for Evolution and higher still for Revolution. And even higher with no load in fact. Regulated supplies correct for this which is why the Jameco unit is probably a better option where it will work (all SV units except T1).

I can't speak for TV or Pipes, but IMO Pipe's adapter cable (correctly installed) will plug into the Jameco supply and give good service for Evolution, Revolution and DART. At least so far.

From my brief look at the Pipes unit it seems to me it's probably also good when correctly matched to the load. Start plugging lower current devices in (Evolution, Revolution, DART, the e-cig stuff) and I'm betting you start blowing heaters. We know from our Omicron experiences 'hot off the charger' can be a problem, using this guy on low current loads when it's tuned for T1 is 'smoking hot' off the charger. On steroids, with turbocharging. If it doesn't blow up, it could be a great ride. But......

Confusing enough?

Hopefully it'll get a little clearer with some more testing. But right now I've got fairly high confidence the Jameco supply is a good match for most of the TV SV devices. Perhaps someday TV will introduce an interface but for now the best way to connect that supply to the Evolution or other device is the Pipes adapter.

"Aside from that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?". Quick trivia freaks, anyone know the name of the play?

OF

OF,
Top Bottom