Discontinued Thermovape Cera

toros23

Bob - How can you see it puff out the 4 screw holes when you puff? Are you talking about the 4 holes in the ceramic body? If so I don't think that would be conclusive evidence based on what I know of the design. If the vapor was coming out the bottom of the cart instead of the screw holes it would still puff out the sides of the ceramic body.

I think the real test here might be to heat the cart a little with the button, then unscrew and blow through the top or bottom of the cart to see what the air is doing. You may not need to heat but it might help if something is clogged.

toros23,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
Bob - How can you see it puff out the 4 screw holes when you puff? Are you talking about the 4 holes in the ceramic body? If so I don't think that would be conclusive evidence based on what I know of the design. If the vapor was coming out the bottom of the cart instead of the screw holes it would still puff out the sides of the ceramic body.

I think the real test here might be to heat the cart a little with the button, then unscrew and blow through the top or bottom of the cart to see what the air is doing. You may not need to heat but it might help if something is clogged.
look at my last post w/ a pic showing the nibbler attached. the four holes below the glass are very visible
not using the cera battery. talking about the EO. it says not to blow back into the core somewhere so i am not amped to do that unless it's empty. have tried blowing thru the "bottom". no got until i pass the set screws

EDIT - here
IMG_1512.JPG

p.s. removed silicone ring to allow all possible airflow

JoeKickass

Also, I use a 510 tip connected to silicone tubing so I noticed right away that if you pull too hard you get splatters of oil out the top, I noticed little drops on my MP tube. But if you pull slow to medium you get very little mess :tup:

But yeah if there's still wax covering the ceramic it will bubble and pop and make a bigger mess, just cycle on and off until it drains inside

JoeKickass,
Reactions: OF

OF

p.s. removed silicone ring to allow all possible airflow

By all means do. The silicone is really to keep it from rattling in the package. You need to have a gap under the body above the threads to let air in. Look for four small vent holes under the skit in line with the setscrews. The vent holes and tapped holes go through the same wall of the sleeve but the screws fill the threads so the air is most likely leaking up past the sleeve top.

If you want to leave it on, a couple of notches in the top edge of the tube should let it vent freely.

My guess is you've got some oil baked in the bottom of the cart blocking the vents. It may be time for a serious clean out? I think you're working too hard.

OF

OF,
Reactions: toros23

GR

I was having a great EO session when my Cera went cold. Checked the leaf cart with three other charged batteries and no heat or glow. I was just thinking this morning I needed to put the Cera away for a few days, I need to be more careful in what I think, lol.

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
By all means do. The silicone is really to keep it from rattling in the package. You need to have a gap under the body above the threads to let air in. Look for four small vent holes under the skit in line with the setscrews. The vent holes and tapped holes go through the same wall of the sleeve but the screws fill the threads so the air is most likely leaking up past the sleeve top.

If you want to leave it on, a couple of notches in the top edge of the tube should let it vent freely.

My guess is you've got some oil baked in the bottom of the cart blocking the vents. It may be time for a serious clean out? I think you're working too hard.

OF
yea, it was just there for protection. wasn't impeding anything
this is all post clean. major iso flush, 20 min boil, dry, refill
and now i feel crazy (doesn't take much) but i don't have any holes between the set screws and the threads, pulled out a magnifying glass and everything. can someone please illustrate?

Sorry man, didn't know you were talking about that setup... Just trying to help out.
no sweat, sorry if i sounded curt. 'preciate the efforts

Bob Loblaw,

toros23

but i don't have any holes between the set screws and the threads, pulled out a magnifying glass and everything. can someone please illustrate?

Starting from the bottom of the cart, you have the screw that touches the end of the battery.. Then the threads.. Next is a flange (for lack of better term). Then there should be a tiny gap between the flange and the body of the cart, maybe 1 or 2mm, and it is in that gap where you may be able to see the holes. I think if you are getting airflow from someplace else or if your oil is too runny it will clog those holes very quickly and then you would not be able to see them or pull air through them unless completely cleaned or heated up. I cannot see my holes on either of my EO carts now but I could see them when I first got them and they were completely clean. I think someone else posted an illustration in here, will go back and see if I can find it for you.
edit - having said all of that, if you are getting air through your screw holes with the screws inserted, I don't think that is normal and might warrant check-up at the shop.​

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
Starting from the bottom of the cart, you have the screw that touches the end of the battery.. Then the threads.. Next is a flange (for lack of better term). Then there should be a tiny gap between the flange and the body of the cart, maybe 1 or 2mm, and it is in that gap where you may be able to see the holes. I think if you are getting airflow from someplace else or if your oil is too runny it will clog those holes very quickly and then you would not be able to see them or pull air through them unless completely cleaned or heated up. I cannot see my holes on either of my EO carts now but I could see them when I first got them and they were completely clean. I think someone else posted an illustration in here, will go back and see if I can find it for you.

edit - having said all of that, if you are getting air through your screw holes with the screws inserted, I don't think that is normal and might warrant check-up at the shop.
wow, i can't find them at all, not in the pic from TV, either
servlet.ImageServer

Bob Loblaw,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
nope, mine is flush like the pic. i couldn't fit anything in there. not paper, advertisement slick from the mail, nothin

EDIT - i even held a mirror up to see where those puffs where comin' from and it's right out the set screw holes. screws are there.

Bob Loblaw,

toros23

There should be a tiny gap there. Might even be less than 1mm. If I use a runny liquid, I start to get accumulation there in that gap. I also run with three screws on one of my carts, so that could also be why that happens to me.

toros23,

OF

nope, mine is flush like the pic. i couldn't fit anything in there. not paper, advertisement slick from the mail, nothin

EDIT - i even held a mirror up to see where those puffs where comin' from and it's right out the set screw holes. screws are there.

It's not actually. The large hole in the bottom center of the body has a slight countersink on it that forms a bevel so there's no top corner? The air goes in there. There's a similar bevel on the top edge of the flange just above the threads, you can see it in the photo above were the arrows are? Just above there. Notice you can slip a couple sheets of paper in under that flange?. It the camera above was half an inch or so further down you could see it in the photo above.

The holes are half covered (by design) by the body, they're directly under the screws. You can only see them from the side and under good light and magnification usually. Having a LL cart (much bigger countersink in the ceramic body, the holes are wide open rather than blocked, makes it easier to see.

This is what the inner sleeve looks like:

The threaded hole you can see in the center, to it's left is one of the holes used to secure the heater, below it, before the flange, is the vent. In the LL and EL cores this hole is not covered, in the EO core it's a little over half covered and buried deep in the crack. You can barely see the top edge of the hole in this shot of the assembled core if you look very closely:

Look for it just above the flash line in the metal lighting. It's a dark crescent on end even with the line through the larger hole the setscrew is in. Tiny and very hard to find for sure, the tiny part is part of the job, the hard to find part just a bonus......

OF

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
seriously? so the tv pic doesn't show the gap and holes, my cart doesn't have gap
or holes, you say there are, but you can't see the holes now, and so does OF.
i hear this in my head....

The threaded hole you can see in the center, to it's left is one of the holes used to secure the heater, below it, before the flange, is the vent. In the LL and EL cores this hole is not covered, in the EO core it's a little over half covered and buried deep in the crack. You can barely see the top edge of the hole in this shot of the assembled core if you look very closely:

Look for it just above the flash line in the metal lighting. It's a dark crescent on end even with the line through the larger hole the setscrew is in. Tiny and very hard to find for sure, the tiny part is part of the job, the hard to find part just a bonus......

OF
gotcha, i feel like mine is just tightened in a way that makes it completely covered and has no crack. paper only goes in as far as the beveled edge. should i send back to TV? the limited air flow is my only complaint. if air is only coming thru my set screws, won't that leave a bunch at the base like Tim was warning would happen if you removed set screws?

video of mine

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

Bob Loblaw,
Reactions: ShipDit

OF

i swear to you that is not a gap, it's just the beveled edge. whatever, it hits, i love it. stop making me feel crazy! lol

Bob, it's completely normal. You're not the only one to question this, I took the first core I got back for this very reason. You've seen the photo of the inner part, the holes are for sure there. Not only are they screw machine parts (so they're basically as perfect as machines can make them) they're each inspected very carefully at the assembly stage. The vents are inspected for debris then. Those holes are critical and used in all carts. The gap you showed is normal. You do see there's a tiny gap there? That's not an accident. Send it in if you want, but IMO it's a waste of time. The vents are there and must be plugged in your case. You did not get the only bad core in creation.

All that not withstanding, you're still crazy of course. And we have proof of that too.

OF

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
i believe the holes are there, however i don't believe that the gap on mine is wide enough to allow acces to those holes. the gap is made by the bevel. there is no room after this. it has been that way since the beginning. i just cleaned the crap out of this thing and hadn't put more than a couple grams thru it in the first place. I CAN see the holes in both of your pics, but no matter how close i look w/ a magnifying glass, with macro shots w/ my cameras, this crescent crack that IS visible in yours just isn't on mine. am gonna tape the set screw holes, crank up the heat and hook it up to my vacuum pump to see if that pulls anything thru anywhere else.

i believe the holes are there, however i don't believe that the gap on mine is wide enough to allow acces to those holes. the gap is made by the bevel. there is no room after this. it has been that way since the beginning. i just cleaned the crap out of this thing and hadn't put more than a couple grams thru it in the first place. I CAN see the holes in both of your pics, but no matter how close i look w/ a magnifying glass, with macro shots w/ my cameras, this crescent crack that IS visible in yours just isn't on mine. am gonna tape the set screw holes, crank up the heat and hook it up to my vacuum pump to see if that pulls anything thru anywhere else.
ok, did that. taped up the holes w/ some elec. tape, hooked it up to vac pump. let her rip for a minute or two. now there is the SLIGHTEST crack of air coming thru when i draw with all of my breath. barely enough to milk a toke. it's like drawing thru a clogged up omi cart. if this is where the bulk of my air flow is supposed to be coming from then i do have a problem, as mine is still gonna come from the set screw holes if i want to use this thing. is it really so implausible that when tightened down, my holes were covered? i know this stuff is fairly precisely machined, but i know when doing household stuff with screws that when you tighten stuff down it isn't always exactly where you started. does that make sense?

would suck to send it in for no reason and you guys are making me doubt myself contrary to all of my senses.....
i mean, this does work, but if i am suffering from diminished flow, and that lack of flow will leave a bunch of stuff not getting vaped at the bottom, like Tim mentioned, then i feel it might be worth it.

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
YESSSSSSSS my cera is back home, I feel like Golem with "my precious".

enjoy! i am right now!

Okay, whatever you say.....
it's hard for me to hear you say that you see a gap better than i can at 20x magnification in my hand. do you understand what i meant by bevel? the 45 deg. angled edge that meets up directly with the bottom of the main cart. no 1mm gap. i worked in production, i know what a mm looks like, there isn't half of that.

all i really need to know is if i am risking fouling up this cart permanently if i am not getting anymore airflow than a clogged omi cart if the set screws are covered. will run it down again and do one more cleaning, but the rest of this is semantic (holes or no holes, there is no flow.)

last pic
IMG_1518.JPG

Bob Loblaw,
Reactions: ShipDit

toros23

it's hard for me to hear you say that you see a gap better than i can at 20x magnification in my hand. do you understand what i meant by bevel? the 45 deg. angled edge that meets up directly with the bottom of the main cart. no 1mm gap. i worked in production, i know what a mm looks like, there isn't half of that.

all i really need to know is if i am risking fouling up this cart permanently if i am not getting anymore airflow than a clogged omi cart if the set screws are covered. will run it down again and do one more cleaning, but the rest of this is semantic (holes or no holes, there is no flow.)

Just my opinion based on what all 3 of the EO carts I've owned have looked like. There is no way I can know for sure but based on your last test it sounds like there is a small amount of air getting through the bottom, right?

The gap on your cart looks like all my other EO carts. The only thing that sounds odd to me about your setup is air getting through the threaded screw holes, this has not happened on any of mine although it was said recently that this has been known to happen and should not be an issue.

I say stick with it and weigh carefully to make sure there is no waste. I don't really get any airflow through that gap in the bottom but it has not been an issue yet. As for fouling out, if you can boil the thing and soak in ISO and do 20/20 burns empty, then I think you should be okay - but TET would need to answer that to be sure.

If vapor is flowing and everything taste right, just sit back and enjoy! :)

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
By using the screen mag (CNTL mouse wheel) to closely look at OFs pic vs Bob's pic of the area in question it seems Bob's unit is missing the gap. You can see a piece of the hole in OF's shot. Also notice OF's unit's set screw is backed off in comparison to Bob's. Maybe a clue?
An email to TET might be best.

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
enjoy! i am right now!

last pic
IMG_1518.JPG
Bob, I totally understand not wanting to part ways with EO cart, but it sounds to me your right, Your Eo cart works great but with the proper flow from under the cart you will get even better hits , i think its out of spec, it can happen!!!!!
If no air is coming from that gap thats supposed to be there ,then some of your concentrates are probably sitting at the bottom!!!
When i cover my 4 set screw holes I still get A loud hiss of air flow from that gap between screw head on bottom and the core it self!!!!

Edit
On a side note, I heat up alcohol and use hot almost boiling ISO to STRIP CERA Clean!!!! Do it at your own risk!!!!!

I still think air not coming in from the bottom is making cera work to hard and even though your getting thick hits , with it properly venting from bottom youll get way bigger denser hits is what i noticed!!!!!

Top Bottom