Discontinued Thermovape Cera (Original thread, closed because of chaos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Good call tweek, but I am sure I won't be the last to ask about this, so it's good to have the discussion and get the info straight for others as well, but I am happy you are supporting TET and keeping things simple! I sure could use some help in that area.

bopper

TET doesn't specify exactly which Japanese cell it uses

Thanks for the informative response.

Didn't Noah state that they used Panasonic 2900mAh batteries?

I just bought the charger from Thermovape. I don't like stressing over little details. :smug:

Excellent info Haywood :tup:

Thats what I would have done, if it indicated that it also charged 14500 batteries. :)

Best,

bopper

bopper,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
I seem to recall he only specified "Japanese", not "Panasonic". He also mentioned (somewhere) that TET had found some good Korean manufactured cells, and that as cell technology improved, TET would keep up on providing the best cells that money can buy. :)

Haywood,
Reactions: ShipDit

bopper

He subsequently indicated that Panasonic and Samsung batteries represented the best current choice, but, if memory serves, he indicated that they were using Panasonic. Perhaps it was just an inference, but it still appears to be right. Perhaps Noah can set us straight, but I'm getting ready for the Niners to handle Miami.

Best,

bopper

bopper,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
He might have mentioned it in a video because I too remember reading/hearing about Panasonic 2900's. I remember because of the Powerex 2700's on my desk and the fact that my TV is Panasonic. Just what I related to the specific battery. I know, my brain is weird. I'm confident in saying Panasonic 2900.

Quetzalcoatl,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Just slower. This is not rocket science, though from the discussions here it seems like a lot of people think it is.

The TET factory supplied battery provides about 3000mAh. If your charger can supply 1A of current, it will take approximately 3 hours to charge a depleted battery (while the charge process isn't 100% efficient, the battery also won't be totally dead, so for a "pretty much" depleted battery will take about 3 hours). If you charge it at a 500mA rate, it will take about 6 hours; 600mA rate, about 5 hours. If you charge it at a 2A rate, it will take about an hour and a half; 3A rate, about an hour.

There are lower and upper limits to the amount of current you can supply when charging a battery. If you supply too much current, you will reduce the number of cycles you get out of the battery; if you supply way to much current, and you're not using a protected battery, you'll blow up the battery. If you supply too little current (say .1C or less, or 300mA or less for the battery we're talking about), it will take forever to recharge the battery (10+ hours), and depending on the design of the charger, may fool it into not recognizing the end of charge cycle properly (though this does NOT generally happen with lithium based batteries, only NiMH batteries).

Keeping in mind that TET emphatically says that you MUST use a protected battery, it's not likely that you can overcharge their battery to the point of it venting (exploding). TET doesn't specify exactly which Japanese cell it uses, nor does TET exactly specify what the values are for the protection circuit it incorporates. The protection circuitry for a lithium battery is designed to prevent the charger from supplying too much voltage and current and from letting the battery discharge at too great a rate, or to too low a voltage. That's its purpose in life.

Also typically for lithium cells of the type that TET supplies, you can discharge at a rate up to 2 or 3 C (i.e., 6 to 9 amps for the cell in question). Charge rate maximums, however, vary greatly depending on the cell's exact chemistry and physical design, so it's not wise to speculate without knowing exactly which cell TET is going to settle on. Some lithium cells (not the one that comes with the Cera!) are designed to be charged at up to 15C. In no case do you have to worry about charging at .5C, which in this case is 1.5A. There is also no safety concern that I've read about charging at the 1C rate, which is 3A; charging at the 1C rate likely reduces the number of charge/discharge cycles slightly compared to charging at .5C rates. That said, the real answer for maximum charge rate should come from TET, not from me or anyone else here. The protection circuit they use will also impact the maximum charge rate, as that's one of the parameters it's "protecting".

I use one of those "complicated computer controlled charger/dischargers" that Noah mentioned, and so I can program what rates and voltages and methodology are used. Unless Noah tells me otherwise, I plan on charging my Cera battery at the .5C rate (1.5A) if I'm in no rush, and the 1C rate (3A) if I am. Before I charge it at the 1C rate, I plan on getting permission from Noah. :)

Speaking of which, why speculate...

Hey Noah: What is the recommended and maximum charge current for the new Cera cells?

Yes this is rocket science to some of us. I felt like was reading my college textbooks. Hats off to you for explaining that.:clap: I had to figure out what A was which was easy but the C was a bit harder. I had to google what it was. I still don't understand it well but the end of your post made it fairly clear or as clear as it is going to get for me. At least I won't be as lost when you all start talking about that stuff. My eyes won't glaze over as much.

Haywood I would like your post 5 times if I could.

OF

OK

In Noah's reply to me here is a link to a listing for the Pila IBC charger. Is there another Pila charger?

I was hoping you'd tell me when you showed where he recommended it for charging the Cera battery? Then maybe I could understand your 'accusing' him of recommending lower than normal charging currents. That was your point in quoting him, wasn't it?

If you posted a link to this, I can't fine it??

I seem to recall he only specified "Japanese", not "Panasonic". He also mentioned (somewhere) that TET had found some good Korean manufactured cells, and that as cell technology improved, TET would keep up on providing the best cells that money can buy. :)

I also recall a lot of this, also Sanyo (?), maybe that was in relation to Korean? To be honest, I didn't pay that much attention to that part since the protection PCB (added here) is a major player as well. We can't buy the exact battery cheaper elsewhere it seems. I'm sure over time guys will have good experiences (and bad no doubt) with others to report in this application. Right now there's only one bunch with such experience....

For now I'm content to trust the testing TV has done.

OF

OF,

harmudge

Well, just bit the bullet and got a Cera on order...the Mrs is buying, for Christmas....so may the wait be short and sweet.

For the TET guy's...any rough idea on when my Cera would be built and ready for shipping if the first builds do start tomorrow ??

harmudge,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I believe this was the post in question. Way back on page 46.
Was a pain to find but I remember he said Tenergy in there somewhere.

SIDE NOTE:
Chargers. BTW a note on chargers. The Tenergy charger we sell works very well for charging the Japanes cells. It works better then a wf-188 or equivelent. If the PC is tripped the Tenergy charger reliable resets the PCB instantly upn insertion in the charger bay.

If you want the "best" charger for vaping IMO, without going really crazy with programmable/configurable chargers is the Pila brand.

Batteries: AW batteries are the best batteries, made in China. Panasonic cells from Japan, and Samsumg Cells from korea both outperform AW cells. ANY CELL/BATTERY USED IN THE CERA MUST BE PROTECTED.

IMHO it is best to avoid purchasing the newest. highest capacity battery. They tend to not outperform the cell just below (largely because of optimization wit continued production). So what I mean is that if you can get a 3300 mAh panasonic, or a 3100mAh, or a 2900mAh. There will be very little/if any perceived performance improvement.

Pila Charger Link to Lighthound

Allright, everything is blurry... closing eyes.

Cheers,

Noah

Pipes

OF

I believe this was the post in question. Way back on page 46.
Was a pain to find but I remember he said Tenergy in there somewhere.

Thanks, Pipes, good find. That ties several loose ends down, including the odd Korean connection.

WFIW I like my 188 but the new one will add more charge to batteries fully charged on it, but not the other way around.

OF

Tweek

Well, just bit the bullet and got a Cera on order...the Mrs is buying, for Christmas....so may the wait be short and sweet.

For the TET guy's...any rough idea on when my Cera would be built and ready for shipping if the first builds do start tomorrow ??

Sorry, I don't think I understood your post correctly...did you say YOUR WIFE is buying this for you? I sure hope you bought her one hell of a Christmas present :D

harmudge

Yes Tweek, the Mrs is buying this for me as a Christmas present....lucky,lucky man I am (got to add that in, seems she's been peeking in reading the thread...lol).

Yes, for her...a nice pair of boots and other bits and pieces.

@ OF...sure, UPS or Fed-Ex...lol.

Is there any way to know if my preorder will be in the first shipping? If I lived in California I would definitely take a day off and come put together some cera's especially if I could pick mine up at the end of the day without it having to be in the mail for a few days.

Experience,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I'm buying my wife lots of really nice gifts, in preparation of her finding out I bought the Cera. :whip:

Me too ! and if she freaks, I have a lump of coal in the shed & I'll return her stuff for credit :lol: <--- obviously I'm kidding :uhoh:

But, sneaky as I'm usually not.... I did ask her permission while she was half asleep, and recorded it all on my Iphone :nod:

"Boys And Their Toys" is more than just a saying....... its a LIFESTYLE :evil:

Snart420

7:10 Again
I just bought the charger from Thermovape. I don't like stressing over little details. :smug:

Excellent info Haywood :tup:
How do you order just the charger it wont let me. When i try to order the charger only it makes me order another cera .

Snart420,

OF

Although never tested, my guess is Cera will perform just as well in dog houses. just make sure you have a couple extra batteries.

Good point. Smart guys might just skip the usual gifts and think a new comfortable couch is a better call?

Too bad that 'wife buying vapes for hubby's web buds' didn't catch on, I thought it had great potential.....

OF

JoeKickass

So I guess what I really want to know here, is what will happen, if I use the Xtar WP2 to charge the TET battery. Will it blow up, kill the battery, just charge slower etc... that's what I am trying to work out at this point.

Just slower. This is not rocket science, though from the discussions here it seems like a lot of people think it is.
Not any slower, I would bet the same or maybe faster:

This is the charger TV sells: Tenergy 2CH 18650 Charger

"Output: DC 4.2V 1000mA per channel"

I have the xtar too, it charges 500mA (for small batteries) or the full 1000mA.
(not sure where 600mA came from?)

On 1 Amp (1000mA) setting, less than 3 hours easy peezy ;)

Yep, they're talking USB port output, not charger output. It's 600mA (or less) it seems there (where it counts).

If that's OK for you will have to remain your call, I've no free advice for your situation I'm afraid.

Actually it seems like a input rating, the changer is powered by a USB port, there'd be no reason to have a USB charge port on it.

OF
Nope, the USB setting is an output for charging your phone from a battery:
You put a lithium battery (any size) in slot 1, set to USB, the usb light will turn on and charge your usb device, no wall socket required.

Bart

Mine is a present from the wife too!!! But there's always a catch. She got me the t1 for my birthday , I had to get her one two weeks later when she started taking it with HER everywhere she went. I'm guessing the cera will be confiscated even quicker. Might as well just get a pink wrap for it to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom