Discontinued Thermovape Alpha Ultralite

jpdnkstr

A slight advantage to LV in hit count (a bit over 10% IIRC) against a couple seconds faster heat up time. IMO close enough to be a push.

If you have SV stuff already, go that way, not enough gain to merit the costs. If you have no T1 (or future desire for one), I'd go LV. In either case battery changes are easy enough to do (and eventually necessary) you have to stop to load more goods anyway.....

LV also has more options, like running Omicron carts on an adapter, which is also nice. More other options for supplies exist as well.

Either way will make you happy I bet.

OF
I love being able to throw an Omi cart(1.5Ohm) on my LV(3.7) power supply, after my DART runs dry!

LV also has more options, like running Omicron carts on an adapter, which is also nice. More other options for supplies exist as well.

I love being able to throw an Omi cart(1.5Ohm) on my LV(3.7) power supply, after my DART runs dry!

Thanks for the help, guys! Awesome suggestions. I'll definitely be adding some D9 gadgetry to my assortment in the future.

My Revo Dart/Evo combo kit is on its way. I can't wait to fire 'em up. :D

I have little-to-no knowledge about electronics, so a lot of this stuff is over my head. In general, more mod options exist for LV setups than SV?

UpUpandAway,

OF

Thanks for the help, guys!

I have little-to-no knowledge about electronics, so a lot of this stuff is over my head. In general, more mod options exist for LV setups than SV?

You're welcome, glad to help out when I can.

While I'm not comfortable with "mod" options (I'm not at all sure what that means, let alone what another guy might think), but yes Low Voltage is much more a standard thing than Standard Voltage. What else would you expect? The other way around would make sense.... The range from say 3.2 to four Volts or so is full of e-cig and THC vape stuff. You can swap various maker's LV stuff back and forth with a couple of cheap thread adapters needed sometimes. So the Omicron carts (designed to self feed hash oil for a 100 hits or more) intended to run in 'their' LV range will work just fine on TV's supply (often called a 'battery', but that's really the bit inside the supply.....and if there's only one, it's not a battery, but a cell....).

Learn to your TV stuff, take your time, this can wait. The two systems follow different use rules, I wouldn't try to learn both at the same time. Then wonder back, you'll need a five dollar adapter and a few ten dollar carts and some tasty concentrates to put in them, but it adds another 'James Bond' level to the TV supply. Unscrew this, screw on that, now you're vaping a different strain and it's feeding itself hit after hit after hit......

The educated owner can assemble some very useful tools, keen stuff.

Best wishes with your new gear.

OF

Learn to your TV stuff, take your time, this can wait. The two systems follow different use rules, I wouldn't try to learn both at the same time. Then wonder back, you'll need a five dollar adapter and a few ten dollar carts and some tasty concentrates to put in them, but it adds another 'James Bond' level to the TV supply. Unscrew this, screw on that, now you're vaping a different strain and it's feeding itself hit after hit after hit......

The educated owner can assemble some very useful tools, keen stuff.

Totally agree. Based on my lurking/research, both the D9 and TV lineups have strong followings. Despite some concerns about battery life, I decided to start off with TV b/c I like design of the ceramic heater core.

Portable vaping, particularly for concentrates, is a whole new world for me and I've learned that it's definitely not the same as sucking on a 'cano balloon; toking technique plays a huge part in the experience. I'm having a ton of fun and am sure that my TV goodies will keep me preoccupied for a while. :brow:

Looking forward to learning a lot more!

UpUpandAway,
Reactions: OF

707vallejo707

NorCalLeftSideWe$tSide
You guys have an idea of how hot the heat on the ultra w/ lv dart is? I realized the ultra didn't come with a sleeve, do they even make sleeves for the ultra?

707vallejo707,
Reactions: jpdnkstr

jpdnkstr

You guys have an idea of how hot the heat on the ultra w/ lv dart is? I realized the ultra didn't come with a sleeve, do they even make sleeves for the ultra?
Literally received my Alpha Ultra less than an hour ago! So far heat isn't an issue even with 3-4 back to back draws(LV DART) My LV DART seems to be performing noticeably better on the Ultra than on my Omi V2.5 (running AW IMR 14500 w/HVD Spring bottom)

I'm guessing more resistance with adapter, and in the Omi head?

OF

My LV DART seems to be performing noticeably better on the Ultra than on my Omi V2.5 (running AW IMR 14500 w/HVD Spring bottom)

I'm guessing more resistance with adapter, and in the Omi head?

Yes, about .3 Volt more advantage to Ultra, more with really fresh batteries. It's nearly a push with the HVD top due to no regulator. Despite the widespread idea that V2.5 is not regulated, my tests of the two units I bought say otherwise, IMO it's regulated like V2 (which is probably why it came out so quick?). All the 'better' IMR 14550 does is let the V2.5 make it to that voltage, basically putting it on par with HVD on the 14650 supplied. Changing to 14500 boosts that up another .3 Volts with HVD, putting it close to the Ultra.

Best cast, V2 and V2.5 output 3.3 Volts max. HVD can go to 3.7 or more with fresh 14500s. Right into the area Ultra is.

I found no losses in adapters in any tests. The extra losses (past those heating the battery) seem to all be in the V2 or V2.5 head. Ultra, not having any such circuits, has no such losses. And no short circuit protection.....

OF

OF

Cool I also seen these http://www.lighthound.com/AW-14500-Protected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_96.html and also was wondering what the difference was between the ones TV sells. Does 750 mahs mean longer run time?

I haven't tried that version of protected Li ions, but am confident they'll have the same Internal Resistance issues as the rest. So you'll run longer and cooler on the vape end and hotter in battery 'self heating'. Not IMO a good trade off.

For sure I see this when testing my similar batteries (from another maker) which work fine in regulated flashlights.

There's a reason that IMRs with their higher cost, shorter cycle life, and lower capacity are the 'smart money' choice, I'd stick with 'em.

OF

OF,

707vallejo707

NorCalLeftSideWe$tSide
So the red 14500's are the way to go? Ok good to know. Cause I bought an extra one. I was reading that the ultra on lv dart will get about 50-75 hits? Man battery knowledge for these things are in a whole new world of their own.

707vallejo707,

OF

So the red 14500's are the way to go? Ok good to know. Cause I bought an extra one. I was reading that the ultra on lv dart will get about 50-75 hits? Man battery knowledge for these things are in a whole new world of their own.

Ignoring color, IMR 14500s are generally better for our use than any protected cells (like Li ions), tough, strong performers, but with about half the total cycle life and maybe 2/3 the total capacity. Generally they will run cooler themselves, put more heat in the load and need charging more often. IMO, the way to go.

AW brand IMRs are generally considered the highest quality in that class and demand a dollar or more premium....and again, IMO, well worth seeking out. You need to look for the oval AW sticker, usually above and left of the printed label on the battery side.

Yes, these details are important. A good rule of thumb might be 'the maker thought this through carefully and put the best available unit in the box' (not always true, sometimes they opt for cheaper) since they want happy owners. IMO TV did it's homework here, big time. Guys who jump on 'better' ones they come across on the internet generally wish they hadn't.

Best wishes. Stay open minded and objective, follow good results and you'll do fine. Not a good time to get 'mind blocked'.

OF

jpdnkstr

Cool I also seen these http://www.lighthound.com/AW-14500-Protected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_96.html and also was wondering what the difference was between the ones TV sells. Does 750 mahs mean longer run time?
These are the 14500's that I just received with my Ultra kit.(the pic on TV sit shows the IMR orange ones) I already have some of them(orange IMR), so I thought I would give the protected(black) a try. Haven't had enough time with the protected, but am very pleased with the IMR's so far.

I'm still not sure about 50-75 hits?(maybe with 17670)

jpdnkstr,

Nic

Just put 0.75g of wax in a 2.4 omi cart and fired it up through the Ultralite! First time Omi usage of any kind. Surprisingly easy. Used the funnel and my torch very carefully. The hits are less subtle than I expected. Very pleased with my early results!

Sidebar: Converter is needed for omi carts. 510 male to m601 female (with air-slits along edge).

707vallejo707

NorCalLeftSideWe$tSide
Ok so on TV's site I thought the 14500 batteries I ordered for my utra would be 600 mAh but they turned out to be 750 mAh. No biggie, I used this thing on the way to Sacramento had 3 spare batteries charging didn't take too long. I love how this thing hits, it's perfect with the lv rev, still trying to see the usage specs, but 3-4 hits is not a problem w the heat. Why do I vet waste time with ego batts. TV makes tanks for PV's

707vallejo707,
Hey,

So along with my typical testing and such, i decided to bust out my UltraLite with a Rev-LV Saturday night at the bar.

Let me just say, i was surprised with this little sucker! I think it had to do with me using one of my semi old 10440's that has a bunch of cycles through it, but i only changed the batteries once the whole night!!!!! and it was being passed around all night, probably a good .5 of concentrate!

Next weekend will be some Ultra testing ;)

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

How did you condition your 10440?

UpUpandAway,

jpdnkstr

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
wise words jpdnkstr, I have a pair of the trust fires I used to use in my hvd with spring bottom/lv dart. Nothing special, I remember being more impressed with the AW's mentioned, because I packed the trustfires up, kept the AW's in the case.

OF

wise words jpdnkstr, I have a pair of the trust fires I used to use in my hvd with spring bottom/lv dart. Nothing special, I remember being more impressed with the AW's mentioned, because I packed the trustfires up, kept the AW's in the case.

Hard to argue with experience like that, thanks KC. Such batteries are usually fine for less demanding use (like say a flashlight or radio), but when the chips are down and flat out power is called for the AW IMRs are tops.

Another way to look at it is TV is a sharp outfit with solid engineering. They didn't choose a more expensive battery with lower capacity without good reason. Their entire product screams 'no compromises!' when you start to look at the details.

IMO well worth a dollar or two more for the best available. And with this month's 25% off code, their cheaper than before.....

OF

SameOldTim

Previously Known as 'ThermoCoreTim'
Manufacturer
Hi Tim,

How did you condition your 10440?

Just did a few full charges and discharges, easy and it seems to give a little more life after a few times. Make sure to charge them once they cool off though, no hot battery charging or you will lose life.

Hard to argue with experience like that, thanks KC. Such batteries are usually fine for less demanding use (like say a flashlight or radio), but when the chips are down and flat out power is called for the AW IMRs are tops.

Another way to look at it is TV is a sharp outfit with solid engineering. They didn't choose a more expensive battery with lower capacity without good reason. Their entire product screams 'no compromises!' when you start to look at the details.

IMO well worth a dollar or two more for the best available. And with this month's 25% off code, their cheaper than before.....

OF

We try out best ;)

Thanks OF!

OF

We try out best ;)

Thanks OF!

You're very welcome.

In this case, it's hardly an insightful observation on my part, many many people find you trying.....on many levels.....

That not withstanding, once again seems like 'you done good'.

OF

OF,

thevapenazi

NO FIRE FOR YOU!!
Hey folks,

Picked up my Thermovape Dart LV (with +timTLC) + alpha ultralite power supply.

i am still learning the unit, so I haven't been able to get massive clouds out of it yet, although there was one moment where i got quite a cloudy hit that tasted exactly like a dab and left some wax condensate on my teeth. These are the hits I'm after, and as pretty much a brand new dart LV user, I see why I should have taken OF's advice and went with the ultra instead of the ultralife first - i am having difficulty figuring out whether I flooded the tank, or if the batteries are dying, etc. i dont' seem to see the red glow below the ceramic element anymore, but that's likely because it is filled with oil. i am getting pretty thin hits now even with 30 seconds of priming, so I am wondering if the tank is empty and more concentrate needs to be added (which is weird, I've already put in .4g and haven't gotten too many good hits, just lots of little wispy ones).

Of the 3 batteries I got, one seems to be dead? It doesn't get the unit warm at all even after 30 seconds, and putting that batt back on the charger doesn't trigger a charge, just sits there at green. (and yes the charger is set to the 3.7V switch position). The other two batts seem to charge ok. Is this bad batt lost for good, or is there a way to resurrect it?

I'll say this though, immediately, I lost my love for the omicron v2. this tastes like a fresh dab each time. The omicron carts, after 2 weeks, tasted nasty - like old saliva and reclaim mixed together. the TV with ultralite is amazingly small and feels awesome in the hand to hold. Easy to conceal and pocket (aside from the lint collecting on the oil residue up top of the dart).

Looking forward to learning this unit, I can tell there are big hits in here with a little bit of practice. If anybody has any good tips I'd love to hear them - and if you're anywhere in the bay area I'd love to meet up with you for a face to face alpha ultralite sesh so i can watch how you use it, what kind of clouds you get from it (yeah... i'm a sucker for big clouds), etc.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to thermovape and Tim / Nick / etc. Everytime i swing by thermovape i leave smiling, people genuinely love their job and what they do. As soon as i walked in i heard SRV's "little wing" playing on the loudspeakers - one of my all time favorites. Man, I want a job @ TV! haha.

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
Great having you aboard the LV dart gravy train, pretty fun stuff in store for you I'm sure. First thing, get that battery replaced shoot an email to the tv team, they eat up broken batteries. So you like big clouds huh? My tip for this would be put a bb or a bit bigger ball of wax/oil what kind of consistency are you working with? I get bigger hits from my wax than my abv sticky oil, but with the right technique like you said you will become a dart ninja master. I put a bb size on the end, stick in the tube and hold the switch down for like 5 seconds, let it melt all down, then go ahead and take the dart out and load one more bb. It might come out a bit sticky after the heating so be careful sliding the dart tip out. Well once you are loaded up hold the switch down for 8-12 seconds before you take that hit. While your hitting, use your cheeks to inhale and keep a slow steady inhale like a thick milkshake, do not inhale fast. That air to vapor ratio your looking for is less air/more vapor for those big dabs that get wax on your lips! Mhhhh love that feeling. Good luck keep us updated!

Looking forward to learning this unit, I can tell there are big hits in here with a little bit of practice. If anybody has any good tips I'd love to hear them - and if you're anywhere in the bay area I'd love to meet up with you for a face to face alpha ultralite sesh so i can watch how you use it, what kind of clouds you get from it (yeah... i'm a sucker for big clouds), etc.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to thermovape and Tim / Nick / etc. Everytime i swing by thermovape i leave smiling, people genuinely love their job and what they do. As soon as i walked in i heard SRV's "little wing" playing on the loudspeakers - one of my all time favorites. Man, I want a job @ TV! haha.

I have the same setup that you have (Dart LV+Ultralite) and I LOVE it! It's super-ninja-stealth style and I was surprised at the clouds that I was able to get.

I removed the actual "dart" tip and use just the heating core. I primarily use stable budder, which is pretty easy to drop down the heating core tube, so I don't really need the dart tip. Another reason that I don't use the dart tip is that when I used it with oil, the oil wicked up the tip and clogged the air holes. But I'm not sure if removing the dart tip actually improves cloud production.

I usually put in a pellet of budder that's slightly larger than a bb and then let it heat up for around 15-20 seconds. I've found that giving the core the appropriate amount of time to get warm really affects vapor production.

With the dart tip removed, I can look down through the mouthpiece and see when the core starts to glow orange. I can also see when the vapor is being produced because it starts to obscure my view of the ceramic disc glowing orange. Then I know it's all good to go.

I use a really long, slow draw. The air intake is almost imperceptible, but it's there. If the draw isn't warm, then I know that the unit still needs to heat up. When the draw starts to become tight (like sucking milkshake through a straw, as KC mentioned), I start to pull harder until I feel like my lungs are full.

Then... ta da! Massive clouds and major medication!

Top Bottom